Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you think there are more male fans than female fans?

FlutterDerpy582

It seems as the majority of the community are in fact Bronies, but I'm not completely sure. I am completely aware this is a gender neutral show, but why do you all think there are more Bronies in the community? I have always wondered that for whatever reason.

Edited by YourAverageBronie582

Gender neutral show.

Transgender just sounds like it is for transexual people.

And I think there is a greater amount of men liking the show just for the sheer fact that the original bronies were men, and seeing many other men who enjoy the show will attract more and more guys.

For woman, I think it depends on what type of girl they are to enjoy mlp.

I think that most girls grow up with these as a kid so it seems like baby stuff to them now. I think most men like this show because they try to grow up fast because of movies and show making them want to be an alpha male and be on top. And not be a boy anymore. If that makes any sense...

• Brohoof 3

Gender neutral show.

Transgender just sounds like it is for transexual people.

And I think there is a greater amount of men liking the show just for the sheer fact that the original bronies were men, and seeing many other men who enjoy the show will attract more and more guys.

For woman, I think it depends on what type of girl they are to enjoy mlp.

Ahh that's what I meant to type, thanks for the heads up. D:

I would say more men watch this show because of the way it is spread on the internet. Youtube, memebase, ... rule 34..

My point is, the vast majority of people browsing these sites are males.

• Brohoof 3

Another reason is the vast majority of female characters in the show could attract a lot of the male furries. I'm not one myself but some of my friends who are attracted to the show are.

I think that most girls grow up with these as a kid so it seems like baby stuff to them now. I think most men like this show because they try to grow up fast because of movies and show making them want to be an alpha male and be on top. And not be a boy anymore. If that makes any sense...

I no doubt see where your coming from. I will admit, some of the reason I personally watch the show is to bring back the carefree child we all once were.

• Brohoof 2

Well, you never know who becomes the fans of a certain piece of media! I guess there are more males, because the females aren't as right-wing as the males are, so you don't think you see many. I am sure out there, there are plenty of female bronies.

About 70/30 Male/female right now.

However, the gap is narrowing, by the end it could be 60/40, then 50/50.

Its an interesting topic. The way I see it is...the reason why there are more males who are into MLP is kinda because...that's just how we guys are. Have you ever noticed that when a group of guys likes something, we become absolutley obsessed with it? Not saying girls can't be like that too, but (and I'm no pchycologist) guys just seem to be way more vehement when it comes to liking things, or fads, etc. MLP is one of the cases. I got into because its a great show, it makes me laugh, and I really like it. I'm sure its the same for anyone, girl or boy. But as for the reason there are more guys? Honestly that's just how we are. If its good, and if other guys like it, we make it into a frat party, so to speak.

Does that make sense? I hope so cause I don't want to use that much brain power to write a responce again.

Edited by GuitarGuru007
  • Brohoof 2

Bronies is a bi-sexual term for both sexes of the fandom. Female fans are called bronies too.

Exactly. Its the same as 'men' being used to refer to both sexes. (Though apparently in this 'modern age' thats sexist)

Also there are no women on the internet.

All women are men

All men are young boys

All young boys are young girls

All young girls are law enforcement agents

Jokes

Perhaps I'm the odd guy out here. I first watched the show because of all the attention it was getting since it was attracting male viewers. I don't like the show just because all the other guys are doing it. I'm sure some guys did just jump on the bandwagon though. I personally like the comedy and cuteness. There are also ponies that I identify with through their personalities. If there are other reasons I like the show, they must be subconcious. As a child I was never told "That's what boys are suppose to do" or "That's only what girls watch" so I don't reallygender group things. That could be why I was easily drawn into the series. I still feel some of that social stigma whenever my mom finds it necessary to tell random people that I like ponies. BTW got me a brony shirt the other day at Hot Topic! Yay!

Exactly. Its the same as 'men' being used to refer to both sexes. (Though apparently in this 'modern age' thats sexist)

Also there are no women on the internet.

All women are men

All men are young boys

All young boys are young girls

All young girls are law enforcement agents

Jokes

I wasn't meaning to offend or seem like I was making a joke...many female fans are fine, and do call them selves "brony" over pegasister. I was just stating the term is used for both sexes.

I wasn't meaning to offend or seem like I was making a joke...many female fans are fine, and do call them selves "brony" over pegasister. I was just stating the term is used for both sexes.

I know. The joke is in the spoiler. I was being serious above that.

I don't think that there's more bronies than pegasisters. I just think that for some reason, this specific community attracts a lot of males.

In my time, I have seen an equal number of both genders on DA and in a roleplay community I used to be in. Both genders like ponies equally. And also, I agree with Guitar Guru. When men like something, they are more likely to become utterly engrossed in it. And are more likely to join forums and such. Whilst women probably like to enjoy things more quietly and not engage in as much fandom. Most of the pegasisters I've met here (myself included) seem to be more... lukewarm fans of the show. Casual.

Which might explain why the lack of women here as well. Also, since this community started off as an off-shoot of a 3DS forum, (which I assume attracted more males than females) it already had a sizable base of males. And somehow, this base of males kept attracting more and more males, and very few females.

Personally, I find the irony of being one of the few females on a forum designed around an unmistakably girl's show to be hilarious, kind of jarring, and to be honest, somewhat upsetting. I wish I could interact with more of my gender.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 5

My guess would be that the show represents more of a relief from a lot of social burdens for men than for women, as it completely counters the traditional notion of what it means to be a "man" (outside of some fantasies Spike has, which are humorous in how absurd they are). So while I'm sure many women would like the show, it just doesn't contrast with the expectations society has put on them as sharply as it does with men.

Or maybe more men spend outrageous amounts of time on the internet, either/or.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think that there's more bronies than pegasisters. I just think that for some reason, this specific community attracts a lot of males.

In my time, I have seen an equal number of both genders on DA and in a roleplay community I used to be in. Both genders like ponies equally. And also, I agree with Guitar Guru. When men like something, they are more likely to become utterly engrossed in it. And are more likely to join forums and such. Whilst women probably like to enjoy things more quietly and not engage in as much fandom. Most of the pegasisters I've met here (myself included) seem to be more... lukewarm fans of the show. Casual.

Which might explain why the lack of women here as well. Also, since this community started off as an off-shoot of a 3DS forum, (which I assume attracted more males than females) it already had a sizable base of males. And somehow, this base of males kept attracting more and more males, and very few females.

Personally, I find the irony of being one of the few females on a forum designed around an unmistakably girl's show to be hilarious, kind of jarring, and to be honest, somewhat upsetting. I wish I could interact with more of my gender.

I have a friend who loves the show, but shes not as into it as I am. Casual fan, like you say. As far as she goes into the community is listening to some music remixes on youtube.

I also find it quite ironic as well that theres more males here than females for a forum thats around a girls show. And no feel to feel upset, you are not alone. *is a pegasister*

I like Pegasister better, but it doesn't seem to be catching on. Oh well, I'm a Brony now!