Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

One major hole that frustrates me in Daring Don't.

Jammo

You know how Do kept the ring safe in her book?

Remember how relieved she was that it was safe?

Remember how bad things could get with those rings in the wrong hand?

Remember how easy the ring broke if dropped?

WHY NOT JUST DESTROY IT!?

What good does keeping it intact have!?

• Brohoof 2

I know it's a plot hole that annoyed some people. She kept in the book and tried to keep it safe, so that she could write her next book. Anyway, she destroyed the ring so that left those plot hole questions.

It was her plan to get caught, get access to the fortress, and remove the rest of the golden rings.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

My best guess is that she wasn't sure that destroying just the one ring would do the job. So she had to have it as bait so she could get to the rest of them.

What she was checking for was not that the ring was 'safe' but that it wasn't taken without her going with it.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 1

Didn't she need the ring to get caught though? Her plan was to bring down the fortress, and she needed that ring to get in. It's true that letting Ahuizotl get the ring for that ritual was dangerous, but hey.. her name is Daring Do. Her plans usually involve heavy risks.

Doesn't this apply to, like, almost every fantasy story that involves some sort of artifact with terrible power? The heroes are always protecting it, nobody just destroys it.

There's usually a way to explain it; it also does good things but can be made to do bad things under certain circumstances, its cultural significance is so great that nobody would even consider destroying it, even worse things might happen if it was destroyed, its indestructible, etc.

I'd chalk this up to one of those.

Edited by Evilshy

It was her plan to get caught, get access to the fortress, and remove the rest of the golden rings.

My best guess is that she wasn't sure that destroying just the one ring would do the job. So she had to have it as bait so she could get to the rest of them.

Didn't she need the ring to get caught though? Her plan was to bring down the fortress, and she needed that ring to get in. It's true that letting Ahuizotl get the ring for that ritual was dangerous, but hey.. her name is Daring Do. Her plans usually involve heavy risks.

Except Daring Do didn't need to infiltrate the Fortress of Talicon. Ahuizotl needed the Ring of Destiny to cast a spell over the sun that beaconed high above the pyramid. Do had the Ring in her possession the whole time. If she destroyed it the second she saw it, then the spellcasting ceremony would've been meaningless because the rings are powerless without it. His plan would've been over before the henchcolts showed up to steal it and sell it to the black market.

She didn't destroy it simply to prolong what is a very contrived plot.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Bad writing?

I don't know it was something they could have fixed and to be fair most of this episode makes little sense when you think about it.

Exactly. Unless the fictional account is based upon real events, so it grounded in some kind is reality, the writer is always in danger of going astray if the main element of their story is off. I said in another thread that writing is like house building and it's not always helpful for the homeowner (reader) to look at the foundation or frame too closely. Unless the builder (writer) uses rotten timbers and the house (book) is badly off center. Edited by Nature's Spell

Maybe she needed to destroy that little statue holding all of the rings in Ahuizotl's temple so the rings would become powerless.

It's simple really

You know how Do kept the ring safe in her book?

Remember how relieved she was that it was safe?

Remember how bad things could get with those rings in the wrong hand?

Remember how easy the ring broke if dropped?

WHY NOT JUST DESTROY IT!?

What good does keeping it intact have!?

The ring she needed to destroy was the base ring at the bottom of the pile.

her ring was bait and when they did destroy the big ring it was from a much higher height.

Except Daring Do didn't need to infiltrate the Fortress of Talicon. Ahuizotl needed the Ring of Destiny to cast a spell over the sun that beaconed high above the pyramid. Do had the Ring in her possession the whole time. If she destroyed it the second she saw it, then the spellcasting ceremony would've been meaningless because the rings are powerless without it. His plan would've been over before the henchcolts showed up to steal it and sell it to the black market.

She didn't destroy it simply to prolong what is a very contrived plot.

Good point, well explained. I'm guessing the ring she had in her possession was bait, so that she could be able to remove the other rings?