Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one who DOESN'T like it when videogames are challenging?

Sazama Ichida

The only "impressive" thing I've ever done in any videogame is beating Sephiroth in KH1. I honestly don't think that's really worthy of being called impressive though. Ironically I can't beat him in KH2. People say he's easier in that game.

Excuse me for a second...

:P  BWAHAHAHA!

(edited)

I don't particularly enjoy hard games, either. I like sandbox-type games the most, where I'm allowed to explore and discover new game mechanics at my own pace. What I like in games is freedom, not challenges. I have plenty of challenges in real life to deal with.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

Excuse me for a second...

:P  BWAHAHAHA!

Are you saying this feat was impressive or wasn't? I can't tell.

But anyway as bad as I am at games too easy is virtually non-existent with me. If I was playing a game where everyone and everything died in one hit THEN it would be too easy...

But anyway as bad as I am at games too easy is virtually non-existent with me. If I was playing a game where everyone and everything died in one hit THEN it would be too easy...

He is saying its something to be impreesed with.

Sephiroth in KH2 is one of the easiest bosses is what I'm saying.

I like it when games have difficulty settings. I usually pick something toward the middle if I can. I like to beat the games, but I hate it when it feels like the game is just holding your hand. 

(edited)

YOU THINK ZELDA AND MARIO ARE HARD AND UNFORGIVING?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fuck yes...

You're dead in only a maximum of 2 hits in Mario. And I couldn't beat Ocarina of Time because I got lost and was stuck on one of those stupid minigames where you have to play one of those songs exactly right...

Pokemon and Fire Emblem Awakening and Wii Punch Out are pretty much the only franchises by Nintendo that I can beat. That's why I prefer Sony. Their games are nowhere near as hard. At least in my experience.

How good are you at analyzing patterns? Once you establish patterns, video games become really easy.

I don't guess I'm TOO bad at it. I eventually noticed the patterns of the fighters in Wii Punch Out and beat it because of that.

Edited by Asbel Lhant
  • Brohoof 1

Sometimes I like medium difficulty, sometimes I like a bit more challenging setting. I don't like settings or games that are overly easy or overly hard. The only series I like that is generally considered hard is the Ninja Gaiden series. But in all honesty, that series isn't too hard. Just challenging.

On Normal at least...

I wouldnt call dark souls unforgiving. Id say it doesnt hold your hand and is a learn by death experiance but it is a challagne. I like them because of the warm tingle you get when you finnally beat them. Except for ninja gaiden which is hard for thebsakebof being hard.

I wouldn't say Ninja Gaiden is hard for the sake of being hard. The 3D Ninja Gaiden games have an easy difficulty setting (albeit, in two of them the Easy setting is rather insulting). Plus, I've heard that the reason for the challenging gameplay is because the player is supposed to be as good as the main protagonist, Ryu Hayabusa (which, admittedly, I'm not). And then there's Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. Easiest Ninja Gaiden game ever. Still a fun game, tough.

By the way, your reason for liking Dark Souls is one of the reasons I like Ninja Gaiden so much.

I cannot fucking believe I'm the only one who finds the Mario games difficult...

You're dead in only 2 FUCKING HITS...And unless you get a mushroom it's only ONE...FUCKING HELL MAN...

HOW ARE THESE GAMES EASIER THAN DONKEY KONG?!?!?!?! HOW!?!?!?!? THEY ARE EVERY BIT AS RIDICULOUSLY HARD!!!

I cannot fucking believe I'm the only one who finds the Mario games difficult...

You're dead in only 2 FUCKING HITS...And unless you get a mushroom it's only ONE...FUCKING HELL MAN...

HOW ARE THESE GAMES EASIER THAN DONKEY KONG?!?!?!?! HOW!?!?!?!? THEY ARE EVERY BIT AS RIDICULOUSLY HARD!!!

Because hits until death /= difficulty. You died in two hits in Mario, but it's not a hard game. I mean, like all games it seems hard at first but after figuring out the mechanics and recognizing what you need to do to beat particular enemies it's no more challenging than any game from that time. Hey, a good chunk of kids in the 90's managed (myself included) so it's not impossible.

And I think we've already established you're going to be biased on just how 'hard' a particular game is, considering your admitted lack of proficiency thereof.

Those and sonic both kinda come down to tells. The tops of enemies ar 98% of the time safe so as long as you understand were an attack is going to be its pretty easy to dodge and then counter.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the Mario game actually some of them are brutal but some of them are a lot easier. The Super Mario Galaxy games and The Lost Levels will really kick your ass, Super Mario 64 has moments in the game that will really push you to the limits but nothing compared to the Galaxy games or The Lost Levels. Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 are a bit of a toss up, Super Mario World is slightly easier while most of the Super Mario DS and 3DS games are surprisingly easy.

Sometimes I like medium difficulty, sometimes I like a bit more challenging setting. I don't like settings or games that are overly easy or overly hard. The only series I like that is generally considered hard is the Ninja Gaiden series. But in all honesty, that series isn't too hard. Just challenging.

