Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Derpy loved so much?

Winona the Dog

I obviously think she's a bit TOO overrated. She even gets more love than the main characters in the show which are probably Rarity and AJ but that doesn't mean I hate her.

The reason why she is loved so much is one, the brony fandom is overreacting to the fact that she just a cartoon pony with a harmless disadvantage and an obession with muffins. Thats basically all we know about her: she lob=ves muffins and her eyes are always derped and also to add that according to her cutiemark she has bubbles so that might give a clue that she has a bubbly somewhat personality.

Edited by Cherry Changa
  • Brohoof 2

Derpy's neat and all...but I will go no further than neat. She is overrated, even though her appearance in "The Last Roundup" gets the story started. Call me a party pooper but a character has to have more than derp eyes, a bubble cutie mark, dropping things on Twilight's head ONCE and the line "muffiiiinnn..." to entice me. So the fandom going crazy for her seems a little trivial and overreactive. Lyra and Bon Bon I'm not even going to try to understand.

What I find interesting about Derpy is that it's a instance where the fans influence the cartoon, not the other way around. "The City Of Clipsville" episode of The Powerpuff Girls was the same way. A further proof of how communicating via the internet has changed life.

I always thought it was because as a whole, the fandom feels a little like Derpy. She's weird. She does strange things. She says the wrong thing at the wrong time. Her eyes draw attention because they aren't the norm. She's not really accepted by those around her, which is the way most of us feel since we're watching a pastel colored peppy, happy girls show.

But it's not only this. Derpy seems to even rival Luna in popularity. That's right LUNA!!!! She has a lot of specific animations dedicated to her (the ones I've seen) so I'm just curious about why she's loved by so many people.

Perhaps you guys can enlighten me.

I know Luna's popular with the fans, but I'd not say that she even comes close to rivaling Derpy. I think Derpy firstly became popular due to being an animation error and the "controversy" helped her fame grow from there, not to mention she's also cutest pony  :wub:

Cause Derpy is absolutely friggin' adorable in every way possible! Does there need to be another reason??

img-2149044-1-Awwwwwww-she-s-so-cute-der

I mean look at that if you don't think that is cute, then you have no soul... 

D'awww that's one of the cuter pictures I've seen of her.

I personally like this one

derpy_tunes_by_ranviet-d6eqc3k.jpg

I don't really rate a pony based on thier cuteness or appearance. (This is why I didn't really like Fluttershy because everyone only liked her for her cute appearance, shy nature and innocent like personality.)

How do you rate them then?

• Brohoof 1

I don't really rate a pony based on thier cuteness or appearance. (This is why I didn't really like Fluttershy because everyone only liked her for her cute appearance, shy nature and innocent like personality.)

Because Fluttershy's special role is to be the most cutiest character. Derpy hasn't got this role, she's not trying to be cute, but she is!

Edited by Artemis
Removed inappropriate response to a post now removed.

But why imagine a huge personality and backstory behind something that is already created. People could always spend their time creating stories for their own OC's right? Iunno, i like derpy, but i don't get why people spent so much time drawing her when you could draw your own very special and orgional pony? I didn't understand this with octavia and vinyl scratch as well. Meh, i still enjoy all the content created though  :lol:

Derpy's just cute. She's like me in that I can be clumsy. Plus, her eyes... they way they move out of sync is so cute! I endeared to her a lot more after I read some comics about her being shipped with Dr. Whooves and her appearance at the start of "The Last Roundup".

Well I think one reason Derpy got

to much love was she was well, a pony

that the fans of show could claim

and make their own in some ways

as the fan base has grown but also

in the pairing of her with Dr.Hooves  

in a lot of vids/fanfics/art and etc just

made all the more cute.

I like herself just based on her place in 

the fandom and how the MLP fans have given

her place in well this fandom and love!

• Brohoof 1

Cause Derpy is absolutely friggin' adorable in every way possible! Does there need to be another reason??

img-2149044-1-Awwwwwww-she-s-so-cute-der

I mean look at that if you don't think that is cute, then you have no soul... 

Look, I'm saying this with all due respect, and I mean WITH ALL DUE RESPECT (which basically means I can say whatever I want and get away with it. #murica #freedomofspeech #firstamendment), but is that all people care for the character about? If so, that's extremely superficial of people. It's a character with very few lines, next to no impact on the plotline, and she gets all sorts of attention just due to a mere animation mistake. Sure, Hasbro eventually acknowledged her to an extent as a symbol of Bronies, but seriously, all just because people thought it was cute? That's superficiality in my book. I can see Rainbow Dash as a much more fitting symbol as she actually has a huge role in the show, so she has perfect reason to have so much hype. But Derpy? I can't see very much in her that isn't on the surface. Now, I'm not trying to be a dick to Derpy fans out there (or it could be I am in a very bad mood at the time of writing this, but hey I said "with all due respect" at the beginning, so that means I get to say whatever I want, right?), but I honestly saw the whole Derpy thing as a stupid instance of superficiality. Yeah, of course fanart and fanwork was all created centered around this character, but that's beside the point. It's superficiality that led to all of this.

Edited by Ragin' Red Talon

Hasbro eventually acknowledged her to an extent as a symbol of Bronies, but seriously, all just because people thought it was cute? That's superficiality in my book. I can see Rainbow Dash as a much more fitting symbol as she actually has a huge role in the show, so she has perfect reason to have so much hype.

No. 

All I've got to say is the way it'd divide up the fanbases if one of the mane 6 had the role of Derpy would destroy this fandom with either elitism or feelings of inferiority.

That's the only reason I find Derpy to be an acceptable mascot for the fandom, because a mane 6 having the role of Derpy would rip things apart with inflated and deflated egos.

That goes for any of the mane 6, not just Rainbow Dash.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

It is because Derpy is now a symbol of the fandom itself. The fandom of MLP in the early days noticed that one small animation error, and now look at where she is now. 

In my opinion, Lyra's better. Or Flitter. Or Quickfix.

No. 

All I've got to say is the way it'd divide up the fanbases if one of the mane 6 had the role of Derpy would destroy this fandom with either elitism or feelings of inferiority.

That's the only reason I find Derpy to be an acceptable mascot for the fandom, because a mane 6 having the role of Derpy would rip things apart with inflated and deflated egos.

That goes for any of the mane 6, not just Rainbow Dash.

I just don't really know what you're getting at with the egotism and everything.

I just don't really know what you're getting at with the egotism and everything.

There's 6 ponies.

The "mane" 6.

Those 6 ponies are considered the protagonists of the show, and, in retrospect, have 6 of the 7 or so largest fanbases.

With that being said, none of those characters need to be put up above the rest of the mane 6; that's what started the whole "Twilicorn" nonsense.

If we were to give RD the role of Derpy, it'd not only give a heightened sense of importance to the RD fans, because their best pony would be the representative of the whole community, but it'd put down the rest of the fans of the other 6 with feelings of inferiority, because their pony WOULDN'T be #1.

It'd be unfair to the rest of the mane 6 and fans of the rest of the mane 6.

Again, like it would any other mane character.

Just give it to a Derpy or a Luna, someone who isn't a protagonist.

There's 6 ponies.

The "mane" 6.

Those 6 ponies are considered the protagonists of the show, and, in retrospect, have 6 of the 7 or so largest fanbases.

With that being said, none of those characters need to be put up above the rest of the mane 6; that's what started the whole "Twilicorn" nonsense.

If we were to give RD the role of Derpy, it'd not only give a heightened sense of importance to the RD fans, because their best pony would be the representative of the whole community, but it'd put down the rest of the fans of the other 6 with feelings of inferiority, because their pony WOULDN'T be #1.

It'd be unfair to the rest of the mane 6 and fans of the rest of the mane 6.

Again, like it would any other mane character.

Just give it to a Derpy or a Luna, someone who isn't a protagonist.

With that last sentence, that got me thinking. I know it was just an animation error, but then the "title" of the mascot would be up for grabs by Luna, even. So why, I wonder, was she not in the Derpy role?

With that last sentence, that got me thinking. I know it was just an animation error, but then the "title" of the mascot would be up for grabs by Luna, even. So why, I wonder, was she not in the Derpy role?

Can't give a for sure answer on the Luna thing.

I just want equality amongst the 6 major characters, and no one to judge another by their best pony.

That's why RD shouldn't rep the fandom, just like Rarity shouldn't, or Twilight shouldn't, etc, etc.

It'd create inequality.

As for the Luna thing, I'd have to guess the "Derp Face" meme that was super popular around the time of the animation error spawned the whole Derpy thing :D

Can't give a for sure answer on the Luna thing.

I just want equality amongst the 6 major characters, and no one to judge another by their best pony.

That's why RD shouldn't rep the fandom, just like Rarity shouldn't, or Twilight shouldn't, etc, etc.

It'd create inequality.

