Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic Cliches You Hate?

Castle Bleck

1) Chicken Scootaloo- it was funny for an episode. Must you drag this out?

2) OC killers. It's not cute, funny, or even original anymore.

3) Vengeful CMC. They're fillies- The closest they could come to revenge was that whole thing at the Summer Harvest Parade.

*Overly dark ponies

*Alicorns

*Overly dark alicorns

*story about how character's parents/sister died tragically

*Shipping the mane cast with OC's.

*Shipping in general

*Hyoomans

*Excessive violence/drama. I mean seriously, drama=/=good story telling

*Excessive exposition

*When the mane cast are acting out of character.

Now, i don't have a problem with all of the above if its used in a parody, just to poke fun at the fanbase ;)

[For example, Tom Hanks in Equestria] I'm pretty sure if i was a fanfic writer, i would focus on parody and/or humor.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

One notable exception (among presumably many):

img-2253467-1-elfen_lied___lucy_3_by_bug

Well it depends on HOW big their eyes are in proportion to their faces. Certain anime styles ( I guess this one counts) can work for serious settings. MLP, however.....is clearly meant to look goofy and cute, pretty much the pure anti-thesis of grimdark. Also makes me wonder why people try to make cool dark and edgy OC's of MLP or Sonic, those art styles just don't work for that. Unless you draw them in a more serious looking art style, that is

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Well it depends on HOW big their eyes are in proportion to their faces. Certain anime styles ( I guess this one counts) can work for serious settings. MLP, however.....is clearly meant to look goofy and cute, pretty much the pure anti-thesis of grimdark. Also makes me wonder why people try to make cool dark and edgy OC's of MLP or Sonic, those art styles just don't work for that. Unless you draw them in a more serious looking art style, that is

Ehhh...

img-2258707-1-nana_and_nyu_by_krizthelan

img-2258707-2-2009-06-22-172596.jpeg

There's still alot of big anime eyes in that show, and alot of adorable characters with cutesy characteristics.

As a matter of fact, plot twist: The girl on the right is the same girl pictured earlier; she looks like that for a good chunk of the anime.The entire show is basically one big "break the cutie"

Anyway, i sort of like that contradictory plot/visualstyle combination, where adorable characters are put through hell.

But only if its done well, like Elfen Lied. And actually a part of the show, unlike the fanfics of mlp

OT: Another thing that pisses me off in fanfics is flanderization of characters. Not quite the same as being out of character, but when they make the character's personality so over the top and ridiculous, its more like a caricature than their real personality. This happens alot to Pinkie Pie especially (even in the actual show, unfortunately)

Edited by crazitaco

Hmm let's see

Rainbow Dash shipping and clopfics

Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash

Rarity and Spike ship (probably 1 of the few actual straight ships out there)

Rarity and Spike ship (probably 1 of the few actual straight ships out there)

Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow DashRainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow DashRainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash Rainbow Dash

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Twilacorn

Other typical garbage includes Human in Equestria fics where humans somehow magically integrate into Equestria with minimal problems in just a few chapters normally. Also the character tends to be a "typical brony" young male teen who likes some new random pop and hiphop or otherwise a military vet. Also is either completely bored with life or extremely depressed but somehow being separated from his friends and family and being transported to a foreign land solves everything.

Also there's:

Celestia knows best, regardless of her moral alignment.

Overly gratuitous bias for certain characters (cough Dash, Derp, Derp) and the overall fandom that blinds the writer to actually better write. Tends to lead to the next cliche that Equestrians (and thus ponies) are morally and overall superior to humans and everyone else with their "utopian" and crime free society and Earth is a rotten shithole not worth staying on.

Also lots of Derp

:muffins:  :derp:

and more

and more

and so forth, along w/ an overused and overdone characterization of BPs namely Lyra, and Bon Bon while ignoring other strong and great BPs and supporting characters not limited to Bulk Biceps, Cloudchaser and Flitter, Caramel Seed, Da Mule, Daisy, Daisy Jo, Cheerilee, Zecora, Little Strongheart, heck even Shining Armor and Cadence tend to fall here too.

