Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Spike take the Inspiration Manifestation spell?

ggg-2

Plot device aside, why did Spike take the Inspiration Manifestation spell, when he could have just as easily just asked Discord, who was reformed by this time, to help Rarity out?

First, Spike knew that Discord was not the most reliable character. And he also promised Rarity not to tell anyone.

Furthermore, I think that Spike cannot use the summoning spell that Twilight used in the first episode of that season.

Finally, Spike has a crush for Rarity. So, he wanted to find the solution himself so that Rarity would really notice it, if you see what I mean.

I mean, if you love someone, you would do anything for him/her instead of just asking for help and relying on someone else.

What I said made sense, right ? :lol:

• Brohoof 4

Everyone so far has already summed up my thoughts on the matter. Also, Spike is Twilight's assistant. Of course it's not out of the realm of possibility that she would have rubbed off on him at least a little. Twilight has a tendency to look to books to solve problems, so it's not unreasonable to believe that Spike might do the same. What intrigues me more, is not that Spike chose to get a spell book, but that it's an entire book, yet we've only seen one spell from it. What else was in that book? Of course, we'll never know, now that Spike swallowed it.

It has been known that Spike has had the hots for Rarity ever since he first saw her so he took it to impress her and also partly because he felt a bit bad for her with her being in a creative slump and all.

Finally, Spike has a crush for Rarity. So, he wanted to find the solution himself so that Rarity would really notice it, if you see what I mean.

I mean, if you love someone, you would do anything for him/her instead of just asking for help and relying on someone else.

This. He was trying to find a solution by himself.

It has been known that Spike has had the hots for Rarity ever since he first saw her so he took it to impress her and also partly because he felt a bit bad for her with her being in a creative slump and all.

Right. Even before the viewer sees Rarity on screen in the first episode you hear Spike calling her beautiful.

Plot device aside, why did Spike take the Inspiration Manifestation spell, when he could have just as easily just asked Discord, who was reformed by this time, to help Rarity out?

No one besides Fluttershy seemed to really trust Discord at this point.

• 11 months later...

What Boiteporte said + the fact that Spike has only been alive since the events of The Cutie Mark Chronicles (IMO, about 10 years before the pilot).  He is still a child & has a limited understanding of long term consequences.  There have been other examples of this in the series.