Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Maud and Pinkie, Perfect Opposites

Night Shine

Hiya everypony!

So I was watching the newest MLP episode and loving it, and whilst watching, I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and identify Maud Pie's Myers-Briggs personality type, since lately I have been getting very interested in that realm of psychology. Once I figured out her type, though, I had a sudden realization on why Maud and Pinkie are perfect opposites: they have the exact opposite personality types.

In order to explain further, I will expand on why I think each pony has the type that I think they have below, using the website TypeLogic as my main resource on how each type acts and thinks.

1) Pinkie Pie is an ENFP: Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving.

What does that mean? Click the link to find out, or the spoiler for a shorter version.

ENFPs are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of a cosmic whole. They want to both help and to be liked and admired by other people, on both an individual and a humanitarian level. This is rarely a problem for the ENFP, as they are outgoing and warm, and genuinely like people. Some ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality...

For some ENFPs, relationships can be seriously tested by their short attention spans and emotional needs. They are easily intrigued and distracted by new friends and acquaintances, forgetting their older and more familiar emotional ties for long stretches at a time. And the less mature ENFP may need to feel they’re the constant center of attention, to confirm their image of themselves as a wonderful and fascinating person...

ENFPs are friendly folks. Most are really enjoyable people. Some of the most soft-hearted people are ENFPs.

ENFPs have what some call a "silly switch." They can be intellectual, serious, all business for a while, but whenever they get the chance, they flip that switch and become CAPTAIN WILDCHILD, the scourge of the swimming pool, ticklers par excellence. Sometimes they may even appear intoxicated when the "switch" is flipped...

ENFPs like to tell funny stories, especially about their friends. This penchant may be why many are attracted to journalism...

ENFPs are global learners. Close enough is satisfactory to the ENFP, which may unnerve more precise thinking types, especially with such things as piano practice ("three quarter notes or four ... what's the difference?")...

Friends are what life is about to ENFPs, moreso even than the other NFs. They hold up their end of the relationship, sometimes being victimized by less caring individuals. ENFPs are energized by being around people. Some have real difficulty being alone, especially on a regular basis...

ENFPs are strongly influenced by the opinions of their friends.

2) Maud Pie is an ISTJ: Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging.

What does that mean? Again, click the link to find out, or the spoiler for a shorter version.

ISTJs...are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ.

As do other Introverted Thinkers, ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold. Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are most at home with "just the facts, Ma'am." They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach. Once a new procedure has proven itself (i.e., has been shown "to work,") the ISTJ can be depended upon to carry it through, even at the expense of their own health.

ISTJs...usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them...

Since Fi [the Introverted Feeling function] is turned inward, it is rarely expressed. Perhaps this enables the ISTJ to resolutely accept that "we are all doomed"...[o]nly in times of great distress is the Introverted Feeling expressed (as I witnessed in my dad when a neighbor's son was killed in a hunting accident). Otherwise, feeling is inferred, or expressed nonverbally, through eye contact, or an encouraging smile.

Anyway. The reason that I thought this not only fascinating but also brilliant on the part of the writers is that they managed to create two characters who are opposites in every way in their personalities, in every possible dimension. When I realized that these characters are so opposite that I began to suspect that the writers intentionally constructed the characters with opposite MBTI types in mind, I was seriously impressed.

What do you think? Am I overanalyzing here? I mean, obviously I am, but is it justifiably interesting in this case? Do you think that these personality types are accurate? Do you think the writers had personality types in mind while constructing these opposite characters?

Most importantly, would you consider Pinkie and Maud to be 'perfect opposites' as I have dubbed them?

Edited by The Late Night Shine
  • Brohoof 2

I for one like that they're perfect opposites, this makes them all the more interesting as characters. It's nice to see a character that's a relative of Pinkie's that's well normal. It's safe to say her other two sisters are probably just like Maud, in the sense they're plain.

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if this is like an established literary device or something...

http://literarydevices.net/foil/

In literature, a foil is a character that shows qualities that are in contrast with the qualities of another character with the objective to highlight the traits of the other character. The term foil, though generally being applied for a contrasting character, may also be used for any comparison that is drawn to portray a difference between two things.

What we observe in literature very often is that a foil is a secondary character who contrasts with the major character to enhance the importance of the major character. The etymology of the term foil testifies the aforementioned assertion as the word “foil” is taken from the practice of backing gems with foil (tool) so that they shine more brightly.

• Brohoof 1

I'm interesting in the Myers Briggs as well. I think it's a handy tool to use for creative purposes. Maud and Pinkie both have the same personality types of Bert and Ernie, respectively. Bert's ISTJ and Ernie's ENFP. The opposite personality types create a great dynamism between the characters.

• Brohoof 1

That explains why they played off each other perfectly. Opposites attract so it lead to some funny moments and I've already compared their dynamic to Raven and Starfire because well it is like that.

Raven and Starfire were the FIRST images of these two that came to mind when Maud showed up lol

• Brohoof 2

I couldn't have agreed more, you prove a good point there.

In cartoons, we've seen two characters whether they are related or not differ from each other where you can notice their personalities and how they are different from each other. Relating to a character and analyzing them, could show how they are polar opposites until they find a common interest.

Having two different dynamics leaves an open opportunity for character development. Seeing Maud as one of Pinkie's sisters that is actually not hyperactive, but as someone who is normal and mature it really sounds interesting where I want to know more about Pinkie's other two sisters.

• Brohoof 1

They are kinda like ying and yang. You need happy and crazy and you also need quieter and soft. So nope My mind kinda went there to. But i love the play on her name. maud pie---mud pie :D it made me giggle.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say perfect opposites.  Maud and pinkie seem to kinda,

miss things.

Like they have mental blind spots so to speak.  I mean everyone does, but like huge gaping mental blind spots.

I wonder if this is like an established literary device or something...

http://literarydevices.net/foil/

In literature, a foil is a character that shows qualities that are in contrast with the qualities of another character with the objective to highlight the traits of the other character. The term foil, though generally being applied for a contrasting character, may also be used for any comparison that is drawn to portray a difference between two things.

What we observe in literature very often is that a foil is a secondary character who contrasts with the major character to enhance the importance of the major character. The etymology of the term foil testifies the aforementioned assertion as the word “foil” is taken from the practice of backing gems with foil (tool) so that they shine more brightly.

Thanks for pointing that out; that's a really good point. Pinkie and Maud are certainly literary foils, and this is definitely a related concept, but not all foils have totally opposite personalities. I guess opposite personality foils could be a subset of foils in general. However, it would not surprise me if most literary foil characters had nearly-opposite personality types as a general rule.

For example, Batman and the Joker, two of the most well-known foils, are ISTJ (or INFJ, depending on who you ask) and ENTP respectively, which are near-opposite pairings...but then again, many have argued that Batman is an INTJ, in which case their difference would not be very significant. Hm...

Anyway, good point. :P