Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

✿Alicorn Appreciation Fanclub✿

Sugar Cuddles

@, Not really. Look at Celestia. She has a pretty big losing streak cx But a lot of alicorn players tend to think that's how it works. Alicorns really aren't as strong as they get credit for. By no means pushovers though cx Alicorn magic IS the strongest pony magic.

um. Ok. She's a god of healing :OOO

OMG! Alicorn nurse! eue I'll deem her the goddess of good health!

Cadance can already create a health bubble (Three's a Crowd), so a goddess of good health just seems redundant.

My problem with alicorn OCs is this: Alicorns are special by default. This means that the "specialness" doesn't come from being a good character, but rather from being set apart by species. Which is why pretty much the first thing anyone who comes up with an alicorn OC has to show is how "unspecial" (read as "non-overpowered") the character in question is.

If you want your OC to be an alicorn, be my guest, but you're going to have to work really hard to prove that you're not just making them one to feel special. Which is a wonderful goal for oneself, but probably doesn't rank very highly for other people.

As for the alicorns we have in the show: they're great. Celestia is wise and a great mentor, Luna is loveable and fun to watch. Cadance is pretty much last on my alicorn list, since she's a little too pure and good, which doesn't make her very compelling. Princess Twilight is great, she's really earned her stripes...

post-2257-0-82880200-1415446463_thumb.jpg

as it were, during Season 4.

So I appreciate alicorns in general, just not alicorn OCs.

Cadance can already create a health bubble (Three's a Crowd), so a goddess of good health just seems redundant.
I'm sure even a unicorn could do that. But having an entire kingdom with amazing health in it's population in general would be something a lot more impressive.  

As for being special by default. Special talents are a thing that everypony has. Everypony is generally asked "What is your talent?". The Alicorns are just asked with more high expectations considering the fact that they must be something outstanding to be a god. As you said, Twilight, Luna, Celestia, and I dare say Cadance have fun personalities (even if Cadence is a bit...Mary Sue xD ). 

Notice that everypony has a personality, no matter what species they are. Celestia, Luna, and Twilight is no different to an alicorn OC. They have to prove themselves great with time. Not as much in "bio" 

Just don't hate on OCs for their species. It's racist *nods* or rather, speciest.

• Brohoof 1

If Celestia and Luna are 'true' alicorn, that is to say they were born as such, then do true alicorns reproduce in the same manner as other ponies? If this is the case then are there Alicorn stallions? Certainly none that have been revealed or made as canon. And why not? Is there a gender bias towards it or does it just come down to simple marketing?

It frustrates me so...

@, I think there was a hidden alicorn in some place that appeared to be royalty from their attire. Said alicorn was a colt :D

As for born alicorns. Yes, they do exist. Celestia and Luna are born alicorns according to the two sisters book or whatever it was called. That one bearded unicorn was there *nods* True story cx Anyhoof, I don't see why it would be restricted to females. But MLP has leaps of logic sometimes 

I think a male adult alicorn could make an interesting antagonist. Especially if said alicorn had a history with the royal sisters and their family. Maybe not a direct relative though, since that would be pretty cliché and raise the question as to why they hadn't been mentioned previously.

They have pulled the ancient evil card a lot of times, so it wouldn't be that surprising if they were banished or something similar. But that's lazy story telling. 

The other thing is that an alicorn will most likely have an army. Even Queen Chrysalis had a ton of changelings by her side.

Hard to write that one in a cannon setting. But interesting for sure. Don't see why we'd want another alicorn antagonist after Nightmare Moon though. Especially since Sombra did a pretty good job as a unicorn.

I'm sure even a unicorn could do that. But having an entire kingdom with amazing health in it's population in general would be something a lot more impressive.  

As for being special by default. Special talents are a thing that everypony has. Everypony is generally asked "What is your talent?". The Alicorns are just asked with more high expectations considering the fact that they must be something outstanding to be a god. As you said, Twilight, Luna, Celestia, and I dare say Cadance have fun personalities (even if Cadence is a bit...Mary Sue xD ). 

Notice that everypony has a personality, no matter what species they are. Celestia, Luna, and Twilight is no different to an alicorn OC. They have to prove themselves great with time. Not as much in "bio" 

Just don't hate on OCs for their species. It's racist *nods* or rather, speciest.

I don't hate the OCs themselves, unless the way their characters are portrayed gives me a reason to. I think the person creating them is being a bit presumptuous. In my view, it shows more lack of creativity than evidence of it. Still, there's nothing to say someone can't create a wonderful character who just also happens to be an alicorn, but in that case, why not just make them one of the others?

