S04:E21 - Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3  

329 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Fyrefly founded the Wonderbolts. Interesting.  ^_^  Nice touch, I think.

Well, I loved this episode. Worldbuilding was nice, telling us a history of the Wonderbolts that actually works. They turned out like the Blue Angels and that makes sense in my head.

But the episode itself was nice. Pinkie's presence, something that has been bothering me most of the season was great and all the ponies were very nice in their appearances. Twilight trying to teach Rainbow was amusing and fun because the two worked so well together and the rest of the episode is more of the same, growing up until it breaks (their efforts, not the episode). Fluttershy's presentation was so freaking hilarious. Angel Celestia... Well done with that tweet Meghan. Then there is Pinkie's rap. I have no especial feelings for it, but it was fun to listen to, specially with how Rainbow remembers it. Rarity is great too (as usual). I liked the progression in the uniforms, with references to real life military uniforms. Specially Twilight's."Commander Easy Glider". Applejack is herself. She probably was the kind of student that instead of freaking out before a test just knows what she needs because she pays attention and does her homework. Or maybe she just know her trade because it's her whole life.

And then Twilight flying with Rainbow and the resolution. I liked it. Makes sense to me that Rainbow is paying attention to stuff happening around them, but I think that she'd notice thinks instead of unknowingly internalizing everything. The first time I thought that she had consciously seem those things. Well, maybe she didn't and only reacted to the "pedal-copter" because it was a threat. Well, anyway, worked for me. Are all pegasus (that actually fly fast and dangerous) like that?

Now, Rainbow getting a 100% in the test was a bit... Too much. I think it would have been good enough if she just passed, but this is just a nitpick and didn't take from my enjoyment of the episode.

Nice job, staff. Now I just need to know what is it that the Royal Guard actually do when they are not getting their flanks kicked by every enemy that appears. Are they the evolution of the EUP Guard? Or are both just the same?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This definitely beat AKR's work on "Filli Vanilli". She actually managed to work the entire Mane 6 and Spike into an episode and not Flanderize them or backseat their character to have them drive the plot.

This is definitely Rainbow Dash at her most relatable. I too learn differently from the way I'm expected to learn. I have poor study habits (by normal standards), suffer from high stress levels, and do not study conventionally, but I do score highly in many of my classes, even my worst ones, by taking a more active approach to learning and a more subconscious way of retaining information. I relate with the way the ReManeing 5 tried to push all those different methods of learning on her, all to no avail. This call for a more personal approach really has the potential to resonate. If only the people in education who'll replace those numbskulls who pushed through the Common Core agenda would watch this show, we'll have a much better education system within 5 years.

The technicals of this episode were really top-notch. There really was a different directorial style to it, mainly using new camera angles during the flying scenes, scene transitions not often seen on MLP, and continuing the show's signature trend of accurately and strongly parodying pop-culture in the scene with Pinkie Pie as a rapper, from the period-specific costumes to the aspect ratio and video filters. I expected that scene to be a show-stealer, and it did not disappoint.

The subtle reference to Rainbow Dash's G1 counterpart (and Faust's favorite character/Internet identity) was a great addition. The best thing about this episode is that we can finally go through the rest of the season without claiming Rainbow Dash got wholly screwed. It's been demonstrated that thankfully, all has not yet been lost for best Pegasus.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 6

I'm conflicted on this episode. The mythology of the Wonderbolts was cohesive and interesting, and the way they solved the problem in the end was pretty smart, but the characterization for Rainbow Dash was abysmal.

It's one thing for her to be flippant, or unable to sit still during the lecture, but she acted like a complete bitch to Twilight, who was only trying to help her. And despite the clever foreshadowing in the beginning of the episode, the way she's somehow able to memorize everything that happens while she's flying without even knowing it makes her come of as some kind of Rain Man. It's weird, uncharacteristic, and ill-explained.

This isn't a horrible episode. It's got a lot of stuff that's really, really good. It's just held back by extremely poor characterization of the lead pony.

