Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 4: Sort of disappointing?

Hangman

Seasons 1 and 2 were great. Season 3 had a lot of buildup, it was too short to really say that it was good or bad. Equestria Girls was surprisingly good. But season 4 so far... I just think that there isn't as much substance to the story lines. I think the songs seem a little forced on. They aren't really catchy. I am still going to watch every episode. Season 4 isn't BAD, it just doesn't seem like as much time was put into it. Anypony else feel the same way?

As far as S4 goes, I think Dash said it best:

Needs-to-be-about-20-percent-cooler-my-l

Different opinions, I guess. I've noticed a lot of people saying that the current season is disappointing and that it's not as great as the other three seasons, but we're still only 8 episodes in and the criticizing train is still rolling. I feel a different way for this season. I'm enjoying that the episodes are building up to something, it's really showing how the writers are trying to adapt with the new episodes in the terms of continuity.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 7

Actually I think Season 4 so far is a welcome return to form after the disappointing season 3.  I like that they're really building the standalone nature of episodes with an overall story arc.  By that I mean the episodes work well on their own, but at the same time there is a sense of continuity and they do seem to be building towards something.  This latest episode for instance works totally fine as an episode by itself, but at the same time you see with the shimmering spool of rainbow thread that there seems to be something more to it as well. 

I for one am very excited.  We haven't had three straight episodes this strong since sometime in season 2.

• Brohoof 9

Hey, I don't expect Emmy quality from MLP. So I'm very happy with what I've been given so far in season 4, and seriously, we've barely even begun Season 4! There's 26 episodes to this season! Plenty of time for you to change your opinion!

• Brohoof 6

Bad? Nah. Disappointing? Maybe.

If you ask me, the episodes has been created in a good way and I enjoy to watch them. However I'm not sure what to say about the episodes themselves, you see it feels like they create episodes based off what they think we would want to see...  ...Which is good! It's great how they included things such as the moon-banning story and all that. But it feels like some of the things were quite stupid adds that were just in there for us to have a laugh at and stuff. Instead of focusing every single new episode on something super big cause they think it will be so great to watch, they could step down with all the super powers and villains etc and just maybe have an episode about something simpler. I'll just mention a couple of things so you get what I mean; being late often, eat healthy, respect others and be accepting, ask before assuming things, and so on. Without any fancy stuff and without evil magic creatures. Just the ponies facing normal problems in ponyville. Maybe sounds boring to you people, but I'd like to see some more of that. The only disappointing episode so far has been power ponies. It was just stupid, tbh. If it were a dream of Spike's, I'd be cool with it. But now it was "reality" and Fluttershy became the hulk... Yeah...

..And then we got the pinkie episode :3

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 7

Bad? Nah. Disappointing? Maybe.

If you ask me, the episodes has been created in a good way and I enjoy to watch them. However I'm not sure what to say about the episodes themselves, you see it feels like they create episodes based off what they think we would want to see...  ...Which is good! It's great how they included things such as the moon-banning story and all that. But it feels like some of the things were quite stupid adds that were just in there for us to have a laugh at and stuff. Instead of focusing every single new episode on something super big cause they think it will be so great to watch, they could step down with all the super powers and villains etc and just maybe have an episode about something simpler. I'll just mention a couple of things so you get what I mean; being late often, eat healthy, respect others and be accepting, ask before assuming things, and so on. Without any fancy stuff and without evil magic creatures. Just the ponies facing normal problems in ponyville. Maybe sounds boring to you people, but I'd like to see some more of that. The only disappointing episode so far has been power ponies. It was just stupid, tbh. If it were a dream of Spike's, I'd be cool with it. But now it was "reality" and Fluttershy became the hulk... Yeah...

Very well put! To add to the part I agree with the most: the part where you say they throw things in there they think we would want to see. When Pinkie sang "fruit bat round up fruit bat round up" I think that is a good example. Yeah it was cute and clever. But I just think there was just something off about it. I also agree with the ponies just dealing with everyday problems as well. I am not saying that I hate season 4. I just think it needs to be about 20% cooler. On a positive note, I will say every episode I have watched took me by surprise. They are are doing a good job on focusing on each pony and setting them up in an environment that compliments their character. I would not be surprised to see a Derpy episode at the rate they are going. I am excited to see where this season takes us. I really do hope that it will get better later on.

