S04:E23 - Inspiration Manifestation  

256 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I loved it! <3

No matter how many times I watch this, I feel it was incredibly "meh". Namely, the whole plot sort of went out with a wimper, namely because there were no consequences for Spike and Rarity's actions beyond Twilight being incredibly ticked and tuckered out after fixing their mess. And while Rarity gorging on ice cream was a funny sight, her meltdown as a whole falls short when compared to every other meltdown she's had. I adore Tabitha, but here she sounded like she had an off-day, like Tara in "It's About Time" (please tell me someone else noticed she sounded kinda froggy back then).

@@ghostfacekiller39, I disagree. Unless that pony was some sort of ultra important puppeteer whose opinion could ruin her career over something that isn't even her profession, then her reaction is exaggerated.

And I've been told enough times that I suck to be able to take it as an adult. Specially if it's just some dude with a bad attitude telling me I suck at something and I know I did a good a job.

But has the criticism you've received included getting the stink-eye from creepy puppets before? I think not :P

• Brohoof 3

I'm gonna skip over what everyone else is saying so I can post my opinion without it being colored by the analysis of others:

"Yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,no,yes!"

I liked this episode. Crazy possessed Rarity is best Rarity...and scarily reminded me of the way some people get when they're on [this part of the review has been censored by poster in lieu of site rules] but thankfully I don't live that kind of life anymore.

Oh Rarity, you sad fatty McFatterson. Eat all the ice cream! Hahaha!

One of the best parts imo. You know what else is great? They didn't waste a whole lot of time with any exposition! Problem presented, Rarity eats ice cream, problem worsened, Rarity goes crazy, filler, resolution, end.

Sadly it was kinda predictable, but which one of these shows really isn't? I haven't seen an episode yet, that I haven't predicted in some way or form, so it doesn't bother me that much. Twists that do happen, just don't surprise me.

It was pretty funny. Spike wasn't completely obnoxious. Some things were a little to convenient. I don't care. I liked this episode.

But honestly, if I was in Twilight's hooves, I'd whoop Spike's ass and make him sit in time out.

• Brohoof 1

But has the criticism you've received included getting the stink-eye from creepy puppets before? I think not :P

Well, I once had a cuban teacher that couldn't barely speak portuguese (lecturing at an university in Brazil) trying to explain to me why is it that my suture in the mouse's stomach was bad while pointing at me with a dead mouse but no creepy puppets! My god! Poor Rarity!  :lol:

This new episode can be scary! I mean, just look at this picture from the episode

mlp_-_inspiration_manifestion_4221.jpg

(Hello Nightmare Fuel!)

to this from the big Reveal in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

640px-Judge-Doom-Toon-Form.jpg

(Ahhh! Bad Childhood Nightmares returning! *Zips far away!*)

• Brohoof 5

I loved this episode. Rarity and her inspiration... I'm an artist and I sympathize with her soooo much!

And Twilight loosing her mind in the end.

geez...

I want to see that happen more often.

This new episode can be scary! I mean, just look at this picture from the episode

mlp_-_inspiration_manifestion_4221.jpg

(Hello Nightmare Fuel!)

to this from the big Reveal in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

640px-Judge-Doom-Toon-Form.jpg

(Ahhh! Bad Childhood Nightmares returning! *Zips far away!*)

I was either thinking that or the evil book that controlled Nicholas from the Care Bears Movie.

• Brohoof 1

She overreacts like this; she's overreacted to much more trivial matters than getting insulted and berated for trying to do something kind.

Let's talk about examples. This wasn't comic relief, or anything. It was a plot point. And I can't pull out of my head another example of this. Well, If anything, she took "Cadance's" criticism of her dress very nicely. Now, it's a "nopony" that is clearly a jerk, and it's criticizing something of which she was proud before. And it goes back to my other complaint about this: did she know what she was supposed to do? It's never clarified in the episode how did she accept this job. It felt like the guy just told her some very vague description and she did the best she could and when it didn't meet his expectations, he acted like he did. Rarity should know that it's his fault, and not hers. Because I think that Rarity is competent enough to, for example, make something in the right dimensions. I'm assuming that she didn't know what needed to be done because one of the pony's complaints is precisely that there is no room for his puppets. I'm not convinced that Rarity's reaction is warranted because I don't see that she failed somehow.

If she wasn't so hurt by that guy's words, then Spike never would've took upon himself to help her. If he didn't do that, he never would've found the book, and if he never found the book, Rarity wouldn't have been possessed by dark magic...   ...pray tell, if she didn't freak out like she did, then we wouldn't even have a premise for this episode. It wasn't "forced" at all It set the whole plot in motion, actually

I can live with contrivances that exist to allow the story to happen, which is why I don't HATE the episode. I watch every episode expecting to like it, at the least, but when this is done, this needs to be convincing. For example, Discord's vines just snatched the two princesses in Princess Twilight Sparkle. That's a good excuse to take the princesses out of the action so that Twilight and her friends can solve the problem. That isn't so forced as making Rarity overreact over something that she shouldn't think it's her fault to begin with.

"*standing ovation* Give this dragon a huge round of applause. This episode is a gold plated masterpiece. Well done Spike."

It seems it was only a few days ago that I wrote a entry on my blog (link) and going into bat for Spike, even though he isn't my favourite character, but all he wanted was a fair go for the little dragon who has been through so much this season, yet he was given so little in return.

