1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I loved it! <3

Spike... ate the book? :blink:

Just... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :o

I can only hope that has some sort of negative reprecussions eventually... would be interesting. :wacko:

And yeah, I kinda figured the spell would be what was controlling Rarity. And I guess dark magic can be green too, since that's what Twilight called it in then end. :huh:

Anyway, not a bad episode really. Not the best Rarity episode ever, nor the best Spike episode ever, but I enjoyed it for what it was- a test of the relationship between Spike and Rarity, that's what I got out of it anyway. Had some great moments too like Spike being super chill with the book death trap, some of Rarity's alterations being silly(I think the party was a decently silly scene in that case), and the aforementioned devouring of the book, plus the episode had a good underlying moral as well.

I think we finally got an episode where Rarity truly went crazy though! That spellbook was surely her Pinkamena/tardy, and that's something I've been waiting for honestly. Although, I suppose she's gone a bit crazy more than a few times this season... but I believe that this was on a new level. :o

The thing about Rarity though is that she's a character who makes mistakes, like we all do. This time she just went a bit mad with power, but in the end she did realize her mistake because Spike helped her do so, and she wasn't entirely herself, so I can only hope haters will give her a break. :wacko:

So yeah, I enjoyed this episode overall. A friendly reminder that we all make mistakes and sometimes they can go too far if left unchecked by ourselves and/or our loved ones. Pretty great lesson if you ask me. :)

8.5/10

• Brohoof 7

I just loved the episode, there was something with Rarity with that much power. And also where did she get all that ice cream? I found the episode where entertaining. ^^

But also questions arise. Where did that book come from? An other relic of dark magic. Am intrigued.  

I got a good laugh, watching Rarity pigging out on eight quarts of vanilla ice cream... And Spike? *sigh* Gee! look here, a booby-trapped book, hidden behind a locked iron gate AND a secret door... Nothing bad ever came from reading a book...right? Couldn't Rarity at least restore the Sister's old castle? *facehoof*    *deep breath*   *exhale*    Ok... I'm fine... really.  

• Brohoof 1

One thing that threw me off though is that they never again mention that spike ate the book.... It's never addressed..... Fan fic writers.... START YOUR ENGINES!!!

I'm currently thinking of a way to have evil Spike from the book coming from the book he ate ^^

Hey it IS open for interpretation.

• Brohoof 1

Oh wow, that was much better than I had expected!  For the first half or so, I could only see it as a combination of a bunch of other episodes (Lesson Zero, Secret of My Excess, Cutie Pox...), but then it got really good.  Instead of Rarity realizing what she was doing wrong, it was Spike who had to put his friendship with Rarity on the line so that he could help her.  It was an interesting concept for an episode, and it was presented very well in my opinion.

Most importantly though, we have the return of Octavia!  :wub:  Okay, maybe not most importantly, but it was appreciated.  She hasn't been seen since mid-season 2 (in Sweet and Elite).  It was getting to the point where I just figured that the show staff had forgotten about her.

Overall, a great episode, and it's very possibly my favorite Spike episode.  I'd also venture to say that it's one of the better episodes of the whole season.  Not the best, but it's certainly up in the 'above average' category.

• Brohoof 3

They want you to upgrade their houses.

So, the episode features a bird house getting turned into a bird mansion... and we're now getting a commercial for a bird house.

I thought the same thing. That spy birdhouse on the commercial though... is honestly quite creepy. Much more sinister than Rarity simply making one excessively large.

• Brohoof 1

@@Sir Wulfington,

I heard it as dark magic, but the chat exploded with 'Dirt magic?' and 'OMG DERK MAGIC'.

Best part of the chat was when the birdy commercial came on. I was dying of laughter due to the chats reactions.

• Brohoof 1

Fortunately for me I don't care what others think about her, so I was able to just enjoy the episode :D

But I do, considering she gets a lot of ridiculous hate and how much she means to me. 

I doubt I would've truly enjoyed this episode even if I didn't, anyway.

I was on edge the whole time, and still I am.

Anyone else think Twilight said "Dirt Magic" or "Derk Magic" at the very end to spike instead of "Dark Magic"? Lots of people in the chat felt that way and were joking about it :P

Yeah i thought she said dirt magic too.

• Brohoof 2

They really should consider nuking that castle library from orbit.

Anyway, it was decent. 7/10-ish. I liked the moral about being able to accept criticism and move on, it was delightfully creepy and unnerving, what with Rarity turning into Lawnmower Mare (congrats if you get that reference), and the voice actors did the absolute best with what they had. It just feels like we've seen this done before, and the Gollumfication of Rarity sort of undercut the chemistry between the two leads. But it's harmless enough, and it didn't anger me like Cory Powell's last two episodes, so there you go. It's alright in my book.

But hey...eat any good books lately?

Bonus points for the King reference and ST:tng... take my Worf, please!

• Brohoof 1

This episode's gonna stand at the top 5 of my favorite S4 episodes. Finally got a well written Spike episode, with Rarity as a control valueg  (:lol:). Still not really original, because it reminds me of Lesson Zero, but in the end, this one stands out as one of my top 5 S4 epsiodes.

