S04:E23 - Inspiration Manifestation  

256 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I loved it! <3

Is that last line serious or not? I can't really tell.

Which last line? The one in normal font, or the one in small font?

I assume the spirit of the book won't be referenced again. Let's just say it can't live without a body so it just dissipates..

Alternatively, it just finds another host...

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

This felt like a season 1 or 2 episode. Always fun to see over the top Rarity (dark magic possessed or otherwise).

Also, Octavia ... nice

• Brohoof 2

Oh geeze...I had a bad feeling about this episode from the get go. Once more we have an episode in which Spike acts like a total moron. See a sinister looking book hidden behind a secret door? Clearly nothing bad could come of it! See Rarity slowly slipping into Gollum level of insanity? She's totally fine! That's another thing: nothing that happened in this episode was Rarity's fault. She was being controlled by a dark force compelling her to commit all these things, all thanks to Spike's bumblings. Twilight was right to yell at him in the end!

Speaking of the ending, notice Twilight said "Princess Luna and Princess Cadance". What about Princess Celestia? We've seen she's capable of dispelling magic over a great area so how come the writers didn't think to include her? And before someone goes "Oh, she has a kingdom to run!" need I remind you that so does Cadance! Not to mention that Cadance would have needed to travel some ways to get there from the Crystal Empire when they could have just asked both Luna and Celestia. Why is Princess Celestia getting no love this season?!

On a slightly more positive note, I liked Owlowiscious being the voice of reason here. 

All and all, yet again we have a terrible Spike episode in the same vein as Spike At Your Service. This doesn't bode well for next week's episode at all. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

This episode really put me through hell...I was scared the whole time.

I HATED seeing Rarity like that. I HATED it. HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED!!!!!!

This was Sonic Rainboom Tier on the portrayal for a good while...I was so scared...my knees feel sort of weak...

It wasn't her doing that, though, so don't you dare forget that much. She was under the influence of dark magic.

I'll give it an "Ok," by the way.

Really?

I like seeing characters influenced by outside forces such as dark magic.

You can make them go out of character without ruining the character that way. Unless you're going for a more realistic situation.

• Brohoof 2

OMG....... Spike writing is amazing in this episode..... Simply wonderful.... The episode itself was very creepy at times, but I kinda liked that... Kinda like a party of one moment..... Overall i really enjoyed this episode XD.

• Brohoof 4

This episode really put me through hell...I was scared the whole time.

I HATED seeing Rarity like that. I HATED it. HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED!!!!!!

This was Sonic Rainboom Tier on the portrayal for a good while...I was so scared...my knees feel sort of weak...

It wasn't her doing that, though, so don't you dare forget that much. She was under the influence of dark magic.

I'll give it an "Ok," by the way.

-Insert Animated gif of someone eating popcorn here-

• Brohoof 4

Alternatively, it just finds another host...

I guess it could do that.

But i think one would have to recite the words Rarity said when she read the book out loud in order for the spirit to find another host.

And so I was right about Sparity being sunk, they now see each other as just friends. As for my thoughts on the episode, it was....okay, I liked it initially than realized that not much was actually happening, she was just transforming more and more things in ponyville to suit her deranged vision.....it was pretty boring, really. And predictable since I knew they weren't gonna continue it beyond this episode so it had to be resolved during it. And I like how they resolved it, it made sense. Still.....I don't think there were any plot holes at least, other than possibly the book itself, why it was in the castle (which castle, I don't know, I don't believe it was ever clarified), locked up instead of being destroyed if it was so dangerous. But maybe it couldn't be destroyed? It was magical, or maybe for whatever reason someone wanted to somehow use it for good without becoming corrupted?

I dunno. Anyway, episode started off good, but was overall meh.

• Brohoof 1

-Nice of them to put the kibosh on Sparity on the eve of a Sparity episosde. :comeatus:

-Not sure if the puppeteer has a special significance. Is he a play on somebody famous in real life? :huh:

-Nice to see Who, I mean, Owlowiscious again.

-A hidden death trap chamber containing a spell book. Nice.

-How much ice cream did she eat??  :P

-Evil green glow? Rarity seems a little crazy?

-The power of the magic from that book to transform things is incredible.

-What in rhubarb pie just happened? :lol:

-A little secret for the "three" of us? Tell me that's not disturbing. :blink:

-Dashie's new dress, heh. 

-Fluttershy's new bird mansion.  I think Woodstock would like that.  :)

-Ruined Pinkie's perfectly good party.

-Apparently it's not Rarity's will but the book's? How is that possible? And how can Owlowiscious know that and not Spike?

-Spike ate it?? Apparently the magic has transferred to Rarity and now it's just jewel encrusted paper. Harmless to our little dragon, heh. :)

I was beginning to expect a King Midas type of ending where Rarity transforms Spike entirely into crystal for trying to disrupt her joy of beautifying Ponyville. Then of course Rarity would sob, regret doing that, and break the spell's hold on her that way. But this simpler climax was effective enough.

• Brohoof 2

Which last line? The one in normal font, or the one in small font?

Where "Rarity shall never be forgiven" or something.

-Insert Animated gif of someone eating popcorn here-

Yeahh. I'm pretty on edge right now, but I'm still ready to speak out against unfair critcisms against Rares Spike is free game though

Because of this episode, might I add.

I know Spike not telling anyone about Rarity's dark magic, though someone should have noticed though. Anyway, Spike should not have taken the book because I'm pretty sure a book locked away behind a stone wall with a lock and a mysterious symbol on the book, is not a good sign to take it. Rarity crying and eating the ice cream, was cute.

As for the rest of the episode, the pacing didn't come off to me as strange and let's just say... Rarity using dark magic scared me.

209rgw5.jpg

• Brohoof 3

This one's gonna need a rewatch from me, before I can reach a solid conclusion. I'm pretty sure that I liked it, it wasn't as messy as last week's episode, but had a very strange vibe to it (like Just for Sidekicks). 

One thing that did stand out was that Spike was either an idiot or an asshole to Twilight in the final minute of the episode. Why was that necessary? The little guy already gets a lot of hate, but this is kind of a nitpick.

I know Spike not telling anyone about Rarity's dark magic, though someone should have noticed though. Anyway, Spike should not have taken the book because I'm pretty sure a book locked away behind a stone wall with a lock and a mysterious symbol on the book, is not a good sign to take it. Rarity crying and eating the ice cream, was cute.

As for the rest of the episode, the pacing didn't come off to me as strange and let's just say... Rarity using dark magic scared me.

209rgw5.jpg

It scared the living end out of me too, don't worry.

• Brohoof 3

Yeahh. I'm pretty on edge right now, but I'm still ready to speak out against unfair critcisms against Rares Spike is free game though

Because of this episode, might I add.

Fortunately for me I don't care what others think about her, so I was able to just enjoy the episode :D

• Brohoof 2

@,

What i'd give for an episode centering around the princesses daily life.

• Brohoof 2

They really should consider nuking that castle library from orbit.

Anyway, it was decent. 7/10-ish. I liked the moral about being able to accept criticism and move on, it was delightfully creepy and unnerving, what with Rarity turning into Lawnmower Mare (congrats if you get that reference), and the voice actors did the absolute best with what they had. It just feels like we've seen this done before, and the Gollumfication of Rarity sort of undercut the chemistry between the two leads. But it's harmless enough, and it didn't anger me like Cory Powell's last two episodes, so there you go. It's alright in my book.

But hey...eat any good books lately?

• Brohoof 2

Of course I'm serious - I will not take lightly such a large insult toward my most beloved type of musical instruments.

The poor alphorny instrument. It was beautiful enough, you know!