Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Josh Haber return for season 5?

Forlong

33 users have voted

1. 1. Should Jash Haber return for season 5

• Eeyup
    • Nope

Well, Josh Haber has written three episodes now: Castle Mane-ia, Simple Ways, and Leap of Faith.  Question is, should he return for season 5?

I think he should.  He does rather well writing the mane six, especially AJ.

applejack_hugs_vector_by_kitsuneymg-d41g

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I would say so. He's a very capable writer — getting the story down, solidifying the pacing (for the most part), and reaching the conclusion at the best possible moment. Moreover, he's easily the best Applejack writer on the team; all three episodes featuring her are more or less flawless, the weakest point being Leap of Faith where she was hit with the mildly stupid stick.

However, his biggest weak point is following the cliché down the letter. If you watched Castle Mane-ia, Simple Ways, and Leap of Faith, you watched any other episode from other mediums that follow the same pattern. Each episode is a bare-boned, paint-by-number, bullet-point list in a dress. The first time is okay (in CM-ia, he got the characterization and humor done correctly). But to repeat the story without being all that unique doesn't give FIM justice. He plays way too safe, and he can't do that anymore come next season (if he intends to write for FIM next year).

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I don't see why not, just as long as he sticks with AJ and doesn't write another "Simple Ways"

Edited by Randy Marsh

(edited)

On a semi-related note I want to say that I think Dave Polsky is the "risky" writer of the group. They don't always pay off, but when they do we get great episodes like For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, Rarity Takes Manehattan, and Too Many Pinkie Pies, all of which could've backfired with annoying or mean-spirited moments, but held up to the end without feeling like anything was all that out-of-place. Hell, I even liked Daring Don't which is arguably the riskiest episode in the series, save for Magical Mystery Cure.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 2

Yes :) And I don't care how predictable plot is as long as it's enjoyable. Besides, for a new writer he seems to REALLY understand the characters (especially Applejack), something with which even the older writers often have problems. 

(edited)

He has the characterization and humor down, Josh just needs to take some risks where he can be able to understand on what he needs to improve on and what he is doing a good job in. I'd say, have him return.

The writers are like a mix bag, where there are good, bad, okay, decent, and excellent writers who work on improving the weaknesses that they show in writing their episodes.

I'd say that Josh could work on unpredictable story building. :P

Basically, he is an okay writer.

Leap of Faith was not his strong point, but Castle Mane-ia and Simple Ways were.

Edited by Scootalove

I hated the way Rarity was portrayed in Simple Ways, so I was hating on him a little bit after that, but I have to admit he's a very solid writer. He writes almost every character well, Applejack in particular.

One excellent, one pretty good, one bad... Really, I'm neutral about the guy and don't know quite what to think of him. He's pretty good at humor and not so good at unpredictable plots, but other than that, I respond to this question with a resounding

Meh.

(If we're going to pick a good Applejack writer though, may I suggest Merriwether Williams? She's had a consistently good handle on AJ. Hearth's Warming Eve, Spike at Your Service, Bats!... Even her small role in Wonderbolts Academy was played well.)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

One excellent, one pretty good, one bad... Really, I'm neutral about the guy and don't know quite what to think of him. He's pretty good at humor and not so good at unpredictable plots, but other than that, I respond to this question with a resounding

Meh.

(If we're going to pick a good Applejack writer though, may I suggest Merriwether Williams? She's had a consistently good handle on AJ. Hearth's Warming Eve, Spike at Your Service, Bats!... Even her small role in Wonderbolts Academy was played well.)

His episodes are pretty middling. I agree with the "meh". It should've been on the poll.

Wishful thinking on my part is that he completely turns around like Polsky and suddenly writes smash hits like "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils".

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Wishful thinking on my part is that he completely turns around like Polsky and suddenly writes smash hits like "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils".

The weird thing about Polsky is that he's the wildcard of the writers. I would have had no clue that Rarity Takes Manehatten was written by the dude who was responsible for Daring Don't, or that the mind behind the 22 minute epic For Whom The Sweetie Bell Toils also made the poorly plotted failfest known as Games Ponies Play.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

Even though I considered "Simple Ways" a boring episode, I did enjoy the dialogue and writing of "Castle Mane-ia" and "Leap of Faith". He has gotten the character's emotions, problems, and personality very well. Not just anybody can put Applejack in a tough honesty-vs-lying situation and pull it off. As for "Castle Mane-ia", he managed to bring together an interesting plot with the funnny dialogue. I would like Haber to return writng more episodes for FiM.

-Guard

• Brohoof 1

I don't see why not. I agree with @ that he should take more risks, but he seems to get the characters, more or less. He's a new writer, but with time he could become one of the fan favorites.

No, the real question is whether Corey Powell should return.

• Brohoof 2

No, the real question is whether Corey Powell should return.

We'll have to wait until Inspiration Manifestation to find out

Oh god, she wrote that? Aw man, I thought it was Polsky on writing duties.

8d99f566fae9e3009335433a69f54ba87ccf491c

lol, he's writing the Spike episode after that one 

Personally I'm hopeful, McCarthy's writing the episode too, I liked Just for Sidekicks and think she writes a good Spike, and McCarthy write both Spike and Rarity well, so I'll be surprised if it sucks

• Brohoof 1

@, I've gotta be honest, I very much dislike "Just for Sidekicks."

I can see why some people might dislike it, but I enjoyed it very much *shrugs*

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Castle Mane-ia? 

I thought that was Josh's best episode

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Castle Mane-ia? 

Nah, that one seems fairly well liked. It's got a fun Scooby Doo vibe to it, and it's REALLY DANG FUNNY. When I watched it with my family, I could slow down and appreciate the manifold jokes. Enjoyable little romp that even advanced the story arc a little.