1. 1. Pick a flaw from the episode

• Mean spirited humor
    • The Flim Flam Brothers
    • The song
    • Character Behavior
    • "I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING!"
    • Other (explain)

(edited)

Guess I'll try this pick a flaw stuff with an episode that hasn't aged too well with me, Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000. This one seems to be a mixed episode so we should get some interesting discussion.

My flaw is the is a combination between the mean spirited humor and the ooc behavior specifically from Pinkie. She was acting like a big hypocrite and, well just look at this 

post-4053-0-55300900-1398907047_thumb.jpg

Also the unfunny gag of Rainbow Dash not getting any cider. I mean come on, she didn't even do anything bad so why are they torturing her especially when Pinkie brags about how she has cider, wow this one of Pinkie's worst characterization next to Filli Vanilli.

Allowing multiple votes in case someone REALLY hates this episode.

So discuss away!

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

I would say that the Flim Flam brothers just barges into Ponyville, destroys the trees and they runs the Apple famliy out. Pretty surpised that no one said anything about it.

I'm pretty sure I can think of worse flaws, but I picked the Flim Flam Bros anyway. They suck

(edited)

The mean-spirited humor wasn't funny to me at all, it just felt like it was almost intended. Plus, Apple Bloom and Granny Smith buried their own grave when they were adding more to the competition. Don't know about AJ though.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

Like what other flaws I was really only using the most criticized flaws.

The stupidity of the Apple Family(particularly AJ) for starters, the deal with FF wasn't really bad at all, especially with how poorly they were meeting demands with the cider, but they were being too damn stubborn, and nearly lost the farm in competition that was unnecessasry to begin with(arguably winning by luck). The fact that AJ says she didn't learn everything seals the deal.

Of course the episode was also a little mean in some ways too, but I don't find it as big of a problem as most people think

• Brohoof 1

The stupidity of the Apple Family(particularly AJ) for starters, the deal with FF wasn't really bad at all, especially with how poorly they were meeting demands with the cider, but they were being too damn stubborn, and nearly lost the farm in competition that was unnecessasry to begin with(arguably winning by luck). The fact that AJ says she didn't learn everything seals the deal.

Of course the episode was also a little mean in some ways too, but I don't find it as big of a problem as most people think

I was thinking of adding that one when I was making then I thought "I'll just merge it with character behavior."

Okay I don't out right hate the episode, there's just more flaws to it than I remembered.

(edited)

By Celestia, this is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series.  It was one of its funniest (and I respectfully disagree on Rainbow Dash not getting any cider not being funny), the song is among the show's greats, it provided a relatively fair depiction of the capitalist system for both 1) episodes with similar plots and 2) for children's shows in general, and the real moral (not letting pride get in the way of competition) was superbly developed.

Other than the Luddite overtones and the botched moral (esp. the obvious falsehood of "I didn't learn anything") I didn't find any major flaws to speak of.

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer

(edited)

Wow.... To borrow a line from another reviewer who pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with this episode:

WHERE DO I BEGIN?!

This is my least favorite episode of the entire series, and the only one I really would put in a "strong dislike" category. Click on the link icon in the upper right corner of Tails_155's quote up there and go read his complete review in the S2 episodes section for the excellent explanation as to why what everyone does here is totally wrong. My summary of complaints is very similar:

• Almost everyone is acting stupid:
    • Why is the Apple family not limiting the sales to 2 mugs per customer, especially since the shortages have happened year after year? They're only creating unhappy patrons in the process!
    • Why would you risk your farm for some lousy contest? OK, fine, let's say the Apples are too proud and F&F conned them and I'll give them that as a major character flaw for AJ, just for the sake of having something to kick the plot into gear. But then comes the bigger problem - how did the rights to selling cider suddenly turn into them having to GIVE UP the entire farm? That wasn't the deal they agreed to with F&F. There is some implication that if they can't sell cider, they can't make enough money to run the farm. But we've seen time and time again the Apples are good at making ALL SORTS of other apple products, right from the very first episode! Argh, this issue in particular is what bothers me the most.... :angry:
    • Why would you allow F&F to mine your trees for resources? Fine, let's again say pride. But once again, no where in the deal did it say they had to give up said trees if they lost the contest. If I was AJ, after F&F won I simply would have said, "Fine, you won. You can make all the cider you want. You'll have to buy apples from us (at an increased price, BTW) or ship them from Appleloosa or wherever. Good luck keeping your cider price low enough to attract enough customers to use up the finished product from your machine before it spoils!" :comeatus:
    • Applebloom, I love ya, but please... Sometimes, just -- be quiet and don't boast. >_>
    • Flim and Flam couldn't even seal the deal because they were too stupid or lazy to pull a barrel from the bottom of the pile to give to customers. Maybe they believed sucking in entire trees and dirt wouldn't change the taste of the cider, but if that's the case, they really are stupid! (Or maybe they think the citizens of Ponyville are even stupider to know what good cider tastes like? :lol: )
  • Pinkie is evil: This was the first episode that really made me briefly dislike Pinkie Pie. I've said it before - for a pony who wants to see everyone smile, she has an uncanny way of really making ponies feel bad sometimes. >_> Fortunately, she (and AJ) both redeemed themselves in later seasons so once again all of the Mane 6 are mostly at the same level of favoritism with me these days. (Though Twilight is still slightly ahead due to her bookwormish nature! :) )
  • The moral: It was LOL funny that AJ didn't learn a thing, so its not a big problem for me, but it is sad that she didn't say she at least learned to not be so prideful as to jeopardize their way of life.

On the plus side, the song is awesome, so sometimes when the episode is on I'll watch it up through the song and then bail. :lol: Also nice to see the Mane 6 working together with AJ not being as stubborn as she was in "Applebuck Season."

Edited by TruffleShuffle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

This episode is almost flawless. The cider competition could have been better I guess, so I voted "others"...

I hope nobody will vote The song, it's one of the best songs of the show. :blink:

Edited by Blobulle

(edited)

I think Pinkie was more an ass here than in Filli Vanilli, because at least in that one it was clearly unintentional, and she shows remorse for her actions. In SSCS6000 she knew Rainbow Dash wanted cider and that there was a limited supply, so wht does she do? She takes a lot of cider, preventing Rainbow from getting any, and she then proceeds to tell her how great it tasted. Why would she do that?

Edited by Dry Colt
  • Brohoof 1

The Flim-Flam brother's song dragged on way too long for my tastes. It just kept going and going and gong and going long passed when it should have ended. 

(edited)

I don't understand people, who pick "I didn't learn anything'' as a flaw and it's one of these complaints about show I probably won't understand. I get the impression that people simply didn't understand the joke. Also, I honestly don't think that AJ REALLY send a letter like that to Celestia (after all, we didn't see her writing it).

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 1