Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic Cliches You Hate?

Castle Bleck

Oh, my God, the canon RD's reaction would be High Octane Nightmare Fuel:

img-2252155-1-super_dash___burning_rage_

Oh yeah, then she goes to work at McDonalds. 

That story made me want to punch something.

'Ere's one I'm not sure has been said.

When the speaking character refers to a cliché before doing it, or doing the opposite to avoid committing the cliché.

Eg. "I know it's cliché, but here's my villainous monologue."
It's just painful meta-speak, and detracts from the actual content.

Edited by ~Chaotic Dratini~

(edited)

Especially when the anthros have sex. I don't mind generic looking OC's with normal colors etc and ones that actually have a background. But all these horrible emo OCs just make MLP depressing and dark.

Still working on my own ponysona. He'll/I'll most likely end up green/teal with blond hair and blue eyes. Kind of like Link (whom I resemble somewhat irl), actually.

Edited by Anti-Villain

Still working on my own ponysona. He'll/I'll most likely end up green/teal with blond hair and blue eyes. Kind of like Link, actually (especially considering I resemble him somewhat irl.).

Mine will just look like me. Light brown fur and strawberry blond hair with blue eyes. Generic to the C.

(edited)

They had the BALLS to give one of the GREATEST ponies of ALL time... a JOB AT MCDONALD'S?!?!?!

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

This sounds so idiotic that I kind of want to read it now

One fanfic cliche that is UBIQUITOUS, one that I cannot stand, is when a character is referred to by their hair color. For example, if you're reading an Ed, Edd & Eddy fanfiction that involves Marie Kanker and the author refers to her as "the blue-haired girl". Or Rainbow Dash, "the rainbow-haired pegasus". *grumbles in discontent because that's just the type of guy I am* :okiedokielokie:

Reminds me of this one crappy fanfic I read, It's Dangerous, Going Out Your Door, where I recall the author way-too-frequently referring to the protagonists with the same basic description.

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

"The orange earth pony"

x1000000

Rainbow Dash hurt her wing and now cannot fly is one of my least favories. I also really dislike fanfics that show Celestia as some evil tyrant while Luna is just the "sweetest little angel". 

Funny, I'm reading a fic right now that seems to be building up Celestia an evil tyrant while Luna being the good one, but it's being done in a good way as far as I've gotten.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not sure what these are called, but for some reason it bothers the heck out of me; mostly when it's overused. I'm basically talking about pony descriptions like these, where ponies are described by their color and race (here are some that I often see) :

The lavender unicorn

The orange earth pony

The cyan pegasus

The butter yellow pegasus

It's fine if it's only done a couple times, but not to the point when the author forgets the pony's real name or the fact that pronouns exist.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 6

I'm not sure what these are called, but for some reason it bothers the heck out of me; mostly when it's overused. I'm basically talking about pony descriptions like these, where ponies are described by their color and race (here are some that I often see) :

The lavender unicorn

The orange earth pony

The cyan pegasus

The butter yellow pegasus

It's fine if it's only done a couple times, but not to the point when the author forgets the pony's real name or the word "she".

I find their lack of pronouns... disturbing...

choke.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Speaking of grimdark, I am personally starting to question whether or not I should continue giving dark mature mlp fanfics a chance.

"Dark Mature MLP" I think explains everything right there. It's the art style. Not that seriousness can't work with this show's art style, it's just consistently dark, mature, and drama-filled stories + cartoony characters with ridiculously huge eyes is kinda hard, if not impossible, to take seriously. Tho if they make them human than that'd work, of course.

• Brohoof 1

Funny, I'm reading a fic right now that seems to be building up Celestia an evil tyrant while Luna being the good one, but it's being done in a good way as far as I've gotten.

Personally the only way in Tartarus I would accept in a fanfiction Celestia being a tyrant or evil is if Luna was such is well.

My standard being this: either they're both good, both evil... or there is a deception or manipulation involving a third party (a.k.a. the true antagonist). If a fanfiction is having Celestia be a tyrant or turning her into such with Luna as the hero... the author is writing the princesses incorrectly.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Personally the only way in Tartarus I would accept in a fanfiction Celestia being a tyrant or evil is if Luna was such is well.

