Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Five Nights at Freddy's

Jon the VGNerd

Have you seen the movie with the room? 1841 something... Samuel Jackson is in it. There's this hotel this jackass tries to prove as a fake attraction. Turns out the room and all the ordeals it causes are real. Owner of the thing is smart enough to have closed it forbidding to his power anyone of going there. Smart guy if you ask me... Unlike the owner of this store that could have just easily repurposed the whole thing to something else. Or even hired a priest to purge it... All the plot convenience is kinda ruining it for me... Plus as i said i am kinda not scared by animatronics... They ruin the "fear" part with how ridiculous they are. Wonna make me scared? Make the Mirrors movie into a sort of game... If you want to know they are sort of the same. Just replace the monsters with mirrors. You should read "5 nights at Anon's" at fimfiction.net its like this only with sex driven mares. Waaaaay more awesome.

The movie is called Room 1408 and I have not seen it but it has good reviews. I have seen the Mirrors though and I liked it. However, I am not interested in sex driven mares.

The thing is that Five Nights at Freddy's may not be scary as such but it is hard and I do like a challenge. 

So you find no value in the difficulty of the game at all? it HAS to be scary to be any kind of enjoyable in the least?

Wonna try hard games? Go and play Myst series. Heard they are tons of hard. Ooh Darksouls comes too...

Its not that its difficult. Slenderman is difficult in a way too.

However there is no personal involvement in this from me. I am finding it difficult to immerse myself into this situation because simply i consider myself pro-active.

Want hard things? I heard Homestuck is supposedly famous because its hard.

Its not scary simply because it falls to me under the "jumper" category which is surprising true... Creepy that depends on what your eyes have seen... And scary? Not really... Sure there's a fear of death but that exists in all games. Commonly as "Game Over" screen. Thing is though none tells you what happens because the hero lost. None takes over... You dont get to see the consequences of your failure so you as a player can later "fear" something. You just... Fail. You just feel the appeal this game has to your instinct for survival. If so yes... It's "scary".

Try now to imagine "Freddy's" being your home... With your helpless daughter. They've come for the houses around you... You are in a rural area no help for miles... You have to last five days against them till they run out of battery... How much scarier is this? To me a lot.

In general this game just lacks the effort in all areas to get me invested. And i really don't appreciate all the attention these games get. People no longer play them because they enjoy them... They play them for views/minute counts in the youtuber subscriber race. Gg...

Derailed ik but... I am done.

The movie is called Room 1408 and I have not seen it but it has good reviews. I have seen the Mirrors though and I liked it. However, I am not interested in sex driven mares.

The thing is that Five Nights at Freddy's may not be scary as such but it is hard and I do like a challenge.

Darksouls, Myst series, every adventure game ever... Are you telling me you've never slided the difficulty bar of any game to "Insane"? The thing is that if you did that with every game in the first time all games would be hard. So that raises the question. Did you? Why didnt you? Why did you enjoy games with no difficulty slider?

Wonna try hard games? Go and play Myst series. Heard they are tons of hard. Ooh Darksouls comes too...

Its not that its difficult. Slenderman is difficult in a way too.

However there is no personal involvement in this from me. I am finding it difficult to immerse myself into this situation because simply i consider myself pro-active.

Want hard things? I heard Homestuck is supposedly famous because its hard.

Its not scary simply because it falls to me under the "jumper" category which is surprising true... Creepy that depends on what your eyes have seen... And scary? Not really... Sure there's a fear of death but that exists in all games. Commonly as "Game Over" screen. Thing is though none tells you what happens because the hero lost. None takes over... You dont get to see the consequences of your failure so you as a player can later "fear" something. You just... Fail. You just feel the appeal this game has to your instinct for survival. If so yes... It's "scary".

Try now to imagine "Freddy's" being your home... With your helpless daughter. They've come for the houses around you... You are in a rural area no help for miles... You have to last five days against them till they run out of battery... How much scarier is this? To me a lot.

In general this game just lacks the effort in all areas to get me invested. And i really don't appreciate all the attention these games get. People no longer play them because they enjoy them... They play them for views/minute counts in the youtuber subscriber race. Gg...

Derailed ik but... I am done.

I like how you can't play one hard thing because you played another hard thing.

Also, I play this game too. Where are my views? Where are my subs? Oh wait, I don't have any. because I find value in a $5 game having lots of content and challenging me. Because Night 7 with the A.I. cranked to 20 is brutal as shit and I appreciate the challenge.

YOU personally may not like it but don't pretend your opinion here is fact. It's not a "boring game", you're just bored by it. There is a difference there. The difference is you dismiss all the good things about a game and decide that since these things don't actually exist, that nobody could POSSIBLY like this game sincerely. And that's where you are wrong, because at it's core, FNaF is a well made strategy game, and you're letting shallow things like "It's not spoopy enuff" basically tell you the game is objectively terrible in every possible way.