Totally agree! To me, Rainbow Dash was pretty out-of-character in this one. She's not my favorite character (in fact, she's always been at the bottom of the Mane 6 for me), but this was perhaps her worst performance yet (yes, including "May the Best Pet Win"). I know she has a tendency to be lazy, but not when it comes to her dream of being a Wonderbolt! She seemed WAY too apathetic about it, all things considered. Literally everypony else seemed more invested in her doing well on the test than she herself did. Plus, from the sound of it, Wonderbolt history is kind of common knowledge (as seen in the fact that Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy all seemed to know about it). If Rainbow is a fan (which she IS), you would think she would know the facts (even somewhat obscure ones). Instead, she just acts put-upon when Twilight takes time out of HER day to help Rainbow achieve her dream when RD herself put in no effort until the day before the big test. That seemed very, very entitled to me and, even though Rainbow Dash is often cocky, it still felt wrong. I liked the lesson about differenciation/different learning styles as much as the next person (yeah, I'm a teacher in training - lol), but this could have easily made for a good procrastination episode where Rainbow actually has to face consequences and be accountable for her (non) actions. Instead, she gets an 100% on the test. Really, writers? You couldn't have just barely had her pass? I guess it COULD be argued that she actually knew it all along, but didn't know how to access the information before learning how her brain works, but, just the same, that doesn't excuse her rude/apathetic behavior. Actually, my favorite line was when Applejack says that learning about something takes time, effort and most of all, passion to learn about something. RD put in no effort. The rest of the town put in effort while she was basically spoonfed information. 

So, yeah. I didn't like this episode at all, really, even if a lesson on differenciation could have been really good/interesting.  That said, at least we got to learn more about the Wonderbolts' role in Equestria and how they fit into Luna/Celestia's past.

(edited)

Actually, my favorite line was when Applejack says that learning about something takes time, effort and most of all, passion to learn about something. 

THIS! I saw some posts about how AJ is stupid and doesn't learn anything (lol XD) and I was really surprised by those comments, because her method was actually the most succesful in real life. It takes time, effort and experience. You can't learn something within a few minutes. It doesn't work like that. I also liked this line :) Add to it her deadpan humor and it was probably the best scene in the entire episode XD

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 6

YAY!!! RAINBOW DASH IS A COLLEGE SSTUDENT!!! 

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, this was an okay episode. As you can probably see, my one big thing about it is that Rainbow Dash is basically a stereotypical college student. She doesn't care about the test until the day before, where she freaks out and tries to cram all the inormation she can, with the only difference being she actually passed. It was a very "predictable" episode, as in it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. My mailn complaint, though is this: HOW DOES EVERYONE KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE WONDERBOLTS EXCEPT RAINBOW DASH?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean seriously, is seems that the only pony that didn't know the history of the wonderbolts other than Rainbow Dash was Applejack, who was just being a d*** and talking about apples even though she knew that Rainbow needed to know about the Wonderbolts!!!! What the F***?!?!?!?!?!?! ...Sorry, I'm ranting. Anyways...umm...I guess that's really it on this episode. Can't wait too see what Tommy Oliver has to say on this one. See ya!!

*brohoof*

• Brohoof 2

YAY!!! RAINBOW DASH IS A COLLEGE SSTUDENT!!! 

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, this was an okay episode. As you can probably see, my one big thing about it is that Rainbow Dash is basically a stereotypical college student. She doesn't care about the test until the day before, where she freaks out and tries to cram all the inormation she can, with the only difference being she actually passed. It was a very "predictable" episode, as in it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. My mailn complaint, though is this: HOW DOES EVERYONE KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE WONDERBOLTS EXCEPT RAINBOW DASH?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean seriously, is seems that the only pony that didn't know the history of the wonderbolts other than Rainbow Dash was Applejack, who was just being a d*** and talking about apples even though she knew that Rainbow needed to know about the Wonderbolts!!!! What the F***?!?!?!?!?!?! ...Sorry, I'm ranting. Anyways...umm...I guess that's really it on this episode. Can't wait too see what Tommy Oliver has to say on this one. See ya!!

*brohoof*

Well with RD's remark about being too much of a CLASS clown to learn anything we can assume this is taught in school 

I absolutely loved this weeks episode, much more than last weeks personally.

I could really relate to Rainbow Dashes way of learning and it’s was literally something I was thinking about this week.

Because I have a push scooter, and when I scoot about and concentrate on that I find the other part of my brain seems to think really seriously clearly and come up with useful ideas, which I don’t so much if I just walk somewhere or sit around being a lazy butt, anyway I digress.

