S04:E23 - Inspiration Manifestation  

256 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I loved it! <3

Am I the only one that realized we had an episode where the moral was about honesty, WITHOUT Applejack featuring? Man, the writers sure do like the "best background pony" joke if they're taking it this far

• Brohoof 1

Opening scene with Rarity, "Just because the attendees are young, doesn't mean they don't deserve my very best creative work"

Only me that instantly thought about MLP as a whole in that sentence? :lol:

Ah, nice connection you made there. Makes sense. :)
  • Brohoof 1

I. LOVED. THIS. EPISODE.

Dang I can relate to creative blocks lmao. Awesome lesson too about friendship, even though no one really cares about spike IMO.

Gorgeous episode. One of the best in a long time.

Oh my gosh they're in the same episode.

BmK4qooCYAAguBn.pngBmK6z6oCUAAGwpv.png

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 3

Rarity gets her second outing in "crazy" mode. (score so far: Rarity: 2, Twilight: 1 (almost 2 in "Testing...Testing..." ), Fluttershy: 1, Spike: 1, and 0 for the rest of the Mane 7.)

how about AJ in the episode she insists on bucking all the apples herself? sleep depravation not count as crazy mode?

• Brohoof 1

I LOVED THIS ESPIODE!! It was so awesome watching currrrazy Rarity! I really can't think of anything bad about this episode. Spike and Owlowiscious were great to! No doubt ghostie loved this episode to!! Yet another amazing Rarity episode! Even when she's under some spell she still manages to be amazing!!

how about AJ in the episode she insists on bucking all the apples herself? sleep depravation not count as crazy mode?

Good point! I guess I didn't count it because she didn't get the "crazy" eyes like Twilight did! :lol: I'll add that one too, then. Thanks! :)

And I totally forgot about "Party of One", definitely a crazy (crazier-than-usual that is) episode for Pinkie Pie! :lol:

That means Rainbow is the only sane pony among them. B)

Edited by TruffleShuffle

Most people consider "Applebuck Season" as the episode where Applejack goes crazy/has a mental breakdown. Applejack was also a bit nutty in "Somepony to Watch Over Me" . Pinkie had "Party of One" and Rainbow almost lost it in "Sonic Rainboom" when she was so nervous she was shaking in a corner. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover

I'm pretty sure he's specifically talking about S4

Good point! I guess I didn't count it because she didn't get the "crazy" eyes like Twilight did! :lol: I'll add that one too, then. :)

And I totally forgot about "Party of One", definitely a crazy (crazier-than-usual that is) episode for Pinkie Pie! :lol:

That means Rainbow is the only sane pony among them. B)

No Rainbow Dash was shaking in a corner before the young flyers competition. She didn't go as crazy as some of the other characters but judging from her expression it sure as heck looked like she was about to lose it.

My DVR didn't record anything. some one want to link me to the episode? =(

The episode is on youtube now. I also put the link on my tumblr page http://stitchthebest36.tumblr.com/post/83924049796/fisherpon-mlp-fim-s4e24-inspiration 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover

No Rainbow Dash was shaking in a corner before the young flyers competition. She didn't go as crazy as some of the other characters but judging from her expression it sure as heck looked like she was about to lose it.

I'll have to go back and watch it again. :)  For my own "crazy" list, the character usually has to go batpoop crazy for most of an entire act to qualify. :lol:

I'm pretty sure he's specifically talking about S4

I was thinking of all seasons, but I just didn't count "Applebuck Season" because her kind of crazy was due to sleep deprivation. But after thinking about it I think it's fair to count that as well. And like I said, "Party of One" just slipped my mind once I started typing, even though I had been thinking about it when I started my original post. :blush:

This episode had a lot of fun moments, but it to me it felt disjointed. Before the book came into play a conflict was already established, that Rarity made something which did not work out and was depressed about it. It looked like it was setting up a plot about Rarity needing to learn how to handle criticism, then things started shifting gears. The new conflict was about Rarity being possessed by a spell, and Spike having to deal with her madness. The fact that Rarity was being possessed by the spell cheapened it for me as Spike wasn't dealing with Rarity having a legitimate character flaw, it was the book causing it.

Also I felt like the episode lacked a good sense of community. Sure Ponyville and everypony else was there, but they felt like props. Rarity did something to mess up their day, and that was it. No followup or seeing the consequences. I was glad that we saw Twilight taking a more active role in helping with the problem, but again we only saw a little bit and they added in a line about Luna and Cadance helping her instead of showing it. None of the others interacted with Rarity, putting distance between her and the community and adding to the disjointed feel.

So overall a rather disjointed episode. It also gives me the same feeling Bats did where the focus was too much on watching a character act crazy then trying to write a coherent story.

• Brohoof 3

Yes it does, but there is a limit to that. Taking that book was incredibly stupid in the first place, and using it on Rarity was even stupider. What if it had seriously hurt her? Then somehow being totally oblivious to the change in her personality, and then continuing to go along with it even after he had noticed. Spike is a kid, not an idiot. He always seemed to be reasonably intelligent until the last two seasons.

I don't really have a problem with him going along with it as long as he did, considering he feared losing Rarity's affection.

Agreed on him being badly portrayed in recent seasons.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I enjoyed this episode alot. I usually don't like spike and rarity episodes but this one was great! One step closer to the (hopefully) epic finale!

• Brohoof 1

I hate it when I don't like an episode. I can't say that there is something inherently bad about it, but this one just rubbed me waaaay off the the wrong way.

