Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Would You Consider E-Sports a Sport?

FaZe Vinyl

Question  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Should E-Sports Be Considered a Sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Interesting video I found today that raises a good question.

Personally, I believe they should count. What are your thoughts?

Not really. Its not a sport, its an e-sport. Y'kno whatam sayin'?

Yep. what this fella said.

I game, and I've done gymnastics/dance.

So no I'm going to consider sitting on your.... rear and moving your hands a SPORT.

That's gaming.

Yes, I would consider it a sport in the sense that mechanical dexterity exhibited by players is usually quite high. They have the same general mental reactivity in split second timing that athletes have, just with a different medium.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's a bit difficult, I wouldn't consider e-sports an actual sport, but I consider professional Chess one. I think it's because I perceive one as a strict game of skill and critical thinking and the other... well, gaming. Sure it takes a high amount of skill to compete at the higher levels with certain games, but I just can't see gaming as a sport; my brain won't do it.

Edited by Celtore

It's a bit difficult, I wouldn't consider e-sports an actual sport, but I consider professional Chess one. I think it's because I perceive one as a strict game of skill and critical thinking and the other... well, gaming. Sure it takes a high amount of skill to compete at the higher levels with certain games, but I just can't see gaming as a sport; my brain won't do it.

I disagree with a part of this.

Games are very mental on the competitive scene. 

In Call of Duty, in the game mode Blitz, your goal is to make it into the goal on the other team's spawn. Not only do you have to figure out which strategy works best for attacking (send 2 and leave 2, send 3 and leave 1, etc.), and then you have the maps themselves that have many flank routes, open areas, and a variety of ways to get to your destinations. The same can be made with any competitive game (mostly referring to LoL and DOTA).

As someone who has played competitive, you rely on gunskill as a fallback, with you having to make decisions on how to attack objectives and get kills on the fly, thinking in advance of the consequences.

I would also use an example from other games like LoL, but I'm not knowledgeable about those games in competitive terms, nor will I pretend to be.

(edited)

I disagree with a part of this.

Games are very mental on the competitive scene. 

In Call of Duty, in the game mode Blitz, your goal is to make it into the goal on the other team's spawn. Not only do you have to figure out which strategy works best for attacking (send 2 and leave 2, send 3 and leave 1, etc.), and then you have the maps themselves that have many flank routes, open areas, and a variety of ways to get to your destinations. The same can be made with any competitive game (mostly referring to LoL and DOTA).

As someone who has played competitive, you rely on gunskill as a fallback, with you having to make decisions on how to attack objectives and get kills on the fly, thinking in advance of the consequences.

I would also use an example from other games like LoL, but I'm not knowledgeable about those games in competitive terms, nor will I pretend to be.

I understand entirely, and that's partially why I'm conflicted. I'd certainly consider games like League of Legends or those sort of competitive games an electronic sport with no quarrels (sorry if my original post made this a bit unclear), but I struggle taking away the "e" from it and categorizing it with everything else.

Edited by Celtore

I'm conflicted over it too. There are gamers worldwide who play League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Super Smash Bros. and even Call of Duty for fame, money and the competitive nature behind those games, but a traditional sport typically involves moving more than just your arms or hands and making key presses.

Although on that matter I refuse to recognize CoD as a legitimate eSport because of the behavior of the competitors. Seriously, guys...

If that is a sport then so is a chess match. No, it is not a sport. That waters down the definition of a sport to a meaningless level.

Chess is recognized by the IOC as an organization,