Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nuclear Weapons Are Detonated In Equestria

GXPBlast

@,

Magic isn't going to cure radiation poisening, at least not easy enough to save their lives. No character in the show has shown any ability to remove poisen from anyone, except for Zecora. Unless they kept her alive, they're pretty much all dead (save Discord). And even, for some reason, they DID survive, like I said before, only 12 nukes can ruin Earth, so its safe to say that 12 or so could make Equestria a frozen wasteland.

Actually, it'll take more than 12, if you're talking about the average nuke around 200 KT to 10 MT. 12 nukes might ruin a country like the US, however, if they were all aimed at high population areas, and affect the economy world wide.

@,Not to mention that even then as i said it'd take the humans some time to make them... you don't just produce a nuke without the whole world knowing you produced a nuke. 

(edited)

I don't think humans would be manufacturing nukes in eqestria and even if they were it would be a dumb idea. I am not even sure the equestrian planet has the matierials required to make nukes. Plus there are over 20k warheads estamated on earth alone with thousands stockpiled in the higher 50 megaton range that is probably considered secret to the public with the US and Russia having the bulk. So they would just use those.

Edited by GXPBlast

I don't think humans would be manufacturing nukes in eqestria and even if they were it would be a dumb idea.
I never said they would create them ther and of course it would be a dumb idea. But the thing is that using a nuke doesn't come without consequences. One nation cannot simply decide to use nukes on another nation without incuring the wrath of it's allies or attracting the attention of it's enemies. Since Russia and America are not exactly the best friends the one tossing the nukes would likely incur the wrath of the others and likely incur the wrath of other nations. This scenario of yours would require the whole of humanity to be united on this cause or at least in government level. You say "humans" when you say who will launch the nuke but you forget how much divided we are... 

I doubt this would happen and i doubt that the one who launched the nukes wouldn't be swarmed by the other nations as a punishment for this. Even America's or Russia's influence is not total over the world. You cannot simply choose to open war as a nation without knowing that your attempts will incur enemies... nations surrounding you will no longer choose to be idle while you wage war to one of their neighbours.

Should this happen as i said the nation who does this will find the whole world against it. Likely there should be a legitimate threat from the Equestrian side for this to happen. None chooses nukes as a first war option... Equestria is unlikely to choose to meddle with human affairs or even challenge the authority of their governments.  

Hey, that's what I told them...

And you forgot about the zebras.

The ponies were right all along when they felt sceptical about the zebras. Although if I recall zecora was a double agent in that series. Also we never find out who the leader of the zebras are in the series as well unless I missed something when reading it.

As i said above... you define magic wrongly and thus magic could indeed work.

It's rather difficult to define magic wrongly unless the definition somehow contradicts itself or is directly contradicted by canon in this show.  And while it is possible to decide advanced technology too complicated to understand is "magic," even (non canon) characters like Star Swirl the Bearded, who probably knows more about magic than anyone else, also calls it magic.

Nobody seems to indicate it is any kind of technology.

I suppose there could be some hidden source of energy that preserves conservation principles, but nobody has referenced it.

Without such a thing, though, magic as portrayed breaks the laws of physics, and pretty fundamental ones at that.

@@ZhortacHowever... You are assuming that Equestria is a planet similar size to the Earth... thats simply an assumption. Also don't judge it's size by the size of the Equestrian country of what you have seen right now... 

It's actually even an assumption that Equestria is a planet at all, rather than a pocket dimension or some other entirely different thing.

It's actually even an assumption that Equestria is a planet at all, rather than a pocket dimension or some other entirely different thing.

It has an orbiting satalite, it's a planet.

Nobody seems to indicate it is any kind of technology.
That is because to them magic has actually taken the place of technology. Magic IS their technology. It is something they research, something they advance and something they study. It has rules, regulations, it can be measured and counted... 

I suppose there could be some hidden source of energy that preserves conservation principles, but nobody has referenced it.   Without such a thing, though, magic as portrayed breaks the laws of physics, and pretty fundamental ones at that.
Simply because they haven't referenced it doesn't mean it is like you say. You are doing the same mistake you are trying to make me avoid. You are saying that "What you say is not true... thus what i say is true." Arguements don't work like that... there is as much value for example in proving something exists as much there is in proving that something doesn't. Think of what Xenophilious Lovegood and Hermione in Harry Potter talked about in the book. 

