329 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

3 people have tried arguing my assesment of Pinkie's rap :P I usually only have that many people coming after me when I'm defending Rarity :D

The rap itself felt forced is what I was going at, not the rap appearing in the episode, that melded in just fine. All those horrid noises she made and the rap she did could've at least been a bit more quality while still achieving its goal of being humorously bad.

Like, the play; that was humorously bad without being irritating. The rap was so bad it was irritating. The play and the rap were both intended to be bad, but only the play did so while having a quality to it that didn't just feel stupid.

Oh, well in that case carry on. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

The main problem was it took away from the episode and was more than a tad bit irritating. Nothing more to it than that; the high pitched squeals of "YEAHH!" from Pinkie really took the cake, too, kind of grinding away at my ear drums.

Furthermore, musical opinions are nearly entirely subjective. If one was to claim absolute objectivity their opinion of music, chances are they're lying. I can't claim a right or a wrong on the subject of Pinkie rapping, just how I feel, just based off of how subjective musical preferences are.

Well it being annoying was entirely subjective due to your bias of Rarity. It didn't detract from the episode at large,but added a bit of 90s flavor to the mix. It fit pinkies character (her character being described as "a tremendous ball of energy, always acting on her whims". And suggesting that I made a absolute claim to objectivity based on how I stated I enjoyed the rap, is rather crass. 

Well it being annoying was entirely subjective due to your bias of Rarity. It didn't detract from the episode at large,but added a bit of 90s flavor to the mix. It fit pinkies character (her character being described as "a tremendous ball of energy, always acting on her whims". And suggesting that I made a absolute claim to objectivity based on how I stated I enjoyed the rap, is rather crass. 

Didn't make that claim that you were claiming absolute objectivity, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was going both ways here, saying my take on the song was subjective just as well as yours, and there is no objectivity to music. That's what I was going for, and I apologize for the miscommunication. My take on the song is just as subjective as anyone else's, and is no more correct than the people saying they found it humorous.

But...errrm...

Well it being annoying was entirely subjective due to your bias of Rarity. 

I don't get how my Rarity bias falls into the mix of my opinion of Pinkie's rap :blink:

I thought the moral was that everyone learns/studies differently

The moral was that everyone have different ways to learn something.
The moral that was pronaunced was also illustrated by a particular case.

It's Rainbow Dash we talk here about. The pony who, as we know, always rejected reading not because it was uninteresting or "not her way to learn" but because it was "not cool" and "eggheads only". And it hasn't wondered me that in this episode she was totally disrespectful towards her friend who tried to help her just because that friend took over the role of a teacher. Neither was it a surprise that RD tried to dismiss the importance of the stuff she didn't want to learn.

It's very well known pattern of behavior. Children with such pattern aren't unique by any means. In some classes they build agressively overwhelming majority.

And this episode practically excuses such behaviour.

3 people have tried arguing my assesment of Pinkie's rap :P I usually only have that many people coming after me when I'm defending Rarity :D

The rap itself felt forced is what I was going at, not the rap appearing in the episode, that melded in just fine. All those horrid noises she made and the rap she did could've at least been a bit more quality while still achieving its goal of being humorously bad.

Like, the play; that was humorously bad without being irritating. The rap was so bad it was irritating. The play and the rap were both intended to be bad, but only the play did so while having a quality to it that didn't just feel stupid.

You didn't think the rap was the most amazing thing ever?

Okay, being serious now.  I'd say the rap was really bad.  It didn't actually tell us anything about the Wonderbolts, just rattled off a bunch of new ponies for the fanartists to draw.  But forced?  I'm not sure about that.  I'll be watching the episode a lot, so I might see what you mean after a repeat viewing.

You didn't think the rap was the most amazing thing ever?

Okay, being serious now.  I'd say the rap was really bad.  It didn't actually tell us anything about the Wonderbolts, just rattled off a bunch of new ponies for the fanartists to draw.  But forced?  I'm not sure about that.  I'll be watching the episode a lot, so I might see what you mean after a repeat viewing.

