Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony Else Autistic?

Moost

I love that movie and I love the games. It's good to see that someone still knows that game.

Yeah, well I also love the name because of the connection to the Japanese God of Thunder and Lightning, cos as long as I'm not caught in them, I love thunder storms

Parents told me doctors thought I was retarded when I was born. 

This doctor said I was retarded when I was first diagnosed at age 2, a later IQ test revealed that my IQ was actually above average. I am going to quote what I said in this aspie support thread in the life advice section to save me a bit of typing.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/82501-aspiebronies-help-topic/

I was diagnosed with low functioning Autism at age 2 back in 1988 after losing what little language I had (I regained it at age 5) and exhibiting severe sensory sensitivities and behavioral issues. The doctor thought I was mentally retarded and recommended putting me in an institution (a later IQ test revealed my IQ was significantly above average). Thanks to my parents not listening to that doctor and insisting on a system of gradual mainstreaming and certain therapies such as auditory integration training for example I eventually advanced to the point where most people can't tell I ever had Autism.

No. I don't have autism, but I'm not good with communicating with others. I took a test on aspbergers and 32 was having it. Everybody else I showed the test to got low scores like 3,6,13. I got a 30. XD. So the test said I have "boarderline" aspbergers. I don't officially have it though. It bothers me when people make jokes about autism. My cousin has autism, and I believe she got diagnosed when she was 5. It ticks me off when people make jokes about autism, like this one kid on my bus. If he had a cousin who has it, I could guarauntee you he wouldn't be making a joke about it.

I believe that you shouldn't label someone with autism until it is terribly clear that he/she has some kind of mental illness that makes him/her unable to function normally. Some people just have some more trouble adjusting, or need some more help. Nearly all of my friends are autistic, and I'd rather like to call them 'weird' people! Which is not bad, since I am weird as well! Everyone is a little weird somehow! Maybe everyone is a little autistic as well... I mean, if you aren't weird, or creative, or special in some way, how would your life be interesting at all?

I am not autistic myself, but my mother's job is to rehabilitate children with these kind of mental diseases that are very serious, and as I said nearly all of my friends have some form of a-sosciality or autism or aspergers' or whatever. I really like talking to people who have problems like this and help them open up. Personally I think people with problems are way more interesting than people without problems... Is that weird?

• Brohoof 1

It ticks me off when people make jokes about autism, like this one kid on my bus. If he had a cousin who has it, I could guarauntee you he wouldn't be making a joke about it.

It is not so much jokes that offend me so long as they are not made just to be mean as humor is a way of coping with certain things as well but one thing I can't stand is when people use it an insult. There are so many misconceptions about it and even a lot of well meaning people have the wrong idea about it so these people using it as just another cheap insult for people they don't like is a huge dick move. Trolls use it all the time knowing they will get attention for it and the problem is in many cases it actually works.

• Brohoof 1

It is not so much jokes that offend me so long as they are not made just to be mean as humor is a way of coping with certain things as well but one thing I can't stand is when people use it an insult. There are so many misconceptions about it and even a lot of well meaning people have the wrong idea about it so these people using it as just another cheap insult for people they don't like is a huge dick move. Trolls use it all the time knowing they will get attention for it and the problem is in many cases it actually works.

That's what I mean. That kid on my bus goes around to people and he says "You act so flipping autistic". I wish he would just shut up. Edited by Judgement
  • Brohoof 1

I believe that you shouldn't label someone with autism until it is terribly clear that he/she has some kind of mental illness that makes him/her unable to function normally. Some people just have some more trouble adjusting, or need some more help. Nearly all of my friends are autistic, and I'd rather like to call them 'weird' people! Which is not bad, since I am weird as well! Everyone is a little weird somehow! Maybe everyone is a little autistic as well... I mean, if you aren't weird, or creative, or special in some way, how would your life be interesting at all?

I am not autistic myself, but my mother's job is to rehabilitate children with these kind of mental diseases that are very serious, and as I said nearly all of my friends have some form of a-sosciality or autism or aspergers' or whatever. I really like talking to people who have problems like this and help them open up. Personally I think people with problems are way more interesting than people without problems... Is that weird?

It's not a mental illness, it's a learning disability.

That's what I mean. That kid on my bus goes around to people and he says "You act so flipping autistic". I wish he would just shut up.

People like that should be dragged out into the middle of the street and set on fire in front of their families. They define autistic as retarded when really there's a huge difference. I get those type of scum bags in my school, they're called Aryan race wannabies.

