Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Video Posting that isn't coming from Another Site

Geek0zoid
Go to solution Solved by SCS,

I have a small video I want to post on the forums and only the forums. It's going to be put on the blog entry. However, whenever I try to upload it from my computer, it always shows a message saying that I'm not allowed to upload the video.

Does this happen for everyone, or is it just me? How do I post the video if it's not straight from YouTube?

You should be able to embed a Youtube video in your blog post by simply pasting a link to it. As such, I would recommend uploading your video to Youtube, and then link to it in your blog post.

But what if the video isn't coming from YouTube or some other video sharing site? What if I just want to put it on the forums without putting it on another site?

Is it even possible?

• Brohoof 1

But what if the video isn't coming from YouTube or some other video sharing site? What if I just want to put it on the forums without putting it on another site?

Is it even possible?

I'm not sure whether or not that's possible. I just tried to upload a .mp4 video file to a blog post and got an error saying that I was not permitted to upload that type of file - but it may be possible to upload other video types. 

That being said, if you are concerned about the privacy of your video if you put it on Youtube, they have many tools there to help you customize that to your preference. For example, you could make your video unlisted - only people with the direct link to the video would be able to watch it. If you made it unlisted and allowed embedding, you would be able to place it in your blog post. While that would by no means guarantee that no one other than members and guests on this site would see your video, it would greatly reduce the likelihood of that occurring.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure whether or not that's possible. I just tried to upload a .mp4 video file to a blog post and got an error saying that I was not permitted to upload that type of file - but it may be possible to upload other video types. 

That being said, if you are concerned about the privacy of your video if you put it on Youtube, they have many tools there to help you customize that to your preference. For example, you could make your video unlisted - only people with the direct link to the video would be able to watch it. If you made it unlisted and allowed embedding, you would be able to place it in your blog post. While that would by no means guarantee that no one other than members and guests on this site would see your video, it would greatly reduce the likelihood of that occurring.

Well, that's just it. I want my videos to be, quote on quote "Forums exclusive." Only members of the MLP Forums will be able to see them. Granted, they won't be anything big, but regardless, I only want members to see them.

But, until then,  I'll just use this :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, that's just it. I want my videos to be, quote on quote "Forums exclusive." Only members of the MLP Forums will be able to see them. Granted, they won't be anything big, but regardless, I only want members to see them.

But, until then,  I'll just use this :)

Sounds good. :) Just please keep in mind that if you enable embedding, even though the video is unlisted anyone could embed it anywhere on the internet. Additionally, anyone here who sees your video can give the link to anyone else, who would then have full access to the video.

In summary, the unlisted feature is not perfect, but it helps.

• 6 years later...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have confirmed the issue and were able to resolve it quickly. We will be marking this as closed.