Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I think I'm getting used to "Princess" Twilight Sparkle, however...

PonyFunk

post-24229-0-21652800-1390977099_thumb.png

I was so unsure/frustrated about Twilight becoming a princess just as much as most people. I just couldn't see this new plot point working for season 4 and on. And for the longest time I kept thinking to myself...

"Why am I so frustrated?!"

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I was mostly frustrated NOT with the fact of her being given the responsibilities as a princess/leader, but more of the TITLE that Celestia had given her: Princess Twilight Sparkle.

I actually see her becoming a fantastic leader over Equestria as time go by. She will definitely have acquired more knowledge of magic, friendship, and even leadership than Celestia several years from now. I can see her as the greatest leader that Equestria has ever known, no doubt about that!

So...why does she need to have the title as "Princess"?! The title "Queen", "Ruler of Equestria", or "Ambassador" would make much more sense to me!

You see, nowadays when most people, especially young girls, think of "princess", they think of the "Disney" princess archetype. Many say that they are not at all role models to be followed, that they hardly ever take their own responsibilities and just look for a "knight in shining armor" to come save them.

Nobody thinks of Twilight as that kind of person...ur...pony. She's the opposite! She takes action, gets things done, is extremely organized, and becomes wiser and wiser all the time. And she was given the title of princess by someone who, many can agree, never seems to do anything except raise the sun, give simple advice, and just be a mentor/teacher. This isn't to say that Celestia is completely useless, but we always root for Twilight much more than Celestia when it comes to saving the day. In fact, Celestia is always the damsel in distress, while Twilight is the "knight in shining armor"!

Anyway, it's safe to say that I'm getting more and more used to seeing the wings on Twilight, symbolizing her new status as princess. So I'd really like to see Twilight do three things before the whole series ends...

1. Get married (not to Flash Century!) to someone compassionate, understanding, wise, a great leader, and a bit of bookworm like her.
  2. Take responsibility over her own land/empire. Yes, that would be awesome!
  3. Combine all her findings on friendship and make it into a sort of magnum opus of Equestrian Literature!

Let me know what you think.

• Brohoof 4

I might be in the minority, but I always liked her becoming a princess.  That might just be because I didn't get into the fandom until it already happened, so I didn't have to get used to it, but I just like that the show had her showing growth.  The beginning of the show was her growing until she was ready to become a true leader of Equestria.  But then they didn't go with the classic route of just flipping a switch in her brain and making her a princess.  Instead they're showing her continue to grow until she's ready to do something bigger like lead a kingdom.  Remember, Cadence was a princess for a while and wasn't leading anything until the Crystal Empire popped up.  I think it's important to have her go through that princess in training period so that we can see her develop in that position instead of just instantly knowing what it means to be a princess.

IDK, just my opinion, but I like what they've done with her character and I like her having the title.

• Brohoof 1

I noticed a pattern with everyone complaining about Princess Twilight Sparkle. The thing is, we're still going through the process of Twilight still trying to figure out her responsibilities before she can fully show why she is a princess in the first place. The writers are trying to find a way to handle Twilight's new role, she is still growing as a character when the writers do take advantage of this.

• Brohoof 2

I too loved the idea of her becoming a princess, it would allow for so much more development and plots - that was my mindset. It's lived up to that thus far. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the show, a show with a target audience of 5 year old girls, they are princesses. Celestia was originally going to be called "Queen Celestia", but because little girls love princesses, it was changed. That's exactly why Twilight is a princess, not a queen or ambassador. Regardless of the title not making much sense on her, I think she does a fantastic job AS the princess, helping girls to redefine what it actually means to be a princess - as someone who will take action for the betterment of others, rather than a weak girl who relies on a prince, a manly figure, to save her.

• Brohoof 2

I have always been a huge supporter of Twilight becoming a princess. Probably one of the biggest supporters, as soon as it was revealed I was excited for it. That is why the negativity really bothered me so much. I love the character growth it provides, I love the new opportunities, I love the accomplishment, and I love the pushing of boundaries. It does many good things. That is why I wanted the writers to stick with it until the end. Well, that seems kind of obvious now. :3

At this point, everyone seems to be getting comfortable with the concept which means the writers are doing it right, taking it slow and easing their way with it. Keep it at a steady pace and let Twilight grow further as a character, that is all that is needed and that is all I want. She is a princess, I want to see her grow further with that role over time. However long it takes.

That is pretty much my oddly worded opinion on it. I love it, I have always loved it, and I cannot wait to see more. I just want a bit more emphasis on it in some episodes. Keep it going DHX, you are doing fine. :)

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think Twilight becoming an alicorn is a big deal. It's still same Twilight with same personality, attitude, the only difference is that now she has wings. She is still same "simple" pony and writers are handling her very well.