It's the combination of magic and wings that just seems like the person just wants to feel special. And by special, I don't mean "having a special talent" which of course is supposed to be true of all ponies, I mean special as in standing (literally) head and shoulders above others from the get go.

If your OC starts as normal and you can justify why what they did is enough to make them into an alicorn, then it's a little different. That's just Character Development, and if it's believable, that's great.

And people thought I was the weird one, because I didn't mock others for their alicorn art... When has an artist ever pleased the people of his or her time?

And of course, Princess Twilight is Best Pony for all Eternity.

They have pulled the ancient evil card a lot of times, so it wouldn't be that surprising if they were banished or something similar. But that's lazy story telling. 

The other thing is that an alicorn will most likely have an army. Even Queen Chrysalis had a ton of changelings by her side.

Hard to write that one in a cannon setting. But interesting for sure. Don't see why we'd want another alicorn antagonist after Nightmare Moon though. Especially since Sombra did a pretty good job as a unicorn.

Well the character that I am envisioning wouldn't necessarily have to be 'ancient' just removed from mainstream Equestria, perhaps a leader from a foreign country or something but not as blatantly evil as Chrysalis or Sombta. You could even give them a small back story like being a former suitor to one of the Regal Sisters or something, who knows. Although that is getting into Chrysalis territory.

They might have an army, but marching into a foreign country like makes it pretty obvious what you're intentions are. But I doubt that would stop the writers at that point.

Ideally this alicorn would not be just another power hungry tyrant, I think that's an overused stereotype for male characters. Maybe they're trying to conquer Equestria because they feel like they need to, after all things have been pretty hectic there lately.

Something like an anti-villain perhaps.

I think fans should support the existing alicorns more. They usually get an unfair amount of criticism. Still, I am no automatic supporter of Alicorns. Fans do not always know how to write a good character. If a character is an alicorn then they are both immortal and created. Alicorns are not a species. Fan made alicorns are normally created to prevent a writer from encountering challenge in a story. That is why some criticism is legitimate.

(edited)

@@Sunny Fox,  People forget that people don't make alicorn OCs because they couldn't make their OC special without it. 

People make Alicorn OCs usually to be royalty and have the whole "Superman" complex that is with great power comes great responsibility. Anyone just doing it because "I'm an alicorn and I'm super awesome compared to everypony else" Is clearly a bit of a derp. I could never make an alicorn OC without it being strictly for AU Kingdomy thingies. Especially since anyone who's an alicorn is going to get attention in the RP. Basically, it's a one way ticked to your character getting attention, which might be why a lot of RPers on here do the fancy thing with the alicorn. I tend to disallow alicorns in most of my RPs just because they don't fit in. Same with Draconequus, dragons, changelings, ect xD 

@@Silver Letter, Oh believe me. I don't either xD I especially feel like scolding a couple of alicorn OCs I've seen on here. But I follow the "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" thingy xD It's a code of honor really.

I especially hate a certain alicorn on here...*grumbles*  One that I can basically point at and say "How not to make an alicorn" Sadly. They are pretty popular despite being rather snobby and often times flatout lying about their OC not being "OP" xD 

Now I'm ranting. Gah, we need huggles...We need a princess...Hhmn.

209802.png?1407799103Muffins! <3

EDIT: My overall thought was how can one lack creativity by making an alicorn? xD Everyone knows that if they don't give them anything that makes said alicorn special, then they get flamed for being pointless.

EDIT V2.0: I need to stop typing in whatever thoughts I have in my mind and just shorten posts to what I'm basically saying. I'm starting to pull a Frosty xD (Frost being one of my best buds. He gets sidetracked a LOT xD )

Edited by Sugar Cuddles
  • Brohoof 1

I've got seven Pony OCs, two of which are Alicorns.

One is pivotal to my story, and the other is a special agent of the crown, not a Princess.

*Insert Secret Agent Mare Song Here*

Edited by Mustang D

I've got seven Pony OCs, two of which are Alicorns.

One is pivotal to my story, and the other is a special agent of the crown, not a Princess.

*Insert Secret Agent Mare Song Here*

The special agent and elite unit Alicorn was a popular thing for a while actually :D Some believed that some royal guards were alicorns. Specifically those close to the sisters. This was of course corrected by Lauren Faust herself, when she pointed out that the alicorn guards were a drawing error. But the idea was nice for sure to a lot of  fans. If not extremely frustrating to others.

I do like the idea that in some kingdoms, they'd have alicorns as guards. Maybe even a non alicorn princess. 

3_alicorn_guards_in_mlp__by_nuller4444-d

• Brohoof 2

Alas, my persona is not a pony, the switch from bipedal to quadruped would be really strange.

But that doesn't stop me from hanging around. Besides, at my current height I'm 1mm taller than Luna.

