Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP Playing it Safe?

Harmony Spark

I have been wondering this for a while but do you think MLP is playing it safe and not taking too many risks. What I mean by risks, I mean the staff making dark, scary episodes like cartoons have done in the past or having the show make witty parodies or anything that'll make the show more appealing to all ages. If MLp did take a risk then the show would be a lot better and will definitely stop people for thinking that MLP is just a girls show. By doing these risks, the show would still be charming and well-written but also not afraid to speak its mind.

There have been plenty of cartoons that did scary episodes and it still were hits towards children. Like Speed Demon from Powerpuff Girls. That show was still a popular hit towards children back then but that episode was very scary and surely made Powerpuff Grls more popular than ever. Courage the Cowardly Dog did dark, frightening episodes all the time. Including Samurai Jack, any kids show back in the 80s-90s had scar episodes every now and then. So I think MLP should have a go at doing something they haven't done before.

In the episode Putting Your Hoof Down, Fluttershy in anger said 'NOpony gives a flying feather!' Which was quite a surprise to see from a show for little girls. But in the episode Testing Testing 1,2,3, when rainbow dash put something on Twilight's chair, it wasn't a whoppee cushion, it was a bicycle horn. I found that a little weird since there's nothing wrong with toilet humor as long as it's not against the show's charm, but I understand that's what the writers were afraid of doing.

But still, MLP should still do some dark, scary episodes, or show a little blood, or have the characters go through psychological journeys. Something that we haven't seen MLP do before. Now that the show had matured along with the audience, now would be the better time.

However, the writers should just do what they do best; write good stories for the characters we know and love. Have a bit of lore and world-building here and there. I would like to see a scary episode but now I realise I'm just being a bit too entitled. I think the writers are doing an excellent job all ready and we, as a fandom and community, shouldn't force the writers into making decisions that may ruin the show's charm and spirit. So I say carry on, Megan McCarthy! I have faith in you and all of the writers! (Salutes whilst crying liquid pride)

(I wonder if Genndy Tartarofsky or Craig McCracken might join the writing staff later on? Hmmm...)

But still, do you think MLP should play it safe or take a few risks every now and then?

Edited by Harmony Spark
  • Brohoof 2

Playing it safe? avoiding dark subjects/themes/plots?

Well lets just start off by saying that MLP is a kid's show, it always has been and as far as I can see, it will remain a kid's show.

Sure, the brony community has influenced the show in many ways but the show is aimed at kids primarily, not at us bronies.

The developers care more for the main audience (kids) rather than the unusual grown up men.

Edited by SwigglySwiggly
  • Brohoof 7

Actually, considering this past season, I would say otherwise. Ok, maybe they are playing it safe, but not too safe.

• Brohoof 3

By the standards of the fandom, yes, it's playing it as safe as air travel. You've got to remember that MLP was allowed to exist by its corporate masters in order to persuade young children to buy pieces of mass-produced plastic; we just got lucky that the lady who originally got the task of doing this happened to be, arguably, a creative visionary.

And because of that, they really want to avoid anything at all that could possibly drive young children away from the show. Compare that to the Avatar cartoons; they weren't pushing merchandise a tenth as much, so they could get off with some fascinating themes like militant racism, propaganda, and genocide, and still be aimed at children. Whereas...

P.S. Regardless, I'm with you 100% about wishing that the show pushed limits just a little bit. Like tackling homophobia or atheism or something, at least.

• Brohoof 3

I wish it would be a bit more daring with it's story lines...I mean just because something is a kids show it doesn't mean it can't tackle more complex themes. I must admit I occasionally find myself get really bored during mlp episodes, they can be predictable and even when there is a moderate threat, I always know that some sort of magical mcguffin will abruptly save the day.

I don't expect my little pony to ever be as dark and compelling as an adult TV show, but I think the writers are underestimating their audience, and that includes the child side of it. All I want is to see the characters actually over come something with effort and hard work as opposed to some unexplained sparkly, friendship, rainbow power. ;__;

Edited by Flytee

Playing it safe? avoiding dark subjects/themes/plots?

Well lets just start off by saying that MLP is a kid's show, it always has been and as far as I can see, it will remain a kid's show.

Sure, the brony community has influenced the show in many ways but the show is aimed at kids primarily, not at us bronies.

The developers care more for the main audience (kids) rather than the unusual grown up men.

That's impossible.

I think they're trying to cater equally to both, I mean, did you see Twilight's Kingdom Part 2? 

And while that may not be the gist of it. I don't particular care for a completely dark plot or a storyline in MLP FiM.

If I wanted a dark plot, I'd go watch something like the Anime Attack on Titan, or Sword Art Online, or Higurashi.

• Brohoof 3

I'd have to agree that the intentions the corporate parent have of the show as a toy ad hold it back from doing certain themes that may be deemed "too sad" or "too dark" for the target audience. Granted, the creative staff do all they can to push the envelope as much as they are allowed.

There's also the fact that the format of the show, with its strict adherence to friendship lessons and a 22-minute format, would be problematic for certain storylines.

• Brohoof 3

If you want to watch something dark, My Little Pony is never going to be your best option. That's just not what the show is. It's practically the opposite of dark. It's very optimistic.

I don't think that means the show plays it safe, though. It tackles some pretty complex issues. Twilights mental health in Lesson Zero comes to mind. Also, that fight scene in Twilight's Kingdom was probably risky for them to make.

• Brohoof 3

That's probably my greatest dislike of FiM. It doesn't take any risks. No death mention or shown, no lethal danger, nothing close to dangerous.

Then again, this proves the obvious Old shows > New shows.

Edited by Darker
  • Brohoof 2

Correction. Pinkie Apple Pie shows an eagle clearly killing a fish. Scoops it right out of the water. Twice, in fact.

That's nature. Obvious nature being nature. This show never shows real problems and takes them seriously. NEVER. It's all happy and even if there's a sad moment, they will know take it seriously.

• Brohoof 1

First of all, MLP already appeals to a broad range of age groups. If you don't believe me, walk through a pony convention.

Second, if you want a relatively dark scary episode, go back and watch The Stare Master again. That scene where the Crusaders encounter a petrified Twilight, and she later is seen on her side with a snail crawling over her, is straight out of horror films. They just don't make dark scary stuff the focus.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question here, "Taking risks" on dark things seems to go against a lot of what makes MLP FIM great to begin with.

I mean for me, and from what I gather a lot of other bronies, MLP FIM is an escape. It's all set in this idealistic world free from many of the negative aspects of ours. "Making it darker" would seem to be about making their world more like ours, which would not work at all.

• Brohoof 6

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question here, "Taking risks" on dark things seems to go against a lot of what makes MLP FIM great to begin with.

I mean for me, and from what I gather a lot of other bronies, MLP FIM is an escape. It's all set in this idealistic world free from many of the negative aspects of ours. "Making it darker" would seem to be about making their world more like ours, which would not work at all.

Yah, I agree, and am one of those pegasisters that doesn't like the dark stuffs either. ;)

Sorry, but i dunno what Hasbro's motives for the show are, so I can't really add all that much to the conversation, but I have a feeling that this thread will get a ton posts.

That's impossible.

I think they're trying to cater equally to both, I mean, did you see Twilight's Kingdom Part 2? 

And while that may not be the gist of it. I don't particular care for a completely dark plot or a storyline in MLP FiM.

If I wanted a dark plot, I'd go watch something like the Anime Attack on Titan, or Sword Art Online, or Higurashi.

Sword Art Online isn't really that dark comparatively to the other two.

Compare that to the Avatar cartoons; they weren't pushing merchandise a tenth as much, so they could get off with some fascinating themes like militant racism, propaganda, and genocide, and still be aimed at children.

exactly why I love Airbender more than MLP, because they could tackle stuff like that and depict characters angry sad or happy despite the circumstances.

Dark subjects...

Well, bear in mind that we've had a Nightmare that terrorized Ponyville, a chaotic demi-god that nearly "controlled" the world and shattered the Elements, a Changeling invasion that was an act of war, and an other-worldly being that harvested ponies' magical essence to gain control of all of Equestria and enslave the world.

There's some dark stuff in MLP:FiM, but nothing too questionable.

Edited by Starfall_Quillwaver
  • Brohoof 4

Huh? Dude, MLP has plenty of dark moments. Just because there's a positive resolution doesn't mean the moments aren't dark.

Happiness ruins sad and dark moments. It either doesn't fit or destroys the atmosphere.

That's entirely subjective. Some people like dark moments with dark resolutions. Some people like dark moments with positive resolutions. Some people don't like dark moments at all.

I like them all alright. But...

MLP was something that started out dark. It began good and what followed G1 were two pretty girly or teenageous childish shows. Why wasn't FiM, which was produced by the very famous but not so talented Lauren Faust, not that different from the rest, and with even less dark stuff than the previous gen?

I think since G4 is a revamped version of the previous gens, it should follow the dark stuff G1 had. It would be pretty appealing. At least that's what I wanted when It aired on 2010.

• Brohoof 1

I like them all alright. But...

MLP was something that started out dark. It began good and what followed G1 were two pretty girly or teenageous childish shows. Why wasn't FiM, which was produced by the very famous but not so talented Lauren Faust, not that different from the rest, and with even less dark stuff than the previous gen?

I think since G4 is a revamped version of the previous gens, it should follow the dark stuff G1 had. It would be pretty appealing. At least that's what I wanted when It aired on 2010.

Darker, I think you need to...

Let it go.

post-28184-0-41413800-1412611525_thumb.jpg

Though honestly, I agree with you, I don't think we're ever going to be able to go back to that level. G1 would to be comparable to Courage the Cowardly Dog in some regards, and scratching Avatar at its highest moments.

Recently, there's been a large gap in media, with an "adult themes for adults" and "kids themes for kids" vibe that pretty much prevents that from ever happening. Nickelodeon is basically the default threshold for children now, anything higher is either going to be shunted off into shows designed for teens, or confined to a Disney movie.

• Brohoof 3

I'm just happy that for once a show is allowed to get away with female characters walking around in the buff showing off their shapely flanks. The show puts in effort to have you look at their flanks. There is some innocent yet can be interpreted as sexual undertones.

Otherwise I think the show doesn't delve deep enough into the nature of the problems and chooses a rather quick fix solution. 

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 3

Darker, I think you need to...

Why you little Mother-!..  :angry:

Though honestly, I agree with you, I don't think we're ever going to be able to go back to that level. G1 would to be comparable to Courage the Cowardly Dog in some regards, and scratching Avatar at its highest moments.

I don't think it's that much, considering how incredibly dark Courage the Cowardly Dog is, or how violent is Avatar.

Recently, there's been a large gap in media, with an "adult themes for adults" and "kids themes for kids" vibe that pretty much prevents that from ever happening. Nickelodeon is basically the default threshold for children now, anything higher is either going to be shunted off into shows designed for teens, or confined to a Disney movie.

A friend and I discussed how much parents ranted for the DBZ-ish fight in the S4 finale, and I asked to myself:

-"Did any of the parents saw Tirek in G1 threatening to behead a BABY?"

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it's that much, considering how incredibly dark Courage the Cowardly Dog is, or how violent is Avatar.

Considering genocide gets brought up and acted out successfully in G1 several times, I don't think it's that far off. Remove the crappy eighties soundtrack, change character aesthetics, and slight tweak the situation to compensate for a higher rating, and you could very well have Avatar, though the show is too disjointed to ever make that kind of a story, obviously.

• Brohoof 1

Considering genocide gets brought up and acted out successfully in G1 several times, I don't think it's that far off. Remove the crappy eighties soundtrack, change character aesthetics, and slight tweak the situation to compensate for a higher rating, and you could very well have Avatar, though the show is too disjointed to ever make that kind of a story, obviously.

I guess it makes sense that way...

If the writers would be given more freedom for what they can do, then I think they actually would go in for a bit of a "darker" tone, but I still think MLP has made some amazing episodes even with their limits. Remember, "darker" isn't equal to "better".

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty sure the writers are playing safe because they have to focus on the fact that it's a children's show. Even though most of MLP:FiM's audience is made up of grown men and women, there are children on the show who I'm pretty sure wouldn't like to see a lot of violence and gore. The writers have taken many risks already like Twilight's battle scene in 'Twilight's Kingdom', the scary episodes, and that Applejack's parents are dead (well we don't really know that but we've come to a conclusion). I'm pretty sure children don't want to see a show about death so they didn't mention it but gave us hints!

Applejack_Shooting_Stars_S3E08.png

Correct me if I am wrong please.

• Brohoof 1