"Prove to me that the ressurection stone doesn't exist."

"But that's stupid! You can't expect me to pick up every stone and try it out?"

See? You inability to accurately define magic affects your perception of it. Magic is a tool and one that can be used and tapped into as it is shown in the show. You simply do not cast magic because you want to... it takes effort... thus you need to view it like a machine... like a lever that i need to push hard enough in order for it to work. There are enhancers of it like the Alicorn amulet and Tirek has recently shown that magic can be drained... thus it is energy...

Now this is your headcanon and i doubt you have something to prove this. Look in the comics it has been shown that the moon and the sun are actually Celestial objects ((Look Nightmare Rarity comic book)) and likely we are in a solar system rather than simply a flat disc. That would be absurd. 

(edited)

@,Not to mention that even then as i said it'd take the humans some time to make them... you don't just produce a nuke without the whole world knowing you produced a nuke. 

I don't think humans would be manufacturing nukes in eqestria and even if they were it would be a dumb idea. I am not even sure the equestrian planet has the matierials required to make nukes. Plus there are over 20k warheads estamated on earth alone with thousands stockpiled in the higher 50 megaton range that is probably considered secret to the public with the US and Russia having the bulk. So they would just use those.

We DO have the capability to build over 50 megaton bombs (that's the record for the strongest nuke in the world – Czar Bomba), though most of the nuclear powers don't really have a reason to build one. Global interdependence had pretty much made nuke creating irrelevant.

Plus, you can't build a few "thousand" >50 MT nukes. That's going to cost a ridiculous amount of resources that might pretty much use up the country's money. Heck, even building a 50 kiloton bomb is going to cost billions of US dollars' worth. You can't deny that the US and USSR still have tens of thousands of nukes left over from the arms race (thankfully, most of them are deactivated), but the whole thing amounted up to the trillions just for the US/USSR to prove each other that they're superior. 

If you REALLY want to destroy the US, you'll need to realize that the blast radius of nukes honestly aren't very big. They would have to target the 71 most populated cities, from New York to El Paso to Toledo. It would probably take around 5,000 or so megatons to level most of the US...and the work isn't very clean, either. Probably half of the population would survive, and the nuclear fallout usually goes where the wind goes, so it won't literally cover every square mile of the US, either. Still, that's more than enough to completely cripple the country, since medical units won't even be able to save a small fraction of the causalities, a good deal of people are going to develop diseases and radiation sickness. The EMP blast would probably wipe out most electronics, too.

People overestimate the power of the nuclear bomb (doesn't make it less destructive, however). Most former nuclear scientists believed that a few nuclear bombs is enough to level the Earth...which is a myth, since you do have to realize that the power isn't distributed evenly across the land (as in piece of explosive covering the surface) and is concentrated within an area. 

Megaton bombs aren't really created as much during the arms race because 1) while it is more destructive physically, the nuclear fallout isn't going to be spread much more than kiloton bombs due to more of the energy being absorbed into the atmosphere 2) it costs more. Megaton bombs were actually meant to target specific military targets and level it to the ground, while kiloton bombs were meant to just cause as much economic and population damage as possible. 

Another lesser myth is that ground zero bombs are more powerful than air burst bombs. Not really the case; again, while ground zero bombs would cause more physical destruction, air burst bombs spread out more energy than ground zero bombs (where about half of the blast "obstructed" from the surface).

Repeat: People overestimate nuclear bombs, though they are still very deadly. They might not destroy the whole world (at least 53 quadrillion megatons are needed a.k.a. something bigger than Mars needs to smash into the Earth), but they can certainly cause hundreds of millions of causalities that would make WWII look like small fry. Furthermore, the world is done with nuclear bombs (except for North Korea).

(EDIT: And nuclear winter is highly controversial. Personally, I don't think it would happen; nuclear fallout are different from your regular clouds, and they don't stay forever.)

Edited by Late Suri Polomare
  • Brohoof 2

That is because to them magic has actually taken the place of technology. Magic IS their technology. It is something they research, something they advance and something they study. It has rules, regulations, it can be measured and counted... 

. . .

