Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media A character you thought was a different gender than what they were

~Sugar Sprinkles~

Im sure a lot of us as kids have thought a character was a male/female. 

Back then as kids, the features we saw gave off their gender. Is there any character from video games that you thought was the opposite gender than what they really are?

Playing Banjo Kazooie, I always thought Kazooie was a male. I did not read the texts as much as a kids because I was a kid, I did not care for reading. Some of the things Kazooie said and acted like brought me to thinking she was male. I also ignored the fact that she had eyelashes, to bring off her girlish look in the boxart. I kind of paid more attention to in game play. I always thought she was Banjo's best MALE friend, until one day, I found out she was a girl. I felt so dumb.

In the Disney movie the Lion King, I thought that Hyena, Shenzi, was as well a boy. Whoopi Goldberg (The voice of Shenzi) did not sound too feminine to me in that movie. I mean, Banzai and Ed were males, so I assumed Shenzi was too. I mean, her appearance was...not so feminine either.

In Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, I also thought Double D was a female. I thought he was a VERY tomboyish girl. I mean, Double D was whimpy and all, but the clothing brought me to think he was a tomboyish girl. The way Double D talked got me thinking he was a female. I was very young though, I then realized they would say "he" or "him" or called him an "Edd boy". I realized fast Double D was a boy.

Well, any of you had that situation?

• Brohoof 7

I thought Double D from Ed Edd n Eddy was a girl. I thought his hat was hair and he kind of sounded like a girl. Speaking of the hat, what's under it?

This is weird but when I was like 4 I thought Buttercup from the Power puff girls was a boy. She sounded more masculine to me and apparently I ignored the title of the show.

• Brohoof 6

Not looking too far:

When I first saw Rainbow Dash, I thought she's a guy :) To be honest, I still get tricked by that from time to time, and unconsciously say "he" instead of "she" when talking about her.

But it's not just me perhaps. I once watched an interview with Polish voice actress who lends Rainbow Dash her voice, and in that interview she also mistook Rainbow Dash for a guy; she used "he" instead of "she" several times, until weird looks of fans made her realize her mistake ;)

• Brohoof 2

Apparently Birdo from the mario franchise is a cross-dressing male.

That was kinda weird for me.

1186840-birdo__mario_party_8_.jpg

I was just thinking about this after I made my post. Yeah, I also saw Birdo partnered up with Yoshi and the fan art of them being a "thing" and then I read up about Birdo and....she..was HE! Oh Japan..

• Brohoof 1

Marth from Super Smash Bros is apparently a male...I've not played Fired Emblem, so I didn't know this...but he looks so darn feminine I was just confused...like, he had a hairband and a high voice and the art style of his eyes were rather effeminate... It wasn't until an angry YouTube commenter corrected me that I found out. O.o

• Brohoof 1

If there ever was a time I thought a character was the opposite gender I've forgotten it. I've played so many games, watched so many anime, that short of them legit trying to deceive you by making them look like the opposite gender it's easy to tell. I've never understood why people thought Cloud was a girl. It never made sense to me. It's pretty easy to tell what their genders are, I think people just want to have a reason to hate on Cloud.

Seabreeze from MLP. 

And Ryuuko Matoi from Kill la Kill especially. She's a tomboy and she has a VA who voices her just like that to the point where I still subconsciously call her a boy.

• Brohoof 2

Only one that comes to mind is Zelos Wilder from the JRPG Tales of Symphonia. I was 14 at the time, rather ignorant about anime character designs, and still associated the color pink with female. Imagine my surprise when he finally spoke.

Looking back now, it's screamingly obvious that he's a guy. I was dumb.

• Brohoof 1

Samus Aran. My first encounter with her was in Super Smash Bros, and I was so confused and dissapointed when I found out my favorite character was a girl! My brother made fun of me to no end for that!  :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Well, for MLP I thought Scootaloo was a guy, but I should've known better considering this is MLP.

I recently, I picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening, and thought Libra was a she. It doesn't help that he both looks AND sounds like a woman.

Riviera_FE13_Artwork.jpg

Samus Aran. My first encounter with her was in Super Smash Bros, and I was so confused and dissapointed when I found out my favorite character was a girl! My brother made fun of me to no end for that!  :lol:

Yeah, thought she was a male, too. :lol: