mega thread What are you thinking?

Tabe

Intermittent renewable energy combined with energy storage is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I've already come to the conclusion that renewables are better at displacing fuel (be it fossil fuel, nuclear fuel or bio-fuels) than displacing capacity. That being the case, they seem better suited for complementing the existing electricity infrastructure rather than replacing it. I've come across startups that sell hybrid electricity systems that include wind/solar + advanced batteries + diesel such as Interpower. I'm sure I can come forth with more startups if I take the time to look for them. With such a hybrid system you get better reliability than you would with a regular diesel-only system with the added bonus of not just displacing fuel from the addition of wind or solar but also save on maintenance due to the diesel generator being set to operate only at optimum efficiency and stop once the battery is full. The lower operating times also give a nice window of time to do maintenance without having to cut the power. It's a neat system that works well and it isn't the first one I've come across. But what if this could be scaled up? 

Some power plants work better when they give out a steady and continuous stream of electrical power into the grid and not fluctuate much in output (particularly nuclear). These tend to give the highest fraction of energy over time that their capacity will allow but every once in a while, you need to perform maintenance on the generators and whatever's driving them. Having a large battery charged with solar or wind power could give you the option of having that battery give power in the stead of the generator that's undergoing maintenance and you're also displacing fuel in doing so -- that's two birds with one stone. Of course, you could also just unload the energy in the batteries and displace fuel so as to empty the batteries for the next batch of renewable power. Having that stored energy also comes in handy if for any reason at all one of your generators break down and need immediate repair.

Of course, the million dollar question is whether or not such a set-up is economically viable. I don't know at this point.

• Brohoof 1

I'm thinking I should go to bed. But then, I thought that two hours ago.

• Brohoof 1

This is your average, everyday annoying signature.

Are you seriously reading this?

Really?

Wow. I didn't think you'd actually waste enough time to get to the fourth line.

Or the fifth, for that matter. What, am I interesting or something?

Thinking about how it's weird that I care more about what happens to fictional character more than I do most people.

Also about how lonely and bothersome I feel.

• Brohoof 1

“Hardship often prepares an ordinary person for an extraordinary destiny.”

― C.S. Lewis

Thinking on what I should do for today. I am prolly going to go back and learn some more Italian. Its a bit confusing but I felt that way with Japanese. Yet I know a bit of Japanese. 
But Italian seems to be fun. Pronunciation is hard at times. Especially when you were learning another language. lol 

• Brohoof 2

kF2X7Pc.png

HOOFSIES!!!

Thinking about work and the snow we got.

Thinking on what I should do for today. I am prolly going to go back and learn some more Italian. Its a bit confusing but I felt that way with Japanese. Yet I know a bit of Japanese. 
But Italian seems to be fun. Pronunciation is hard at times. Especially when you were learning another language. lol 

I've been wanting to learn both of those languages. I'm currently learning Swedish. 

• Brohoof 1

img-31010-1-img-31010-1-img-31010-1-img-

Rarity Fan | Kpop & Jpop Fan | Trixie Fan | Sunset Shimmer Fan | Applejack Fan

well I just read something that made me feel lonely. but I'll be ok I hope.

• Brohoof 1

img-2759379-4-vinyl2_by_aeron_quillson-d            

i am kris or bree and i would love to make friends. i am a person of many answers...

answers to your questions...