Now this is your headcanon and i doubt you have something to prove this. Look in the comics it has been shown that the moon and the sun are actually Celestial objects ((Look Nightmare Rarity comic book)) and likely we are in a solar system rather than simply a flat disc. That would be absurd. 

Using magic as technology means it is magic, replacing the function that ordinarily would be achieved through technology.  The common saying about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic generally refers to some more primitive society incorrectly viewing technology as magic.  In this case, the people who discovered and use magic consider it just that, magic.

Also, the comics aren't canon.  Thanks for the pointer, though.  It's slightly more "privileged" than my opinion, I suppose.

That is your headcanon... doesn't mean that magic is Equestria based. Also despite the ponies not being well versed in destruction they are not without their own wars, battles, and violence. Creatures like Cerberus exist and Hydras and more... if those were controlled by ponies which is mighty possible... they might just be able to fight back. Besides magic is by far more powerful than technology. Mastering the power of magic to move the sun and the moon? This is clearly more powerful than a nuke.

Considering none of us know the strength of their magic, it is all contemplation anyway, all I'm saying is that I think a heavily nuked equestria could not muster a force powerful enough to successfully attack humanity head on
  • Brohoof 1

The common saying about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic generally refers to some more primitive society incorrectly viewing technology as magic.
Now you're getting it! Humans are too... primitive per say in terms of magic... they cannot understand it's function they cannot explain it thus they fear what they cannot understand. It doesn't have to nessecarily break the laws of physics to function...

Also, the comics aren't canon.
The official stance is "They are canon if you want them to be." Regardless this doesn't mean Equestria is a pocket dimension...  

Considering none of us know the strength of their magic, it is all contemplation anyway, all I'm saying is that I think a heavily nuked equestria could not muster a force powerful enough to successfully attack humanity head on

Not instantly that's for sure but they could muster enough to defend themselves maybe or to hide themselves for enough time to be able to muster all of it. Likely magic can't be simply "destroyed" thus the magic of Luna Celestia and Cadence would go to someone else, someone who would be able to claim it be it villain or good guy. The one with that power would be EXTREMELY powerful as Twilight showed against Tirek.

@nioniosbbbb

That may be true, if humanity gave them the time to recouperate, if we nuked them, I'm sure we'd go after to finish the job we started. ( for whatever reason this topic states )

• Brohoof 1

If Humans were to invade Equestria and fire a nucelar warhead at a non violent world, where there is already peace and harmony.

It will just be more reason for me to hate Humanity even more.

(edited)

That may be true, if humanity gave them the time to recouperate, if we nuked them, I'm sure we'd go after to finish the job we started. ( for whatever reason this topic states )

The only being that has any chance in this fight is Discord if he had an idea where the warheads are to turn them into whatever he pleases maybe cartons of chocolate milk or pie.

But in the event as I said in this scenario where the warheads are already detonated its a matter of if the ponies of Discords bodies themselves are durable to withstand a nuclear blast.

I agree with you as in there is no way their bodies are durable enough to survive millions of degrees, winds in the thousands MPH range, and killer radiation.

Your going to have people that think otherwise no matter what you say so its really no point in debating them vise versa. They may try to make you feel inferior by saying your wrong and your point is illogical but in fact its just their opinion to.  Until its seen in the show itself its all speculation. Its not only in MLP its really with any show where VS debates occur.

Although I really do enjoy seeing new people respond as it seems that when a debate gets going the same people will go at for multiple pages with no minds being changed. Also there is that "having to feel like they won" complex by getting the last word in despite not changing anyone's opinion but just going in circles.

But to each their own.

Edited by GXPBlast

• 3 months later...

If the attack is a completely unexpected and well-executed surprise, then Canterlot could be effectively wiped out. It's doubtful the the ponies would know how to deal with fallout or even know what it is since they never knew a nuke as our world sees it (the Atomic Rainbomb is different -- it didn't kill anypony, it just leveled a building, and it was more a visual gag than actually necessary). They can't be expecting it, or else their countermeasures may become too powerful.

I have to take into account teleportation magic as a countermeasure, but the exact extent of it is unknown. Twilight has been shown to only teleport short distances, so hers alone is ineffective. The other three have rarely, if ever shown this power, so the exact extent of theirs is unknown as well. If the attack were executed with precision and as a surprise, barring any strikes beforehand that would force Canterlot on alert, they would most likely have little chance at surviving as there wouldn't be enough time to pool all of their power.

