Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Post 2014 MLPF World Cup Thread

Inactive01

(edited)

GET WREKT yeah yeah fluttershy fans. you tried soooooo hard  and in the end... GG no re. Good Game. 

Edited by Zenit
  • Brohoof 2

For the handful of team twilight who didn't see I made a nice little keepsake for you. Remember it well as we won the hard fought battle against flutters. She was indeed a formidible opponent, but sadly no match for the main character. On behalf of team twilight, TeamFluttershy, we congratulate you.post-28131-0-51892300-1405296752_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Congratulations to everyone involved in this spectacular event! What a ride it was! I was not involved from the beginning, which was a dire shame, and only started posting regularly in the Twilight vs Pinkie round, by which point things were really starting to pick up.

Thanks especially to the Pinkie and Fluttershy fans, my most honourable opponents. You fought hard and fought well, and the chosen ponies of you and everyone else are equally deserving of victory.

Anyways, I believe I promised an essay, though please excuse my sleep-deprived brain for any errors as I write to a fictional character. :lol:

Dear Princess Celestia,

The past few days have been part of one of the most riveting competitions I have ever been part of, and I'm glad I decided to take part. I was able to meet like-minded people on the forums, as well as discover new ways of looking at other people's preferences.

At times some people's competitive sides flared and emotions ran high, but in the end this competition was just meant for fun. I may have taken it a bit too seriously at times, but by the finish everyone participating had helped to create a fantastic event that brought the community together. Twilight's victory does not diminish the awesomeness of the other characters we all know and love.

~Archi

Edited by Archi the Atmomancer
  • Brohoof 7

For the handful of team twilight who didn't see I made a nice little keepsake for you. Remember it well as we won the hard fought battle against flutters. She was indeed a formidible opponent, but sadly no match for the main character. On behalf of team twilight, TeamFluttershy, we congratulate you.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thank you thank you I love it!

• Brohoof 2

Fellow bronies... lend me your ears...

Before I start my thank yous, I want to first congratulate all 32 ponies for qualifying for the 2014 MLPF World Cup. It was eight weeks of battling for all the characters during qualifying, and it takes quite an effort to consistently get all the votes needed to win the important fixtures. Every pony who made it to the MLPF World Cup should already be proud of the accomplishment. Their fan-bases are enormous, evidenced by the tight matches we’ve seen throughout the tournament and the passion of every fan who’s participated immensely in this tournament.

I also want to congratulate the winner of the 2014 MLPF World Cup: Twilight Sparkle. It took a lot of determination from her fans, but she got it done in suspenseful fashion! As such, she has been rewarded with a banner of her own and a trophy with her name etched on it. I would also like to congratulate the runner up, Fluttershy. Like the winner, it took a lot of effort and passion to get her this far, having faced stiff competition from the other characters.

Among the first people I would like to thank are YOU PEOPLE! You guys voted during the tournaments and placed all those really cute pictures of your favourite characters! If you guys didn’t vote or post pictures, this tournament would never have lifted off. You guys came together as a forum, made new friendships, and strengthened old ones among your own fan base.

Nevertheless, there are particular people I would like to thank. Among them are the moderators. Without them, the tournament would have never gotten the press and coverage it needed to get as many people on the forums involved as possible. In particular, I would like to thank @Artemis and for allowing me to have announcements about the World Cup, to pin the thread, and to have a banner dedicated to the World Cup. Without you two, the tournament wouldn’t have been as successful as it is now.

I would also like to thank the many artists who contributed heavily to the World Cup. I want to thank @Shift for the World Cup banner, @Zhooves for the World Cup trophy design, team fonts and logos, @PE Brony, , , , , @Commander Hurricane, @Jokuc, and @Doctor XFizzle for making all the flags for the characters, and for making the tables for the World Cup. I also want to thank @Budding Night for her beautiful mascot design of Pyralis, the perfect model of unity in diversity. Last but certainly not least, I would like to thank @Stellafera for her World Cup Groups video for the Opening Ceremony and the World Cup Closing Ceremony video. They were both wonderful that introduced all the characters and flags, along with all the people who made the World Cup possible. All of you should give yourselves pats on the back for all those wonderful designs that drive the people onward. You all are a sample of just how talented bronydom is, and in no other fandom have I ever witnessed such an outflow of talent.

There are also the members I want to thank for being involved with commentary, namely @PE Brony, @Frostgage, and . You guys played a big role in keeping everybody up to date with the matches and keeping up the healthy suspension that we needed from said matches. You guys also did great keeping the peace when it was needed and to promote positive participation in the process.

I would also like to thank the members I interviewed for the character profiles that led up to the World Cup. You were the testament of the fan-dom as a whole, and you all shone brilliantly at the questions. It was a great way to build up the excitement to the World Cup and you were all models regarding healthy participation in the World Cup. I also realize that you were busy with life and had other obligations to deal with, and for that, I am even more grateful that you all took the time to answer the questions for me.

There’s still so many thanks to go around as I have to thank all the people who have helped me through my emotional and physical stresses throughout the whole organization process. @Wingnut, @Dsanders, @Artemis, , @SCS, and are just some of the many people I want to thank for listening to my rants and being there for me even when I had a lot of other things to worry about. I could go on all day with this list, with @lincolnshirepony , @Sugar Cube , , @ghostfacekiller39 , and many more...

I also want to thank everyone whose quotes got on the World Cup Closing Ceremony video. Without you guys, the World Cup would not have been as exciting as it was.

Finally, I just wanted to thank the forums overall for letting me hold the tournament in the first place. It was truly a dream come true to be able to host something of this magnitude anywhere. I’ve always loved to play with World Cup tables and statistics, which is probably why I’m in graduate school. You guys gave me that chance to play with the math and to be able to eliminate participants based on their “merit” and witnessing a lot of cracking matches.

