Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Five Nights at Freddy's

Jon the VGNerd

I've only played 1 night so far. Eh,it's not bad, I did get a decent jump scare, but it's not legitimately scary.

I watched a walkthrough of this game on YouTube.

(It was one of those videos where the gamer's face was visible in the corner of the video so you can see his reactions and stuff).

None of the jump scares scared me. They were pretty predictable  >_>

Also, none of the characters frightened me... except for the bird. That thing made me say "Oh God! What the f*ck is that!?".

The suspense of constantly checking the empty rooms, however, did keep me engaged. 

Overall, I was dissapointed. People made this out to be so incredibly scary, and it really wasn't.

Edited by Royal Samurott

yeah @Royal Samurott, I watched NateWantsToBattle and now I'm trying the demo. It's free on IndieDB. But I got nervous just opening the demo, because it gave no loading indication when I press play.

@Royal Samurott,

Chica and Golden Freddy > everyone else in the Nightmare Fuel department.

See I always found Freddy Himself to be the scariest. Chica looks silly to me, honestly. And the fact that she's so slw for most of the game makes her not that threatning. Freddy on the other hand, once you hit night 5, is a terrifying motherfucker.

Watching a walkthrough really does not provide a good indication as to what it feels like to play it yourself.

Trust me.

No. I don't have to play it myself to get the proper experience.

The walkthrough had little to no talking, and it made me feel like as if I was in control due to the amount of game footage was shown versus the player himself.

Also, the player went through the entire game and beat it.

So, i'd say I experienced the game in the "proper" way. You don't have to tell someone that what they experienced how they experienced it wasn't good enough ^_^

After all, it's just a game. 

Edited by Royal Samurott

Dead Space is one of the most ridiculously non scary things I have ever played. 

It had absolutely no subtlety. It is the equivalent of child trying to scare you by throwing absurd amounts of tomato sauce at you and claiming that it is blood. 

It is very difficult to make a first person shooter scary because you always have a chance to defend yourself. I think the only FPS horror game that was successfully scary was Resident Evil 4 because there were several enemies you could not kill.

But that's the point... you CAN defend yourself. In most horror movies the protagonist is afraid to even fight back when he obviously could have done so and be done with the whole debacle a long time ago. The reason for staying in Freddy's as a guard is flimsy as is... i mean why? Do i have a blood contract that tells me to do this? Why don't i try to purge these things during the day? What a joke.

Edited by NioniosTheSilent

THANK YOU! Seriously though guys if you think this is scary you are wrong. Try playing "The Suffering" or "Dead Space" real fear right there cause this shits more realistic. I find this game to be hilarious to be honest more than scary. I am being chased by gigantic metalic teddy bears? I can only find THIS funny.

That's an invalid argument as fear is subjective.

I have explained in latter posts that disgust, suprise, and fear are NOT the same things. This game inspires suprise... not genuine fear.

For some people, like myself, it does actually inspire fear as the game plays on their paranoia. You're just sitting their waiting, trying to keep an eye them, however you can't watch all of them at once so you also have to rely on sound to see how close they are. You can hear them getting closer and closer and you are always frantically checking to see if they're outside your door or not with every sound. (this is my experience with the game anyway.) I'd say it relies on atmosphere as well as surprise inspiring genuine fear. Now whether you find that scary or not is all up to you but if you try to say that is factually not scary then you are wrong as there is no such thing as something being factually scary.

For some people, like myself, it does actually inspire fear as the game plays on their paranoia. You're just sitting their waiting, trying to keep an eye them, however you can't watch all of them at once so you also have to rely on sound to see how close they are. You can hear them getting closer and closer and you are always frantically checking to see if they're outside your door or not with every sound. (this is my experience with the game anyway.) I'd say it relies on atmosphere as well as surprise inspiring genuine fear. Now whether you find that scary or not is all up to you but if you try to say that is factually not scary then you are wrong as there is no such thing as something being factually scary.

It's paranoia, suprise, e.t.c. It's not fear. It's fear so long as you're immersed only. Which for me the game fails to do so. Once you get past immersion it's all just a matter of being surprised or not. Besides these good points you point out... they are just overhyped. I've seen better. Maybe for some this is the first game they played... it all depends on experience.

For me i had to face some endless nights when i was a kid. Endless nights in complete-total darkness. After some time the fear faded away. Just like for most it will after the first two plays. It's all just a big firework. To be honest i can't wait till everyone looks back and says "THAT WAS SCARY?" You can say this is a positive thing ((games will improve)) or the "spell" of the game dispelled.

I am a really paranoid person myself... but you won't have any reaction past flinching for me.

As mentioned before, fear is subjective. You might not find this game scary, but someone else might. And you cannot possibly say that they are wrong. If they find this game scary, they are not wrong.