By far these episodes have the best animation but I was kinda expecting a bit more character developement with Twilight, but I suppose I could be jumping the gun? I mean we are only into episode 8... but I was just expecting her to be a little different in regards to responsibilities and understanding every pony's view on situations, kinda like in the episode Bats, she automatically sides with AJ on her debate against the fruit bats, but doesn't even stop to consider Fluttershy's side to it all? A princess needs to hear both sides of a situation... So i thought that was off for her character somewhat but I can understand them not wnating her to be too UP THERE in her royal duties I guess.

Still I am enjoying the season and am hoping for more!

• Brohoof 6

Eh, not really. not to me, but its your opinion, so if thats how you feel its how you feel.

I personally still enjoy the show, but i'm an easy pleaser, so that shouldn't really come as a shock.

Regardless i'm happy and enjoy watching the episodes, which i guess is the most important thing for myself concerning the show in the end.

• Brohoof 2

I'm enjoying Season 4. Mainly because I know that there is something interesting that has to happen at the end of the season that we don't know yet. The latest episode introducing Coco was nice as well. Honestly, I don't see a problem with Season 4.

Season 4 has so far had a much better consistent level of quality than Season 3, it's been doing some different things which troubles some people but I haven't thought any single episode was outright BAD yet, I mean some were kinda meh but by this point in every prior season at least one episode had been outright terrible to me.

Also Equestria Girls? really? Pretty much any S4 episode crushes EQG. 

• Brohoof 2

Season 4 has actually made me more interested in the show than before. I always found season 1 to be unreasonably dull but it was the first season, so I can't really blame them. Season 4 seems to be taking more chances than usual and whether any of those chances have been bad yet are completely up to debate. I'm enjoying it and I believe the episodes seem to be getting better and better, but that's just me. 

• Brohoof 1

Flight to the Finish

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Your argument is invalid.  This season has had three episodes that are the picture of excellence.  The only way you can be disappointed in it is if you have a deep seeded hatred for perfection.

mlfw1832-PinkieGonnaHate_CS.gif

• Brohoof 4

To be honest I have enjoyed this season so far compared to season 1, I don't know why, but season 1 isn't my favorite of all, but this current season, I haven't hated a single episode that's aired. I loved the route that's been chosen for this season and the premiere parts 1 and 2 were amazing both story wise and animation wise. The animation looks fantastic this season and the songs I haven't hated a single song, I am excited for the next airing episodes especially the one showing Weird Al as a party pony. #hype!

• Brohoof 2

Flight to the Finish

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Your argument is invalid.  This season has had three episodes that are the picture of excellence.  The only way you can be disappointed in it is if you have a deep seeded hatred for perfection.

img-2177207-1-mlfw1832-PinkieGonnaHate_C

I love season 4

but your being very annoying with that crap.

Furlong "her her someones disagreeing with me they must be a hater!"

• Brohoof 1

I love season 4

but your being very annoying with that crap.

Furlong "her her someones disagreeing with me they must be a hater!"

mlfw2657-Oh_you.png

News flash, everypony: FNGRpony and I are having an argument!  Has he made that clear yet?

Anyway, buddy, I do believe I am allowed to voice my opinion, no matter how stupid or bias it may be.  If you feel that I am being overly-insulting with my comments, report them rather than insult me back.  If I am stepping out of line, continually responding to me just invites me to step farther out of line.  Especially when you're being just as curt and haughty as I am.

Anyway, perhaps I should clarify my statement.  There have been only 8 episodes that aired so far.  None of them are largely hated.  Closest we can come to is Castle Mane-ia, which most regard as "meh", and we have 3 episodes that are almost universally loved.  Being disappointed in this season just doesn't make sense.

• Brohoof 3

Everyone has their own opinion. I just happen to disagree with yours. :P I like this season more than season 1 and 3. I probably haven't enjoyed a season this much since season 2. I like how there is a story line in this season instead of just episodes that just stand alone. Also, I find the songs this season to be pretty amazing. The only episode I didn't like as much would probably have to be Power Ponies, and it's not even that bad. I think it's a bit to early to judge this season just based off of 8 episodes though :derp:

img-2177341-1-mlfw2657-Oh_you.png

News flash, everypony: FNGRpony and I are having an argument!  Has he made that clear yet?

Anyway, buddy, I do believe I am allowed to voice my opinion, no matter how stupid or bias it may be.  If you feel that I am being overly-insulting with my comments, report them rather than insult me back.  If I am stepping out of line, continually responding to me just invites me to step farther out of line.  Especially when you're being just as curt and haughty as I am.

Anyway, perhaps I should clarify my statement.  There have been only 8 episodes that aired so far.  None of them are largely hated.  Closest we can come to is Castle Mane-ia, which most regard as "meh", and we have 3 episodes that are almost universally loved.  Being disappointed in this season just doesn't make sense.

Of course your allowed to voice your opinion.  

and there's a right, wrong and #**K to do everything.  your's is the far left option.

and no troll has ever starved on my watch.  it's against my religion.  I just like discussion to much^^.

Objectively we are 1/3 into the season.

can you tell in a movie if you like it or not 1/ 3?  Course you can.  We have a pretty good feal.

I had issues with two episodes and only hates one.

But you know what?  Not every episode is for me.  I'm not so selfish that i need every episode to be power ponies, daring don't, or princess twilight sparkle,

I can be open to your ideas and expressions but 

if I can do that you should be okay with someone saying "i don't like season 4" with out calling them a hater.

Does every video gamer have to like halo or madden?

Not every mlp fan is going to like power ponies,

or flight to the finish,

or even rarity takes,

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm not disappointed, but I don't feel as engaged as I did last season. I don't speak for everyone, but I have a few personal answers as to why I feel this way.

1. The much more continuity based nature of the episodes this season makes the episodes feel less like standalone stories and more like a build-up to something.
  2. Building off that, slice-of-life stories has decreased, and there's a different feel this time around.
  3. None of the episodes have blown me away like S3 immediately did with "The Crystal Empire" and "Too Many Pinkie Pies!".
  4. I haven't rewatched the new episodes as much as I used to.
  5. This is gonna sound crappy, but I think my art not getting accepted by EQD sort made me move away from checking that site more regularly, and now I'm a bit more disconnected from the community.
  6. I wasn't as mentally psyched going into this season. All my hype was stolen by--

tumblr_mv2b7jklvs1qeafupo1_500.gif

• Brohoof 2

My feeling is that S4 is sort of going the way of S3, there are a few episodes so far that are AMAZING! (Princess Twilight, power ponies, Daring Don't, Bats) and the rest are just kind of okay. And a lot of folks have been saying this and I tend to agree, but are the mane 6 all there in every episode for no good reason. We'll see if the rest of the season picks up after saturday I suppose. I guess the main plotline with the keys just makes all the other episodes which are not about the keys feel like filler episodes, awesome filler, but still filler.

Different opinions, I guess. I've noticed a lot of people saying that the current season is disappointing and that it's not as great as the other three seasons, but we're still only 8 episodes in and the criticizing train is still rolling. I feel a different way for this season. I'm enjoying that the episodes are building up to something, it's really showing how the writers are trying to adapt with the new episodes in the terms of continuity.

Have to agree with you.

I really didn't like season 3 that much, personally it felt like a lot of fan service and a bit all over the place! I still liked it as it was mlp but not to the same existent as s1/2 which I have re watched over and over

Personally loved all s4 so far and feel like it's getting back to its best :)

So far I've enjoyed Season 4 a lot more than I did Season 3.

I'm yet to see any really weak episode so far this season. The opener is perhaps easily my favorite two-parter of the series, which is of course, a big plus.

Although, it has been a little weird (Flutterbat? lol), and if it really ends with the Rainbow Power thing that might be a bit disappointing, but who knows? If it is to happen, we haven't even seen how it is implemented yet. So I'm keeping optimistic this time. =)

• Brohoof 1

My tastes must lay on a complete opposite end of the spectrum from some of you because S4 is actually my favorite so far and it's holding my attention and proving far more enjoyable than season 3(or even going back and watching some of early season 1)

• Brohoof 1