Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology -Calling to computer ponies- Problems with a new desktop

Milk Wave

Hey guys, so i've just literally built my first PC with ease. Everything was set up correctly, maybe a few odds and ends I had to get around, but in the end, everything was fine.

Until I pressed the power button.

At first, we had the DVI cable in the wrong place, so we thought it was fine. So we switched it to the main one, turned it on, and well...

There was no beeps from the speaker, and no display of BIOS.

I've looked up some causes of it, and it's really indirect on what it is, since it can be any part going from RAM, to PSU, to even Hard Drives. It won't turn off when I press the power, and I have to hold it down to force shut down now.

Then problems went from bad to worse.

So it happens that.. When I plug in my Graphics Card to my PCI slot in the motherboard, turning it on gives me no display, and 5 post beeps. That basically means there's a processing error in the CPU, but the CPU's not the issue. If I remove it, no beeps, no display.

I've looked up different ways, and none of them helped. I've also done a few things like trying to clear the CMOS memory, removing the HDD, changing up RAM slots, and taking out the GPU. Nothing's worked so far.

Honestly, I don't know what the actual problem is anymore, and I feel like RMA'ing my RAM, GPU, and Motherboard altogether. But before I do that, I want to know if there's any hope, so please..

Someone help me.

---

Current rig:

Case: Sentey Optimus GS-6000 ATX Mid tower

CPU: AMD Athlon x4 740 quad core @ 3.2Ghz

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88x Killer

RAM: Team Zeus 8GB 2133 Dual channel

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce R7 260x 2GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB (( nothing on it ))

PSU: Corsair CX600

Note, none of these were used, and everything was brand new.
Thanks..

-Moon Wave

Edited by Milk Wave

Have you tried another video card? Like maybe an older one? And does it sound like it's running? Because there's a chance it could be something with the Motherboard itself.

Have you tried another video card? Like maybe an older one? And does it sound like it's running? Because there's a chance it could be something with the Motherboard itself.

I can't get my hands on another video card sadly, and everything's running fine. I turn it on, it sounds like a normal computer. All the fans inside are going at the normal pace like they should.

I was thinking it's the motherboard, honestly... It's been a bit odd dealing with it inside that case.

Well, it's hard to say for sure, since you can't see any visual, so that could be it. It would be easier if it were that, because if there was an issue with the ROM, then it's a bigger pain in the ass to deal with.

Well, it's hard to say for sure, since you can't see any visual, so that could be it. It would be easier if it were that, because if there was an issue with the ROM, then it's a bigger pain in the ass to deal with.

Yeah, I know.

Now though with the graphics card problem, people are saying that it's either defective, or something's up with the motherboard. When I did have it plugged in before though, it didn't do the 5 beep post, until recently. So I don't know if something's messed up now or if the motherboard screwed up some more.

Hate to say it, but your CPU is probably defective. Because its an Athlon, there aren't any on-die graphics. So when you put your GPU in, the POST was able to initialize and test the CPU. The reason it doesn't beep when there is no CPU in the socket is because there aren't any error codes for not having a CPU for your particular UEFI. At least that's what a quick google pulled up. I'd get in contact with AMD and go from there.

Hate to say it, but your CPU is probably defective. Because its an Athlon, there aren't any on-die graphics. So when you put your GPU in, the POST was able to initialize and test the CPU. The reason it doesn't beep when there is no CPU in the socket is because there aren't any error codes for not having a CPU for your particular UEFI. At least that's what a quick google pulled up. I'd get in contact with AMD and go from there.

So wait... You're saying there's no beep because there's no CPU in the socket? But I don't really get it, since the CPU's in the socket quite tight. There's no bent pins either last I checked.

UPDATE: So it may not be the processor at all from what i'm seeing. After leaving it to run for a bit, I can now turn it off without holding the power button as well. If I turn it off and unplug the power supply and everything, it will post 5 beeps, but if I shut it off and back on, it won't post any beeps. 

Pressing the reset button posts 5 beeps though. :I (( Note, this is with the GPU installed ))

Edited by Milk Wave

Did you use an anti-static mat/wrist strap when constructing your computer? I had a friend with the exact same problem and it ended up being a fried motherboard from ESD. Did you at least keep touching the case while building it too (If you didn't use the anti-static mat/wrist strap)?

Edited by Retro*Derpy

So wait... You're saying there's no beep because there's no CPU in the socket? But I don't really get it, since the CPU's in the socket quite tight. There's no bent pins either last I checked.

UPDATE: So it may not be the processor at all from what i'm seeing. After leaving it to run for a bit, I can now turn it off without holding the power button as well. If I turn it off and unplug the power supply and everything, it will post 5 beeps, but if I shut it off and back on, it won't post any beeps. 

Pressing the reset button posts 5 beeps though. :I (( Note, this is with the GPU installed ))

Yes. It could just be a bad slice of silicon. The reason it does that with the video card is because the video bios loads before the motherboard bios, which enables you to configure your motherboard settings. It's really hard to tell without an extra CPU but as that is what the POST code is, I'd start with that and go from there.