Although I am a bit unsure about marrying her or giving her her own empire. Wouldn't it be too "big" thing to happen in so short time? Twilight is still young and has lots to learn. Is great student, but not without flaws. There is bright future in front of her, but that does not change the fact that she is still not ready for so big responsibility. And leading an empire is something much different than things she has done so far. I'd give her time for that. It even appears sometimes that she's still not fully used to be an alicorn yet. 

• Brohoof 4

Well, Lauren Faust was going to use the tittle for queen instead of princess, but hasbro was against it, mainly because of the target audience identifying more with it, and identifying queens as evil. Kinda bothering, but at least they averted the rest of girl stereotypes, and it's one of the main reasons of the show's success, both in, and outside of the target audience

BTW, this might be her kingdom

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/my-little-pony-friendship-rainbow.html

Why I think it might be hers?

-A new kingdom: check

-Rainbow themed: with the possibility of the rainbow power, check

-FRIENDSHIP Rainbow Kingdom: check

Edited by Zekromic
  • Brohoof 1

Couple of problems here.  The title you're thinking of is "Duchess", first of all.  That is the highest rank a monarch can give in modern times.  Notice the distinction I made.  Since the middle ages, the titles Duke and Duchess were used, but what about before that time?  Prior to the invention of the word, royal appointees were called "Princes".  So "Princess" could be an appointed title, if Equestria doesn't have Dukes and Duchesses.

Speaking of Dukes, wasn't there a guy that was supposed to be one, but was made a Prince as mandated by Hasbro?

prince_blueblood_by_90sigma-d6kknvh.png

I've been researching this heavily for a video I'll be releasing in March.

Never really had a problem with the whole title of "queen" vs. "princess".  If I heard Equestria referred to as a "Kingdom" I would take exception, crying out the foul against the precious continuity, but so far we haven't heard of the label of the Equestrian state.  For now I have to assume it is actually the "Principality of Equestria", denoting the rulers to be princesses.

As far as the stigma of the title... Princess Twilight Sparkle will most certainly dispel any of that nonsense.

I've always supported her too and as others mentioned there are reasons why they use princess (for good or bad) and I actually like it. I also agree with the idea of her being a princess-in -training and, as I put it in another thread, it's like she graduated college and hasn't started her new job yet. I do hope the writers begin to give her more of a direction soon. This season has been a bit odd.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I was mostly frustrated NOT with the fact of her being given the responsibilities as a princess/leader, but more of the TITLE that Celestia had given her: Princess Twilight Sparkle.

I actually see her becoming a fantastic leader over Equestria as time go by. She will definitely have acquired more knowledge of magic, friendship, and even leadership than Celestia several years from now. I can see her as the greatest leader that Equestria has ever known, no doubt about that!

Cliche more cliches.

So...why does she need to have the title as "Princess"?! The title "Queen", "Ruler of Equestria", or "Ambassador" would make much more sense to me!

Good idea to making a queen filly who just becomes alicorn! Let's also increase to generals all new recruits in the army. Why not?

You see, nowadays when most people, especially young girls, think of "princess", they think of the "Disney" princess archetype. Many say that they are not at all role models to be followed, that they hardly ever take their own responsibilities and just look for a "knight in shining armor" to come save them.

Nobody thinks of Twilight as that kind of person...ur...pony. She's the opposite! She takes action, gets things done, is extremely organized, and becomes wiser and wiser all the time. And she was given the title of princess by someone who, many can agree, never seems to do anything except raise the sun, give simple advice, and just be a mentor/teacher. This isn't to say that Celestia is completely useless, but we always root for Twilight much more than Celestia when it comes to saving the day. In fact, Celestia is always the damsel in distress, while Twilight is the "knight in shining armor"!

I agree with your point that Twilight is a special princess, but, you overrate her. You overrate her TOO much. I love Twilight the way she is. I don't need her to be perfect.

I really like what direction now goes her character. Twilight goes to the failure of the part of the Princess. I mean, there is all the uniqueness of the character Twilight as the protagonist is that she is not always successful in all. She often makes mistakes, she often goes wrong. This making her character "alive" Now, after episode: "Bats" a lot of people condemn Twilight because she sided with AJ: "Kill bats, kill bats!" When I saw this, I was really surprised, and to be honest I was happy, I'm happy that Twilight is far from perfect, she's not the stereotypical Princess, who always doing the right things, no matter what.

