Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Possible MLP Comic Section?

duidamasterXD

Feedback is fun!  

25 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think adding a subforum for the IDW comics is a good idea?

• Yeah!
    • Nah
    • Other (explain please)
  2. 2. Would you post in this section?

• Sure
    • Nope
    • Maybe

This is an idea that's been raised several times in the past, and it's back again :squee:. As of now, most of the discussion of the IDW MLP comics seems to take place in the pinned thread for them over in Sugarcube Corner. It's served its purpose well, but it's also confining talk about many issues and events into one topic, which doesn't seem like the best format. It seems like the best alternative to this massive megathread would be to give the comics their own subsection within Sugarcube, like Pony Merch and the Fan Clubs, to let fans of the series be able to easily find and talk about specific things with fellow fans. This way, threads related to the comics wouldn't have to compete with all the other miscellaneous Sugarcube stuff as well.

The only concern is that sections are generally created as a response to a demand for them, a recent example being when the Fan Clubs were moved to free up a section for other threads. In the past, this subsection hasn't become a thing because of uncertainty over how many people would be interested in using it. So this thread is just to throw the idea out there, get a measure of how people feel about this, and whether they think this section would be worth the trouble. Thoughts and posts would be most appreciated :), and there's also a poll to let people chip in if they don't feel like typing anything out yet.

• Brohoof 8

As much as I love the comics, I'm not sure if an entire section would be needed. Judging from the activity in the current Comic Book thread, there doesn't seem to be enough interest to warrant an entire brand new section.

Although on the contrary, maybe people are hesitant to participate in that thread because it's trying to lump every Comic Issue and every possible topic that could spawn regarding the comics into one single thread, so it might be seen as a big mess. Off the top of my head, there are plenty of interesting topics and ideas to be discussed regarding the comics, so it may be worth a shot - even if just temporary to gauge interest

• Brohoof 1

"Nahh" and "Maybe" for me, given I do read the comics some, but not like I should :D

All it would do is reduce clutter in Sugarcube Corner even more than it already has with the advent of "Fan Clubs" and "Pony Merchandise" - except this time, it wouldn't be nearly as needed, due to most comic discussion taking place in a designated thread. Not nearly as much topic clutter as was the last couple of times, so there's that.

Of course, there's pros to the cons, too - if one were to lock the original comic discussion thread and then create discussion topics for each comic arc and what not in the comics sub-forum, the people who want to discuss comics would have a super easy and accessible way to do so.

But, what about activity? There's an average to below-average amount of activity in the general comic book discussion thread, and we're not seeing SC Corner getting spammed with topics about the comics like we did with fan clubs and pony merch :D There's no point in creating a sub-forum when it wouldn't get too much activity. I really don't think it's needed until we get an overwhelming amount of comic discussion - which, I don't think is currently the case.

So, no, we shouldn't add a comic subforum at this point in time, in my opinion. Not everyone reads the comics, and we're not seeing a whole lot of activity in regards to the comics in the pinned topic or in SC Corner as whole. 

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but I don't think it's warranted at the moment - certainly not like it was with Fan Clubs and Pony Merch :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Another option would be to have the section not just be the MLP Comic, but to also cover the novels and similar things. Media that are official, but not necessarily canon to the show.

EDIT: Adding an 'also' in to make intent clearer. I sick. Not think gud.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

I like @@Fhaolan's idea of having a section for all of the secondary canon material... comics, novels, other books, etc... 

I think one of the big reasons that the comics don't get much discussion on this site is because of the fact that there's not a section for it.  To analogize, the conventions that have sections get tons of discussion, but the conventions without sections have maybe one or two inactive threads.  I think in the same way that having convention sections encourages people to talk about those conventions here, we could encourage people to talk about all the secondary canon stuff more if there was a section for it so the posts didn't get lost in Sugarcube Corner. 

Especially for the comics though, they're getting more and more popular with the fandom, I think they deserve to have more elaborate discussions than one giant thread devoted to all things comic book related.

