Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's so unappealing with the term, "Pegasister"?

DND

I'm just curious as to why a big majority of female viewers seem to hate the term. I can't help but get the vibe that the females who watch the show think the term refers to negative indifference. I haven't gotten a clear reason yet, so please tell me what your opinion on the term pegasister and how why you think it gets a bad rep.

From what I have seen, it makes them feel unincluded. Like, using a different term seperates them from the majority of the fandom which is, in fact, male Bronies. I say majority because, while I may not know specific numbers, when people refer to our fandom they talk about the guys. Girls want to be included (rightfully so) & therefore when they hear a different term they get upset because they feel like they are not part of the fandom. Personally, I don't get it either, cause I always felt Pegasister was a cute denomination, but I respect our female counterparts choice in being called Bronies, so I usually just say "female Bronies."

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

I always liked the term Pegasis' or Pegasister.  It's adorable, and girls disapproving of it is just... I don't know.

It's like telling someone their hair looks nice and they complain about it.  Meh.

Edited by Miles Tails Prower
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Like Kokurai, I believe it has to do with the feeling of inclusion and how it might seem like we're putting them into their own category separate from the "main" fanbase. There are girls who care about that and prefer "Brony", and yet there are also girls who love the term "Pegasister". I don't really think too about what they want to be called, I generally go with "Brony" by default since it seems like the least chance of irritating someone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 6

From what I've seen they seem to dislike it either because of a divide they think it creates, or they think it sounds odd and uncreative.

As a male fan, I think it sounds neat and harmless, but to each their own. Strangely enough, I rarely even use terms like "brony" or "pegasister", I just say "male" or "female" so I can try and avoid any possible confusion.

I personally bounce back and forth between the two words.  from what i have scene though its sorta the whole mentality that wether you are 6, 16, or 26 its "NORMAL" for females to like things cute and sparkley and pastle. and the fact some girls feel that because we wont get as much crud for it means were not deserving of the name. 

to put it simply some girls feel its like "Ok your welcome into our girl club! FREE PONIES FOR ALL!!" and then turn around and put up a no girls allowed sign.

(edited)

We use "Boy" and "Girl"..."Brony" and "Pegasister". It's the same thing in MLP form.

From what I have seen, it makes them feel unincluded. Like, using a different term seperates them from the majority of the fandom which is, in fact, male Bronies. I say majority because, while I may not know specific numbers, when people refer to our fandom they talk about the guys. Girls want to be included (rightfully so) & therefore when they hear a different term they get upset because they feel like they are not part of the fandom. Personally, I don't get it either, cause I always felt Pegasister was a cute denomination, but I respect our female counterparts choice in being called Bronies, so I usually just say "female Bronies."

Yes, I suppose I was right on the the indifference part. But honestly, like Gamma Wave mentioned, it's just a term for females. Feeling negative about pegasister is like feeling negative to the term girl and heading over to what seems to be an ideal side. There's nothing wrong with being labeled as a girl. In a lot of the documentaries and analysis of bronies the girl fans aren't regarded a lot as is. Preferring the whole fanbase labled as one thing doesn't really help much with getting the feeling of recognition.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy

Preferring the whole fanbase labled as one thing doesn't really help much with getting the feeling of inclusion.

This is a personal opinion on the subject. Some people would rather actually have a certain title than not. For example, you are talking with a group of friends, & a person who you consider a close/best friend calls you a friend. Maybe to you it might not end up being a big deal, but to someone else it might. They might think "Why am I not your BEST friend? Or at least a CLOSE friend?" There is a reason we have different names for our significant others, where they go from person, to friend, to close friend, to girlfriend/boyfriend, to... Uh I forget what the terms used during engagement prior to marriage are, so sorry for that :P  to wife/husband. This is because names, in our society at least (our as in American, since I am using that as a basis for this due to that being where I live), defines how people appear in our eyes. If I see "This is a person I know" it sounds much less personal & close than "This is my girlfriend." So when some girls hear "Pegasister" they feel less important or outside of the Brony fandom, therefore they get upset. Not because they hate the word "Pegasister" itself, like how it is said or something (though I have heard some make complaints on how the "Pega" part further secludes them, putting them only as Pegasi. This is a stupid argument in my eyes, but I cannot complain because it would be stupid to do so) but because the word acts like a barrier to the female parts of the fandom, therefore keeping them at bay from the majority of the fandom & thereby excluding them. Add onto this women have in the past been sectioned off from men (much like how we still have racism today) & it further deepens the anger directed at this word. So, many female fans take off the "Pegasister" title & instead don the "Brony" or at least "Female Brony" to bring them back into the fandom.