When the shadows of Dash and Twi were showing on the ground when they talked, I thought that was a really good shot: instead of just seeing the two ponies chat they had a bit of variation which I liked, and Pinkies rapping was awesome: and the part where the play with the pets and the scenery was all falling down made me literally lol.

Lots more good stuff, but I’ll keep it short: well written and funny and relatable as I mentioned. 10/10

Howdy all!

Good episode! :yay:

Poor RD couldnt learn a thing from Twilight.

Good thing that Fluttershy broke up their bickering. ;)

Pinkie's Rap was Hillarious :lol:

Andrea Libman did a nice job.

Kudos to Amy Keating Rogers for the writing.

See ya!

It's so damn cute how you can tell that they are friends that actually love and care for each other so deeply, then Apple Jack being honest, "so yeah, I only know shit about Apples". lmao! Honestly in Twilights little spoken lecture, it wasn;t to difficult to pick up on all the details, maybe Dash is attention defecit, it would make sense a little bit.

I liked it. I wasn't expecting the whole pinkie rap scene, but I found it kind of humorous with how they took it.

I absolutely loved this episode. Let me tell you a normal adult like myself should not have been laughing so hard when Rainbow managed to get a horn on to Twilight's chair so it sounded when she sat down on it. I know I am way to old to be into that kind of humor, but, IMO it was HILARIOUS. 

(edited)

All things considered, it’s been a pretty dang rocky season for Rainbow Dash. I was hoping for so much more after her glorious showing in Season 3, and instead I got whatever the heck Rainbow Falls was supposed to be. When I got word that she’d be getting another episode, a last chance to leave a good taste in my mouth, I’ll admit that I was very nervouscited. All things considered though, I really liked this week’s episode and think it’s one of the high points of Season 4 and even the entire show :D

I thought the beginning was kind of weak and dragged on a little, but on the rewatch it didn’t feel as bad. It even had some nice foreshadowing about Rainbow’s hyperobservance in the sky. And I found Twilight and Dash to both be pretty relatable there too, having been in the position of someone whose mind just keeps bouncing all over the place and in the position of someone who’s been fed up with people not taking things as seriously as they should be. Dash’s hyperactivity and Spike’s just randomly popping in with a drum for the lols cracked me up too :lol: . And as someone who’s struggled with procrastination, they got that “oh crud I’ve got a final paper to submit in eight hours and can I just curl up in this corner of the basement instead” moment down perfectly.

img-2489250-1-Scared_Rainbow_Dash_S1E16.

Twilight was also perfect. Her best showing in goodness knows how long. She was flawed, frustrated, grumpy, compassionate, patient, dorky, and everything else that makes her so likable. I’m not used to her being one of the highlights of episodes these days, but Rogers really came through and gave us the Twilight that I’ve been missing. Her interactions with Dash were top notch, funny, sad and touching. Like this episode in general they hit all sorts of emotions in a quick period of time, all throughout making it feel very natural and woven together well.

img-2489250-1-gtEdevt.png

Twilight Sparkle gets two wings up! :D

Other supporting characters were super too. Spike in the drum scene as well as his brief and tragic time as a play director was great, not even needing lines to shine. Flutters brought us a study method that I’ve vowed to try out someday, Rarity brought us some flawless lines and expressions, Pinkie’s rap was fun even if it wasn’t completely my thing, and AJ was AJ. Everybody felt like themselves, and seeing them rally to try to help Dash out in their own quirky ways was very fun to see.

As for Dash herself, I found her to be pretty relatable and she too felt very much like herself. Like I said before, the gags in the beginning and her interactions with Twilight were top notch and got me into the episode very quickly. Those scenes where she’s realizing that she really didn’t take this seriously enough and she’s becoming increasingly overwhelmed and jumpy as nothing works were very well done too. One scene that kind of sticks out to me is when Twilight sort of grabs her halfway through the episode and makes the flashcards circle Rainbow, and you could sort of feel her sense of claustrophobia as well as just how unnatural and forced all of these things were for her. And those scenes later on where she just looks completely and totally defeated were so sad and yet so perfect too :(.

