Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Five Nights at Freddy's

Jon the VGNerd

Okay, first off let me say that I don't find this game very scary and a lot of it flies in the face of logic. Why?

1. While the atmosphere is pretty good and the animatronics look pretty creepy, there's no real buildup of dread. You don't actually feel scared of these robots, but your body is telling you you are. You just try to avoid jumpscares. Speaking of which...

2. Jumpscares are the cheapest way of scaring someone. I understand, they only appear as the game over condition. However, it's way too easy to get game over. Stop paying attention to one of the robots and let them sneak into your office, you die. Pay too much attention to Foxy, you die. Pay too little attention to Foxy, you die. Run out of power, you die. Keep the doors closed the entire time, you die. Trigger the Golden Freddy, you die (and the game crashes). Enter 1-9-8-7 on the Night 7 screen, you die (and the game crashes). Die, die, die, die, die.

3. The game's story makes absolutely no sense! Why do they not give security guards any EMP guns or any other method of defense from the robots? Where's the OSHA compliance? Why do doors take up electricity to stay shut? HOW did the restaurant stay open long enough after the Bite of '87 for those murders to happen, then long enough after the murders for parents to notice blood and mucus on the robots during shows, then long enough after that for the game to take place? Why are they only paying Mike $4/hour, which implies that the game takes place in 1990 as the minimum wage was around that then, but there's modern technology like tablets in there? Why does Mike keep coming back after the first night? How are the robots smart enough to know how to disable the lights and doors if they can't tell non-metal from metal? How can Bonnie and Freddy teleport?! In addition, so many things are left unexplained, brushed off to the side like they don't matter, such as (as I already mentioned) Freddy and Bonnie teleporting, the Golden Freddy, why Foxy activates at night even though he's been clearly abandoned, which robot was responsible for the Bite of '87 and the fate of the phone guy.

4. The "keep the servos from locking up" excuse for why the robots are put into free-roam mode at night makes no sense. Servos don't "lock up" from extended periods of disuse, they'd loosen. And even that would be overexertion.

5. The escape key closes the game. Really? You're just gonna fuck with my muscle memory like that?

I don't think I'll be spending my $5 on this game, not because it's 2spooky4me, but because I don't really find it scary and the plotholes are just... ugh. And here I thought the Twilight saga had the world's biggest plotholes.

• Brohoof 1

The "servos locking up " thing is the Phone Guy's interpretation of why they move at night. The truth is that the animatronics are haunted.

Actually, someone "leaked" a bloodstained internal memo given to Mike Schmidt on Tumblr (most likely given to them by the developer to increase the drama outside of the game) that had the "servos locking up" excuse too.

Actually, someone "leaked" a bloodstained internal memo given to Mike Schmidt on Tumblr (most likely given to them by the developer to increase the drama outside of the game) that had the "servos locking up" excuse too.

Yes, I guess this is the official explanation but it does not make any sense. The servos do not lock up if you switch an animatronic off for too long. 

The animatronic being haunted is therefore a much more logical and realistic explanation, lol.

Yes, I guess this is the official explanation but it does not make any sense. The servos do not lock up if you switch an animatronic off for too long. 

The animatronic being haunted is therefore a much more logical and realistic explanation, lol.

Exactly. So many things about the game's story do not make any sense.

Okay, first off let me say that I don't find this game very scary and a lot of it flies in the face of logic. Why?

1. While the atmosphere is pretty good and the animatronics look pretty creepy, there's no real buildup of dread. You don't actually feel scared of these robots, but your body is telling you you are. You just try to avoid jumpscares. Speaking of which...

2. Jumpscares are the cheapest way of scaring someone. I understand, they only appear as the game over condition. However, it's way too easy to get game over. Stop paying attention to one of the robots and let them sneak into your office, you die. Pay too much attention to Foxy, you die. Pay too little attention to Foxy, you die. Run out of power, you die. Keep the doors closed the entire time, you die. Trigger the Golden Freddy, you die (and the game crashes). Enter 1-9-8-7 on the Night 7 screen, you die (and the game crashes). Die, die, die, die, die.

3. The game's story makes absolutely no sense! Why do they not give security guards any EMP guns or any other method of defense from the robots? Where's the OSHA compliance? Why do doors take up electricity to stay shut? HOW did the restaurant stay open long enough after the Bite of '87 for those murders to happen, then long enough after the murders for parents to notice blood and mucus on the robots during shows, then long enough after that for the game to take place? Why are they only paying Mike $4/hour, which implies that the game takes place in 1990 as the minimum wage was around that then, but there's modern technology like tablets in there? Why does Mike keep coming back after the first night? How are the robots smart enough to know how to disable the lights and doors if they can't tell non-metal from metal? How can Bonnie and Freddy teleport?! In addition, so many things are left unexplained, brushed off to the side like they don't matter, such as (as I already mentioned) Freddy and Bonnie teleporting, the Golden Freddy, why Foxy activates at night even though he's been clearly abandoned, which robot was responsible for the Bite of '87 and the fate of the phone guy.

