Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic Cliches You Hate?

Castle Bleck

1. Herding:

"It's not uncommon in Equestria."

Okay, then...

...Show me one other "herd" besides just your OC's.

2. Night > day:

Yes, the nighttime is good...

...But does your OC really have to demonize the daytime (and, by extension, Celestia) just to suck up to Luna?

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm, where do I start?

Having OCs in a story that are not only one-dimensional, but they have no personality and they are there just to be there. Also, that their names are just downright terrible with no effort put into them.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 4

OC x Canon characters. Some I do support in other fandoms *cough*ishiplokiwiththisocfromthisreallygoodfanficyoushouldreadititscalledonestepahead*cough* but most of the time no. There are exceptions.

If it's like this though...

504197__safe_oc_princess+luna_shipping_a

• Brohoof 10

One cliche that I hate is when the OC in the fanfic has a cameo or role just for the purpose of being there.

It's pointless, a waste of time, and sometimes, they don't do anything besides just saying hi or just getting in the way. X/ 

Celestia and Luna being portrayed as some kind of gods.

I mean, come on, Lauren Faust once even wrote a little text about how that is not the case; never was her intention, and I think the curent staff would agree. She posted it on DeviantArt, if I recall it right.

Chrysalis almost killed her in the season 2 finale! She's powerful, but does not have Gogeta Super Saiyan 4 level strength.

• Brohoof 2

When the character lives a horrible life and meets someone (usually not an OC and an already made character) and their life somehow drastically changes for the better.  Yes, you can make those good but most of them are...no.

• Brohoof 4

1. Fanfics that exist simply to pair your shallow, 1 dimensional OC with your favorite character
  2. Shallow, one dimensional OCs
  3. Alicorn OCs
  4. OP unicorns
  5. Characters acting like they normally wouldn't
  6. Unnecessary sadness/violence/swearing/debauchery
  7. Emo depressing OCs (Seriously, its Equestria, the magical land of pink ponies! Like nobody is ever unhappy!)
  8. Obvious self-insertion into story
  9. Humans in Equestria

And the list goes on and on.... this is probably why I don't read fanfics... ever...

• Brohoof 7

Celestia and Luna being portrayed as some kind of gods.

I mean, come on, Lauren Faust once even wrote a little text about how that is not the case; never was her intention, and I think the curent staff would agree. She posted it on DeviantArt, if I recall it right.

When did she say this? They were always portrayed pretty much like goddesses in the first season and it's a much better direction than the lame "everyone can be an alicorn" shit of the newer seasons. She even expressed disappointment in Cadence being an alicorn and Twilight becoming one. I don't see why a fanfic which obviously doesn't need to be canon to the show can't do something that was obviously implied from the beginning. They were always the two most powerful ponies who rule over everyone and are responsible for the sun and moon raising, how does this not sound like they're goddesses? 

Plus this:

830px-Princess_Celestia_shine_glory-W_1.

• Brohoof 1

When the character lives a horrible life and meets someone (usually not an OC and an already made character) and their life somehow drastically changes for the better.  Yes, you can make those good but most of them are...no.

Just this.

Even thought it's not directly to do with ponies, High School AUs really annoy me in general because it's overdone so much.

• Brohoof 3

One fanfic cliche that is UBIQUITOUS, one that I cannot stand, is when a character is referred to by their hair color. For example, if you're reading an Ed, Edd & Eddy fanfiction that involves Marie Kanker and the author refers to her as "the blue-haired girl". Or Rainbow Dash, "the rainbow-haired pegasus". *grumbles in discontent because that's just the type of guy I am* :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 5

Just this.

Even thought it's not directly to do with ponies, High School AUs really annoy me in general because it's overdone so much.

I know it's like they get abused by their parents, then find their love life and suddenly the abuse just stops and they focus on their love life. >_>

• Brohoof 3

When a character from the show meets a OC and falls in love immediately, before we even get a chance to know that new character. They confess their love, have a amazing sex, story ends. UGH.

I saw it so many times, it still hurts. 

• Brohoof 5

4. Human protagonist = Power Nullifier:

"Earth has no magic, so that automatically makes my human OC a walking Kryptonite in Equestria."

...So, no neat magical effects on your OC... ever?

1. Humans turned ponies

2.When all the mane six become Alicorns

3.Canons twisted and bent away from their main points of their personality

4.Cross over fanfic

5. Humans falling in love with ponies and doing things rated X to them

6. Want to be 50 shades of gray with ponies....

7.Mindless ranting

8.The writer has no idea what spell check is....

9. Steam punk done wrong

10. Nightmare moon and Luna pairings

• Brohoof 5

when plots are just predictable or that characters are just put in there for the sole purpose of nothing they are just put there and the writer hopes that they fit in with the story which just annoys the heck out of me

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

HIE is actually my favorite genre. But, I digress...

5. Human adjusts to dating pony/ponies way too fast:

NO!!! BAD DOBBY!!!

Bad%2Bdobby.gif

When has anyone made a lifestyle-adjustment that fast... EVER?!?!

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash hurt her wing and now cannot fly is one of my least favories. I also really dislike fanfics that show Celestia as some evil tyrant while Luna is just the "sweetest little angel". 

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

6. Discord underutilizes his powers:

He's clearly all over the place in canon.

7. Sombra now has too many lines:

Canon = No Nonsense Nemesis who prefers roaring like the T. Rex from Jurassic Park.

Fanfic = Carbon copy of Chrysalis and/or NMM.

My personal suggestion = Subtle snarking instead of hammy boasting.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 3