Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology XP support is ending... plans?

CMQuickfireTK

XP is ending!  

36 users have voted

1. 1. What will you do?

• Go to a *nix OS ( e.g. Linux, BSD, etc. )
    • Go Apple OS X
    • upgrade to Windows 7
    • sidegrade to Windows 8/8.1
    • Stick Wtih Windows XP

(edited)

There are still certain things that bother me about Linux (mainly where it would be easy for it to incorporate the things that are actually good in Windows but doesn't, not in any distro I tried), and I don't have the energy to make such a massive change, but I have to say, going from WinXP to Win7 pissed me off big-time. Productivity with Win7 goes down the drain and it took me as a power user weeks to modify, configure and extend everything so that I have at least half of the ease of use that I had with WinXP.

If you look at my Win7 UI now, you could think I'm running Win2000. For example: no Aero, no themes. Windows Explorer as base of operations. Plain and simple start menu. Textless start button.

Win7 was my most regretted purchase in recent months, maybe years. But I had little choice, since I needed a more up-to-date computer. And I totally didn't reget having bought a system builder version, because paying the extra for crappy support would be insane, and it's also highly unlikely that I transfer the OS copy to another system.

I might have chosen WinXP 64 bit instead if that wasn't more like an oddity in the product line. It would have caused a lot of other problems.

Regarding WinXP support ending: Don't act like it's gonna fall apart or stop working now. WinXP with the latest patches will probably still be useful for a long time.

Edited by Dowlphin

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, Splashee® said:

I am trying to migrate to Windows 10 from 7, as 7 has ended as well. But nothing beats XP

Don't if you can avoid it. Win10 is a spyware enslavement nightmare, an insult. A massive step towards the customer serving the business.

The only Win10 that would be minimally tolerable from a privacy standpoint is the Corporate edition, but I don't think that's easy to get. But usability is an even greater step backwards than from WinXP to Win7.

I am currently running a Threadripper on Win7, and I cannot imagine what the future would look like. (A general thing for me, not just regarding computers.)

Anyone who has a 'fresh mind' I highly encourage to commit to Linux.

Edited by Dowlphin

4 minutes ago, Sherbie-kun <3 said:

Windows 10 runs kinda laggy at times on my brand new computer with a CPU+iGPU used for gaming, it's just a really clunky os lol

Yeah that's why I downgraded to win 7

• Brohoof 1