With the four most powerful ponies in Equestria down, the next logical thing would be to nuke or carpet bomb other major centers such as Manehattan, the Crystal Empire, and Ponyville (because of its location of Twilight's castle) at about the same time to force the remainder of Equestria into submission, since almost everypony left has only very specific powers that wouldn't be very effective.

On the other hand, Discord is a complete variable. He has more power than almost anything else in Equestria, and taking him down wouldn't be easy. His magic would need to be studied and a good countermeasure would need to be created. The exact extent of his magical power is unknown, but it is definitely huge. I think the only thing that could take him down could possibly be an energy weapon created from reverse-engineering Discord's powers, or possibly those of Tirek if it is possible for invading forces to take control of Equestrian magic and open the portal to Tartarus.

With a snap of his fingers, Discord turns the nukes immediately into clouds of pink marshmallows.

However, Gozar suddenly appears out of nowhere, and with her cheap costume and extremely short vocal cords, chants a spell and transforms the marshmallow clouds into the infamous stay puft marshmallow man, except this time, the behemoth is taller, bigger, pinker. Gozar then disappears into thin air with extremely faked villainous laughs. Discord, unable to use his chaotic magic to defeat the pink giant of death and puffiness, calls upon the Ghostbusters.

To be continued.

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Added note: I suddenly felt like watching the Ghostbusters, since this year is its 30th year anniversary. So don't get all critical on me k?

Edited by Solid Scorpion

With a snap of his fingers, Discord turns the nukes immediately into clouds of pink marshmallows.

However, Gozar suddenly appears out of nowhere, and with her cheap costume and extremely short vocal cords, chants a spell and transforms the marshmallow clouds into the infamous stay puft marshmallow man, except this time, the behemoth is taller, bigger, pinker. Gozar then disappears into thin air with extremely faked villainous laughs. Discord, unable to use his chaotic magic to defeat the pink giant of death and puffiness, calls upon the Ghostbusters.

To be continued.

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Added note: I suddenly felt like watching the Ghostbusters, since this year is its 30th year anniversary. So don't get all critical on me k?

If the attack is a completely unexpected and well-executed surprise, then Canterlot could be effectively wiped out. It's doubtful the the ponies would know how to deal with fallout or even know what it is since they never knew a nuke as our world sees it (the Atomic Rainbomb is different -- it didn't kill anypony, it just leveled a building, and it was more a visual gag than actually necessary). They can't be expecting it, or else their countermeasures may become too powerful.

I have to take into account teleportation magic as a countermeasure, but the exact extent of it is unknown. Twilight has been shown to only teleport short distances, so hers alone is ineffective. The other three have rarely, if ever shown this power, so the exact extent of theirs is unknown as well. If the attack were executed with precision and as a surprise, barring any strikes beforehand that would force Canterlot on alert, they would most likely have little chance at surviving as there wouldn't be enough time to pool all of their power.

With the four most powerful ponies in Equestria down, the next logical thing would be to nuke or carpet bomb other major centers such as Manehattan, the Crystal Empire, and Ponyville (because of its location of Twilight's castle) at about the same time to force the remainder of Equestria into submission, since almost everypony left has only very specific powers that wouldn't be very effective.

On the other hand, Discord is a complete variable. He has more power than almost anything else in Equestria, and taking him down wouldn't be easy. His magic would need to be studied and a good countermeasure would need to be created. The exact extent of his magical power is unknown, but it is definitely huge. I think the only thing that could take him down could possibly be an energy weapon created from reverse-engineering Discord's powers, or possibly those of Tirek if it is possible for invading forces to take control of Equestrian magic and open the portal to Tartarus.

Discord dies if caught off guard or humans create some sort or magic absorbing coating for the bombs that blocks magic. Assuming they go by this scenario, humans are going in prepared. If not Discord will just turn everyone into the droplets that come out of the clouds for his chocolate milk.

If that is the case and humans successfully detonate a bomb I thin Discords body itself would vaporize as I have yet to see him or any pony in the show deal with the immense heat, speed, radioactivity, and pressure of a nuclear bomb which probaly will never happen due to the nature of the show.

Edited by GXPBlast