I'm sorry but the second I read that ASRock was your motherboard that was my first red flag. Precious few people ever have a problem with them, only slightly more develop a problem in short time, the rest are giant headaches. Reviews are one thing but almost all things I read and equally myself have tried a couple times it's just never been worth it.

Equally unfortunate is that a motherboard with problems can in fact begin to fry other hardware with voltage irregularities and the like. it can be hard to test what you have when spare parts aren't lying around that's for certain. 

I'd say send everything you can back to be replaced, as for the GPU you may need an older one to start, because if it's anything like the Kaveri chips you will have to flash the BIOS before it will play nicely. I'd have to guess it's a CPU problem though. Just my (Cursory and sleep-deprived) opinion.

Did you use an anti-static mat/wrist strap when constructing your computer? I had a friend with the exact same problem and it ended up being a fried motherboard from ESD. Did you at least keep touching the case while building it too (If you didn't use the anti-static mat/wrist strap)?

I didn't use an anti static wrist strap, and because of it I made sure to touch my case plenty of times. (( the metal part of course ))

@@@A Blithering Div,

UPDATE: So from figuring out yesterday, it was the motherboard, and i'm currently in the process of sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. I cleared the CMOS memory and built the computer from scratch again, this time testing the motherboard on the box it came in. Still the same result as last time.

Thanks guys for helping me out on this. Turns out, motherboard these days including some of the other brands, not just ASRock (( even though that has the highest rate of this happening )) have been having problems like this right now.

Oh, and @, I actually bought a test card a few days back. It was just an ordinary Radeon HD 6450 which i'll be using as a spare graphics card if the R7 260x breaks. I'm also using a Trinity CPU from AMD right now, but maybe in the future I might upgrade to the Kaveri versions.

UPDATE: So from figuring out yesterday, it was the motherboard, and i'm currently in the process of sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. I cleared the CMOS memory and built the computer from scratch again, this time testing the motherboard on the box it came in. Still the same result as last time.

Thanks guys for helping me out on this. Turns out, motherboard these days including some of the other brands, not just ASRock (( even though that has the highest rate of this happening )) have been having problems like this right now.

Oh, and @, I actually bought a test card a few days back. It was just an ordinary Radeon HD 6450 which i'll be using as a spare graphics card if the R7 260x breaks. I'm also using a Trinity CPU from AMD right now, but maybe in the future I might upgrade to the Kaveri versions.

I would definitely recommend Kaveri if you don't want to make the jump up to FX or go with Intel, but if you do make sure you have the Trinity chip around to flash your board.

I would definitely recommend Kaveri if you don't want to make the jump up to FX or go with Intel, but if you do make sure you have the Trinity chip around to flash your board.

The only time i'd go with Kaveri is if the IGPU inside it can be crossfire'd with the R7 260x I have. Other then that, i'd go AMD FX.

I'm not an intel fan if you can guess x3

The only time i'd go with Kaveri is if the IGPU inside it can be crossfire'd with the R7 260x I have. Other then that, i'd go AMD FX.

I'm not an intel fan if you can guess x3

Go FX then. The gains from crossfire aren't worth the drop in performance from Kaveri vs. FX.

AMD = better value for money. Intel = better, if you're willing to pay more.

I always run Intel and Nvidia, but I always buy the top products they offer at the time.

I had problems with my PC when I first built it, the motherboard claimed to be compatible with my CPU but when I booted up it would have similar problems to you, it has an error display on the board which kept displaying new errors each time, after trying everything I could think of I finally found a post on a forum that said that my motherboard was only actually compatible with my CPU after a recent BIOS update, one that it didn't already have preloaded. So I blind flashed the new BIOS on and it worked.

If the replacement board still has issues, try getting a new BIOS on it before you send it back.

AMD = better value for money. Intel = better, if you're willing to pay more.

I always run Intel and Nvidia, but I always buy the top products they offer at the time.

I had problems with my PC when I first built it, the motherboard claimed to be compatible with my CPU but when I booted up it would have similar problems to you, it has an error display on the board which kept displaying new errors each time, after trying everything I could think of I finally found a post on a forum that said that my motherboard was only actually compatible with my CPU after a recent BIOS update, one that it didn't already have preloaded. So I blind flashed the new BIOS on and it worked.

If the replacement board still has issues, try getting a new BIOS on it before you send it back.

Alright, will do~

I find AMD processors to still be quite reliable even at an old age, so in quality terms, not much is too different. But yes, Intel's better if you're willing to spend a decent bit of money for them.

And question: How do I stick in the new BIOS?

Alright, will do~

I find AMD processors to still be quite reliable even at an old age, so in quality terms, not much is too different. But yes, Intel's better if you're willing to spend a decent bit of money for them.

And question: How do I stick in the new BIOS?

It varies I believe, it may not even be possible on all motherboards, however for mine I just had to get the BIOS onto a clean memory stick, plug it into the motherboard and hold a button on the board, can't remember exactly, if it's possible then it should come up if you google "blind flashing a bios onto 'motherboard name'"

@@Lost

Alright, thanks for the heads up~ I already sent back in my motherboard, but if it does it again, i'll flash the BIOS.

@,

Already sent back in the motherboard though, thanks for giving a suggestion~