The main reason why I was furious that she became a Princess, this is what it looked like another stereotype, when which is the main character of someone great. But now I guess I understood that it's awesome, It's allows to show how much she is not ready for it. The best moment for me was, when Discord said: "What you think you are too special to make a dirty job?" Twilight: "I'm not a special!" OMG. Where else (in kid's cartoons) did you see that protagonist are really not more special than others? And she admit it to herself! It is very ironic: her "unspesicalty" makes her special. I glad that beeing Twilight a Princess isn't impact on the story, because I very feared this, but now, I see that it's a our good old Twiley just with wings. What? Who is she? A Princess? Sorry, I didn't noticed that.

And this is awesome!

I really enjoy every moment when she makes mistakes, because it's not cliche. I hate cliches. And the reason why I love this cartoon is, is because this cartoon breaking all cliche from every kids cartoons. Someone says that she's not learning from past mistakes. It's true, and it makes her character quite controversial. I just want to say, that the reasons why some people start to hate Twilight, this reasons makes me love Twilight more.

And I don't want that Twilight will become ruler.

• Get married (not to Flash Century!) to someone compassionate, understanding, wise, a great leader, and a bit of bookworm like her.
  • Take responsibility over her own land/empire. Yes, that would be awesome!
  • Combine all her findings on friendship and make it into a sort of magnum opus of Equestrian Literature!
So boring... It's the most regular and boring set of cliches that I had ever seen. Such ending like this, will suck. The character: Twilight Sparkle has a huge potential, and it's all that you can invent it?! And I'll say again cliches, cliches, cliches. ( ^ especially paragraph 1 and 2 ) Edited by zev_zev
  • Brohoof 1

That's still the very same Twilight we all know and love despite the changes in her body and her magic after completing Star Swirl's incomplete spell and she's a princess-in-training, which means that despite her new royal status, she is still prone to making mistakes and that's something that I expect from every character in a show or series. I actually love her as a princess who is accident-prone at times. She stepped out of her comfort zones to the point when she finds herself vulnerable at times to problems that require more than what she gained and that is her friends. Not everypony is perfect and they're all fallible as us humans as they make mistakes too and that's

As for the cliches mentioned, I don't think they are possible and they're pretty stupid considering there's still literally a lot for Twilight to learn about her new position. They involved stereotypes that really don't do justice to her character. So, as of right now, I've decided that I'm going to stick with Twilight as she is and not root for her too much to make her overrated; I love her the way she is, the princess-in-training who's not only studious and caring but also funny, fallible and a pony who wants to be loved for who she is, not what.

• Brohoof 1

Being a princess in Equestria doesn't mean the same thing it means on Earth. She wasn't born into her title, she worked hard and earned the title, which just essentially means she's on the road to be a powerful, competent ruler. Nothing has really changed, Twilight just got promoted for her hard work, and I for one support that promotion.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

Clearly, Princess Sparklebottom will be getting her own country to rule over at some point, of which she will then make sure there's a four-floor library on every street corner. The capital shall be a 400 acre palace/library with a main hall so big that you have to climb into an observatory at the center and use a giant telescope to pick your books from the high shelves.

I agree with liking to see her writing some of her own magic and making an impact on pony history with her magical findings, though. If she's mastered the art of The Friendship, something Starswirl couldn't even do, she's got to have some crazy potential if she can find the time later on.

The whole "princess" thing is probably dictated by marketing eggheads, designed to appeal as much as possible to the target audience (and sell toys to them).

The whole "alicorn" thing is a bit different.  I'm kind of ambivalent to Princess Twilight so far.  She's always been a solid character, and I haven't seen much that convinces me her transformation has been for a net gain or loss as an entertaining part of the show.  If/when the writers flesh out what alicorns actually are (where they come from, how they came to be rulers, etc.), we'll have a little more complete perspective.

...The best moment for me was, when Discord said: "What you think you are too special to make a dirty job?" Twilight: "I'm not a special!" OMG. Where else (in kid's cartoons) did you see that protagonist are really not more special than others? And she admit it to herself! It is very ironic: her "unspesicalty" makes her special. I glad that beeing Twilight a Princess isn't impact on the story, because I very feared this, but now, I see that it's a our good old Twiley just with wings. What? Who is she? A Princess? Sorry, I didn't noticed that.

And this is awesome!

Exactly! When Discord started asking Twilight questions on her "princess" title, she answered about the fact that she doesn't want to be all special... It lifted a weight off of me saying that Twilight was just another Mary Sue this whole time. I was amazed when I watched that part of the season 4 opener. It gave me some faith that DHX sorta does know what they are doing.

Now it just comes down to this: how can Twilight look less ugly with her wings? Also, the fact that she grew a bit taller kinda scares me.

Edited by sonicdude558
  • Brohoof 2