Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Male Pony population?

applejock

I should say, that I DO realize this is a show ment for young-teenish girls. Yet that is the exact reason im asking, as I wondering if the forcing of so many female and lack of male characters is a bit, ahm well, stereotypical?

Ten-20 years ago, sure, there was alot more "Dude mans" in action stuff. But even shows like GIjoe had a few girls running around, hell Scarlet wasnt even for eye candy..the Baroness however..cough.

Yet here we are 2013, with games/shows/movies having just as many bad ass girls with guns, bad attitudes and not over pixel coverd boob flesh, as the male stars. In this generation of MLP it just seems all the males are "busy". All in the army are we? That said, where are the female guards? 

Yes this is a Brony speaking, not a 10 year old girl. But isnt this sending the wrong message? I mean the filly population is like 80/20, with snips and snails being the only males with any screen time.

Ok so Pip had a nice role, but honestly fuck that accent and I am pleased its just one episode. But sh,ort of Mr Cakes, Big Mac, we are really lacking in the male roles that have "power role?" you know authority.

Face it Flashsentry was just an abortion, lol, the writers figured that out like half way thru EQ girls, imo.

And yes yes, Twi's big bro is captain of the guard, two of the Wonderbolts are male, and of course there is Snowflake...YAAAAAAH!

I guess I am asking about Ponyvilles population, not so much Canterlot or even the crystal emp, shoot you see lots of males walking the streets there.

Does the show need a male main character? A male unicorn around so Rarity isnt the only one in the group. I think the writers could do alot with a male char in the mane 6....buuuuuut sadly it would go down the road of pairing him off with one of the girls.

And I do agree, Romance, past the cakes, mac/chee, shouldnt effect the mains, unless you start that on day 1 of the series its a sign of jumping the shark.

Example of it WORKING in a series, see Elisa/Golith from Gargoyles, that tension was there from day one. lol not that it stops most fans in agreeing Demona would have been better for our dear Detective. So much Fem/fem shipping, so little time.

So anyways, PONYVILLE MALES, not enough? Need more? GO!

Scartlet,cover girl and lady jay, and eventually jinx.  Did i forget anyone?

that's 4 out of how many hundreds of joes?  ^^

I should say, that I DO realize this is a show ment for young-teenish girls. Yet that is the exact reason im asking, as I wondering if the forcing of so many female and lack of male characters is a bit, ahm well, stereotypical?

Ten-20 years ago, sure, there was alot more "Dude mans" in action stuff. But even shows like GIjoe had a few girls running around, hell Scarlet wasnt even for eye candy..the Baroness however..cough.

Yet here we are 2013, with games/shows/movies having just as many bad ass girls with guns, bad attitudes and not over pixel coverd boob flesh, as the male stars. In this generation of MLP it just seems all the males are "busy". All in the army are we? That said, where are the female guards? 

Yes this is a Brony speaking, not a 10 year old girl. But isnt this sending the wrong message? I mean the filly population is like 80/20, with snips and snails being the only males with any screen time.

Ok so Pip had a nice role, but honestly fuck that accent and I am pleased its just one episode. But sh,ort of Mr Cakes, Big Mac, we are really lacking in the male roles that have "power role?" you know authority.

Face it Flashsentry was just an abortion, lol, the writers figured that out like half way thru EQ girls, imo.

And yes yes, Twi's big bro is captain of the guard, two of the Wonderbolts are male, and of course there is Snowflake...YAAAAAAH!

I guess I am asking about Ponyvilles population, not so much Canterlot or even the crystal emp, shoot you see lots of males walking the streets there.

Does the show need a male main character? A male unicorn around so Rarity isnt the only one in the group. I think the writers could do alot with a male char in the mane 6....buuuuuut sadly it would go down the road of pairing him off with one of the girls.

And I do agree, Romance, past the cakes, mac/chee, shouldnt effect the mains, unless you start that on day 1 of the series its a sign of jumping the shark.

Example of it WORKING in a series, see Elisa/Golith from Gargoyles, that tension was there from day one. lol not that it stops most fans in agreeing Demona would have been better for our dear Detective. So much Fem/fem shipping, so little time.

So anyways, PONYVILLE MALES, not enough? Need more? GO!

The show needs a few more guys.

Not huge roles, a few speaking roles, a few names dropped on occasion,

i think fans should stop worring about jumping the shark.

Equistra girls happened.  It was cannon.  your still hear.

the shark has been jumped and no one left. ^^

I wouldn't mind more stallions and with MLP increasingly being regarded as not just another "girls show" we may very well see more stallions in this and possibly future generations of MLP. A good start would be giving a few of the stallions we have seen like Big Mac some more screen time. I disagree though that romance in and of itself would ruin the show, it shouldn't be arbitrarily shoe horned in but I wouldn't mind it if done right though wouldn't lose any sleep if it didn't become part of the show as there are plenty of fanfics with that.

I agree. Romance would be... wrong for the show, but we need at least one or two more prominent stallions. I mean, everyone of importance in the government (the only two people with importance, do the others even do anything?) is female.

Ya, maybe some stallion in the mane 6. 

But if they go down the romance part, there will be a hundred fics about killing the guy, and another hundred that kill the writer.

I mean, look at what happened to flash!

P.S.- I hate Flash Sentry.

While I'd like to see more stallions in the show with speaking roles and what not, the show should stay as it is (more or less) as it is. They shouldn't add romance plots and stallions in just for the sake of the more older fans.

We're supposed to be riding the train, not putting stuff on the tracks to derail it.