That conclusion was what really made the episode for me though. Rainbow Dash’s overconfidence and attitude haven’t always endeared her to her friends or Ponyville in general, but the ending just goes to show how much they value her and the lengths they’re willing to go to help her out of a slump. Really loved the music for that scene too, and something about Twilight and Dash’s chat was kind of therapeutic for me too, somehow :derp:

img-2489250-2-593273__safe_solo_rainbow%

Like Rainbow Dash, this episode got a 100% in my book :)

Overall, very impressed with how Rogers did with this one and it really did a great job of giving off the warm feeling that drew me to MLP in the first place. A True True Friend Helps a Friend In Need indeed :). I know I’ll be looking back on this one fondly. It’s a good sign when you find yourself  wanting to rewatch an episode multiple times on the same day it airs :wub:

Edited by DashForever
rewatched it again a few times
  • Brohoof 6

WOW! I have just one word for this episode: brilliant! It had loads of comedy moments, I lost it at the Pinkie Pie rap. Amazing episode and I will say, the best one of the Season so far.  B)

• Brohoof 1

Despite being in a depressive flunk over the last couple of days due to the events which happened in my life, I had some time to sit down and watch the new episode this morning through the live streams and although I couldn't concentrate due to the spammers running riot on the Twitter hashtags, I decided to watch the episode again this morning without any distractions.

So with that said and to quote from my tvtag post:

"So Rainbow Dash? Have you been studying for your Wonderbolts Reserves exams? You better have not left it to the last minute and went on a all night cramming session! This is your big chance to achieve your fillyhood dream to join the elite flyers in all of Equestria!"

This episode was was a very good one to watch on the second time around. A lot of memories from my past came flooding back on some of the scenes, mainly my schooling years at the both primary and secondary level. I had trouble studying as well and even though I had two exams to do in my Higher School Certificate, the study for those exams was not easy and I could easily relate to what Rainbow Dash went through. 

There were a few scenes that put a smile on my face, one of which was the rap sequence with Pinkie and Vinyl.

The visuals of the rap sequence were amazing and the throwback to the childhood where VHS ruled the home entertainment market and laserdiscs and appliances were expensive due to the Wholesale Sales Tax. But with that aside, who could have thought putting together a sequence based on 1990's technology of physical video mixers, VHS or Betacam broadcast video quality and even emulating the sound of the video tape at the time was a pretty amazing feat in it's self, even right down to the aspect ratio? 

More of the technology throwbacks in the episode also included the rewinding sequences when Rainbow Dash was flying with Twilight and the breaking down of a segment of her fight, even right down to the Cutie Mark Crusaders (CMC) visit to Sugarcube Corner. The only thing that I would have loved to see in use was the Telestrator to pinpoint and highlight certain parts of the flying segment to cap off the nostalgia trip.

The last scene in the episode was something that was unique in it's self. Watching the scene again this time with full concentration in tow just not only put a smile on my face after the events of the last few days sending me into a depressive flunk, but also brought a few tears to my eyes in the process. 

Whether it would be the CMC's and their EUP (Earth, Unicorn and Pegasi) chant to Dash with Scootaloo, helping her out with pride in her voice or when an entire town, after many great years of service to Rainbow decided to repay the favour and help out in her studying by placing signs and even dressing up in the traditional Wonderbolts outfits and giving Dash hints of their history, I can't say much more about this sequence and the episode in general other than, it was a real eye opener for me.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

• Brohoof 2

And once again a classic series writer shows up and owns all the new guys' scripts. This episode filled me with a kind of joy I haven't felt since S3. The voice actors got to act (somebody finally remembered they have Tara Strong on their payroll), the plot was relatable and ended on a nice moral (I really like that both parties learned a lesson, like in the good ol' days), the interactions between the characters and their mannerisms were spot on, with each personality shining through without feeling forced, we got a little worldbuiling sprinkled throughout (we even got a hint at Granny Smith's cutie mark story), and by jove was this episode funny. Hilarious, even.

Thanks for giving us the best Dash and Twilight have been this season, Amy Keating Rogers :wub:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I just realized we saw Vinyl's eyes this episode. Is this the first time we've EVER seen her eyes when she was a pony?

Either way, damn is she sexy.

Edited by takai
  • Brohoof 1

SPOILER ALERT Pinkie Rap

#justsaying

this must be the outrageous 90's reference Meghan was talking about. sniffles and bites down on his knuckle, letting out a small whimper if you'll excuse me i need to go.....have a cry over my lost childhood.

• Brohoof 1