Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Discord betray the Mane 6?

Luurilka

I know Tirek convinced him to do it so he could be free, but doesn't it seem OOC? I thought Discord was truly reformed...

• Brohoof 3

I honestly thought that the original reformation process was a little weak. Now, though, I'm sure he's truly reformed.

I'm pretty sure that he just thought Tirek was making a good deal. I mean, he does like ruling Equestria.

• Brohoof 11

I honestly thought that the original reformation process was a little weak. Now, though, I'm sure he's truly reformed.

I'm pretty sure that he just thought Tirek was making a good deal. I mean, he does like ruling Equestria.

It's just, when he captured the mane 6, he showed no guilt or regret whatsoever. It was as if he didn't care for the mane 6 at all.

Also, why would he be reformed now? 

Same reasons Judas had to betray Jesus.

Discord knew he had to do it, even though he didn't like it.

Had to? Why couldn't he of just refused?

• Brohoof 1

Discord knew he had to do it, even though he didn't like it.

He didn't "have to do it". He could have captured Tirek on the spot, but instead chose to betray his friends by believing Tirek's lie. Even after capturing the ponies and Fluttershy crying, he still didn't care and still wanted to continue on with the plan to take over the land. Only after he himself was betrayed and had all of his powers drained did he realize what he had done.

It really ruined the episode for me. It was very out of character. He already learned his lesson several times now.

• Brohoof 2

To be fair it was kind of a star wars vibe well to me anyway.  "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy."  he used Discords own disires against him.  though the whole double cross was so oviously going to happen.  It not sure about how to react to his reform thing.  Oh yeah he goofed around but...yeah still he should have seen detrail coming esh

It's just, when he captured the mane 6, he showed no guilt or regret whatsoever. It was as if he didn't care for the mane 6 at all.

Had to? Why couldn't he of just refused?

Well mind you that this is just an interpretation, drawing parallels with the whole gospel of Judas thing.

With Discord, he has always shown that he has a plan within a plan. I don't seriously think he was that naive. Also, he has shown that he is an extremely good actor. Discord was simply playing a role, and throughout that role we do see instances of guilt.

Now for the whole "He didn't have to do it" part.

What if he didn't? What if he captured Tirek and did his job like he was told?

Everything would be fine and dandy, but Twilight still wouldn't have gotten her key. There is still the possibility in a world like Equestria that an even greater evil is out there. There always is. Discord saw the problem with Twilight, bookmarked the parts in the book she needed to put the pieces together and capitalized on Tirek's return to accelerate the process of unlocking the box.

Discord has his ways of doing things. It's part of his nature. He knows he is the only one he can take a fall from grace like that. Everyone would expect it from him. He's Discord.

It was a perfect plan...except it meant betraying his friends.

It really ruined the episode for me. It was very out of character. He already learned his lesson several times now.

Discord? OOC? He's chaos.

In character, out of character and notions of character, don't apply to the master of plans within plans.

• Brohoof 6

Because he thought Fluttershy was best pony, but it turned out, Rarity was best pony, and he couldn't live with his sins.

Or, Tirek just was an extremely good puppeteer as well as Discord wasn't truly reformed. Judging by his actions after the matter, though, he seems to be *truly* reformed this time.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

[This post is hidden. No offense to anyone, but I am no longer part of the community and no longer wish to be an (active) part of the forums. I treasure the friendships I made along the way. Thank you!]

Edited by CadetGrey
  • Brohoof 3

Discord was foolish and power hungry. He forgot about "Keep Calm and Flutter On".

Because he thought Fluttershy was best pony, but it turned out, Rarity was best pony, and he couldn't live with his sins.

:okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 4

As strong and sarcastic he seems, I think that Discord is actually quite insecure, especially when it comes to friendship. No one ever cared about him before, so he has a hard time believing they do now.

When Tirek promised him power and the freedom to do what he wanted, well, for Discord, that's a very strong temptation.

As you can see throughout the episode, he feels guilty quite often, and seems to be wondering if what he did was worth it, especially when he sees how violent Tirek is.

Discord was manipulated and he knows it. He may not have truly believed the ponies before, but he now knows that they are the ones who will never betray him. In my opinion, this was his true reformation episode.

• Brohoof 10

Well mind you that this is just an interpretation, drawing parallels with the whole gospel of Judas thing.

With Discord, he has always shown that he has a plan within a plan. I don't seriously think he was that naive. Also, he has shown that he is an extremely good actor. Discord was simply playing a role, and throughout that role we do see instances of guilt.

Now for the whole "He didn't have to do it" part.

What if he didn't? What if he captured Tirek and did his job like he was told?

Everything would be fine and dandy, but Twilight still wouldn't have gotten her key. There is still the possibility in a world like Equestria that an even greater evil is out there. There always is. Discord saw the problem with Twilight, bookmarked the parts in the book she needed to put the pieces together and capitalized on Tirek's return to accelerate the process of unlocking the box.

Discord has his ways of doing things. It's part of his nature. He knows he is the only one he can take a fall from grace like that. Everyone would expect it from him. He's Discord.

It was a perfect plan...except it meant betraying his friends.

Discord? OOC? He's chaos.

In character, out of character and notions of character, don't apply to the master of plans within plans.

Wasn't there way to  get Twilight's key without the risk of Tirek taking over?

Also, if Discord really did plan this, then why did he initially capture Tirek?

Wasn't there way to  get Twilight's key without the risk of Tirek taking over?

Also, if Discord really did plan this, then why did he initially capture Tirek?

I wouldn't say  he planned it from the very beginning. Sure he helped with the journal, but I think when he captured Tirek and did his little thinking session with the nightstand he had by him with Flutteryshy's picture, he was weighing the pros and cons, as he the thought of using Tirek as an opportunity entered his mind.

Also, there may have been a way for Twilight to get her key another way, but there was no telling how long that would take.

• Brohoof 2

Everybody forgave him, yet they were still disappointed when he betrayed them.

I mean, what do you expect a show about ponies learning friendship to have? They've got to forgive him sometime.

I get that, but it almost seemed like it came too easy. Once they showed him getting his own magic taken away, it's like they forgot he betrayed them in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

Tirek gave Discord an offer he couldn't refuse. He did seem a little hesitant at first, but tirek convinced Discord to help him. Maybe now after betraying, and being betrayed Discord will be a better friend in the future.

• Brohoof 1

My theory is only speculative.

I don't know how everyone is going to act around Discord now...it seemed he did get off the hook a little too easily.

but then again...ponies.

In the real world if you betray someone like that, you a pretty much branded as untrustworthy for the remainder of you life.

• Brohoof 2

Because the Mane Six accepted him as a friend even though he betrayed them.

Since Tirek made such an impact on him when he denied him his promised power, he felt horrible and felt unworthy to be anyone's friend, but they still liked him. It just felt more meaningful than a tantrum on a frozen apple farm.

• Brohoof 1