I also wanted to say that another one of the tournament’s main goals was to let people come together as one big family to cheer on for their favourite character like the football fans do for the FIFA World Cup. In Canada, I saw people hoisting flags of Croatia, Italy, England, and even Ghana and Nigeria for the FIFA World Cup. I wanted to see people proud of their favourite character and to show how much they love MLP’s rich character development and beautiful designs. To see that goal fulfilled over the course of the World Cup has left me in tears.

Thank you guys. Really. I’m not sure where I’ll be in the next 4 years, but one thing’s for certain: I don’t think I’ll be hosting it again. Graduate school is knocking on my door, and I can imagine working hard on my PhD in 4 years rather than have free time. Just hosting it once was already memorable enough for me.  I’ll be sure to teach it to someone should the forums want such a tournament again in 4 years. Anyway, enough of the future. Thanks guys. The World Cup was a huge success.

Coming up... World Cup awards!

• Brohoof 25

(edited)

Dear Princess Celestia,

THAT ... WAS .... EPIC. During that last three months, I learned a lot about your subjects. Being new to this world you rule over, I just started to understand the depth and breadth of the creativity I found. This contest brought with it a deeper appreciation of each of your more well known subjects. The fervor of those that watch them with great interest made the formally unknown Ponies known. With others I had been invited to see deeper into their character. I learned that even a young filly who cannot fly, may possess in her the courage and support to best even a great Sun Goddess like yourself. I learned that if you get too close to M.A. Larson, you may just wind up with wings. I learned of the Glorious nature of the Goddess of Fabulosity and her many historic acts on the world. From saving the Sea Ponies, to defeating the evil and mischievous Tom the rock ... she reigned supreme in my heart ... if not at the podium. I learned that in the end, the most ardent support can help you claim victory. Most importantly, I learned that you can find fun and enjoyment hidden in even the most simple of concepts. It was a blast.

Your faithful student,

Jeric

Thank you all.

To Princess Twilight Sparkle ... you have earned this. It fits. You have a great number of fans. Mary Sue you ain't.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 10

(edited)

Dear Princess Celestia

Holy Luna, Man this was the best World Cup ever! I made so many friends and bonds throughout the three months, he'll, even got some gig asks! This was great. And although my cousin Pinky Pie didn't win, you should be really really proud of your mate Twilight! She flight long and hard and she really earned this. She taught me to never give up, even when The odds aren't in your favor. I think I can really use this lesson sometime soon...

Until the next~

Shadis Pie Hooves

Aka

Dj Shadowhoof

Edited by Dj Shadowhoof
  • Brohoof 3

I think someone's been left out of the thank yous! :o Everypony, we need to remember to thank the person who made it all possible! Spending many hours working hard on organising, planning and preparing, @Sterling Crimson needs the biggest thank you of all! Without him we wouldn't have had the fun and excitement of the Pony World Cup! Thanks for the fun! Thanks for the hard work!

THANK YOU STERLING!!! :D

• Brohoof 14

(edited)

Dear Princess Celestia...

Yes it is true, Scootaloo isn't my favorite pony, but I don't care if she isn't. She is in my top three now with Fluttershy and Sunshower Raindrops. I owe that to this very MLPF World cup. I just couldn't believe how close the battle was, I honestly thought she was going to lose. That did not stop me from voting for her though something just made me want to help her. Then the intense comment battle began. I started advertising the battle in the forum games hoping to at-least give Scootaloo a tie. The whole time her character started to grow on me. The whole battle with Celestia fitted perfectly with how the Writers of MLP described Scootaloo. She is an unpopular filly Pegasus who can't fly with no talents other than her scooter skills. She was the underdog, and it was fitting to have her fight against what many consider the strongest pony in all of Equestria. I picked up my A game and started a huge Scootaloo advertisement campaign to try and convince the other members of the forum to see what I saw in Scootaloo. Not only did Scoots manage to tie Celestia, but she even beat her at the end. Scootaloo wining reminded me of how even though she was the biggest underdog in the show. She still manged to accomplish her goals. While she still cant fly, she gained something even better. A sister named Rainbow Dash. I cant wait for Scootaloo's next battles. Even if she battles my favorite pony (Fluttershy) I will still vote for Scootaloo, just because of what this battle taught me.

Edited by Sunshower Raindrops
  • Brohoof 6

Dear Princess Celestia: 

I feel honored to get to write to you. Anyways, today I learned that being a good sport always is the best way to go. By being a good sport and keeping level headed through tournaments like these, you will sure have the best fun. Sure, Pinkie might not have taken the gold this time, but I am so happy of how good she did and how well her fans did in the voting and campaigning. There were moments where I thought Pinkie wouldn't stand a chance like in the one against AJ but she managed to pull through with that fight. I was shocked since I knew AJ had a lot of fans. Twilight defiantly does deserve the win if she manages to pull out surprising victories against both Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. So yeah, even though best party pony didn't win, the world cup was still a blast.

Your Student. Chikorita.

• Brohoof 5

i'll always be a good sport (since i'm not used to winning anything) but i'm still terrebly sad Fluttershy didn't win so...

attachicon.gifsad fluttershy 1.png

attachicon.gifsad fluttershy 2.png

attachicon.gifsad fluttershy 3.png

i'm sorry twilight, its just that, i was so close to winning i *sob* i'm sorry!

attachicon.gifsad fluttershy 4.jpg

Hey hey! You did a great job supporting Fluttershy! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise mate~

You shouldn't feel sad. Feel proud that you made it this far. Just think, in the next four years, it might be flutters on that pedestal, hmm?

• Brohoof 3