Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Either FlutterDash/AppleDash Became Canon, What Would Happen?

BalanceBrony

I don't have anything against shipping two mares, but it could certainly be a source of contention among bronies. First you'll have some that like the pairing and are totally supportive of it in canon. But then you'll have others who like the pairing but not how it's done in canon, some who like other pairings and feel left out by the show, and finally some who are opposed to canon shipping entirely.

well, dont forget about those of us opposed to homosexual shipping! *hides as people throw clopping fanfics.*

I have another thread that covers the philosophical aspect of this discussion. It is titled "AppleDash vs. FlutterDash: The Real Conflict." If you want to read about my thoughts from an analytical perspective, head on over there.

If that's the case shouldn't this thread be put in sugar cube corner sense we're not discussing how it would be gotten on the show?

and sense we're not discussing that it's pure fanon and this is the in show discussion section.

Edited by FNGRpony

If that's the case shouldn't this thread be put in sugar cube corner sense we're not discussing how it would be gotten on the show?

and sense we're not discussing that it's pure fanon and this is the in show discussion section.

No, I don't think so. It is discussing what would happen if either pairing became canon. Hence, it does fit here. I'm just saying let's ignore the homo aspect, as that always leads to heated debate, and results in locks. Rather, we are just discussing what would happen if one of these became canon from the perspective that these are the two most popular fan shippings, in terms of content produced related to it.

No, I don't think so. It is discussing what would happen if either pairing became canon. Hence, it does fit here. I'm just saying let's ignore the homo aspect, as that always leads to heated debate, and results in locks. Rather, we are just discussing what would happen if one of these became canon from the perspective that these are the two most popular fan shippings, in terms of content produced related to it.

alright but from a fair stand point when ever i start off with "lets assume this became canon."

people immediately go to derail the thread. or ask how.  So much so if there can be a button for a standard disclaimer with your response on the forum i would love it LOL.

1. Rational thought would be thrown out the window (Dash isn't gay).
  2. The internet would explode.

Now. I don't want to start anything. However, I am somewhat offended that you declare any of the hundreds of bronies who believe this fact as objectively irrational, when there is no confirmation either way on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there would be mixed reactions, there would be those who wouldn't mind, those who love it, and those who hate it, either because they don't want a shipping cannon, or because they want a different one.

Honestly i doubt this would ever happen in the show really, but if it did i'd be pretty neutral to it, like i am with alot of stuff.

Who knows maybe it'd be cute idk.

I don't think its really necessary though, it might even seem a bit out of the blue.

As much as I like the idea, I don't think it is necessary for the show to go there. Shipping can be left to our imagination and we can be come up with our own ideas about what happens after the credits stop.

If shipping was made canon, I don't think anyone would be happy and that is too bad. It would just divide people and turn some against the show and its fans.

Personally I prefer TwiDash above all else, but back on topic;

As others have speculated there would probably be divides based not only on sexual/religious/political ideologies clashing, but pro and anti shippers similar to what we've had in the past with Twilicorn, Flash Sentry, and Equestria Girls.

Shippers of the pairing would be pleased, yes-but, that's only a small percentage when compared to those who ship them with others, are completely against shipping, or only prefer their shipping in a non-canon format such as fan art/fanfiction (as is the case with myself).

This could lead to a significant decline in viewership with those that have been alienated and could potentially lead to even more financial losses as at least a fraction of the viewers also buy the merchandise (the comics, mousepads, posters, DVDs, etc.)

And overprotective parents could also leave the show with another Derpy-like scenario with one or both characters and/or their relationship being censored, retconned, easter-egged, or cut completely.

There would be an outrage, as making a shipping like that canon would piss people off. Not so much because it's a gay shipping, but for the same reason TwiSentry pissed people off. If they officially ship any of the mane 6 there's going to be a bunch of people who it angers, simply because it messes up their shippings. That, and because bronies seem to dislike change. (Twilicorn)

As much as I love these 2 shippings, I wouldn't want them to become canon. It'd make the show have a different vibe to it. I'll just stick to my fan art, and fanfics. 

Also, remember the parents who freaked at derpy? If MLP had a lesbian shipping, just imagine how much they'd flip out over it.

Edited by Digital Tears

• 2 years later...

WSKdtFQ.png

I'm all for bringing in an lgbt pairing. I'm more inclined for it to be with a couple of the background characters though. As much as I'd love a mane six pairing coming to life, it would be easier to integrate into the show if its two background characters and it wouldn't take focus away from the main narrative.

(edited)

If the show was unable to make Lyra and Bon Bon a couple despite the two of them only being background characters, and having a lot of cruel shipteasing going on between the two of them, then I highly doubt that hasbro would allow the writers to make either of those ships become canon.

Edited by cmarston1

It never will, no ships will in general. Ships are completely irrelevant to the series and what it stands for. It's something that the fandom has (though I never understand why), and that's where it will stay. Unless it is a logical thing for the series to have, and one thing that won't get news stations attention (which it could possibly do, showing stuff like what the fandom creates shipping wise, is a little mature for the audience intended).

Really, I'm just saying this isn't really a topic worth questioning (though I'm sure everyone is aware). But I guess I put my answer in the above, so I'm still being relevant to it. :P