TL;DR While the word itself is not bad, & some people view the 2 words as equals, when giving separate terms to a group it gives the illusion of 2 separate sides. Thereby causing an imaginary rift which the female fans feel a need to bridge over, to bring them back into the fandom.

PS I still think the term is Pegasister is cute & not separating anyone, just another way of saying "male" & "female" just as the show has "stallions" & "mares"

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Why do girls and boys need to have another name. Why dividing it in two groups?  We should all be in one group.

It's probably easier if everyone calls himself a brony.

Edited by Pinklady
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 months later...

I don't like the term for many reasons, one of them is that it's a reference to the Pegasi. Why? Does being a female brony have anything special to do with the Pegasi tribe? No, it's just a random and stupid choice of name.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like the term for many reasons, one of them is that it's a reference to the Pegasi. Why? Does being a female brony have anything special to do with the Pegasi tribe? No, it's just a random and stupid choice of name.

Yeah, this basically. I find the term "pegasister" to sound really stupid, so I don't blame girls who don't want to be labled as it.

...then again, this is coming from a guy who thinks the word "brony" sounds cool despite sounding like a chocolate pastery. You might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, this basically. I find the term "pegasister" to sound really stupid, so I don't blame girls who don't want to be labled as it.

...then again, this is coming from a guy who thinks the word "brony" sounds cool despite sounding like a chocolate pastery. You might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Yeah, one should be called what they want to be called, honestly. If you call yourself a brony, you are a brony.

But dude, you know what? We're born the same day :D

Edited by RaveLow
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, one should be called what they want to be called, honestly. If you call yourself a brony, you are a brony.

But dude, you know what? We're born the same day :D

*checks* Wow. First time meeting someone born on the exact same day as me. :wau:

• Brohoof 1

Some people don't even like the term brony, so they feel people are trying too hard to use labels or whatever.

Other people throw around feminism and gender inequality, talking about why girls have the right to use brony, so pegasister shouldn't be used, etc.

I think they're all making too much of a big deal about it x) People use categories and things naturally. Most people use the terms brony and pegasister of their own accord, and aren't being pushed into using one or the other by society or anyone else. In those cases, no one should care. Let people use what they want. I see nothing wrong with a girl using pegasister if that's what she wants to use. It's her choice, not the fandom, not anyone else, or their opinions.

• Brohoof 1

I dislike both the name "Brony" and "Pegasister", it seems to me that these names just create an unnecessary divide between members of a fandom that seems to be dedicated to acceptance and inclusivity.

I usually just call everypony a brony by default though, regardless of gender.

I can honestly see both sides, whether one wants to be called a Pegasister or not, I can see reasons logical enough in my mind.

I can see why some may feel excluded, or why some may not really care, or just prefer the term or whatever the reason.

Personally, I respect both sides, and try my best to call them as they prefer, really in the end it's all just labels, and I honestly hardly prefer to people specifically as bronies or pegasisters, except in rare cases, or maybe when addressing a group of the fandom, but that is even a rare occurrence.

But I believe it's really just up to the personal opinion of the person, whatever they want to be called is fine by me, I just try my best to remember which way they prefer.

I personally don't like that term because it is specific to one race. (pegasus) Maybe a girl sees her ponysona as an earth pony or a unicorn. 

Brony means bro+pony

Pegasister means pegasus+sister

It's not flexible as brony. 

bro can be gender neutral (at least it was where I grew up) so brony works for both. 

• Brohoof 1

I think that some view it as a unnecessarily divisive term. It's like if Trekkies made their female fans call themselves girltrekkies. Plenty of people seem fine with being called a pegisister. I think the term only becomes a problem when people try to force it on them. Every once in a while, I see a post like "you're not a brony, you're a pegisister". I think that's dumb. If they want to be called a brony, call them a brony. There's no need to make the distinction if they don't want it.

• Brohoof 1

I think what it is, coming from the male perspective here, is that it's not as universal as Brony is. It could even be considered discriminatory, or sexist by some people, and that's probably why for some people, the term Pegasister comes off rough.

I think it causes unecssary divide and people outside the fandom don't really recognize pegasisters. I mean if you weren't a part of this fandom the first thing that would come to your head when thinking about the fans of MLP:FIM your first thought would prob be Brony.