There's my reasoning behind it feeling forced :D I didn't really do a good job of getting my point across up in my review :blush:

Didn't make that claim that you were claiming absolute objectivity, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was going both ways here, saying my take on the song was subjective just as well as yours, and there is no objectivity to music. That's what I was going for, and I apologize for the miscommunication. My take on the song is just as subjective as anyone else's, and is no more correct than the people saying they found it humorous.

But...errrm...

I don't get how my Rarity bias falls into the mix of my opinion of Pinkie's rap :blink:

I mainly brought up your bias as part of the reason why you found Pinkie's voice annoying. Because due to your bias/waifuing of her, you will at a lower conscious level, compare everything similar to her voice, to her voice. Meaning that while most found it funny, and slightly off key, due to your innate comparison to Rarity, you found her voice that much more grating, as it departs largely from what you enjoy. 

And no problem, but seeing how I am one of four people who read it as such, may I suggest a little more clarity next time? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's Rainbow Dash we talk here about. The pony who, as we know, always rejected reading not because it was uninteresting or "not her way to learn" but because it was "not cool" and "eggheads only". And it hasn't wondered me that in this episode she was totally disrespectful towards her friend who tried to help her just because that friend took over the role of a teacher. Neither was it a surprise that RD tried to dismiss the importance of the stuff she didn't want to learn.

It's very well known pattern of behavior. Children with such pattern aren't unique by any means. In some classes they build agressively overwhelming majority.

I reacted the same way when my dad tried to help me to learn something. Math was always my problem, not because I was stupid, but because I didn't know HOW to learn it and people always shouted at me after sometime of teaching, because for me it was too stressful and my reactions were rather nasty. They wanted to FORCE her (just like my dad tried to force me to adapt to his ways of teaching, despite the fact it wasn't succesful) to learn something, and while their intentions were good, it's not a good way to help. It took me years to realize which way of learning is most succesful to me and thanks to that I passed my final exams without problem. If something, this episode shows that everyone can learn everything as long as they are aware of what method works for them.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 2

What in Tartarus are you talking about? Everyone is unique in their own way, and this episode showcases many real world study methods. Also, both Twi and Dash were scolded by Fluttershy, because Dashie was being disrespectful, and Twilight got upset and started egging her on.

• Brohoof 3

I never knew I could be so disappointed with yet so proud of Rainbow at the same time. I'm definitely glad Twilight found a study method for her. Speaking of which, I honestly never saw that method coming. I thought Twilight was going to read the book to Rainbow while they were flying or something. 

(edited)

Good episode, but not great.

- Pinkie Pie's rap was excellent, isn't that too much for a kids show? :P

- Great ending, I really like how the problem was solved.

- Some boring scenes, the succession of Fluttershy's, Pinkie Pie's and Rarity's methods was too slow.

- Rainbow Dash's house still wonderful. :wub:

- Ponyville was pretty inactive in this episode....

- I really like that scene where Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle's assistants are making music while she explains on the blackboard the history of the Wonderbolts.

I voted "I liked it!" :)

Edited by BlobuIle

people always shouted at me after sometime of teaching
Struggling with an impassionate teacher is not the same as rejecting the idea of learning something. Since we talk personal experience, I helped several people with math myself. My methods were absolutely conventional, nothing unique, and yet, most of my "students" have shown great improovement. You just need to pay attention at what exactly someone doesn't understand.

And of course, I would never waste my time on somebody who doesn't want to learn anything. Why should I care if he/she doesn't?

Btw, alicorn joke. 

I -swear- (after just finishing reading almost all of the comments on "Magical Mystery Cure") that Twilight's exclamation to RD's drawing of her, "I'm not that tall!" was a friendly poke to the Bronies who freaked out over the possibility that she was going to be tall now like Cadence, Luna, and Tia and stand over her other friends. See? Everything is fine!  :) 

I give this ep a 9/10 - totally awesome ep. Loses one star due to them not taking a PERFECT opportunity to stick Derpy in there with a one-liner when all the town pegasi roleplay the historical WB's at the very end. I know... controversy over her voice, but c'mon... Can they really avoid her saying -anything- for the next 5 seasons? :blink: Also Derpy should be the first one to lend a hoof to her friend Rainbow since she's usually hanging with her. :)

this episode showcases many real world study methods

Like a making a fashion show for one student? Are you sure it's a real study method? And even if it is, it seems like a waste of time and efford on somebody, who, as we know, was never interested in learning in general anyway.