Personally I've never posted in the comic book thread because I'm usually behind on the comics, and every time I open that thread it spoils something for me.  If we had a section for this kind of thing and there were individual threads for each comic like we have for show discussion, I could discuss all the comics without worrying about spoilers.

TL;DR: I like the idea.

Edit:  Plus we could name it after the much mourned Golden Oak Library :D

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 3

I like @@Fhaolan's idea of having a section for all of the secondary canon material... comics, novels, other books, etc...

I think one of the big reasons that the comics don't get much discussion on this site is because of the fact that there's not a section for it. To analogize, the conventions that have sections get tons of discussion, but the conventions without sections have maybe one or two inactive threads. I think in the same way that having convention sections encourages people to talk about those conventions here, we could encourage people to talk about all the secondary canon stuff more if there was a section for it so the posts didn't get lost in Sugarcube Corner.

Especially for the comics though, they're getting more and more popular with the fandom, I think they deserve to have more elaborate discussions than one giant thread devoted to all things comic book related.

Personally I've never posted in the comic book thread because I'm usually behind on the comics, and every time I open that thread it spoils something for me. If we had a section for this kind of thing and there were individual threads for each comic like we have for show discussion, I could discuss all the comics without worrying about spoilers.

TL;DR: I like the idea.

Edit: Plus we could name it after the much mourned Golden Oak Library :D

I agree with everything here 100%. This should happen. :blush: If that's okay with the Staff... I mean.

I totally support this. The comics are influential and separate on their own and a subforum would help.

Another option would be to have the section not just be the MLP Comic, but to also cover the novels and similar things. Media that are official, but not necessarily canon to the show.EDIT: Adding an 'also' in to make intent clearer. I sick. Not think gud.

If it happened, this would definatly be the way to go. As it stands, I feel like the comic thread doesn't get enough traffic to warrant its own sub forum. However, with more and more spin off material getting made, a sub forum for that stuff could be a good idea.

Probably not needed for now, but something to watch in the future.

(edited)

I think the problem we are seeing with the IDW Comics and official novels/books is that they are OFFICIAL...They are canon and part of the series. There will be spoilers and tie in's that some of fanbase will not know but may care about. Because it not fanmade content, it should have its own subforum of some kind, especially as there is no sign of these IDW comics ceasing to be created. I would love to post more about certain aspects, but I fear spoiling it for those who have not read them. And again, it's not just the comics, but the pony centric and EQG novels as well should be included.

Edited by Treble Bolt

Another option would be to have the section not just be the MLP Comic, but to also cover the novels and similar things. Media that are official, but not necessarily canon to the show.

EDIT: Adding an 'also' in to make intent clearer. I sick. Not think gud.

I second the notion; a section for media would be relevant.

Media such as:

- Comics

- Fanfics (ohgod)

- Videos

- Music

- Novels

Overall, text & audio?

Y'know, things that fall in the "Media" category.

The comics have gotten bigger and more popular over time. I think a section is at least worth trying out. Can put a 'nothings in stone, we're in test drive mode for a month or so', see how it goes. If it truly doesn't get much usage after the expected first week or two of 'NEW SECTION LETS BREAK THIS BABY IN', then we can consider revoking it as a subforum, and say we at least tried and gave it a shot.

Also worth considering.

• Brohoof 1

I think that a subforum should at least be given a shot. The printed material has gotten considerable larger and given more detail to the characters and the lore of the world. Plus, while the traffic on the pinned thread isn't great, that probably shouldn't be blamed soley on the interest. Sometimes, if you want to have varied discussion, it's a bit more difficult to contain it to one thread. Like, if you're wanting to talk about Chrysalis' evolution as a villain since the show, the detail about the nightmare powers, Big Mac's love interest, and the Mane 6's ease of falling into the changeling's trap.

So yeah, I think a sub-forum dedicated to the comics, books, and other official printed material should at least be given a try.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the large amount of support for this idea, I have created a new forum section for discussion of official MLP comics, books, and so on. It can be accessed here: http://mlpforums.com/forum/142-print-media/

Please note that this section should only be used to discuss official MLP print media such as the comics, and not fanfiction or any other fandom material.

• Brohoof 5