Edited by Cliff_Racer_562
  • Brohoof 1

So you're basically calling us insane, retarded, unable to be round 'humans'?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Sorry if that is how my post came over. What I am saying is that some people get slapped on the tag 'Autistic' and then they are treated differently, even though I don't believe that that's the way to roll... I am actually saying that MOST people who are autistic are actually very normal people, who are interesting and fun to be with! Only the ones that are so mentally damaged that they cannot talk should be treated differently. I think a lot of autistic people seem to want to not be treated differently from anyone else, and I am simply hoping to help like this...

P.S: I got a mini heart attack out of this...

Edited by Scribblegroove
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, it is indeed. I had a fascination with the name ever since I first saw the movie way back when I was 14 :P

Christopher Lambert was awesome in that role.

I have Aspergers, but i try not to flaunt it online for obvious reasons. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Sorry if that is how my post came over. What I am saying is that some people get slapped on the tag 'Autistic' and then they are treated differently, even though I don't believe that that's the way to roll... I am actually saying that MOST people who are autistic are actually very normal people, who are interesting and fun to be with! Only the ones that are so mentally damaged that they cannot talk should be treated differently. I think a lot of autistic people seem to want to not be treated differently from anyone else, and I am simply hoping to help like this...

P.S: I got a mini heart attack out of this...

No it's quite alright friend, I just edited it for correctness just now. What I meant to say was that it's a learning disability, not mental illness.

@

I've seen autistic people without the capability of speech, human interaction or expressing emotion. I'd say at a certain degree it's definately a mental illness, or at least a terribly crippling dissability. But I do not want to offend anyone. I am not autistic myself and have no idea how you guys feel. I just deal with a lot of autistic people in my life. 

@

I've seen autistic people without the capability of speech, human interaction or expressing emotion. I'd say at a certain degree it's definately a mental illness, or at least a terribly crippling dissability. But I do not want to offend anyone. I am not autistic myself and have no idea how you guys feel. I just deal with a lot of autistic people in my life. 

Mental illness is like: insanity, schizophrenia, dementia etc. I think it should fall into the category of disability or disabled etc. And autism sucks, well it does for me anyway.  

Edited by Cliff_Racer_562

God that guy is so drool worthy! Not only in that movie but also Highlander

I love that movie to(but I admit, I like Duncan in the series a little more as a character than I do Connor. The fact Adrian Paul is actually a martial artist lends to the authenticity of the part a little)

That laugh he(Lambert) does just makes the character in MK though:

@

Right, this miscommunication has come to exist because I am not a native english person. In my country, mental illness is translated into mentally disabled. Sorry for this... :c 

That's quite all right mate *east London accent*  :) .

People like that should be dragged out into the middle of the street and set on fire in front of their families.

Erm. I don't think that they should be set on fire. That is cruel. At that point, you'd literally be fighting fire with fire. They just need to be taught a huge lesson about things that you just don't make jokes out of. If they had somebody autistic in their life they wouldn't be making insults about them. I think it is an issue that needs to be adressed to children when they are growing up. It is important that people learn to accept differences of others, but it never happens. There will always be social classes and people will always get the wrong idea that they are better than others.

I am. I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, which apparently makes me a wee bit smarter than others. Side effects are unknown, assuming there are any.

Woah! Same here! We must be twins or even clones!

Erm. I don't think that they should be set on fire. That is cruel. At that point, you'd literally be fighting fire with fire. They just need to be taught a huge lesson about things that you just don't make jokes out of. If they had somebody autistic in their life they wouldn't be making insults about them. I think it is an issue that needs to be adressed to children when they are growing up. It is important that people learn to accept differences of others, but it never happens. There will always be social classes and people will always get the wrong idea that they are better than others.

Do you honestly think "people" like that are going to listen? Pfft no, they will just carry on bullying people with these insults until someone puts them down for good.

I'm not saying that killing is a good thing but shutting them up would be dandy.

• Brohoof 1

Woah! Same here! We must be twins or even clones!

That depends. Are you Irish?

Also, do you have long brown hair that runs level with your shoulders?

Do you own a TV, laptop, iPod Touch, iPhone, Xbox Crystal and Xbox 360 all in the same house?

Do you own a necklace shaped like a dragon claw holding a shiny red orb?

Do you have an avid interest in the Second World War?!

Have you got an impressive conglomerate of wits in that head of yours?!

Did you find most normal guys where I live to be good folks, capable of compassion and respect for even their handicapped others?!!!

(You don't have to answer these. Totally up to you ;))

Edited by ~Psychotic Blitz~

I am 100% Autistic, High-Functioning to be exact; got diagnosed when I was 3...and I didn't give a shit.  However, due to my autism, I used to (until 13-15) have seriously huge freak outs over the smallest things, say...I lost my phone an couldn't find the damn thing: I would seriously melt down like a fucking Nuclear Reactor; banging my head on the wall, bawling my eyes out and other stuff like that.  Despite all that though, I wouldn't give it up if it meant I could become a god.

• Brohoof 1