General Firefly, props to the original G1 Pegasus Firefly? Who was one of the first pegasus ponies in the G1 line.

Yep. But also a call-out to Lauren Faust who uses Fyre-flye as a screen name (in tribute to the G1 pony, of course). As always, some of the best props come in many layers.

Also noticed either Grey DesLisle, or someone imitating her, doing the same Derpy voice she used for some fan-animation when a gray with blonde mane pegasis popped up saying 'Firefly' during the RainbowActuallyLearns sequence. No guarantee that was Derpy, or Grey for that matter, but hidden references are best references.

(edited)

Struggling with an impassionate teacher is not the same as rejecting the idea of learning something. Since we talk personal experience, I helped several people with math myself. My methods were absolutely conventional, nothing unique, and yet, most of my "students" have shown great improovement. You just need to pay attention at what exactly someone doesn't understand.

And of course, I would never waste my time on somebody who doesn't want to learn anything. Why should I care if he/she doesn't?

In my opinion Rainbow was somehow afraid of it, because she didn't saw it as beneficial to her. Add to it her cocky attitiude and... yeah. Rainbow is kind of pony, which is easily discouraged. She thinks that she's the best at anything and collision with the truth is painful for her. Her way of thinking is rather simple: I'm the best flyer ---> I don't need anything else. I don't want to say it's alright. I want to say that Rainbow sometimes needs... a pusher. Someone to show her (sometimes hard way) that she can't be so focused on herself. 

Like a making a fashion show for one student? Are you sure it's a real study method? And even if it is, it seems like a waste of time and efford on somebody, who, as we know, was never interested in learning in general anyway.

Deepening the knowledge of her passion allows her to also learn more about the topic at hand. I mean, she probably can learn through reading, but when she reads she pays special attention to things, which are really interesting for her. It probably works, especially with fashion, which was always connected to history one way or another. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1

Another awesome episode of Season 4! It's got a moral that some ponies learn differently than others and it has great scenes as well. I think the drawback I had was when Rainbow Dash's friends gotten too far when helping her learn. Other than that, brilliant episode.

My favourite parts are when Rainbow Dash started a band out of nowhere, Spike being hilarious and of course...the rapping scene! Take it away, Pinkie! 

• Brohoof 1

That was a good episode, nice to see RD and Twilight interact and man Twilight is such a egghead, lol. Pinkie's rap OMG that was amazing best part of the episode!! All in all a good episode and nice to see RD was able to pass the test without all those tips and tricks, 9/10!

Rainbow was somehow afraid of it, because she didn't saw it as beneficial to her. Add to it her cocky attitiude and... yeah. Rainbow is kind of pony, which is easily discouraged. She thinks that she's the best at anything and collision with the truth is painful for her.
You right here about RD, bit then again - aren't we all like that at some point? Especially as kids?

I mean, she probably can learn through reading, but when she reads she pays special attention to things, which are really interesting for her.
That's another problem. I simply can't believe that reading about wonderbolts didn't awake her interest.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I never in my time as a pegasister thought I could think any lower of RainbowDash than I did before.

After watching this episode, my hatred towards her has hit an all-time low.

She was so stuck-up throughout the entire episode.

Rainbow basically hints at Twilight that she will never be as good as her. Ever.

RainbowDash... You aren't perfect, cool, or awesome, sweetie. In fact, you're far from it.

She needs way more time to mature and realize she isn't as great as she thinks.

She was just so rude in this episode that I wanted to the jump through the screen and yell at her.

The only thing I enjoyed in this episode was PinkiePie's humor.

0/3

Edited by Samurott77
  • Brohoof 1

This was an alright episode. Twilight was so deliciously cute too.

However, this made RD look really stupid. Now I wonder if they'll actually build on this episode? Isn't Dashie now officially in the Wonderbolts reserve? I certainly hope they don't just drop this and never revisit it again. Because I'd like to see what Dashie does with it.

• Brohoof 2