Yellow Diamond

S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Also, they used the wilheim scream, yet again. And, yet again, it wasn't amusing. I don't understand why they keep using it.....

I'd have to agree. It's only been six episodes and they've already used it in almost every episode at least once. It was funny the first couple of times, but it has long over stayed its welcome.

• Brohoof 3

I'm calling it now: Mane-iac as new favorite villain. It's like Doc Oc crossed with Sedusa from PPG mixed with The Joker and finally ponified for good measure. Her voice actress especially sounds like she thoroughly enjoyed the role here. Though I have to wonder...she has an overpowered can of hairspray that not only temporarily petrifies ponies (cleverly fitting it a Medusa shout out possibly), but also completely nulls their powers? How does she lose with something like that?! I mean besides the fact that she has shown to fall victim to almost ever villains one weakness: A powerful urge to start monologuing.

As for the line-up, Pinkie is the Flash, AppleJack as Wonder Woman, Dash as one of any dozens of weather themed super heroes (Thor, Shazam/Captain Marvel, Storm, ect.) Rarity as an [insert color] lantern, Fluttershy as THE HULK! and Twilight as...as...I got nothing.

Now onto the episode itself, we have more potential plot points with the sisters' old castle being spruced up. That's three times now that castle has come into play (four if you count the first two episodes of Season 1) and if they don't plan on doing something big with it I will be severely disappointed. Spike is feeling useless (again) until the comic starts sucking them up in a...rather horrifying fashion actually. Jimanji comes to mind. 

Next we have the fight sequences (following the hilarious scene where Dash pulls a Leeroy Jenkins) before they are all unceremoniously frozen by Mane-iacs hair spray, prompting Spike to come save them. I liked the way each pony showcased her powers, but I still think they were defeated way too easily to try and bring about the conclusion. Once they all all freed however, they proceed to kick but in a most glorious fashion, though Rarity is once more in top form this episode when she skips down the steps she made. Fluttershy finally hulks out, defeats the Mane-iac (which for some reason causes feedback that causes her fair to tie her up straitjacket like rather neatly) and they all return home safe and sound and with the events of the comic behind them.

OR DO THEY!? The comic begins to glow and Mane-iac rises up from th- oh, no wait...the comic just disappears in a flash of light. That was a bit of a letdown...

All and all, this was still an enjoyable episode, especially for a comic book fan like myself. I could have used a touch more of the Mane 6 showcasing their powers, but I'm still satisfied with what we got. Though the "I got it from a mysterious enchanted comic book shop" closing seems like a really lazy way to sweep where the comic came from under the rug.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go drawn Mane-iac fanart before the tentacle hentai people get a hold of her. Excelsior!

I forgot to add that, the villain reminded me of Sedusa from the Powerpuff Girls as well with her crazy hair going all around and hitting things, I wonder if you got the Mane-iac's hair wet would it be like Sedusa's hair where it goes limp? 

• Brohoof 1

But....Wouldn't that have killed Spike haha?

No. Evidence that the laser would've just shocked him so I really don't think it would've killed him. Besides he has all kinds of abuse done to him so really he should be use to that by now.

Well, that was one of the most unique episodes in the series so far—not necessarily the best, mind you. I tend like when Spike gets in the spotlight or be the hero, and this was no exception. Though the moment that really made this episode was Flutterhulk's rampage near the end.

This was a fun and enjoyable episode overall.

Not sure what else I can say about Flutterhulk that already hasn't been said other than it was funny and terrifying at the same time.

As far as Spike episodes go, I'll say as a Spike fan this was a LOT better than Spike At Your Service and Just For Sidekicks buy a pretty good amount. Mainly because it actually hits a part of Spike that's always been bothering him. The fact he felt useless around his pony friends. Kudos to the writers for actually giving Spike some positive development in this episode.

Wow Season 4 has just been really awesome so far!

Flutterhulk wow..

The fact the book disappeared makes you wonder if you'll see the Mane-iac in a future episode.

Imagine the havoc she could bring upon Equestria!

One of the best Spike episodes since Dragon Quest.

Edited by DukeofCanterlot
  • Brohoof 2

I'd have to agree. It's only been six episodes and they've already used it in almost every episode at least once. It was funny the first couple of times, but it has long over stayed its welcome.

Eh, who cares, it's just a minor sound effect. Although, they have been a bit spammy with it since season 3 I'll admit...
  • Brohoof 1

Rarity is most fabulous Pink Lantern!!!

This was cute, I got a hood laugh at this one.

So was this alternate world?? Or just a Genjutsu on a book...

Ahh who cares... although I would have thought Dash would have challenged Pinkys Speed

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

Man it sucks not to have the hub on my TV. :( I really want to see the episode, but so far I haven't been able to find any good links. :(

Can't wait to see it though! :D I'm sure it's going to be epic! :)

Rarity is most fabulous everything :D

I really think Rarity was best power pony though, and I'm stating this objectively (for once :D)

So true, so true.

I think this will be one of the episodes that I could watch over and over

• Brohoof 1