Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology XP support is ending... plans?

CMQuickfireTK

XP is ending!  

36 users have voted

1. 1. What will you do?

• Go to a *nix OS ( e.g. Linux, BSD, etc. )
    • Go Apple OS X
    • upgrade to Windows 7
    • sidegrade to Windows 8/8.1
    • Stick Wtih Windows XP

(edited)

If you guys are seriously struggling with Windows 8, then I'd recommend installing Classic Shell. Seriously, this should help by adding in stuff that Windows 8 really should have came with (like the start menu).

But anyway, I guess Windows XP's end was going to happen anyway, so there's no need to cling to the past. As for me, I haven't had to use that OS for years and so I'm not really bothered by the drop of support.

Edited by Mr. Nutt™

Or... There is a cheaper option than that. depending on your interest and if you're the type that doesn't give up so easily.

No, I don't give up easily. :P  What's the cheaper option?

• Brohoof 1

No, I don't give up easily. :P  What's the cheaper option?

Also got to be able to put effort forth as welll, since all things worth doing require work.

anywho, cheaper option is linux, Linux Mint is what I would suggest .-.

• Brohoof 1

Also got to be able to put effort forth as welll, since all things worth doing require work.

anywho, cheaper option is linux, Linux Mint is what I would suggest .-.

I'll look into it, but I don't think Linux supports as many programs, does it?

I'll look into it, but I don't think Linux supports as many programs, does it?

It all really depends on what you do. Steam for Linux supports basically all the valve games and many more if you're a gamer. lol

It all really depends on what you do. Steam for Linux supports basically all the valve games and many more if you're a gamer. lol

I don't really play games on my laptop, especially since it's getting older now.  Mainly I use Skype, Paint Tool Sai, gimp and a few other things.  Not sure if it supports Sai....

I don't really play games on my laptop, especially since it's getting older now.  Mainly I use Skype, Paint Tool Sai, gimp and a few other things.  Not sure if it supports Sai....

There is quite a few alternatives according to this. My personal Favorite in the list is mypaint. :P

but yeah, Skype and gimp are fully supported!

There is quite a few alternatives according to this. My personal Favorite in the list is mypaint. :P

but yeah, Skype and gimp are fully supported!

Yeah, although I'm just so used to Sai and love the program (plus I paid for it), I dunno if I'd wanna use something else.  I just realized too, i'm not sure it'd support my tablet.  Linux Mint does look nice though.

I truly believe that the next Windows will become the best OS available once it comes out. If I remember correctly, they said they'd optimize it and create it just for computer users instead of trying to make it compatible for tablets. 

(edited)

For those of you who are still on Windows XP and are seeking to upgrade, but don't know if you should go for 7 or 8.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2139286/the-windows-xp-upgrade-question-windows-7-or-windows-8.html

And if you're wondering about a Start menu in Windows 8, guess what was announced at Build 2014?

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, although I'm just so used to Sai and love the program (plus I paid for it), I dunno if I'd wanna use something else.  I just realized too, i'm not sure it'd support my tablet.  Linux Mint does look nice though.

It actually supports the tablet on linux better than windows ( from my experience)... and from what I've learned. :P

also how long ago did you pay for Sai? If it's been a couple years I think it would've paid for itself.

I have no XP computers, but someone I know has a Vista computer that seems to be breathing its last (incredible endurance, I know).  I don't know whether I should recommend Win 7 or 8.  Sorry Linux/Mac junkies, but Linux/Mac is off the table.  7 seems like it would be better, but it seems like a lot of people on the forums have 8.  Any suggestions?

It actually supports the tablet on linux better than windows ( from my experience)... and from what I've learned. :P

also how long ago did you pay for Sai? If it's been a couple years I think it would've paid for itself.

That's good to hear. And I've had it for a few months now

I have no XP computers, but someone I know has a Vista computer that seems to be breathing its last (incredible endurance, I know).  I don't know whether I should recommend Win 7 or 8.  Sorry Linux/Mac junkies, but Linux/Mac is off the table.  7 seems like it would be better, but it seems like a lot of people on the forums have 8.  Any suggestions?

Anytime a computer appears to be "breathing its last"...has anyone tried reformatting it and installing the OS fresh?

Vista actually isn't all that bad after all of the updates have been applied to it. It doesn't have some of Windows 7's great UI updates, but otherwise it should be usable if it was sold with it.

(edited)

I will, I will have a lot of fun doing it.

You've got guts for doing an annoying process, I admire that.

I'm sick of activating windows, another reason I no use it lol

XP expires today! ima install win8 on my other desktop, so I can emulate myself being an XP user needing to move to a completely different OS.

Edited by CMQuickfireTK
  • Brohoof 1

Good man!

*If you want to play it REALLY safe.

Yes well I had a laptop with an older centrino wifi chip in it and it didn't like authenticating WPA without ndiswrapper and I'm not sure if that persisted with the Core series.

I have only one question about all this: How much of this matters to somebody who already has a Chromebook?

That somebody being me.

I would panic! There is nothing as simple, amazing, and reliable as Windows 2000/XP! I grew up on those operating systems, I was in third grade when I first used them.

I would just stick to my Windows 8 machine and see if I can go a whole decade with it.

Leenox. Huhuauahuaha.

After I got FamiTracker to work on Ubuntu, I didn't have any reason to use Windows. Everything I do normally I can do on Ubuntu. :P