Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should there be an Episode about Spike getting Wings?

True Rarity

Because let's face it, poor Spike is one of the only of his kind without wings. We've seen all sorts of dragons, and all of them can fly... except for Spike. Obviously he's special in other ways, with his magical fire that can send letters to Princess Celestia, but still!

I can imagine an episode about Spike getting wings. Twilight would freak out while Rainbow Dash would think it's really cool.

If not wings, I think we need more history. Where did Spike come from? Why is his fire different? WHY CAN'T HE FLY?!?!

• Brohoof 3

We definitely need more Spike love that's more character development and less jokes. I think it'd be cool of him to get his wings, but he really is just a baby dragon. He might not get those for centuries or something.

Well he's just a kid, I don't think he will get wings until he is much older.

If we were to take Secret Of My Excess as a clue, Spike wouldn't even have any wings in his adult form. It could just be a change in the growth pattern if it's brought about prematurely by greed, which is what we learned about dragons from that episode, but otherwise Spike is anomalous like that.

@ OP, I think for an episode like that to work we'd need dragon biology to be established first off. It's simpler for ponies, they can either be Earth ponies or Pegasi, but we don't yet know whether all dragons have wings or in fact there are many more wingless dragons just like our Spike n.n

Edited by Cheese Sandwich
  • Brohoof 2

The way the show has been treating Spike, I would be surprised if he got anything as cool as wings. He only exists to be the target of crude humor. And people get frustrated over Scootaloo.  ^_^  At least she has wings.

Well, we can hope. I'd like him to have wings. Even if in Secret of My Excess he didn't have them. As people have said: natural, normal growth may be different from what happened in that episode.

There was another dragon without wings. The teenage dragon Spike tailwrestled with in the Dragon Quest episode had no wings.

However, in that same episode they teased Spike for not having wings.

It's possible that he's not the same kind of dragon they are, given that he has a rather unique origin. We don't know how Celestia's School got ahold of a dragon egg in the first place.

If the series hadn't shown nothing but winged dragons thus far, I'd say he doesn't need them. But, my ideal world of DHX having established ground-dwelling wingless dragons or something similar clearly is not canon and doubtfully ever will be, so who knows, perhaps some day he will. Dragons' life-spans are ridiculously long compared to ponies, Twilight's grown to be a young adult and he's still a, quote unquote, 'baby dragon'. For all we know he simply hasn't reached dragon puberty yet, and thus wings just aren't developing yet. After all, he may be practically the only dragon seen without wings, but he's also the only dragon anywhere near his age we've seen. We've seen teen dragons, who do have wings, so I'd say it's probably a come-of-age thing.

INB4 the fandom finds reasons to bitch about Spike getting wings, too, if it should so happen.

I think it would be great to have spike get wings, (i feel they do owe it to us, since we know next to nothing about spike or his kind otherwise, plus the hottopic...?) i personally think it would be difficult to do well, although im sure they could pull it off. unless we see more foreshadowing to lead up to that, i have a feeling it wont happen.

• Brohoof 1

It could make sense that spike could earn wings, but at the aame time, not really.

If anything that we were shown in secret to my excess, if he does grow up, he will just be a strong dragon.

However, that was by being greedy, if he grows up nice instead, he could earn the ability to fly as well..

WHY CAN'T HE FLY?!?!

Because he doesn't have wings.

As for me I don't see the point in giving Spike wings. We already have Twilight still getting used to flying and another character who can't fly. I don't see the point in giving more characters the need or want to fly. Besides we've seen him grow and he doesn't have wings. Spike seems to be a dragon who can't fly.