Rarity's freak out is stupid. She's acting like she never had to deal with bad criticism before. Did that guy actually explain to her what he wanted, so she would be able to do what he wanted, because it felt like he said "make me a puppeteer stage!" and them said nothing about dimensions or style and then he feels justified to complain because she didn't do exactly what he wanted. Just stupid.

Then there is the "who joke". It was bad to keep repeating this one on the first episode. Now it's just grating. I don't understand why is it that the book was kept in such an easy place to rob if it was supposed to be dangerous. It's not like the Alicorn Amulet, that was "lost". This artifact was being kept in a place where a freaking child waltz in and gets it.

After that it's just the book's magic making Rarity be a mildly annoying idiot that can't even be called "evil". The Alicorn Amulet must be wherever bad magical artifacts go, mocking this book for being so lame.

Then along comes Twilight, looking for "somepony suspicious". Yes, you idiot! How about one of your best friends? Rarity? Remember her?! I mean... No one sees that it's Rarity doing all that?! No one even thinks that this might be a possibility?! The one that puts gems in everything she does?!

In the end Twilight specifically mentions Luna and Cadance having better things to do than fixing the messes ponies make. So... What is Celestia doing? Is she actually working, and that is why the others could spare time to fix this mess? Why isn't she even mentioned, if the others are? Why is it that the show hates Celestia? Oh.. I know. She was thinking of ways to fix the mess that is this episode.

I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't like this one.

Isn't it interesting that an episode with Spike comes out on the same day as the St. George Day festival here where I live? Dragons. Dragons everywhere.

This episode really killed with the entertainment value. Who wouldn't want to see Rarity be corrupted insane for 22 minutes straight?

The biggest issue I can put up with this episode is Spike sitting around for too long and saying nothing but yes to Rarity, his inaction is what caused this plot to run the entire 22 minutes. It's understandable that Spike is doing this because he's crushing like mad on Rarity, but are you really continuing to stand idle and serve her while she basically makes the whole world crumble around you?

At the end, Twilight gets hit as the butt of a joke in an interesting role reversal, though I think this show is becoming too cynical for its own good. Spike should have been punished in some way for his inaction.

Am I the only one that realized we had an episode where the moral was about honesty, WITHOUT Applejack featuring? Man, the writers sure do like the "best background pony" joke if they're taking it this far

I agree with this, some of the time of Spike just sitting around and being Rarity's yes man really would have been used better if Applejack said a line or two to Spike to set Spike's solution to the plot in motion.

Edited by ~Happy Gilda (WCP)

Rarity's freak out is stupid. She's acting like she never had to deal with bad criticism before. Did that guy actually explain to her what he wanted, so she would be able to do what he wanted, because it felt like he said "make me a puppeteer stage!" and them said nothing about dimensions or style and then he feels justified to complain because she didn't do exactly what he wanted. Just stupid.

First off, the dude was a huge, mocking, patronizing jerk about it, and Rarity is a *bit* sensitive, especially considering how much work she put into something, especially when it appeared he didn't pay for it at all and it was a gift from her own giving spirit.

Second off, Rarity gets upset about things easily. It's part of who she is and what makes her a great character. 

Also, we know for a fact she's had to deal with bad criticism before. Remember "Suited for Success?" her friends weren't very quiet about how they felt about the dresses she initially made them and ended up making them look ugly because she kept caving in to her client's desires.

However, they weren't patronizing and outright mean about it like he was. Do you like getting told you suck when you try and do something good for someone? 

So, yeahh, given that A.) it's Rarity and B.) the dude was a mega-jerk about it, her freakout was justified :D

• Brohoof 6

Another Rarity (and Spike) episode!

I enjoyed this a lot. While it's nowhere near Rarity Takes Manehattan or even Simple Ways tier, it's still an episode of fun, hilarious Rarity antics. Always good to see my favorite pony hamming it up like she does best.

Spike was cool here too; Definitely one of his better outings.

@@ghostfacekiller39, I disagree. Unless that pony was some sort of ultra important puppeteer whose opinion could ruin her career over something that isn't even her profession, then her reaction is exaggerated.

And I've been told enough times that I suck to be able to take it as an adult. Specially if it's just some dude with a bad attitude telling me I suck at something and I know I did a good a job.

@@ghostfacekiller39, I disagree. Unless that pony was some sort of ultra important puppeteer whose opinion could ruin her career over something that isn't even her profession, then her reaction is exaggerated.

And I've been told enough times that I suck to be able to take it as an adult. Specially if it's just some dude with a bad attitude telling me I suck at something and I know I did a good a job.

It's Rarity. Being a drama queen is part of her character. 

• Brohoof 1

I know it is. And I like it. But this time, it left a bad taste in my mouth because I thought it was forced.

You do realize that it really wasn't horribly different than every other time, right? 

She overreacts like this; she's overreacted to much more trivial matters than getting insulted and berated for trying to do something kind.

So, in comparison to the other times she flipped out, how was this forced? It was an integral part of the storyline, actually. 

If she wasn't so hurt by that guy's words, then Spike never would've took upon himself to help her. If he didn't do that, he never would've found the book, and if he never found the book, Rarity wouldn't have been possessed by dark magic...

...pray tell, if she didn't freak out like she did, then we wouldn't even have a premise for this episode.

It wasn't "forced" at all :D It set the whole plot in motion, actually :D