This episode delivered on that and much more, even if you block out the things that he went through this season including being kicked to the curb, being the victim of a joke where he makes plenty of food for a large crowd and then it goes to waste and being the primary blame point for the breezies being knocked off course without any evidence to prove the crime.

The Rarity and Spike combination worked well as always, especially when it came to the opening scenes of the episode where she ran away from Spike after the idea of her puppeteers box being knocked back and a being in tears with a flood of negative thoughts clouding her mind.

Rarity's ice cream binge session was another bit of the episode that I couldn't resist feeling sorry and sympathetic towards her. All of that good, sold hard work gone to waste and even though she could have contributed something else to the fair, she instead started to binge on 13 tubs ice cream as an escape point.

I couldn't resist making this tweet during that scene:

"Streets Blue Ribbon ice cream, the choice of pony fashionista's across Equestria."

The rest of the episode was a wall to wall fest of hijinks, action and emotion fueled scenes, especially when Rarity went on a trip around town and decided to put the spell to good use before things started to go wrong.

Although my initial thoughts on the episode that I wrote above isn't much to read up on, the usual episode writeup on my blog if anyone is interested provides a little more detail and also goes in depth on a few more topics that I couldn't fit here:
http://www.fromtheex...asterpiece.html

• Brohoof 1

Howdy folks!

Saw the episode on HUBworld and gotta say it was pretty good.

We see another Rarity breakdown and her Spikey Wikey tries to help her out but with good and bad results.

In a way this episode reminded me of Magic Duel.

With a mix of Lesson Zero (Rarity going bonkers instead of Twilight)

Trixie got the Alicorn Amulet and she became a ruthless tyrant.

With the spell book Spike gave her it took control over her mind.

But Spike was the only one that can cure the spell.

Owlilicious popping Spike with an acorn on the head was :lol:

If you listen closely to the dog growl Rarity did its from Bandit from the classic 60s animated series Jonny Quest.

(Gotta like DHX taking classic SFX from past animated shows from HB & WB)

Liked the VA for the Puppeteer with the WC Fields type voice.

Give props to Corey Powell & Meghan McCarthy for a good episode.

Notthing like Rarity Takes Manehattan or Simple Ways.

But its good overall for more of the Fashonista this season.

See ya!

Voted, that I love it!

I like evil and selfish Rarity better than regular Rarity.

And man,those green eyes were epic!!

9/10 (Loses a point for Rarity being a drama queen in the beginning.)

This episode really put me through hell...I was scared the whole time.

I HATED seeing Rarity like that. I HATED it. HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED!!!!!!

This was Sonic Rainboom Tier on the portrayal for a good while...I was so scared...my knees feel sort of weak...

It wasn't her doing that, though, so don't you dare forget that much. She was under the influence of dark magic.

I'll give it an "Ok," by the way.

Oh come on,Ghosty. You know you loved seeing Rarity act like a selfish villain.  :squee:

Edited by Dr. Patson
  • Brohoof 2

YES!

Rarity mental breakdown! There's just something so enjoyable about watching that pony go nuts, I don't know what it is xD

Haha! Rarity drowning her sorrows in gallons of ice cream is also so adorable :D

I'm clearly biased since i love Rarity, and pretty much any episode that has her being a drama queen is a good episode.

And Spike was great in this episode, although it took him a bit too long to make things right again. 

Speaking of mad ponies..Pissed off Twilight is DEFINITELY best Twilight.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

At the very end, Twilight says "Princess Luna and Candance" what about Celestia? Being lazy again i assume >.>

Well considering that somepony has to still run, oh, ya know, Equestria's state affairs, I'd say that it was quite generous of the alicorn royalty to spare three of their own as it is for little ol' Ponyville (especially Cadance, considering she's got her own kingdom to run).  Just saying.  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

Well considering that somepony has to still run, oh, ya know, Equestria's state affairs, I'd say that it was quite generous of the alicorn royalty to spare three of their own as it is for little ol' Ponyville (especially Cadance, considering she's got her own kingdom to run).  Just saying.  :comeatus:

Candance has Shining Armor >.> Celestia rarely does anything other than stay in canterlot, well most the time.. i still think Tia needs more screen time >.>

• Brohoof 1

Candance has Shining Armor >.> Celestia rarely does anything other than stay in canterlot, well most the time.. i still think Tia needs more screen time >.>

Oh I certainly think Celestia needs more screen time as well, no disagreement there (especially given how long this season has been.  Last season it was more excusable, seeing as it was only 13 episodes long, but this season?  She should've shown up more than she has, that's for sure, though I'm guessing she'll show up next week).  Anyways, I was just pointing out that it made perfect sense that at least one of the alicorns, especially Celestia, who's used to running things on her own, would stay behind in Canterlot while the rest were simply taking care of a clean up job.  But good job pointing out that Shining Armor could run things in the Empire while Cadance was away, it actually makes more sense now that she was able to go to Ponyville without inconveniencing her own kingdom.  :)

Loved this episode, and it had yet another great message(s). But I'm still wondering about one thing.

What happened to the book Spike swallowed?

Yeah, I wondered about that too... perhaps in the future it will have some negative reprecussions? Only time will tell. :wacko:

Also, this season has went from Spike(and the rest) going inside of a book to him having one go inside of him. Think about that for a second. :lol:

• Brohoof 5