As for the Luna thing, I'd have to guess the "Derp Face" meme that was super popular around the time of the animation error spawned the whole Derpy thing :D

All I really said was I could understand why Rainbow is so liked by the fandom. Lol. But looks like Derpy was at the right place at the right time?

Why question?

Derpy is a well loved character because she represents something. It doesn't matter if you have ANY disabilities. You are who you are don't be afraid to be you! She represents that. Her disability is her being a clumsy pony and having Derpy eyes. That's why we call her: Derpy.

When the episode: The Last Round Up episode aired. It did piss off what we call, Soccermoms because they were all worked up over Derpy because of her appearence. I thought that was the most retarded thing I've ever heard because there are plenty of shows out there that have retarded characters. Derpy though is special(I know, SAME THING) For example:

1) Ed, Edd, Eddy. Character: Ed. The tall idiot of the group. He's a loved character because he's friendly, a great friend. Has a weird but entertaining personality. He's just who he is and he's not ashamed of it.

2) Cow and Chicken: Character: Cow: The dumb animal of the show. I didn't know Cow was a female o.o. Anyway, she is who she is and isn't ashamed. She has a weird personality like anyone else would. She's just like everybody else in a unique way.

3) Ninja Mutant Turtles. Character: Michaelangelo: He's not really retarded. He's just likes to have fun and joke around.. But I admit, he does have the stupidest Ideas.

Those are just 3 shows I had to point out that have weird, special characters. Out of ALL shows, those bitches had to go off on Derpy.. like seriously? That was uncalled for.

All it was, was a error made by Hasbro in which actually didn't feel bad about because of a realization that us the fans love Derpy with our hearts. When the call was made about Derpy either being changed or removed from the show, we got upset about it and that's when the videos of: Save Derpy took place. Hasbro saw it and made the decision to NOT remove derpy, but instead fix Derpy. Sure they didn't like it like we didn't, but we knew it was to keep Derpy in the show.

Derpy just has a bubbly personality. That's why her cutie mark are bubbles. Shes a loveable character, enjoys being around others and likes to help out. She has a good heart and likes to make other ponies(or people) happy. That's what I love about her. She makes me happy when I'm down or upset. I'm sure she does the same for alot of you too.

This is my 2 cents. 

Sure, Hasbro eventually acknowledged her to an extent as a symbol of Bronies, but seriously, all just because people thought it was cute? That's superficiality in my book. I can see Rainbow Dash as a much more fitting symbol as she actually has a huge role in the show, so she has perfect reason to have so much hype

All I really said was I could understand why Rainbow is so liked by the fandom.

No, that's why I said this. If that's all it was, I really wouldn't have said anything :D

Now, all I'm saying is that RD having the role that Derpy plays to the fandom would rip things apart by creating (more) inequality between the fanbases, as the 6 biggest fanbases are, of course, the mane 6, all of them being protagonists and such.

Total equality may never exist in the world, let alone our fandom, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to reduce such a thing, and your suggestion would only amplify it :D

I hope you understand what I'm saying here :D Seeing that suggestion worried me, dude. It'd throw off the whole balance of things, and I'd feel compelled to say this even if it were Rarity instead of RD, for the reasons I listed. :D

Look, I'm saying this with all due respect, and I mean WITH ALL DUE RESPECT (which basically means I can say whatever I want and get away with it. #murica #freedomofspeech #firstamendment), but is that all people care for the character about? If so, that's extremely superficial of people. It's a character with very few lines, next to no impact on the plotline, and she gets all sorts of attention just due to a mere animation mistake. Sure, Hasbro eventually acknowledged her to an extent as a symbol of Bronies, but seriously, all just because people thought it was cute? That's superficiality in my book. I can see Rainbow Dash as a much more fitting symbol as she actually has a huge role in the show, so she has perfect reason to have so much hype. But Derpy? I can't see very much in her that isn't on the surface. Now, I'm not trying to be a dick to Derpy fans out there (or it could be I am in a very bad mood at the time of writing this, but hey I said "with all due respect" at the beginning, so that means I get to say whatever I want, right?), but I honestly saw the whole Derpy thing as a stupid instance of superficiality. Yeah, of course fanart and fanwork was all created centered around this character, but that's beside the point. It's superficiality that led to all of this.

And with all due respect I certainly think people like her character a lot not just she happens to be cute... Sheesh there a tons of other reasons I like derpy just as everyone else that likes her.

It's pretty obvious why people like her character due to the fandoms dedication and spin off works based on her character.

• Brohoof 1