9.8/10

Welp, prepare yourselves for some more Sparity shipfics, and probably a new one. (Sparibook. :lol:)

Anyone else think Twilight said "Dirt Magic" or "Derk Magic" at the very end to spike instead of "Dark Magic"? Lots of people in the chat felt that way and were joking about it :P

I actually thought that she had said "Derp Magic" for a moment...

Also, has anyone else noticed how nonchalantly they go to the abandoned castle now?  In the first episode, it was this terrifying adventure though *gasp* THE EVERFREE FOREST  :o but now it's more like, "Eh, we're going to the the Princesses' old castle now.  See ya later."

• Brohoof 2

One thing that threw me off though is that they never again mention that spike ate the book.... It's never addressed..... Fan fic writers.... START YOUR ENGINES!!!

Spike belches green fire, melts iron locks with ease, eats gemstones...gnoshing on a magic book wont faze his stomach one bit..

• Brohoof 2

But I do, considering she gets a lot of ridiculous hate and how much she means to me. 

I doubt I would've truly enjoyed this episode even if I didn't, anyway.

I was on edge the whole time, and still I am.

I have loads of experience arguing with ignorant individuals, and I can safely say that no matter what, even if you show them absolute evidence to prove your side of the table right, that some people just won't listen. There are those who only see what they choose to see, and nothing you can do will make them see otherwise. It's best to just let them think what they want, rather than give yourself a headache trying to make them see reason. As long as you know you're right, that's all that matters.

Well, unless you're in court at risk of being sentenced to death for a crime you didn't commit, and you have to convince the jury that you didn't do it or else you're toast. In which case, I strongly suggest trying everything in your power to make them see that you're right.

• Brohoof 2

Also, has anyone else noticed how nonchalantly they go to the abandoned castle now?  In the first episode, it was this terrifying adventure though *gasp* THE EVERFREE FOREST  :o but now it's more like, "Eh, we're going to the the Princesses' old castle now.  See ya later."

Well it's because mobs don't respawn in the Everfree Forest. Obviously.

• Brohoof 1

I actually thought that she had said "Derp Magic" for a moment...

Was it the abandoned castle? I don't recall it ever being said which one it was.

I have loads of experience arguing with ignorant individuals, and I can safely say that no matter what, even if you show them absolute evidence to prove your side of the table right, that some people just won't listen. There are those who only see what they choose to see, and nothing you can do will make them see otherwise. It's best to just let them think what they want, rather than give yourself a headache trying to make them see reason. As long as you know you're right, that's all that matters.

Well, unless you're in court at risk of being sentenced to death for a crime you didn't commit, and you have to convince the jury that you didn't do it or else you're toast. In which case, I strongly suggest trying everything in your power to make them see that you're right.

Doesn't matter if they listen, it matters if I'm heard by anyone. That being said, I really don't have time to discuss the dichotomy of debating. Sorry.

It looks like Corey Powell is learning, she has finally written a fairly good episode, season four has been the season for Rarity, as she becomes possessed by dark magic from a evilly book, that looks like the Necronomicon from the Evil Dead movies, now if Bruce Campbell made a appearance in this episode the awesomeness would be complete. Spike finally played a significant role this time too, for he has been in the background during the prevailing season, this time in order to help Rarity he goes back to the castle ruins, and finds the evil book in a hidden passage. With dark powers, Rarity does evil things like, reanimating Ponyville in her image, and changing everything to help ponies, so in a strange sort of way she was not evil, but a benevolent tyrant, for she was not trying to make ponies lives worse off, but trying to improve them in Rarity's image of course, in a macabre sort of way it can be a metaphor for the government, trying to make changes that people don't agree with, rather than benefit people, it puts people into misery, and Spike is like the citizenry, just going along with the changes despite of the ponies' opinions. Spike was being a good friend, never admitting to Rarity that she is going to far, until the dark magic temps her to alter all of Equestria, Spike finally tells her the truth and it breaks the spell, all in all this was a good episode, I hope Corey Powell can write another episode like this, and it was nice to Spike doing something significant to the story, now I want to see the Equestria Games, see y'all ponies next weekend.   

• Brohoof 1

Haha OMG I was just about to mention that, no wonder the book was taking control of Rarity, like it took control of Nicholas.

Holy crap, it matches up perfectly!

1175271098_1.jpg

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 3

I really liked this episode good lesson and funny moments. Was happy to see the return of overdramaticness and the fainting couch. That is the one thing I've always liked about rarity is her over the top mellow drama.

Was it the abandoned castle? I don't recall it ever being said which one it was.

I don't think that it was specifically stated, but the castle Spike got the book from looked like the castle in the Everfree forest, and I don't know of any other abandoned castles that it could be.

I don't think that it was specifically stated, but the castle Spike got the book from looked like the castle in the Everfree forest, and I don't know of any other abandoned castles that it could be.

I think he got it from the castle we saw in "Castle Mane-ia" myself :D