It's certainly not an alicorn exclusive club! :D *brushes*

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have been wanting to show my appreciation for alicorns, and now I have found it, this is a fan club I support. I too was getting tired of the alicorn hate, on Deviant Art you can get more than your fair share of the indignation, but I don't see it that, to me an alicorn is a pony that combines the best of the ponies, the magic of unicorns and wings of pegasi, but it is easy to succumb to envy and jealousy, in our fandom your OC can be only earth, unicorn or pegasus, although our fandom is suppose to be open minded and accommodating to change, some do, while others whine and protest, so they try to regulate fans wishes to create a alicorn OC, then they move on to criticise other OCs, from the three tribes, it's like nothing we do will please those pedantic fans. So, I will do what pleases me, and support of bronies who want an alicorn OC, to stand up with those who are brave to do what is unwelcome, so that the alicorn hate will dissipate, someday I want to have an alicorn character, in time the irascible fans would move on or accept the changes, but our fandom is not defined by rules or a hierarchy, the alicorns will have their time to shine, and I want to be there, so to those who share my love of alicorns, I am here and be there for the alicorns, for they need appreciation not ridicule for being to powerful or "Mary Sue", a term I hate, keep up the good fight, and friendship is magic.      

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the problem with alicorn OCs are actually problems that any OC can have. It's very easy to make an overpowered unicorn too and even more if you start self-inserting.

Personally, I don't mind very powerful characters and I even like them, but it's so hard to use them right in a story (the show and comics included). Another thing I don't mind, actually, is self-inserting. But it's hard to keep these characters "objective" and the story ends up looking like a "if I was a pony simulator". In the end, it's always about personal preferences and the fandom has internalized terms like "mary sue" and "overpowered" and they seem to appear when readers perceive their power or qualities seem to be gratuitous.

If you want to make an alicorn OC remember that they are supposed to be unique and special. They are not born, they are made into alicorns. Make them different from Celly and Luna. Give them a reason to be alicorns.

Wall of text alert...

Me and a few friends have an online roleplay game, where I'm the gamemaster and I ended up making a HUGE use of alicorns. Here is how it happened: we have a game were there is this huge intergalactic empire and and it ends up being a enormous crossover of all the stuff we like. Of course Equestria ended up in the game. It is, by any sane definition, a very difficult setup to tell a story, but bear with me. Well, this empire is facing a very powerful enemy (enough to break it's legendary defenses and invade it) and this enemy (beyond their immense fighting ability) happens to have some sort of telepathic were they are capable of slowly turning you to their side (kinda like the Reapers in Mass Effect) and there is this character in the game that is THE Emperor. He was based of the God-Emperor from WH40k. So this guy is NATURALLY a target for the mary sue tag. He is an unstoppable warrior, he's a benevolent tyrant that lives by the motto of "infinetely love your friends and infinitely hate your enemies" (I bet some people know where this is from), he is too intelligent... All those wonderful eighties' hero qualities, along with being a freaking pervert. (An important point though, is that our game has been going on for 15 years. The players saw this guy rise from recruit to king, learn the secrets of our fictional universe, become a god and beat the others that tried to stop him along thousands of years. You need time to make a character like that and he changed across time, and even then, every time we "jumped to the future" there was a little shock that needed to be handled carefully.)

So the Emperor is fighting these enemies along with his soldiers (front line Rambo style with Jedi powers) and he starts getting affected by this enemy telepathic ability. The Empress is like "screw that! You're not fighting anymore. You're on vacation." Like I said, we put ponies in the game. Equestria happens to be part of this empire (it's actually like a federation with a very present central government that expects local governments to only bother if the world is ending). So the Empress sends him to Equestria and he gets "ponyfied". Lo and behold, he turns into an alicorn. So, the guy is a caucasian monster with black hair, golden armor that can kill you with his thoughts. But now he is Chocolate Velvet, a chocolate-brown alicorn that is not in Equestria to fight some "season finale demon from Tartarus", he is there so Celestia will keep him under control. When he first got turned he couldn't walk right. He had to learn how to fly. He had to learn how to use his magic and he is not going to cast "ultima" any time soon.

Also, in our game Celestia is still based out of how she was perceived in season one. Both she and Luna are insanely powerful, old and wise tacticians that solve problems by letting others do their thing while they made sure everything is in place. Celestia and Luna is in their thrones and all is right in Equestria. Except there is a crazy alicorn trying to get under their tail all the time while ponies deal with stuff you'd expect to see in slice of life episodes of the show, and dealing with a power-hungry gryphon warlord that thinks he needs to restart the "Gryphon Wars" because ponies have castrated his species with hunting regulations. Chocolate Velvet is not the central point of the story. He is a very important character in it but he can't solve all the problems, he doesn't have all the answers anymore and Celestia keeps him under control if he tries to do something stupid.

