Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Pride: What is it?

DarkSun493

Let's start off with the basics. Our trusty online dictionary Merriam Webster defines "pride" as:

: a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people

: a feeling that you are more important or better than other people

: a feeling of happiness that you get when you or someone you know does something good, difficult, etc.

Granted, my view may be skewed because I'm more or less ashamed of me being a Brony, but that's a different topic.

The first definition: respect. Sure, being a Brony is certainly out of the ordinary and, of course, there requires a certain amount of bravado to pull off. There, I can understand why one can respect oneself: the simple endeavor of being a Brony is difficult in putting up with others and just staying up to speed with such a large community and show base. But why should anybody else respect me for watching a TV show about rainbows and unicorns?

Second definition: being important. A single Brony, as a standalone topic, is not more or less important than another human being. Or, at least, I don't think so. I'm sure there are some more stuck-up Bronies that would fancy themselves better than others, but that can't be the real answer.

Third definition: happiness. Herein lies the most solid foundation of Brony pride. Happiness does come from being a part of the fandom; otherwise, you wouldn't be here. There is some sort of satisfaction that arises from being with others in a shared interest and "doing good" to others that agree with you on a certain issue. Is it difficult? I think yes. Anyone who is a Brony must have spent a considerable amount of time engrossed in the show and doing some sort of communal work. Is it anything close to intense physical labor? No, but just the emotions felt by the show itself is enough to tire anybody out.

So, my question for you is: What do you think Brony pride is? Have you felt it before, and why do you think you did? I know I have never felt it before; I've never had reason to. I hope your responses will give some sort of insight into this vast, confusing world of Bronyism. 

I think brony pride is where you're proud of what you do, and that you respect others while at the same time they respect you for what you do along with them. That is how I see it, others see it differently than I do.

• Brohoof 1

I think brony pride is where you're proud of what you do, and that you respect others while at the same time they respect you for what you do along with them. That is how I see it, others see it differently than I do.

I agree with what you said ^_^.

• Brohoof 1

I think the OP nailed it, but I'll chime in.

I think the pride comes from knowing that no matter how many trolls, haters, and Fox News reports try to shame us out of being a brony, we band together under our anti-hate shield and do what we love in the face of social adversity. We're a group that believes in spreading kindness, compassion and tolerance, not for gain, but because six pastel colored ponies taught us that it's the right thing to do. We're a fandom of acceptance, where everyone has a place and can feel welcome as a friend. I, for one, am extremely proud of that.

You sound like somebody that is confused in why somebody would take pride in liking something that is at the upmost said to be meant for girls. I will respond to your "Teach me mister!". Even though I personally don't have pride in being a brony, many people I know do. They show off the fact that they are a brony for no reason by wearing shirts and jackets to my school with ponies on them. I myself don't get it, but if you like something SO MUCH and you don't give a care what people think of you then you are fine. Many of the bronies I've seen at my school are often shy and don't talk to people. If they don't talk to people, they have it in their head that nobody cares what they do, so they in the end, have the courage to do something out of the ordinary. Not that I disagree with it, but it just makes them a public target.

I still don't agree with bronies bashing the "NORMAL" AKA MAINSTREAM people. Yeah I get it, there was some guy that reported bronies for no reason but to mock them (on fox news) but we shouldn't act like the world hates us. This is what I think the percentage of people think when they think of bronies:

50%: "I honestly don't care what other people like"

30%: "Are they trolls?"

20%: "Friendship is MAGIC?! More like bronies must be killed for liking that show!"

So no matter what the people say, bronies will be bronies.

Edited by Judgement

So what happens when you single out the individual? Or is that completely distorting the idea of being a Brony? Maybe that's where I went wrong. As a single person, what is there to take pride in? So it's more of being part of a mass than the individual contribution and thoughts. And yet that, too seems silly, trying to associate with a group that I don't believe has much concrete on the world around us. Or maybe that's just me.

• Brohoof 1

Like Dark Sun said, there doesn't seem to be much reason for pride in being a singular Brony, since being one or admitting that you're one is to include yourself in the so-called herd as part of a collective. When people claim "Brony Pride", all one really does is proclaim (usually without context or provocation) that they're part of a group that likes to think it's ostracized.

Well, why should you be proud you watch the show? Not in a pride/shame sense, but why at all? It kind of smacks of self-congratulation and a need for attention.

For the same reason that someone would be proud of the fact they are LGBT(QIAP), etc. Simply because it's something that's a part of them. Like heritage.

Feeling pride for something as inane as watching a cartoon and comparing it to LGBT Pride. That sentiment makes me feel shame for both

I hate having to say this, but we aren't talking pride to the point of "sin".

This is pride at a moderated level. Just being "proud" of who you are. It's called self-esteem, it happens to be the reason why certain people (probably like all of us here) don't commit suicide. Because we are just slightly proud of who we are, if we weren't than we would be all the same. In other words, teams of nationalities wouldn't exist, and I would assume even other countries, because there would never be rebellion. Most of us, in that sense, would likely not exist.

However, if they meant pride to that *extreme* level, that I don't know. But I am certain they didn't.

I don't feel that I am better than anyone, all I want is to just enjoy the show and be left alone about it! If you hate it then fine, don't pick on me because I enjoy it! That's all I really ask! :blush: