Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there really something to celebrate on birthdays?

RainbowMau

The fact that you still exist if that wasn't obvious already.  :maud:

Also that fact that you were..idk..born.  :maud:

That seems valid enough reason to celebrate in some form.  :maud:

but I'd rather die if i simply exist like a zombie. And people are born in this place all the time. I'm nothing special. And I'd really celebrate something for which i worked and won... something i achieved. Something i actually decided. :) i dont want to live for the sake of living.

I haven't seen what a present looks like since I was a kid. I don't celebrate birthdays anymore.

we have something in common

Here's one I forgot:

- You look backwards and you notice there are things you haven't done and you realize it's too late to do them.

Maybe that's the one that hurts the most.

i use that feeling to propel myself forward. So that i don't have to experience the same feeling again.

but I'd rather die if i simply exist like a zombie.

But your not a Zombie because a Zombie is considered dead for one and if you meant the informal definition than you are still alive regardless of your state of mind,however if you are in comatose or coma ect. you would also still be considered "alive" but also "dead" depending on the medical circumstances so admittedly that's a grey area and im rambling now.  :maud:

And people are born in this place all the time. I'm nothing special. And I'd really celebrate something for which i worked and won... something i achieved. Something i actually decided.

Just because people are born all the time doesn't make your birth or you any less special,because if you weren't born you would not be here and thus would not be capable of working/winning/achieving/deciding anything,and that wouldn't be special -- it wouldn't be anything. The fact you do exist to work/achieve/decide/win is special and makes you special because you can do those things because you exist.  :maud:

Thus the simple fact you are still alive regardless is something to celebrate in some form,and most people reserve such a celebration on their birthday(some more celebrative than others). However,i fault not one for not caring for a birthday as i see what you are saying and my statement wasn't meant to antagonize those who don't celebrate their birthday and i apologize if it came off as such.   :maud:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

But your not a Zombie because a Zombie is considered dead for one and if you meant the informal definition than you are still alive regardless of your state of mind,however if you are in comatose or coma ect. you would also still be considered "alive" but also "dead" depending on the medical circumstances so admittedly that's a grey area and im rambling now.  :maud:

Just because people are born all the time doesn't make your birth or you any less special,because if you weren't born you would not be here and thus would not be capable of working/winning/achieving/deciding anything,and that wouldn't be special -- it wouldn't be anything. The fact you do exist to work/achieve/decide/win is special and makes you special because you can do those things because you exist.  :maud:

Thus the simple fact you are still alive regardless is something to celebrate in some form,and most people reserve such a celebration on their birthday(some more celebrative than others). However,i fault not one for not caring for a birthday as i see what you are saying and my statement wasn't meant to antagonize those who don't celebrate their birthday and i apologize if it came off as such.   :maud:

your answer was anything but offensive lol :)

by zombie i meant every day being the same, and the purpose of life being food, sex and sleep. No offense to anyone who has that as their main priority.

Well that goes a lot deeper than what it looks like. I could send you a pm if you like, explaining my stance properly.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on how you look at it. It's either another year of being alive, or another year closer to death. An advancement towards greater things, or the moving on from past memories. It's all perspective.

your answer was anything but offensive lol :)

by zombie i meant every day being the same, and the purpose of life being food, sex and sleep. No offense to anyone who has that as their main priority.

Well that goes a lot deeper than what it looks like. I could send you a pm if you like, explaining my stance properly.

I understood what you meant,however i just wanted to clarify more on what i meant by the post you quoted -- as i perhaps thought you may have mistook it as broad antagonistic statement on those who don't care to celebrate their birthday as i could have worded my final sentence better as i look back on it. :maud:

However,trust me,i understand what you mean to live life not just live a dull and boring redundant existence with no joy what so ever outside of bodily functions ect.  :maud:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

Depends on how you look at it. It's either another year of being alive, or another year closer to death. An advancement towards greater things, or the moving on from past memories. It's all perspective.

How about on a day you realize how much you wasted your life and you're now "X" very badly lived years old?

Edited by RainbowMau

I understood what you meant,however i just wanted to clarify more on what i meant by the post you quoted -- as i perhaps thought you may have mistook it as broad antagonistic statement on those who don't care to celebrate their birthday as i could have worded my final sentence better as i look back on it. :maud:

However,trust me,i understand what you mean to live life not just live a dull and boring redundant existence with no joy what so ever outside of bodily functions ect.  :maud:

a complete agreement is what this looks like ^_^
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, I'm with Rainbow on this one. Celebrating my evolution from being a parasite into an individual human being never made sense to me. Sure, I survived another year, but really, I survived every day in between, one at a time. Why do I get a cake and presents every 365th/366th? I won't reject your presents, but I won't understand why I'm getting them either. It just is. I don't even think about it. This year, I remembered my birthday when I got a card a few days before hand from my dentist. I just don't see it as special, it's just another day to me.

How about on a day you realize how much you wasted your life and you're now "X" very badly lived years old?

That may be a valid thought when you are in your 60's. You are in your 20's. You are still young. Like I said earlier ... I am 10 years older than you man. Trust me when I say that a LOT can happen in 10 years.

You are still young. Why do I know this? Because I'm 37, and 37 isn't old. /Monty Python.

Carpe Diem man!

My age has never inhibited me. In fact, I've found that the older I get, the better my life becomes.

As a society we're constantly told that our youth is the best days of our lives and that we will never be as happy and beautiful and carefree as we were in our college/high school days. Well, I call bullshit on that.

I turn 25 this year. I can honestly say I would never go back. Each year a new, wonderful chapter of life unfolds. I learn new things. I meet new people. I gain new experience and responsibilities. I become wiser. I become more secure in myself. I make new memories with my family and friends.

If you don't want to "grow up" in the sense that you don't want to become an old fuddy-duddy that just goes to work and then sits on their couch watching football games while they slowly get weaker, fatter, and lonelier.... Then don't! Find a job you love. Keep nurturing your hobbies (even the "childish" ones!). Go for a walk outside. Read books and play with toys. Watch cartoons. Go out with friends on Friday nights and stay out til the bars close. Eat cake for breakfast. Wear whatever the hell you want. Basically, just be who you are! Don't let age define you because it doesn't.

My mom is my greatest inspiration when it comes to staying young at heart. She is nearly 50 but still is so exuberant. She loves bright, neon colors. She wears bows in her long brown hair. She collects Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, and Disney stuff. She gets stoked when she sees a new limited edition Chips Ahoy flavor at the store. She still jams out to 80's rock. Basically, she's living proof that life is what you make it. Just because you're aging doesn't mean you have to act stereotypically "old."

• Brohoof 1