Another thing: the ponies take part in the war with support units. Part of the reason the Emperor gets sent to Equestria is that the ponies' magic is very harmful to these almighty invaders (and because we like ponies). But you can't put the ponies in the frontline and expect them to win the war, of course. So I needed to find a way to adapt the ponies so that the players could be with them and still participate in the war. By demand of the players, I also needed to put Fallout: Equestria in the game. This came in the form of a parallel universe created by the invaders in an attempt to corrupt the Elements of Harmony, the ponies' big weapon. In our game, the Elements are more like a tool than a weapon. Together, they generate insane amounts of magic (they have a Xenosaga's Zohar vibe to them). They power the ponies' magic starships and very powerful shields that help the ponies fight along with their magic weapons. Long story short, when the real ponies find about this "other Equestria", the Princesses decide that they need to help those ponies and Celestia engineers a plan to free those ponies from the brutal hell that is the Wasteland and to acquire war savvy for her own Equestria. The Emperor takes in the same role DJ Pon3 had in Fallout: Equestria, but more geared towards leading Littlepip and friends into finding the Elements so that a spell could be cast simultaneously on both universes.

The result was that the Mane Six got the memories from their counterparts and so, all their experiences. The Ministries were created and they regulate Equestria's war effort. This resulted in the creation of said starships and magical weaponry. Everything that "we" have which requires electronics is replaced by "magitronics" in this AU Equestria of our game. The reason I talk about this is because people who have read Fallout: Equestria and spin-offs know of a certain pony that got to be the dominant personality of a certain Goddess, and when the spell was cast, she not only ended up with the memories of the Goddess, but also ended up with the control of a bunch of artificial alicorns. These alicorns have been purified by the Elements, so they look more like Luna, and not Nightmare Moon and they regained, to a certain degree, their individuality.

In the end, they worship "the Goddess", wherever she likes it or not. They are also what turned out to be Equestria's frontline soldiers. But a few rules apply: they need to be constantly monitored or they WILL SCREW UP things. They are cute: they manage to look cute while they are laying down suppression fire with saddle-mounted machine guns (comes with being a pony). They are dangerous: they are likely to kill you if you don't hug them. And they are becoming unstable: memories from their past life are surfacing because they don't want to be part of the Unity and rather be normal ponies again... Not to mention... There is a war on. So again... They can't solve all the problems... Putting them on the battlefield is likely to create more problems than solve them and they tend to come with an "Apocalypse Now" sort of humor because they are slowly becoming maniacal or depressive.

TL;DR: want alicorns in your story? SHOW why they are alicorns, instead of saying they did something awesome  and became alicorns. Give them actual flaws. It's like creating a character for a game with positive and negative perks. Give your alicorn flaws that influence how they behave in a story to balance that out. Don't say that the character is a claustrophobic alicorn if she'll never need to enter a cave in her life. If she needs reading glasses, make sure that at some point she'll desperately need to read something but can't because she forgot her glasses.

And in the end, be ready to accept that some people just don't like alicorns.

• Brohoof 2

I can definitely see where you guys are coming from, and I would like to add an emphasis on the importance of Alicorns in Equestria:

The species of ponies do match up with personality. Earth ponies are workaholics and engineers, unicorns are the artsy and nerdy types, pegasi are pilots and meteorologists, and last but not least, alicorns have knowledge of government and power to serve other ponies' needs before themselves. The reason why I think alicorns match up with the government type personality is because they have to run the place and bring civility and protection to a territory. Alicorns have superstrength, ability to fly, and have extensive array of magic for a reason, running Equestria takes A LOT of power to maintain a civilized nation. Back to human reality, it's not different in the American constitution: "By the people, to the people, for the people." Alicorns also have to obey Equestrian constitution so they don't get too overpowered, and that is where the knowledge of government comes into play, so here's some pony government for ya, now go hug an alicorn and say thanks! 

post-27780-0-08659700-1404312872.gif

The special agent and elite unit Alicorn was a popular thing for a while actually :D Some believed that some royal guards were alicorns. Specifically those close to the sisters. This was of course corrected by Lauren Faust herself, when she pointed out that the alicorn guards were a drawing error. But the idea was nice for sure to a lot of  fans. If not extremely frustrating to others.

I do like the idea that in some kingdoms, they'd have alicorns as guards. Maybe even a non alicorn princess. 

img-3247083-1-3_alicorn_guards_in_mlp__b

The idea of alicorn guards could also bring up the idea of male alicorns too! 

• Brohoof 1