mega thread What are you thinking?

Tabe

8 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

The eye doctor appointment incoming!  

Ah man, I gotta do mine, from what I remember I have to do an eye surgery eventually.

f41aaaf85c959fc940a85f95aecd6ccc.jpgGustav-III-King-of-Sweden-in-Coronation-Robes-Alexander-Roslin-Oil-Painting.jpg

On the left is a self-portrait of Alexander Rosin in the process of painting Gustav III, and on the right is the finished painting of Gustav III. With the way my thought process has gone, this struck me as being very humourous, and I will attempt to explain why.

Presumably, Rosin was in the process of painting Gustav III. While that portrait was still not yet completed, he decided to paint a portrait of himself painting the portrait of Gustav III. In order for him to make the self-portrait as shown on the left, he had to have had invested many hours in accurately re-painting the incomplete portrait of the portrait in his self-portrait. I imagined a situation where Gustav III was interested to know about the progress being made on his portrait. If this situation happened in the modern era, one thing Rosin could have done is to photograph himself painting the portrait. But this situation takes place before photography was invented. So as a way to show him the progress of the portrait, Rosin painted himself painting the accurately replicated state of the incomplete portrait based on the real incomplete portrait to both convey to Gustav III that he is working on it and how the portrait looks at that moment. But this situation is absurd because instead of investing many hours making the self-portrait with the incomplete portrait based on the actual incomplete portrait, he could have simply shown him the actual incomplete portrait itself, and used the time making the self-portrait to work on the actual portrait.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

f41aaaf85c959fc940a85f95aecd6ccc.jpgGustav-III-King-of-Sweden-in-Coronation-Robes-Alexander-Roslin-Oil-Painting.jpg

On the left is a self-portrait of Alexander Rosin in the process of painting Gustav III, and on the right is the finished painting of Gustav III. With the way my thought process has gone, this struck me as being very humourous, and I will attempt to explain why.

Presumably, Rosin was in the process of painting Gustav III. While that portrait was still not yet completed, he decided to paint a portrait of himself painting the portrait of Gustav III. In order for him to make the self-portrait as shown on the left, he had to have had invested many hours in accurately re-painting the incomplete portrait of the portrait in his self-portrait. I imagined a situation where Gustav III was interested to know about the progress being made on his portrait. If this situation happened in the modern era, one thing Rosin could have done is to photograph himself painting the portrait. But this situation takes place before photography was invented. So as a way to show him the progress of the portrait, Rosin painted himself painting the accurately replicated state of the incomplete portrait based on the real incomplete portrait to both convey to Gustav III that he is working on it and how the portrait looks at that moment. But this situation is absurd because instead of investing many hours making the self-portrait with the incomplete portrait based on the actual incomplete portrait, he could have simply shown him the actual incomplete portrait itself, and used the time making the self-portrait to work on the actual portrait.

Oh my, that’s great! 

10 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Unthinkable pain:(  

Hope you make it through a tough journey:awed:  

Thanks buddy :BrightMacContent:

Do I really want to go to work today? No, but I may call out Friday to clear my head.

Edited by StarlightNyars

What mess have I gotten myself into, but...gotta do what I can do with what I have.

• Brohoof 2

Thinking about this piece of music I am listening to; the Requiem by Antonin Dvorak. So beautiful; quite the masterpiece.

• Brohoof 2

I'm hoping no clients call me as I work from home today. I just want to roll up in a toasty hot cinnamon roll as the cold weather passes through SoCal.

*The symphony of cannons on Red Square in the background* 
*meditative relaxation*

"...Mighty power, fury in the eyes
Change time is in our hands
The steel spirit of freedom in the endless fields 
Beats like a hammer in our hearts..."