On Normal at least...

I wouldn't say Ninja Gaiden is hard for the sake of being hard. The 3D Ninja Gaiden games have an easy difficulty setting (albeit, in two of them the Easy setting is rather insulting). Plus, I've heard that the reason for the challenging gameplay is because the player is supposed to be as good as the main protagonist, Ryu Hayabusa (which, admittedly, I'm not). And then there's Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. Easiest Ninja Gaiden game ever. Still a fun game, tough.

By the way, your reason for liking Dark Souls is one of the reasons I like Ninja Gaiden so much.

Badly said on my part. I addore the ninja gaiden and dead or alive series. I beat all 3 nintendo ones and beat the xbox one on the hardest difficulty before black came out. I just see then as games who stay hard because of their lineage and not really for anything else.

It depends on the Mario game actually some of them are brutal but some of them are a lot easier. The Super Mario Galaxy games and The Lost Levels will really kick your ass, Super Mario 64 has moments in the game that will really push you to the limits but nothing compared to the Galaxy games or The Lost Levels. Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 are a bit of a toss up, Super Mario World is slightly easier while most of the Super Mario DS and 3DS games are surprisingly easy.

*Cough*super mario rpg*cough*

Uh...

My favorite games are:

Tekken (any of them)
Grand Theft Auto (ditto)

Gran Turismo (ditto)

and Pokemon (Ditto - ha, pun)...

I would say that their difficulty levels are medium.  

Basically, I think there are plenty enough video games for both people who enjoy difficult and easy ones (i.e. 'pro' vs. 'casual', etc.) that no one really needs to complain.

But yeah, I mean, I've been playing games since I was a little kid, from the NES era onward, so I know a lot of my favorite games tend to be older or retro-styled ones that in general are quite difficult.  I actually really do love a nice challenge from a game like Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man games on the NES where it's very challenging but with practice you FEEL yourself improve and can be proud of yourself.  I think more modern games like La-Mulana and the Dark Souls series capture that quite well.  Possibly Monster Hunter as well.

But then you get games like Super Meat Boy or I Wanna Be the Guy or whatever other "ULTRA HARDCORE" modern games for ONLY THE PROEST OF PRO PLAYERS and it kinda becomes a bit silly.  I like Meat Boy pretty well but it gets to a point at which it's like "is this really 'fun' in the challenging way older games were, or is it just being difficult for the sake of difficulty and nothing else"?  I mean it becomes rote memorization, nothing like the actual skill-sharpening (plus SOME memorization, but not nearly so much required thank goodness) that even the hardest well-made older games have.  I think the recent Shovel Knight as well as A Link Between Worlds are the perfect examples at to how to tackle a good retro game; the original game for both those titles are quite accessibly not-too-hard even for gamers perhaps like the topic creator here, who just want a fun, relaxing time, but then after you beat the game you can opt for a much harder difficulty that challenges even old pros like me should you feel like it.  Just one of the many reasons both of those games are triple-A, must-own titles even for people who didn't grow up back when the games they're based around were all the rage, imho.

*Cough*super mario rpg*cough*

I mostly see that as having mid level difficultly but I suppose even with all the Mario games out there I am a bit embarrassed for forgetting that one, especially because it is one of my favorites.

Those and sonic both kinda come down to tells. The tops of enemies ar 98% of the time safe so as long as you understand were an attack is going to be its pretty easy to dodge and then counter.

Well I've always been terrible at dodging no wonder I suck...And I only beat Sonic 3 because of how you always live when you get hit as long as you've got at least one ring...

Well I've always been terrible at dodging no wonder I suck...And I only beat Sonic 3 because of how you always live when you get hit as long as you've got at least one ring...

You're starting to make me think gamers have super-human hand-eye coordination or something, all that stuff just came so naturally I didn't really think about it. I guess I'm biased though since all my friends are gamers...

You're starting to make me think gamers have super-human hand-eye coordination or something, all that stuff just came so naturally I didn't really think about it. I guess I'm biased though since all my friends are gamers...

Funny you should say that. I feel like literally every gamer but me has lightning-fast super ninja reflexes...

Because hits until death /= difficulty. You died in two hits in Mario, but it's not a hard game. I mean, like all games it seems hard at first but after figuring out the mechanics and recognizing what you need to do to beat particular enemies it's no more challenging than any game from that time. Hey, a good chunk of kids in the 90's managed (myself included) so it's not impossible.

And I think we've already established you're going to be biased on just how 'hard' a particular game is, considering your admitted lack of proficiency thereof.

But they don't even give you a goddamn life bar...That's fucking ridiculous...

But they don't even give you a goddamn life bar...That's fucking ridiculous...

Well, there's nothing inherent to game-design that says you have to have a health bar  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny you should say that. I feel like literally every gamer but me has lightning-fast super ninja reflexes...

Honestly i think it comes down to when you started gaming and how you took to it. Me and my brother started gaming around the same time and i took more to it, he isnt terrible but he doesnt really fall into my league of gaming.