My standard being this: either they're both good, both evil... or there is a deception or manipulation involving a third party (a.k.a. the true antagonist). If a fanfiction is having Celestia be a tyrant or turning her into such with Luna as the hero... the author is writing the princesses incorrectly.

Well the story is an alternate universe and the writer is intentionally molding the characters to fit the story, (in this story Twilight made a mockery of trixie for...I'm not sure why, I believe it was because she found out Trixie was lying about the Ursa Major story. Hung her up on the ponyville bell tower to have the residents throw food at her, put a pile of poop in her wagon to imply that she's full of shit, and shoved her tail into her mouth and rolled her across town. Yes this is one of THOSE stories.)

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, as long as they don't completely rewrite the characters, allowing them to retain aspects of their personality, which this story has done fortunately, because if you're not even gonna do that than you might as well be writing a story of OC's. Might as well just make your own original story instead of a fanfic, actually.

Speaking of grimdark, I am personally starting to question whether or not I should continue giving dark mature mlp fanfics a chance.

There have only been a few grimdark works that I consider worth it.

One being the fanfiction Fallout: Equestria which is a crossover of sorts of the Fallout video games and MLP;FiM which I have read all the way through to the end. I haven't read any of its sequel though, only the first one with Lil Pip. There were admittingly parts that annoyed me but such were often just 'details', mostly involving the royal sisters and the decisions/actions of the Mane Six. The story drew me in and I actually came to care about the characters... though even I cannot ignore just how much trouble Lil Pip and friends get into on a weekly if not daily basis. It is a fight for survival, and it seems our young protagonist has just the right luck to find herself in situations that she has no right to make it through alive but does.

I would recommend this fanfiction to any and all fans.

Another is the Lil Miss Rarity tumblr... yes the one were Rarity finds she has a masochism fetish and slowly degrades, falling more and more into destructive behavior after the death of her cat Opalescence (her actions being what killed the cat though she blocked out these memories). Where Rarity even gets her sister involved... before finally her behavior cannot be ignored any longer and Twilight isn't willing to let it continue, the guards coming to arrest Rarity so she can be helped. Though in this case I believe it has more to with how I can enjoy such games as Amnesia: Dark Descent and Alice: Madness Returns because of the psychological aspect of the story that I cannot help but find fascinating.

-------------------------------------------------------

Well the story is an alternate universe and the writer is intentionally molding the characters to fit the story...

Is this the 'Lunaverse' fanfiction series where it was Celestia banished to the moon and Luna ruled for a thousand years, where instead of Twilight being the bearer of the Element of Magic... Trixie is? Edited by EquestrianScholar

There have only been a few grimdark works that I consider worth it.

One being the fanfiction Fallout: Equestria which is a crossover of sorts of the Fallout video games and MLP;FiM which I have read all the way through to the end. I haven't read any of its sequel though, only the first one with Lil Pip. There were admittingly parts that annoyed be but such were often just 'details' mostly involving the royal sisters and the decisions/actions of the Mane Six. The story drew me in and I actually came to care about the characters... though even I cannot ignore just how much trouble Lil Pip and friends get into on a weekly if not daily basis. It is a fight for survival, and it seems our young protagonist has just the right luck to find herself in situations that she has no right to make it through alive but does.

I would recommend this fanfiction to any and all fans.

Another is the Lil Miss Rarity tumblr... yes the one were Rarity finds she has a masochism fetish and slowly degrades, falling more and more into destructive behavior after the death of her cat Opalescence (her actions being what killed the cat though she blocked out these memories). Where Rarity even gets her sister involved... before finally her behavior cannot be ignored any longer and Twilight isn't willing to let it continue, the guards coming to arrest Rarity so she can be helped. Though in this case I believe it has more to with how I can enjoy such games as Amnesia: Dark Descent and Alice: Madness Returns because of the psychological aspect of the story that I cannot help but find fascinating.

I'm personally not really into post-apocalyptic settings, for some reason it just puts me off, unless it's like Adventure Time, where the world isn't a completely ugly terrible shit hole (if anything it's probably the most interesting take on post-apocalyptic settings I've ever seen).

Can't speak much for Lil Miss Rarity, other than that I didn't like the art style, it was this weird anthro style that looked bleck to me. Now that I remember, didn't it get deleted because of a bunch of people complaining about it's content? I recall the writer basically rage-quit after that, because he apparently didn't save all of his pages for some reason so it went with the tumblr's deletion.

