Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ninja Derpy

I have been thinking, is this now a culture? Because this is what a culture is:

Culture - "The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization, or group".

So are we a culture?

If we get popular enough, then I guess you can consider it. We just made it more than a meme that people find funny but a whole new way of looking at the world.

I think we could be considered a culture. I mean we try to follow our own set of beliefs and such, and we certainly are an organization or group :P
  • Brohoof 1

You could consider us a culture, although I think its more like a group of fans of the show.

Although for some people, it helps people in life, and makes you look at life differently. I'm not sure that's considered a culture, but I do know that this is a group of people with shared beliefs so, I guess so.

(edited)

Maybe some bronies, but quite a few have entirely different views and goals, even if they like the show. I for one did not change my views on "love and tolerance" based on the show and i see plenty of bronies who hate on other things (I actually tolerated long before the show). But i did start writing fanfiction. I used to have no confidence at all in anything i do, so what ever i did, i was afraid to share it.

As an example, i never wrote or shared something like this:

Stage is now set, Creator of the world,

but take your time, the tale is being told.

You went forward and placed your bet,

One can only wonder, what will you get?

Maybe eternal life and impressive power,

even earth at will, may move and hover?

Success of your plan, clear as a mirror,

yet a prophecy will unfold, fear its terror.

Heart of both, in darkness they take cover.

Your true nature to everyone, such a bother.

What did you miss, what did you forget?

Your mind like a blazing storm, wont set.

Someone brings you a grand scale change,

another plan with a different view and range.

Leaving behind your past might seem tragic,

but you will find out, that Friendship is Magic.

I used to think, that i am just plain bad at everything. Now i think, that i am slightly bellow average, but i try not to let it bother me. I can only improve if i keep trying :P Not to mention, i am having more fun now.

Edited by Jormaz
  • Brohoof 3

It's not a culture, it's just a trend.

In order for it to be culture, we would need to have our own habbits and customs, and I think the most important thing would be to share a common past.

Bronies are conformed of divided people across the world who all have their own culture and habits and life besides the time they are on the internet.

Calling us a culture makes no sense, simply. It's a trend

As long as we don't become Juicy Culture and bronies are walking around with "Fluttershy" or "Rainbow Dash" on the butt of their pants, then we're okay.

*is handed a sheet of paper*

Under further review, it is Juicy COUTURE, not Culture. My apologies.

But yes, I'd agree with the previous users that MLP is a subculture.

"Shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices"

That does sound like bronies for the most part. We strive to make the internet a less hate-filled place and to bring love and tolerance to everypony, which would fall under attitudes, values, and goals. As for practices, well, I'm sure we all watch MLP :P

(edited)

I would say "yes" and "no." I think you could count bronies as a subculture, of sorts? But, really, if the basic ideals behind bronies are "love" and "tolerance" then that's not really anything new or anything remotely exclusive to bronies. Hippies were basically about the same thing. That's sort of a tough question to answer.

Edited by Osaka Bomb

I don't think bronies are quite strong enough to be a culture, but I would certainly agree that we are a subculture, maybe if we keep spreading ponies; we eventually will become a culture, but not yet

Edited by XxZomBloxxorxX

We are currently a subculture along with other fandoms, although if some major cultural shift occured because of us we could become a culture all unto ourselves.