Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cars

Plageius

I figured as such. Need to get back into it.

I have an obscure (but fun) Wii racing game called GT Pro Series. You can be like Initial D in that game.

I've got a PS2 game in the same vein that references it any time it can. It's called Tokyo Extreme Racer: Drift 2. Here's a picture of one of the rivals I had to face:

post-14714-0-18693600-1412817121_thumb.jpg

I busted up when it threw that'n at me. 

post-14714-0-18693600-1412817121_thumb.jpg

I like cars from nearly every type. 

EVs, hot hatches, GT cars, supercars, sports cars, HOLY-SHIT-FUCKING-FAST cars, hybrids (to a certain extent), so on and so forth.

Want this:

Fiat500Abarth-01-0312-lgn.jpg

It's a affordable, a dealer is in Nashville, and they're awesome! :D

Drools over this:

650S-blue-front-mo_2869960b.jpg

The same applies for racing, to a certain extent.

For me, Group GT3 is the best (pony) racing category. You have cars from Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Bentley, Nissan, McLaren, Ferrari, and Porsche all on the same track at the same time, and you'll find these cars racing all over the world.

Initial D is wonderful, Ayaze. Great anime, it's quite unique in the genre. Well, except for eX-Driver, but that series was...kind of bleh. Main character gets a Lotus/Caterham Super Seven though, and I'm sure we all know how awesome that car was.

1968Lotus_01_700.jpg

Initial D is wonderful, Ayaze. Great anime, it's quite unique in the genre. Well, except for eX-Driver, but that series was...kind of bleh. Main character gets a Lotus/Caterham Super Seven though, and I'm sure we all know how awesome that car was.

1968Lotus_01_700.jpg

I love lotus.

I need to watch more of it. This and Zatch Bell.

• 4 weeks later...

I love cars, they're my passion and love everything involving cars just name it. My two favorite brands are Mitsubishi and Subaru. Rally bred cars are just badass everywhere.

Once you start driving a Subaru you don't go back, they're just awesome to drive.

subaru-impreza-rally.jpg

So many cars I want to own.

I love cars. My favorite cars are the 1969 Dodge Charger and the 1977 Pontiac Firebird since I prefer old 60s-70s muscle cars over anything else. I also like trucks too. I hate the smart car though.

Below are the two cars that I really want to own.

post-30427-0-36809700-1414944104.jpg

• Brohoof 2

HOW have I not found this yet?!... 

Oh, lol...

- *nods* ... hey, nice to see you here.  But that's to be expected.

Oh, and to all the rest of you's... Nissan (whom at one point was Chrysler) is the number 1 gear-head here.  

I'm a big gear-head myself, but he's got me beat on imports... Now, as far as American cars go, I know more about Fords (or at least I'd like to think so) than he does.

---

However... If you would so allow me to do the honor, I ask all of you who think you can one-up me on motor oil ... to try ... (laughs hysterically).

B)

I'm a lubrication expert.  And, I mean engine oil, not that.  

:lol:

Here goes... *rubs hands together*

---

I could write a 10 page paper without even needing sources besides for pictures.  But.  I won't do that here.  I'm gonna just say a few things to get your oil flowing.  I mean your blood.   ;)

So, where to start.  Back a long time ago, oil used to be bad.  This is why some old folks like to say "brand x" is better than "brand y" because "x" sludges up like crazy.  Well, probably not the case anymore.  Ever since the API (American Petroleum Institution) got involved into certifying oils, and rating them, if an oil has an API donut (a legit certification), then it is good.  If it does not have certification... Don't use it!!! Unless it's a high mileage oil from a reputable company whose other non-hm oils have the API cert - in that case, it's fine...

img-3225580-1-oilgraphic500.jpg

Today's modern oils are multi-grade, meaning things like 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40, etc. (there are plenty more).

The "w" stands for cold start (oil flow).  The second number is the level of protection at operating temps (185*F to 210*F normally for gas engines). 

It is wisest to use the grade of oil as signified by your manufacturer unless you actually know what you are doing by using another grade.  In my case...

img-3225580-2-436a14903f.jpg

My 2001 F-150 specifies 5w-20 in the upgraded manual, but it used to specify 5w-30.  The engine didn't change.  CAFE regulations made them change grades because of the EPA (because of emissions, etc.).  I use 5w-30 because it is what my engine specified originally before the tree huggers got involved.  (No offense, I promise).  I know what's best for my truck.  So I use what I want to use.

There are 5 groups of oil.  Group I is obsolete.  Group II is conventional/dino oil.  Group III is semi-synthetic/blend.  Group IV is PAO or Poly-Alpha-Olefine synthetic, derived from the Ethylene chemistry.  Group V is a is for non-PAO synthetic, which are Ester base stocks.

1. "Conventional vs blend vs full synthetic?"

2. "3,000 mile oil changes"???

Pffft.  Let me help you.  Conventional oils can be used for 5k miles.  Now, that's not a "catch all"... but it's an approximation based on used oil analyses that show wear and tear as well as oil depletion (like, shearing, lost additives, burning, etc.).  The same is also applied to the following:
Synthetic blends can go for 5 to 7.5k miles.  (remember k = 1000).  Full synthetics? This is a bit more difficult to explain, because some can go for 7.5k to 12.5k miles, but others may go from 12.5k to 15k miles, or even more.  I wouldn't go beyond 12k just because I'm so traditional, I'd likely wind up changing at 7.5k to 10k miles.  