Is this the 'Lunaverse' fanfiction series where it was Celestia banished to the moon and Luna ruled for a thousand years, where instend of Twilight being the bearer of the Element of Magic... Trixie is?

Naw it's:

(edited)

(...) (in this story Twilight made a mockery of trixie for...I'm not sure why, I believe it was because she found out Trixie was lying about the Ursa Major story. Hung her up on the ponyville bell tower to have the residents throw food at her, put a pile of poop in her wagon to imply that she's full of shit, and shoved her tail into her mouth and rolled her across town. (...))

Only one word can possibly sum up my reaction:

Edited by Anti-Villain

I'm personally not really into post-apocalyptic settings, for some reason it just puts me off, unless it's like Adventure Time, where the world isn't a completely ugly terrible shit hole (if anything it's probably the most interesting take on post-apocalyptic settings I've ever seen).

Can't speak much for Lil Miss Rarity, other than that I didn't like the art style, it was this weird anthro style that looked bleck to me. Now that I remember, didn't it get deleted because of a bunch of people complaining about it's content? I recall the writer basically rage-quit after that, because he apparently didn't save all of his pages for some reason so it went with the tumblr's deletion.

Naw it's:

I admit, as an idealist in personality... I kind of agree with you.

Which I feel was partly what annoyed me about certain parts is I know so much of what had happened could have been avoided. So many choices that I could see leading to folly and there was nothing I could do but read on to see what happened. On big thing that annoyed me was how it was explained that it was because of a misunderstanding that the great war would even happen involving the zebras thinking Luna was still Nightmare Moon, and when a school that Celestia had built near a zebra settlement for Luna was attacked... well Celestia stepped down from ruling Equestria and let her sister take charge.

This leading to Luna deciding that setting up the Ministries to help with the war effort and putting the Mane Six in charge of each. The strain of leading the Ministries being what would lead these friends apart and the stress/responsibility required forcing them to make choices they otherwise wouldn't. It was both tragic and frustrating, as it lead me to wanting to shake some sense into everypony. Yet to make matters worse you learn this through memory orbs, meaning everything has already happened and the Mane Six are long since dead.

Well the story is an alternate universe and the writer is intentionally molding the characters to fit the story, (in this story Twilight made a mockery of trixie for...I'm not sure why, I believe it was because she found out Trixie was lying about the Ursa Major story. Hung her up on the ponyville bell tower to have the residents throw food at her, put a pile of poop in her wagon to imply that she's full of shit, and shoved her tail into her mouth and rolled her across town. Yes this is one of THOSE stories.)

... and I would call that very out of character for Twilight, extremely so even.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

(...) it's just consistently dark, mature, and drama-filled stories + cartoony characters with ridiculously huge eyes is kinda hard, if not impossible, to take seriously. (...)

One notable exception (among presumably many):

elfen_lied___lucy_3_by_bugman300-d4yh86i

• Brohoof 1

After reading some of these I'm determined to make an awesome fic where a human comes into the pony world, just because that type of fiction seems to be hated quite a bit. Once I get a laptop, which should be in about a month, I will do so and post the link on here for those who want to bash it. I can already see it coming together.

Edited by Write Worthy

Hmmm I think I have more...

-When Oc's wake up as ponies and no one seems to take note of the change

-Vore/Gore

-Fall out based fics

-One of the CmC's end up prego

-One of the Mane six paired with their sister

-Twilight goes nuts and rules the world

-Mane six as Changlings

-Ponies in the Real World...

-Pet themed fics when they turn into ponies

All i got now...

• Brohoof 1

I actually don't read much of any pony fanfiction, so it might just not have been mentioned because it doesn't happen in MLP fanfics, but one I've seen in so many other fandoms that irritates the crap out of me is the cliche suicide fanfics.

In my last fandom every few days you'd see another "character x is suddenly depressed for cliche reason, character commits suicide, romantically attracted character finds suicide note and body, romantically attracted character finally confesses love over dead body, audience told to cry" story.

I have seen a story or two in the MLP fandom that fits into that cliche, but I'm not sure how common it is.  But yeah, I really hate those stories...