Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon Redeemable?

Lighting Star

So I was just recently watching Rugrats and remember how much of a stuck up, spoiled, annoying brat Angelica is. And this reminded me a lot of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel like their sort of the same characters. 

But then I realized there was a major difference between them: the creators of Rugrats always made episodes that redeemed Angelica in the viewer's eyes. They reminded us that even though she is an antagonist, she is still a character that we care about. I can't name any off the top of my head, but I know there were episodes like that.

So that got me wondering, at this point in the show is it possible to redeem DT and SP and turn them from characters that are one dimensional bullies and universally hated by the fandom into interesting characters that we want to know more about?

@

Hmm, that seems like it would be a very interesting idea for an episode. Come to think of it, they don't seem to have any friends but each other. An episode where that friendship was put to the test would be something I would watch.

• Brohoof 2

Oh there are ways they could. DT displayed some great organisational and tactical skills in ponyville confidential, and she seems like she has a personality and alot of engery behind that 1 dimensional mask. It wouldn't be to hard to write her as just a snobby rich girl, but one that has her own issues that cause her to act how she does towards the CMC. As for silver spoon, unfortunatly she doesn't have much of a personality due to her just being DT's satilite, but since she has so little canon personality she can be written to just be a lonely pony following her for no reason than she has no one else.

And I'm sure if they can make the spirit of chaos become a good guy, they can redeme a little filly who was mean.

• Brohoof 2

If Discord, a raving lunatic hell-bent on chaotic frenzy, can plot to enslave the entire population of Equestria and still be redeemed (Twice may I add), I think Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon, typical school yard bullies, can as well. It might take a little convincing and it would have to be well written, but I believe it can be pulled off

• Brohoof 1

I can quite easily see Silver Spoon being redeemed, she's nothing but a follower for the most part. Take her away from Worst Pony, teach her what actual friendship is from those who use caring and love and common interests as opposed to bullying, greed and self-interest, and she'll see the light sooner or later. DT? I have no sympathy for this bitch x) In my opinion, she's been raised as a spoiled brat, and has developed intense qualities of selfishness, bullying, superiority and entitlement. Impressions as a kid have long-lasting effects, and from how cruel and manipulative she is at her young age, seems to me she's too far gone, a lost cause, to be truly redeemed.

I'm sure the show could pull it off if they wanted to, but in the real world, that shit doesn't happen easily x) I'm also biased, but hey.

If Discord, a raving lunatic hell-bent on chaotic frenzy, can plot to enslave the entire population of Equestria and still be redeemed (Twice may I add), I think Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon, typical school yard bullies, can as well. It might take a little convincing and it would have to be well written, but I believe it can be pulled off

Eh, Discord's a saint compared to Sombra, Chrysalis, even Shimmer and her army of unwilling teenage zombie slaves, in the slave department. Even taking Sunbutt's vague window painting and explanations into account about how he ruled Equestria in the past, from what we saw, Discord didn't give much of a shit about the population around him, he more or less just did what he wanted, when he wanted, and if it inconvenienced others, which it did, tough luck. Sure, he may have gained some laughs from watching the ponies 'suffer' from what he found to be fun, but he had zero interest in slaves or servants or anything of that kind like the other mentioned antagonists, who both stated and/or showed they wanted slaves to rule over after they took over the continent or empire.

* One could hypothetically argue that Discord took pleasure in Discordifying ponies back in the olden times like he did with the Mane Six, but in my opinion based on my headcanon that I've built, his discordifying powers were more of a weapon he used against the Mane Six, a direct counter to try to eliminate them as a threat, since turning the Elements of Harmony into their opposite is a great counter. Not so much something he did regularly with random ponies, constantly. Back in olden times, before Celestia and Luna stoned him, when he knew he didn't have to worry about anything stopping his fun, he seemed more interested in turning the environment into a cesspool of chaos than picking on the ponies specifically.

Sombra and Chrysalis (Tirek, too, though he was less about slaves and more about pure evil, moreso than Discord) are like tyrannical despot dictators. Discord (was) just a typhoon of aimless anarchy. He had a basic plan, which involved him ruling everything, but it was more akin to a super-powered kid saying 'nyah nyah, I do what I want', than 'I am a cunning, twisted, plotting sun of a gun who will strategically overthrow your peaceful kingdom and fill it with hatred and darkness.'

I dunno, your logic of 'Discord, so Tiara' doesn't hit the same way with me as it does you. Discord's a completely different type of villain, on the opposite side of the power and purpose scale than Tiara, as you've said, and as I've made even more clear. I don't think a connection can be so easily drawn between them. I think Trixie or Sunset Shimmer would be better characters to compare to Tiara, personally. They were both also 'redeemed', sort of, and they're far more similar to Tiara than Discord is.

--

Congratulations, you've received a CD 4 AM stream of consciousness :D If we had those damn forum achievements that I tried to get to be a thing a long time ago, you'd certainly get one.

As soon as Sweetie Belle develops her magical ability, she'll probably blast DT & SS with the "Reformation" Spell that Twilight planned to use on Discord and they'll be come nice ponies (...even if that is TOTALLY against their free will.... but who uses that anymore... and yes, that would make Sweetie Belle a better villain than Sombra :P)

• Brohoof 1

If Discord a main villian we're supposed to hate for what and at first a generic villian.

Has become a loved character, reformed twice and two ships with other characters (celestia and fluttershy)

I think if the writers think hard they could do something with SS and DT :P

To be honest I don't think they are. They're born like that, and I guess the writers want them to stay the way they are, so that the CMC have antagonists.

Again, Discord was an exception.

I think silver spoon can be redeemed more easily that diamond tiara =P dimond triara is so mean in genaral and silver spoon follows along because i think she has no other friends =/

I kind of have the opposite opinion. DT has the qualities of a leader, even if she is turning them to evil purposes at the moment. SS is a mindless little follower. DT is not going to change until she decides to, and if that happens, SS will no doubt come along for the ride.

At some point the writers should give the Sugar Rump squadron at least some amount of redemption because it's an important point about the other side of real life bullying. I've said it several times before, I used to be as petty as Diamond Tiara was in my own childhood, and I've come a long way since then. She's not hit the nonredeemable point yet, not by a long shot.

They've been so thoroughly established as antagonists for the CMC that I don't even want them to be redeemed.  Nor do I want a DT-centric episode where she's made out to be unexpectedly sympathetic and magically becomes not a spoiled, seemingly conscienceless bully in the span of 22 minutes. xD  "I only bully those blankflanks - whom I've just decided I secretly admire - because daddy is too busy making money to give me his love and attention!"  *DT sad face.*  Do not want.  Nor do I want significant time from the show devoted to redeeming her.  I don't even care 'bout her flunky SS.  She and SS serve their purpose, and the writers haven't so much as included a hint (that I've seen or picked up on) that they may be someday redeemed or be anything other than jerks.

And seriously: Discord is awesome.  Anything that got him out of his stone pajamas and back into the show was worth it.  Are a reformed DT and SS going to be that awesome??  No.  Let them be the small potatoes "villains" they've always been. xD

At first, I thought so. But after their behavior in Flight to the Finish (which, as a paraplegic, pisses me off to no end), i'm starting to doubt it. maybe if the crusaders get their cutie marks, but even then somehow I see them not changing.....

(edited)

I'm pretty sure they could be redeemed. They are just schoolyard bullies, I've seen plenty of people just like them in my life. Some of them changed and became better people, some of them didn't. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are a pair of spoiled bratty children, not some evil monsters trying to take over Equestria to enslave everypony.

Will they be redeemed? I wouldn't mind it if they were, as long as it was written well. I think they could be pretty good characters if someone took the time to develop them more instead of just leaving them as "Generic bully 1" and "Generic bully 2".

Edited by BasementPrincess

In regard to redemption in the viewer's eyes, that could likely be accomplished by more context and backstory being provided for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's behavior. As others have said, this would most likely be more easily accomplished for the latter due to the fact that she does not often take the lead in bullying others, but follows along with what Diamond Tiara does.

In regard to actual moral redemption for the characters in the show, I feel that is certainly possible. I see what Chaotic Discord is saying about how Discord was not as evil as Sombra, Chrysalis, and so on, but he was still plenty bad. If someone like him can be reformed, an immortal, infinitely powerful being, fillies certainly can be.