• Brohoof 1

Darksouls, Myst series, every adventure game ever... Are you telling me you've never slided the difficulty bar of any game to "Insane"? The thing is that if you did that with every game in the first time all games would be hard. So that raises the question. Did you? Why didnt you? Why did you enjoy games with no difficulty slider?

Stop bombarding me with questions, I get defensive when people do that.

To answer your questions in order.

1) No, that is not what I said. 

2) Yes, I did. I like it when games are hard as long as they stay fair. In some games, putting the slider on "insane" means that the computer starts cheating and I hate it.

About Five Nights at Freddy's, I really like it because it gives a challenge but not just because of that. It is also a game with original game mechanics Besides. I have a lot of triple A games. Sometimes, I just want to try out something different.

• Brohoof 1

It is also a game with original game mechanics

Opulent call it different

Once you (in general) strip off the internet-colored glasses and look past it's horror theme, it's a by-the-numbers resource management game that's punishment for failing IS a jump scare.

Not calling it bad, it's just...y'know...nothing super mega original.

The question is, is he a spooky skeleton? :3

Naturally Edited by Dattebayo

HOW IS THIS GAME STILL FAMOUS? I mean, I liked it, but there's nothing special or very scary after the 3rd night, the creepy factor is based on just surprise, and that gets old fast, so get the jumpscares.

• Brohoof 1

HOW IS THIS GAME STILL FAMOUS? I mean, I liked it, but there's nothing special or very scary after the 3rd night, the creepy factor is based on just surprise, and that gets old fast, so get the jumpscares.

That's the internet for you, friend.

how is it not scary the 4th night?

After seeing someone on Youtube playing this game last week I felt interested to try out the demo. Even though I was terrified I couldn't resist going back each time to give it another try. 

Got the full game a few days ago and after building up some courage I was finally able to play this more seriously. Completing one night every day. What I find intriguing about this game is that it creates a feeling of helplessness and paranoia that make this a pretty unique experience. Each time I want to quit I find myself going back again and surviving a night gives a satisfying feeling.

Survived night 5 earlier today. I admit it was probably just because of luck. Freddy never came off his stage in night 3, 4 and 5. Foxy only made one dash at me in night 4 (was able to block it), and probably because I forgot to check on him within 10-20 seconds.

I worry what night 6 will bring. Never thought I would say it, but I'm actually somewhat looking forward to it.

Edited by JH24

Stop bombarding me with questions, I get defensive when people do that.

I am not, or maybe how am i supposed to know that?

1) No, that is not what I said. 

That was a rhetorical question.

2) Yes, I did. I like it when games are hard as long as they stay fair. In some games, putting the slider on "insane" means that the computer starts cheating and I hate it.

But isn't that just another bar above "Really Hard"? If you can handle cheating doesn't this mean you can handle hard?

About Five Nights at Freddy's, I really like it because it gives a challenge but not just because of that. It is also a game with original game mechanics Besides. I have a lot of triple A games. Sometimes, I just want to try out something different.

Good for you truly... but it just seems to me these kind of games have just attracted attention because of the attention high people give them.

I like how you can't play one hard thing because you played another hard thing.

Don't skew my words okay? I am saying that it's not the only hard game out there. Probably there are harder.

Also, I play this game too. Where are my views? Where are my subs? Oh wait, I don't have any. because I find value in a $5 game having lots of content and challenging me. Because Night 7 with the A.I. cranked to 20 is brutal as shit and I appreciate the challenge.

Let me just ask you one question. How did you get into the game? Did you learn from a friend? Where did that guy learn this from? The chain goes on until almost 80% of this fame the games get is of famous gamers. And let's face it... gaming industry in youtube sells a LOT.

YOU personally may not like it but don't pretend your opinion here is fact.

The only fact i stated is that it's not scary... in fact most things we refer to as "scary" are simply surprising more than they are scary. Now this is subjective at times. It all depends on the individual.

It's not a "boring game", you're just bored by it.

This is where you are wrong. I am saying the jumpscare tactic is boring and cliche. The reason why i can't really play this game myself is because it has some critical flaws and plotholes that i hamper my immersion into the game.

1)Why and how the hell does a restaurant have things that work on battery rather than direct current electricity?

2)The reason why the hole game happens is because of an error in programming. If someone made such an error there would be tons of lawsuits ((i am spelling it wrong aren't i?)) awaiting him/her.

3)Not to mention that because i am studying in a university for Computer Engineering i am a programmer. I would feel ashamed, guilt, and would kill myself if i made such a critical flaw in programming.

4)The job doesn't pay well... only desperate people would do it.

5)Why do they even need a guard? Who's going to steal from mass murdering animatronics?

6)How the hell does none notice all those stuffed people in the empty suits?

7)Why doesn't the restaurant have alarms and stuff? The cameras don't count...

That is that... for me that is. If you wonna play it sure... but don't hype yourself overly about this... it's really mostly hype that annoys me.

Edited by NioniosTheRenegade

Wow, that was intense. My heart is pounding. After 22 tries finally able to beat night 6, and then only by barely surviving Freddy's "song" after the power went out. Screen had already become dark. It wasn't pretty.