4. The "keep the servos from locking up" excuse for why the robots are put into free-roam mode at night makes no sense. Servos don't "lock up" from extended periods of disuse, they'd loosen. And even that would be overexertion.

5. The escape key closes the game. Really? You're just gonna fuck with my muscle memory like that?

I don't think I'll be spending my $5 on this game, not because it's 2spooky4me, but because I don't really find it scary and the plotholes are just... ugh. And here I thought the Twilight saga had the world's biggest plotholes.

Of course, when you think about it, a lot of horror games make no sense at all. Just look at Slenderman. Why the hell is that child there to collect some dumb pages? I would run away as fast as my legs could carry me

Honestly, I don't get it. The concept is interesting, but I don't really find it to be scary. It lives in the uncanny valley space where sure it's creepy, because the characters were designed to be that way, but as for genuinely frightening....nope.  And while it is an interesting concept, it doesn't have a whole lot of longevity to it, unless it's drastically changed.

Overall, looks like fun, but not really my thing.

THANK YOU! Seriously though guys if you think this is scary you are wrong. Try playing "The Suffering" or "Dead Space" real fear right there cause this shits more realistic. I find this game to be hilarious to be honest more than scary. I am being chased by gigantic metalic teddy bears? I can only find THIS funny.

THANK YOU! Seriously though guys if you think this is scary you are wrong. Try playing "The Suffering" or "Dead Space" real fear right there cause this shits more realistic. I find this game to be hilarious to be honest more than scary. I am being chased by gigantic metalic teddy bears? I can only find THIS funny.

I'm the opposite in truth. I haven't found Dead Space to be that scary, but Freddie's really scared the crap right out of me.

I think the reason why people get so scared is because its psychological you know your going to die your just waiting for that moment when you do die, also another note about it is that everything is generated randomly so as you play you have no idea of what is going to happen and when it will happen so you can't figure out the pattern of any of it its all a game of chance like Russian roulette

Since when has realism been a vital component of a good horror game? :confused:
  • Brohoof 1

IMO I don't think this game is that scary when you're watching someone else play it but when you play it for yourself it's a whole new level of scary. Just imagine playing this game on the Oculus Rift

@@ShadowPirateX, Since when does every horror game have to be filled with urban legends and be ridiculously low budget and all? Plus no quality... It's not "scary" it's "surprising". It never inspires genuine fear. It's like Lady Gaga trying to walk down the alley in a "Santa Claws" horror suit. It doesn't inspire fear to me... it inspires me to yell "KILL THIS SHIT WITH FIRE AND SEND IT TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL WHERE IT CAME FROM!" and then stomp it on the ground with all my motherfriggin rage. Most horror things don't scare me... they just make me want to kill the thing. That's why i wonder why most protagonists don't just deal with the monsters and run all the time. YOU KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO HUNT YOU SO WHATS THE POINT IN RUNNING? I am pro-active in horror stuff rather than passive aggressive. That's why to me it's a boring lame game. JUST KILL THE STUFF OR PURGE IT SOMEHOW! 

Since when does every horror game have to be filled with urban legends and be ridiculously low budget and all? Plus no quality... It's not "scary" it's "surprising". It never inspires genuine fear. It's like Lady Gaga trying to walk down the alley in a "Santa Claws" horror suit. It doesn't inspire fear to me... it inspires me to yell "KILL THIS SHIT WITH FIRE AND SEND IT TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL WHERE IT CAME FROM!" and then stomp it on the ground with all my motherfriggin rage. Most horror things don't scare me... they just make me want to kill the thing. That's why i wonder why most protagonists don't just deal with the monsters and run all the time. YOU KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO HUNT YOU SO WHATS THE POINT IN RUNNING? I am pro-active in horror stuff rather than passive aggressive. That's why to me it's a boring lame game. JUST KILL THE STUFF OR PURGE IT SOMEHOW! 

O_O

Wow, so much violence .

You know, a haunted metal animatronic is likely stronger than an average human. You cannot fight that without a weapon, and due to budget restrictions, you don't have access to one, lol. 

O_O

Wow, so much violence .

You know, a haunted metal animatronic is likely stronger than an average human. You cannot fight that without a weapon, and due to budget restrictions, you don't have access to one, lol.

Have you seen the movie with the room? 1841 something... Samuel Jackson is in it. There's this hotel this jackass tries to prove as a fake attraction. Turns out the room and all the ordeals it causes are real. Owner of the thing is smart enough to have closed it forbidding to his power anyone of going there. Smart guy if you ask me... Unlike the owner of this store that could have just easily repurposed the whole thing to something else. Or even hired a priest to purge it... All the plot convenience is kinda ruining it for me... Plus as i said i am kinda not scared by animatronics... They ruin the "fear" part with how ridiculous they are.

Wonna make me scared? Make the Mirrors movie into a sort of game... If you want to know they are sort of the same. Just replace the monsters with mirrors.

You should read "5 nights at Anon's" at fimfiction.net its like this only with sex driven mares. Waaaaay more awesome.