"Brands?  Generics?"

Again... does it have API certification?  If so, then it's good to use.  As long as you use the correct spec, that is.  

img-3225580-3-tlin456.gif

"No, but seriously... brands!!!?"

FINE.  I'll talk about it.  Pennzoil?  Good.  Mobil1?  Good.  Castrol?  Good.  Valvoline?  Good... You know what... no.  I ain't doing it.

IF it has API certification... It's good!!!

Even the el-cheapo Walmart brand oil SuperTech is... GOOD!  It's API certified!  

"What brand do you use?"

I've used many different brands.  I don't actually have a "favorite" brand.  I do have certain preferences, but they are only "just because" I like them more, not necessarily any scientific data to make my preferred brands any better.

"What brand's do you prefer, and what are you using now?"

I prefer: Valvoline, Pennzoil, and MAG1 oil.  But again, this has no "data" there to show that my preferred brands are any better, it's just what I like the most.  Currently I'm using MAG1 full synthetic 5w-30 with both ratings for Gasoline and Diesel engines; SM for gas, and CI-3 for diesel.  It's a very good oil with a very stout additive package.  This is because Diesel oils have higher levels of additives due to the soot created by those engines, but those additives are also beneficial for older gasoline engines.  

"What are additives?"

I could give you a long answer, but I'm tired, so I'm just gonna cheat and give you this link to look at some of the additives that go into oil.  This is a virgin oil analysis of Pennzoil API SN 5w-30.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Pennzoil.htm

"Whoa!  What do all those numbers mean?"

*Sigh* ... Parts Per Million of an additive, most likely.  For the numbers above that, TBN is a rating process for testing how long the oil will last before it depletes... Viscosity is the measurement of flow/resistance of oil at a certain temperature; viscosity means thickness.  This is why a 5w-30 will flow better than a 10w-30 on a cold start up.  Now, a cold start up is any start up where the engine is not at operating temperature.  Even if you're in a desert and it's 120*F, if the vehicle has not been running for more than a few hours, or if it's been sitting over night and hasn't been started that day, then it's still a "cold start" because it's below operating temperature.  Volatility is the measurement of how much oil is burnt.  Oils will burn over time, but to be certified, they have to be under the maximum allowed percentage loss.  The test measures loss through burning of an oil per hour at 250 degrees Celsius.

"Is that it?"

Oh dear... Nope.  However, seeing as I've already written half a novel here, I'm afraid I will need to cut this short soon.  But I'll tell you just a wee bit more.

Oil pressure is created by the tolerance/clearances of the oil passageways, as well as the oil gallery entry and exit ports.  Actually, it's mostly the exit ports.  Take your thumb and put it on the end of a running water hose.  See how it makes the water shoot harder and faster?  Oil flows via the same concept because oil pressure is created in the same manner.  

"Please... we want more!"

Okay okay.  Oil filters.

img-3225580-4-66567d1353994636-guinea-pi

Don't use the Orange Can of Death.  That is, don't use an orange Fram.  See those cardboard endcaps?  Compare it to those other Napa filters (made by Wix)... which have metal endcaps.

Back before I knew much about filters, I used an orange Fram once.  Never.  Again...  The filter element collapsed and the filter became stuck.  Neither I nor my dad could get it off by hand.  We wound up using a crowbar to get it off.  Don't ask how, lmao.

Purolator, Motorcraft (made by Purolator to Ford specs), Wix, and Napa (made by Wix) brand filters are the best mid-level filters available.

img-3225580-5-oil_filter_original_metal_

Just to bring the point home, here you have another comparison.  Motorcraft vs Fram.  I shouldn't need to explain this.

"Can you explain how they work?"

I can.  But a video does it for me, so less work for me.  Oh, and btw... this will be it for this post.

That's all for now, folks.

~ Miles  :smug:

Edited by Miles
  • Brohoof 1

Aston Martin for the win! B)

They have been my favourite cars since I was very young!

From DB-4 to DB-S and the one-77

They are beautiful, luxurious, sporty and British.

What more could you want from a car? :P

A jag coupe-r will do it for me.

I do not drive. I walk most the time. 

However I have always been a pretty big fan of cars. I like alot of the old Muscle cars. I think the pontiac gto is pretty sweet

pontiac-gto-1965a.jpg

Me and my whole family likes BMW, at the moment we own five BMWs. My favorite car is a BMW 5 series e 28, my dad have a turbo charged e 28 with around 380-420 hp.post-18926-0-02274200-1415494823_thumb.jpg

post-18926-0-57330200-1415495002_thumb.jpg

post-18926-0-21225600-1415495049_thumb.jpg

Edited by alexigen

Why yes, yes I do.

Hehe, joke aside, I love watching Mecom auto auctions on TV and seeing all the amazing old cars! :3 There was one I saw recently that was a gorgeous shade of aqua blue, and it was tiny! It was apparently designed for a housewife taking the kids to school. X3 It was seriously tiny and adorable! :3 I would find a picture but I don't remember what it is.

My fave old car though...besides all the random interesting ones on Mecom that I can never ever remember...

0_6084_Driver_Front.jpgHee hee! :3

• Brohoof 1

Track day... Bro?

That reminds me, the best car I have driven was an E46 M3. It did have the SMG, but that still didn't stop me flooring it and making the S54 sings it's beautiful song.

Do you have a E46 M3??? BMW E46 is one of the best looking 3 series M cars.