Freddy and Foxy were merciless at night 6. I tried to balance them out by checking Foxy and Freddy after completing a pattern. (Left light/right light/Freddy/left light/right light/Foxy, etc.)

But it didn't work, Foxy always dashed around 3/4 AM and Freddy left stage around 1/2 AM. Combined with Bonny and Chica going into overdrive and camping the doors I lost control every time.

Around the 13th try I noticed that my approach wasn't working. Foxy becomes aggressive later on when I'm low on power and Freddy aggressive too early. I tried changing the amount of times I would watch both of them. When trying left/right/Freddy/left/right /Freddy/left/right/Foxy things went better but they still moved and made me lose control. 

Eventually I tried left/right/Freddy/left/right/Freddy/left/right/Freddy/left/right/Foxy and this worked. From this point on Freddy never left the stage and Foxy stayed at his place, only peeking out of the curtain. I still lost matches later on against Bonnie/Chica. (Either jamming or camping my doors) But at least they were more manageable with Freddy and Foxy staying in their places. 

Eventually I had some luck and survived until the 5 AM were I lost power and had that "dreaded" Freddy music and screen blackout.

Overall a fun game that had some very scary moments and experiences in a very unique way. Definitely its money worth. The scare factor has become less and the AI has become more predictable (but done very well) and it's really amazing what one person (Scott Cawthorne) has done with this game. Really hope there will be a sequel.

Looking forward to play around with the AI settings. I was surprised to read that even on the 6th night, the AI settings were around 12-13 max. I'm scared to think what level 20 would do.

Edited by JH24

*Gets fired at the end of Night 7.*

I had no idea. But yeah, I think I would definitely celebrate. Best news ever. :)

Well...

In your opinion, which of the animatronics was the scariest?

For me personally Bonnie. Even at night 6 I still felt myself jump a little whenever he would appear in my door. I never could shake that feeling. Also the way he looks in the camera when he's just outside and in the supply closet creeps me out. Scott nailed that look perfectly.

Chica is creepy but also a bit funny in a certain way. Got used to her the fastest after Foxy.

Foxy, would it be weird to say I actually liked his design instead of being scary?

Freddy was the coolest, loved those glowing eyes in the dark whenever he's in a room. For some time I was the most uneasy about him because he's the most unpredictable, but after succeeding in keeping him in place he became less scary. Still the coolest of the bunch though.

He's a kind of gang leader. First sending out his "minions", and if they fail he'll try to take matters into his own hands.

Edited by JH24

Let me just ask you one question. How did you get into the game? Did you learn from a friend? Where did that guy learn this from? The chain goes on until almost 80% of this fame the games get is of famous gamers. And let's face it... gaming industry in youtube sells a LOT.
I actually learned about the game because Scott Cawthon also made another game that is pretty rad in itself: The Desolate Room. When you know someone does good work, it's not hard to find out when he makes new stuff.

The only fact i stated is that it's not scary... in fact most things we refer to as "scary" are simply surprising more than they are scary. Now this is subjective at times. It all depends on the individual.  
There is a contradiction there...

This is where you are wrong. I am saying the jumpscare tactic is boring and cliche. The reason why i can't really play this game myself is because it has some critical flaws and plotholes that i hamper my immersion into the game
 You know there is more to the game than just jumpscare, right? That's probably why you can't like this game. Because in your eyes, that's literally 100% of the entire game at all times. And YOU would be wrong about that.

I actually really love this game for it's challenge, as well as unique setting and mostly-unique mechanics. I also love the lore. And yeah, I agree the jumpscares are boring and cliche. But that's only a small part of a very interesting and fun game. The fact that this is all made by one guy and that it's only $5 compounds all this to make it a very popular game.

There is a contradiction there...
What i am saying is that it isn't scary for me for that reason. However the definition of scary is different for each individual. I've tried to be objective in the definition of "scary" for me but i am just jumping right in and saying i'm not an expert on definitions saying what you would say "That this is just you."

You know there is more to the game than just jumpscare, right? That's probably why you can't like this game. Because in your eyes, that's literally 100% of the entire game at all times. And YOU would be wrong about that.
Stop screwing my words. The "scary" part of it is just jumpscare. The game itself is not. It is creepy, but that doesn't mean it's scary as well. I don't like the way it wants to be scary.

I also love the lore.
The lore is fine but... you gotta consider what i said about the plotholes i thought of. I mean as "me" i just can't get behind the "Stuff you in a suit cause it's part of my programming" thing... that's all... Or at least most of it.

But that's only a small part of a very interesting and fun game. The fact that this is all made by one guy and that it's only $5 compounds all this to make it a very popular game.
Well i gotta give him that at least. He did it well enough. Maybe he'll make even better stuff later.

When people say this is scary are they taking the piss? This is the most mundane horror game I can remember seeing.

Eh du calme bro. It depends on what everyone has played.