Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 4: Sort of disappointing?

Hangman

Flight to the Finish

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Your argument is invalid. This season has had three episodes that are the picture of excellence. The only way you can be disappointed in it is if you have a deep seeded hatred for perfection.

img-2177207-1-mlfw1832-PinkieGonnaHate_C

I wouldn't say these were 'perfection' however much I loved Rarity takes Manehattan... But that's just my opinion

On the other hand I'm really enjoying this season... I always do :)

Edited by JellyBean

This season is definitely better than season three, but I don't think it passes season one or two, at least not yet. Of course, this is all subjective. It is a bit early on to really say, but I've been pretty disappointed with some of the episodes in season four. Bats! was absolutely terrible, and Power Ponies wasn't much better off. Rarity takes Manehatten was okay, but it just didn't manage to wow me or anything. Daring Don't was about the same. I loved the other episodes this season so far though.

It just doesn't have that same charm to it. This season is more catered to bronies with all the references, and the more adventure/story arc type episodes so it feels different. I wish we'd have more slice of life type episodes. I like adventure/story arc episodes, but slice of life is what this show does best. :) So yeah, it is kind of disappointing, for me anyway, but everybody has different opinions.

Edited by Rough Pathway
  • Brohoof 1

I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something about this season that falls flat for me. One thing I can say with confidence is that the songs leave very little impact on me. As some users have said, they seem forced. I also think that the tunes aren't as catchy and the lyrics are a bit fudgey. I couldn't tell you the name, tune or any of the lyrics to any of the songs in season 4.

As for the episodes, none of them really have left much impact on me, either. I'm just not really into the ideas of them, for the most part. Again, I'm having a hard time pinning down why that is as compared to previous seasons. But it's just not as impactful and not as interesting for me.

• Brohoof 1

Do I think Season 4 is disappointing?

My answer:

Its really good so far. Its the best since Season 2, and we had that shitty third season after that. So why complain about a great season?

• Brohoof 1

Not really. No season so far has been pure gold, and season 3 was very weak. I'd say it's on the same level as season 2 was at this point.

However, I will say that the songs have been very disappointing so far. Only Rarity's generosity song was good, the rest were a bit annoying.

Edited by FlutterDash4072

For me, the season got off to a somewhat slow start (the premiere was alright, but definitely not my favorite and I wasn't overly fond of "Castlemania" or "Daring Don't" either), but I think they have been on a role ever since. I really enjoyed "Flight to the Finish," "Power Ponies" and "Rarity Takes Manehatten." Meanwhile, "Bats!" and "Pinkie Apple Pie" are probably up with my all time favorite episodes. So, all in all, I think the season is shaping up quite nicely. I'm also quite looking forward to "Three's a Crowd" and "Pinkie Pride" based on the descriptions :)

• Brohoof 1

Just saw Pinkie Apple Pie. I am happy to say that it is pretty good. Looks like it is starting to take off. Based on the titles and synopsis I have read on EQD, I think it is going to get a lot more interesting.

• Brohoof 1

Just saw Pinkie Apple Pie. I am happy to say that it is pretty good. Looks like it is starting to take off. Based on the titles and synopsis I have read on EQD, I think it is going to get a lot more interesting.

Have to agree with you there! This is my favorite episode so far, well plus the first and second one as well because it had discord in it hehe! I truely hope to see discord again. But this episode of Pinkie Apple Pie, I love the animation, I love the song, I love the moral values of it, having friends is can be like having another member in the family. Totally true considering, I mean my husband started out as my best friend for instance, now he's part of the family! I strongly believe that the bestest friends can defiently be part of the family too.

• Brohoof 1

A few of the earlier episodes were kind of "meh", particularly Daring Don't, but it's been on a roll since Power Ponies. It's the best streak of episodes since the first five of season 2.

I don't know where it stands in comparison to the first two seasons, but it's better than 3 so far.

• Brohoof 1

We're only 9 episodes in, so You really should jump the gun just yet. Just sayin' Personally I'm liking this season so far. Not trying to sound biased or something, but I haven't had a problem with any episode yet.

The season I cherish most is probably season 2, because I started watching when the premier aired.

I watched season 1 along side of season 2 and while the episodes seem more..genuine? Innocent? They were kind of bland to me.
Although there were gems from both seasons.
Season 3 really fell for me. I just like MMC and maybe Keep Calm and Flutter on. But the season was so..short.

