Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Band Geek Thread

Freeze-Frame

I just want to see if there any band geeks out there who play some sort of instrument for their school band. And go ahead and tell a little about you and your instrument.

I played trumpet for close to six years, and I've been first chair for four of those years. Yes, I do have a bit of an ego. In eighth grade, my school band went on to State Festival and received all I's except for one II. I plan on making my trumpet skills a career once I'm old enough.

Enough about me, lets hear what everypony else has to say.

Woooo! Trumpet swaaaag! *Brohoof*

Loljk, but really. I play trumpet in my band and I'm 2nd chair as a freshman! I beat the section co-leader (the other's a french horn)!

Aha, the ever-present ego. The trumpets here are planning to get ourselves t-shirts that have the words "I'm better than you" on them so we can walk around saying, "Hi, I'm dressed as a trumpet player." Probably won't ever happen, but we joke about it. ^_^

Nice on the State Festival score! In eighth grade too! :D We did pretty well at most of the competitions we were in this season. Our best was all I's and a II, just like yours! ;)

Oh, and about my instrument? His name's Bud Jr. Jr. because he is the second one I have had. Traded the first Bud for the better quality one. I still loved that old thing though... :(

Anyway! Have a wonderful day!!!

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 1

Nice.  I'm a sophomore, but I'm in a class with juniors and seniors too.  I'm currently second chair, but I'm really only the third best.  That's still pretty good, right? :)

Yah, trumpets are just known for their egos.  I would love to wear one of those shirts.  It'll piss off a lot of my bandmates.  They hate it when I talk about trumpet in front of their faces :lol:

I don't have a name for my trumpet.  All I know is that it's beautiful, and that's all I care about.

I've been a band geek for *counts, 1, 2, 3...* eight and a half years now playing on the (tenor) trombone. From 6th grade to college sophomore, still livin' large. I try to be modest, but I've unfortunately grown a bit of an ego (like the stereotypical trumpet player). Soo.... yeah.

My senior school didn’t have much of a band, and didn’t have a place for my style of playing, that and I wasn’t into music the same way as I am now, although I did have that same wonder for the interesting sounds the keyboards made sometimes. But I wasn’t allowed to express that interest only do ‘proper’ work.

At primary school though, I learnt the recorder: and I can say one nice thing about it is that it was green and nobody else had a green recorder. I do still feel quite chuffed I got to have a unique recorder compared to the regular brown and white ones.

Having said that I wasn’t very good at it, because my heart wasn’t in playing it, I never liked the sound of the screechy recorder anyway: but mine was green so it was better :D

Anyway being a little more sereous: I do think it's cool you ponies above play trumpets and such: I love to say "brass and strings" to describe some song's I like: and whilst I don't want to learn brass myself I am a fan of a big brassy sound on some of my faverite records

Edited by Asherdangerdash

I used to be one as well. I was a tuba player for 6 years starting in 7th grade. I always played the concert tuba up until 10th grade when I started high school (I had a 10-12 high school). My director handed me this big silver curly-q thing and he said "this is a sousaphone, you have to play this now". So I lugged that big ol thing across the field for 3 years and I loved it.

My senior year was my favorite. At every competition the tubas and baritones would all go screw around in what ever town was hosting the competition. We would always make our director mad but there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't get rid of his whole bass line could he? I was first chair (which doesn't mean much with a tuba, we all play the same part) so I got to lead section practice. Our marching band won 1st place in all of our competitions, local and state. Our symphonic band scored I's at our state competition and we got to play at the state music educators convention that year. Schools can only try out once every four years and we were chosen.

Ooooh me!!!

I've been a band geek for almost 14 years now. Although right now I'm only in orchestra. lol

I started on trumpet, too, and played it through high school. However, I realized pretty quickly that it wasn't my instrument, and started exploring. To start college I switched to the bassoon, and it has been my main instrument ever since. Although, along the way I fell in love with the (tenor) saxophone and oboe as well. And now I have those two instruments to learn as well. lol

Sadly, I only got to be in marching band for two years, but the high school I went to is one that competes on a national level, and in my senior year we got to perform in finals at Grand Nationals, and that pretty much made my marching career.

I'd love to join a community band in addition to the orchestra I'm in, but at the same time it's a bit too much for me to do both with my schedule. I have sleeping issues and work nights, so doing orchestra actually cuts into whatever sleep I manage to get. So, if I go back to school, I plan to be in band again, of course, but for now orchestra fills that void for me. Especially since the bassoon is more fun to play in orchestra, where we're actually featured.

I only have 4 years of band under by belt but by god do I love it! 

I've played the Trombone for 4 years, mostly in the concert band but once in jazz band (which was the best overall band experience I've ever had) 

I'm probably going to be in my high schools marching band next year (It's my freshmen year, I didn't want to shove something as big as that on myself too quickly XD)

I've had the same Trombone all four years actually and after many years of renting it I finally bought it a few months ago :D

I'm planning to keep playing in the band, I don't think I'll be stopping for a long time  ;)

Edited by NocturnalRainbow

Well, since I started playing guitar last year, I decided to join the school band, being a bass player.

At first, I had no idea how to read music, so I was listening to the bass beside me, and next shot I was playing by ear... as I do with my guitar. So the music teacher thought I was good, until the exam, where I failed horribly. xD

Well, I catched up; I played in the christmas show, still playing by memory, but whatever. Now I'm slowly starting to understand those horrible things, so I can follow.

Seriously, what a mess this system. o_O

Even though I love playing trumpet, I haven't really played in a marching band.  I will next year though.  I want to prepare for when I join a university marching band or something.

I also play bass in Jazz Band.  I do want to start involving trumpet in there though.

I love playing the Tuba. I have for five years.

I'm part of a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP MARCHING BAND. (UIL 1A)

I also have made ATSSB All-Region band TWICE. (A. of Texas Small School Bands.)

I also played Baritone for a small time, and know basic Trombone.

Of my band I am fourth chair of six (this was NOT decided by my band director, but by my Section Captain :/) but skill-wise, I've been first chair since this year, second chair last year.

Low Brass will always be best section. KA-Period.

Edited by Twilight Sniper