Simply put if you had to summarize the overall content of fanfics, its proportional to the type and amount of internet memes, discussion and fangism - which is about 75% OMG I LUV DASHIE SHE'S #! AND TOTALLY AWESOME! and the rest being Twilacorn controversy mostly.These characters and materials aren't bad pers say, but they tend to be so overdone, and cliched with a very glaring bias or focus that they lose their value and end up ignoring other interesting and priceless material and characters like Pinkie :blink:  and Applejack.  :huh:

If you don't believe me look at this forum for yourself, there's clearly a very large portion of the fandom that expresses their love of certain ponies excessively. On any given day in this forum, or any other MLP forum and elsewhere, the Rainbow Dash OR Twilight avatars and names will tend to outnumber everyone and everything else.

• Brohoof 1

Some of the most annoying things I've seen in fanfics and roleplays have probably been said already, but are as follows:

1. Undeveloped story or underdeveloped story - Seriously, if you just slap together three crossovers of two of your favorite things plus the plot of the movie you just went to see, that's not a good story.

2. Undeveloped OC's - There's a point where 'overly shy, social outcast with a supreme talent that involves success every time' starts to get a little old, and it started right after the fandom began, so you missed the train. Static oc's also annoy me. The story is there to develop the character in some form or another, so if you write 10 chapters and your character doesn't change at all, you're either trying to say that your character is supposed to be static (and should probably be just a minor character), you don't know how to fix it, or you just don't want to.

3. XXX shippings - I think this one's been said to death and if it hasn't, we're all thinking it already. I'll leave its corpse where it rests.

4. Awful grammar/spelling - Nothing kills the mood and interest of a story quicker than 3rd grade writing. Well, apart from crappy and static characters, crappy story... List goes on, but this just makes me try and find something less productive to do for the rest of the day. I mean, I'll be honest... My grammar isn't awful, but it's not the best. You're not rushing to text your friends while you're driving, hoping some cop doesn't see you or you swerve over and hit a bus. At least try to make an effort to look like you're trying. That's far more tolerable than just trollfic'ing.

5. Trying to sneak in references to other things where they don't belong - You really shouldn't try to sneak it in there. It doesn't matter whether you really liked that quote from a movie or not, but trying to use main or memorable quotes from other things doesn't work out so well for your originality. So don't make your character stand in the middle of the bridge and yell "you shall not pass," or at least try and be obscure or strategic about it.

6. Unnatural crossovers - Mass Effect x How To Train Your Dragon makes just about as much sense as some of the other wonderful crossovers we've all had to endure. Stop it. Please.

7. Fallout - Just stop. Please. It's starting to get ridiculous and it's nowhere near the already-established canon that is completely free and available to read in-depth with author and storyboarder's notes online. If you're going to make a Fallout fic, follow the canon we already have. Stop twisting it into some creature that looks more like a gelatinous amoeba draped over a stale sack of flour.

1.) The High School/College setting. Is anyone really interested in how certain characters would behave if they went to a "normal" school with the typical bullies and unrealistically strict teachers?

8. School settings - Isn't something along the lines of roughly 10 to 20 years of school on average enough? Reading about it just makes me want to barf. I liked school, and I still do, but when you live through it it just seems so... unappealing. Yet it still manages to make some of the longest-lasting (and arguably lowest quality) roleplays and stories.

That reminds me of one... (WARNING: RAGE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, STEER CLEAR) WHY IN ANY SENSICAL UNIVERSE WOULD A PERSON SHARE MUSIC FROM THE FUTURE/PAST/AN ALTERNATE FRAKKING UNIVERSE WITH ITS OWN CULTURE AND TASTES? AND WHY WOULD THE CANON CHARACTERS ENJOY IT DESPITE NEVER HEARING ANYTHING LIKE IT?! IT MAKES MY BRAIN HURT!

"Human dating ponies too quickly"
I guess unless the human is a super clopper or has been transformed into a pony ala Equestria Girls style.

I guess one which I haven't heard mentioned yet is when a shipping story forces one or both parties to be grossly out of character.

I guess unless the human is a super clopper or has been transformed into a pony ala Equestria Girls style.

I guess one which I haven't heard mentioned yet is when a shipping story forces one or both parties to be grossly out of character.

I fold that into 'general out of character'. Then again, I've seen enough bad fics to sorta become desensitized to them.

(edited)

Is every single one of those kinds of HIEs related to Glenn Quagmire or something?

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1