I really like this season so far. There are a couple "meh" episodes for me but even those are pretty enjoyable. I've Loved all the songs so far (although "Hearts Strong as Horses" is my least favorite this season) and I developed more of an appreciation for Rarity and the Apple Family.
Oh, and I love the story arc and the cliffhangers too. :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Hmmmmm......no, I'm not disappointed in the slightest. This season has been wonderful so far. Each episode has delivered great content so far, superb facial expressions, great morals, comedy, Rarity, build-up (which is something we haven't had in previous seasons), great songs, Rarity, various characters really showing how much they've changed from previous seasons (especially Fluttershy), and did I mention Rarity? All in all, this is a great season and I haven't disliked any of the episodes, and that's a lot more than I can say for either seasons 1 and 2.

Just stop it. I don't mean to take this out on you personally, but every season people complain that this season is disappointing. I honestly don't know what everyone is expecting.

• Brohoof 4

Well...... I kinda feel the same way. I find a lot of the episodes in season 4 frustrating, though I do enjoy some of the them. I really want to enjoy season 4 but I find it so hard. This is also why I am completely denying season 5 and waiting for actual proof that it is confirmed. I am worried that I may actually hate season 5. An emotional part of the show is missing for me, and I don't think it is coming back. I know I am not growing out of the show because I can still watch the old episodes and enjoy them. 

Beats having the whole show being canceled. Personally, I wouldn't say disappointing, but something feels missing.

You are correct about something missing, I feel the same way.

Edited by Emperor Posh
  • Brohoof 1

For all those that can't quite pinpoint why they aren't as enthralled, or feel that the season has a different mood to it...

I'm pretty sure this is why...

When the series started out, it was a wonderful little show about friendship, and learning lessons...

But they did it in a fun and creative way that made re-learning these lessons enjoyable! Why were we so attracted as bronies?

Because it opened up a sensitive part of our hearts that connected us with the show...it put us in a positive mood

and reminded us how important love and morality is...Just listen to the intro!...like we all know it...

but really listen to it...that's what's missing from season 4..."A Beautiful Heart faithful and strong, sharing kindness, it's an easy feat..." in fact, I think this season's new intro sums it up pretty well...there's so much crammed in there that's been added...luna, discord, the whole town at the end...there's too much going on...I feel what's missing the most, is the message...

It's not as prominent as it was before...I'd rather have something that both teaches and entertains me rather than just entertains...That's what I loved about the show when I started watching it, is that it retaught me things that wern't as important to me at the time, and suddenly made them majourly important to me! I feel we're at fault for this...we asked for it...in fact, If I remember right, equestria girls was only created because hasbro thought "We wanted it" due to all the humanized pony drawings online...We asked for this, and we got it...and now we're realizing that perhaps the show should have just been left to the writers...let the writers do their thing...it's what they're paid to do! And if they want to throw in a reference here and there, that's cool...but it shouldn't be a main focus.

I do like season 4, and I feel there are both good and bad episodes. But I think when it comes down to it, it's like suited for success...We had our own ideas about what would make the show better, when it was already perfect before...

I dunno...those are my feelings at least...

• Brohoof 2

Idk, I still feel that the current season is showing pretty relevant morals and is making them enjoyable to re-learn. In particular "Rarity takes Manehattan" teaches that even when people can be selfish and take advantage of you, it is never a reason to give up and only look after yourself and disregard others. To me, that is an extremely important lesson that can't be ignored especially in this day and age. The same goes for "Bats!" which shows that aggression and force is not the correct path when dealing with problems, as was shown by the apparent failure to stop the apples being sucked dry by forcing the bats not to eat them.

These are all really important lessons to be learned, and they're very entertaining as well. Perhaps it's not a matter of morals like those being less prominent, but more to do with people not seeing them at first glance because there's too much in the way in terms of fanworks, something you just alluded to as well.

Edited by Freedan

Yeah, I'm really disappointed by Season 4. Season 3 was already kinda bad, but from what I've seen thus far, Season 4 has taken this nosedive in quality. It just feels like constant pandering to the bronies, and like they're trying too hard to rely on all these references and things to keep people interested instead of the plot. (It's pretty obvious what with every episode having a song nowadays, whereas the songs were much rarer in the past. These songs are mostly unnecessary, to be honest, and waste much of the running time of these latest episodes, forcing horrible pacing and rushed endings.)

Before, they just kind of stumbled into the correct formula without trying, and that's what I appreciated. But I can just... feel them TRYING to get me to like it, and it only pushes me further away. Most of what the show nowadays does honestly doesn't surprise me, unlike in the earlier seasons where I remember being bowled over by a few awesome things of quality. 

Also, Alicorn Twilight does nothing special except for the Season Premiere. he otherwise just acts like Unicorn Twilight and the mentions of her so-called "responsibilities" are not shown at all. They haven't even really addressed the plot of the keys very much other than what some people BELIEVE (like the rainbow thread) might be references to it. I'm extremely unimpressed though.

Speaking of the Season Premiere, I was so excited by it and its promises of awesomeness, but have seen nothing of the sort thus far. Every episode I've seen hasn't been amazing, nor bad. It's just been... blah. The kind of bad that isn't bad enough to laugh at, but the bad that's just so subpar and boring. I know they could do better. Equestria Girls in my opinion was much better than Season 4. And yet they chose to tackle subjects that they're not really good at exploring because they don't have the time or scope, because they want to pander more to the adult audience. It's silly.

Honestly, my interest in MLP, the show as a whole is pretty much dead at this point, barring them improving in the episodes to come. I don't get excited when a new episode comes out anymore, at least, not as much as I did. (Not that I was ever a HUGE fan, but I used to be more enthusiastic about it) And that's fine. It doesn't bother me too much. I mean, I still keep up and watch, but am kind of meh about it. With a vague hope that things will get better, but with also the knowledge that they probably won't.

Yeah, I know. Not that many episodes out so far, and could be a bad beginning. But I get the feeling that this is pretty much going to be the vibe of the rest of the season, and maybe even series. If they improve, as I've said, then I'll be more interested.

I'm just kind of sticking to the world building and expressing the potential of this universe they've created through OCs. Because making my own stories is far more interesting than watching the potential of another be squandered. post-809-0-68384200-1386014010.png

If you disagree with me, you can feel free all you like to argue, but I'm not presenting this as fact. There's nothing really to argue here except the way I feel. It's my own personal feelings on the show, and they will not be changed as I don't really care enough to argue about MLP. 

@BrilliantVenture

I don't blame people who liked humanized ponies for the abomination that was EQG, I blame Hasbro for wanting to make money off of the toys they could make out of them (terrible toys, they turned out to be. Speaking of which, I really hoped the toy sales failed hard so they don't try anything EQG's related ever again). I blame the writers as well tho, for the quality of EQG, I believe a good story could've been written around that premise, the writers failed tho. As much as hasbro is to blame for obviously forcing them to make it for toy sales, they're to blame as well for failing to write a good, logical story out of it. Same with the episodes of S4, I get the feeling that the writers are to blame for the writing quality this season, none of the episodes come off as being the brain-childs of hasbro suits who want moneyz, they seem like mediocre ideas from the writers themselves.

@Arylett Dawnsborough

I've once heard that when the writer or game designer begins to heavily pander to his or her audience through references (to past games or episodes in the series, or famous internet memes), is the moment that the series begins to wither and die. I guess it's because they run out of good ideas, so they try to appeal to their fans through references to attempt to keep them interested so they'll hopefully overlook the mediocre writing/gameplay, but of course it fails and the series dies a slow and painful death.

I as well have felt really underwhelmed this season, I know that I enjoyed the premiere and castlemania, but the only two that I REALLY enjoyed were Rarity Takes Manehatten and Pinkie Apple Pie, because they felt like episodes that could've been from season 1 or 2. The problem I've had is that they keep trying to force the entire cast into each episode (bar Flight to the Finish, Rarity Takes Manehatten (It had all 6 but focused on just Rarity) and Pinkie Apple Pie), and don't focus on just 1 or 2 of them, resulting in the episode having no time to showcase their depth, making them come off as cardboard cutouts of themselves. Then I'm left with having to rely on the episode plot itself to keep me entertained, which it doesn't, (except the episodes I said I enjoyed.), so we're left with something that's just plain.....as you put it.....blah.

Forcing the mane cast into almost every episode could be a form of brony pandering itself. Think about it, a lot of people complain about their favorite character (be it AJ, Pinkie, or Rarity) not getting enough screen time. The writers decide to solve that by shoving them all into each episode, which isn't the solution. I'm pretty sure that the people who complain about their fav not getting enough screen time want more episodes CENTERED around their favorite, not just having them be....there. And this is the worst type of pandering because it's the type that harms the quality of the series, as I explained in the previous paragraph.

The only reason I haven't given up on the series is because of the latest two, but I have a feeling that episode's this season that are like Rarity takes Manehatten will be....

*puts on sunglasses*

....a rarity.

Seaason 3 was disappointing to me. It wasn't bad, but it was largely underwhelming and about half its episodes were forgettable (Also, Sombra is officially the worst villain of the entire show).

Season 4 seems to be a grand return to form. The episodes have all been consistently entertaining, the characterization's been great, and I'm thoroughly digging this season-long story arc. While it's too early to judge, I think season 4 may even surpass season 2 by the time everything's said and done. Count me in as very pleased with season 4 thus far.

• Brohoof 3

Ok so it is 2 for 2 on episodes I want to watch again. Pinkie Apple Pie was a solid 7/10. Rainbow Falls was a 9/10. The other episodes can eat sand for all I care. Maybe there is some hope for season 4. And yes, a Derpy appearance. I knew she would show up in S4, I hope they have her on again.