If they started catering to us we'd end up with something like the mov series only less blood and morbidity. XD

Edited by Malinter

Still sticking to Romance of the mane 6 (outside of our own shipping) but cannon would be a death stroak. Also, i never said i disliked EQ girls, in fact i am a huge fan! A Bron..err...huma...ahm..oh! Bromany!!

lol

It would be interesting to have moar male ponies. I mean, there's only a few of them, most of them are guards with the same color scheme. Not main characters or anything, but also male background characters.

Male alicorns anyone?

they need to make more main pony males because theres lots of males that watch the show and could give mlp a bigger audience

best male characters:

spike

discord

shining armor

dr.hooves

mr.cake

big macintosh

snails

snips

flim

flam

pipsqueak

royal guard

Edited by rainbowdash1212

Honestly, I couldn't care less about male ponies.

For me, it's all about the mares wub.png

Lol. Seriously, though; I like the idea of bringing more male ponies into the equation, you know, so many mares in Ponyville.

DO NOT put one in the mane 6, though. I don't care who he is or what he does, DO NOT put a male in the mane 6. It'd basically be the same as selling out; honestly, dude, do you think the target demographic cares if there's any males or not? No. I doubt they even noticed Flashhole in EQG.

So if the target demographic doesn't care about adding more stallions...then who would? Yep. You're right.

I love what the show is all about as it as, barring S3's portrayel of Rarity and Flash Sentry (Both of those were The. Worst. Possible. Thing!) They keep it to where it'd appeal to the target demographic still, but they'll throw in nods to us bronies. That's one of I find so alluring about the show; they mostly keep what the show is all about, but still notice and welcome us.

They didn't give us the finger and ignore us, but they didn't sell out and change what the show was all about just because it was more popular with us than the people they had in mind.

As a writer, I always respect stuff like that.

By the way, Big Mac, Shining Armour, and Discord are the only worthwhile males in the show.

I don't hate Spike, but I just can't ever remember he's a character. Ever. He could disappear from the show and I probably wouldn't notice. Not trying to be rude, but unless he's on screen, I forget :P

Just like guy audience focused shows have the mostly male characters , MLP whose target audience is females, has mostly female characters. I don't see a problem with this. There are as have been listed male characters in the show. While I know Spike doesn't have a lot of fans , he still is a male and still has decent sized row. And there are several male background ponies as well as the main ones listed.

If I didn't have other things to do , I think it'd be interesting to write a fanfic of basically most of the male ponies are gone because they're off at war ( similar to what happened in WWII) . Of course if you look at older pony gens they had the "big brother" ponies who were gone and came back.

I think that the ratio of males to females is something like 1;4 from the looks of it, although that's only a rough estimate. I'd say that that kind of ratio would also explain why there aren't a lot of children roaming around in the show. 

The gender ratio, however, is irrelevant to the overall theme of the show itself, so I don't concern myself too much with it.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

I'd be fine with them added a male character as long as they don't shoehorn him into every episode, that would just be awkward. Don't make him a love interest, this show was unique in that it didn't focuses on the famales tiring to get into a relationship every episode. Besides Meghan can't write love she's tried multiple times but it just came off as forced and awkward, "My love will give you strength," really?

Anyway If he was like Zicora that would be fine not in every episode but he's there every now and then...Kinda like how Big Mac is now.

Actually instead of adding a new character why not just expand on him.

I agree that the show needs more male characters and it would be really awesome if Bic Mac gets a bigger role in some episodes, because I think he is cute. And I really like Shining Armor. I had this fantasy for a romance between Twilight and Shining Armor. I know that they are siblings of course! Too much Game of Thrones. :D I think Twilight and Shining are just adorable together. ^_^

Since I'm sucker for romance, I'd probably love if there's something happening between somepony from the Mane 6 and somepony else. And I like TwilightxFlash perspective, but as ponies, not as humans. So I kind of hope for something in Season 4. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

I'm going to confess that the first 3-4 series I thought that Rainbow Dash is a male. Rainbow is so tomboyish and in the beginning of the series they nearly didn't show any male ponies, so it was kind of natural to think that maybe it is hard to make a difference.

they need to make more main pony males because theres lots of males that watch the show and could give mlp a bigger audience

best male characters:

spike

discord

shining armor

dr.hooves

mr.cake

big macintosh

snails

snips

flim

flam

pipsqueak

royal guard

You guys did forget about 1 male pony that was put into season 2. Pound Cake is a male. Even if he's a baby and will not get to many lines, he can be a male character that is around Pinkie Pie.

As for more males in the show, I'm fine with that. It should be shown that females can have close friendships with someone who is a male. The only thing that would rune it would be if they were in a relationship. I'm fine with relationships, but just do it in time. Show them having fun and than have them maybe forming a dating.

I think the show is fine the way it is, with not so many stallions/male characters and such. I'm not saying I'm against adding more male characters, it could be great if done correctly. I'm just saying the show doesn't seem to be flawed due to the fact that it lacks a large male population.

Also, I never really paid too much attention to the populations of Canterlot and the Crystal Empire. I'm assuming it was mostly mares as opposed to Stallions there also, just like in Ponyville?

I think that the population is fine, even with the female population's number over the male population. So, there is nothing wrong with the lack of stallions in my opinion.

I'm fine with the lack of males in the show. There are too many shows dominated by male characters as is. MLP is a good time to step away from that monotony and talk about fleshed out female characters, ones that aren't damsels in distress, disney princesses, reality stars, fashion contestants, or hardened cops/soldiers. 

But if you're wondering where are all the stallions at?

http://youtu.be/AyqIkc0Fflo

• Brohoof 1

Shining_Armor%2C_Captain_of_the_Royal_Gu

Ponies_and_royal_guards_outside_the_cast

Well, judging from the amount of pony guards we see in the show, I think it's a safe bet to say that there's more than a fair share of stallions serving in Equestria's military. Perhaps there's a mandatory year or so military service statute in Equestria like there is for many countries in the world. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever