Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Daring Do Fiction?

Comet Tail

Posted Image

So, "Read it and Weep" never says if Daring Do was fiction or not. We kind of assume it is, but the sad thing is that keeps Daring from ever meeting Rainbow Dash or appearing on the show for real. (like in things like this) But I can't help but wonder - maybe she's fo' real. I mean, it's a show, and crazy things happen in it, so maybe it wouldn't be so outlandish to think they're real stories.

(Okay, of course it's fiction, but I always mean "within the MLP universe", here :P )

Or, more realistically, since Daring Do really seems like it's meant to be fiction (such unlikely action and stuff seems out-of-place in the MLP universe, and is clearly referencing Indiana Jones, I think it all strongly implies it's fiction), but I like to think of it this way; It's half-fiction.

Daring Do is based off of the author (who probably, might have a different name), who is an actual archeologist with a sense of adventure. But she's a real archeologist, there is no Ahuitzotl, or statue that can change the fate of the world, that's stuff she's written as fiction, but it's based off of reality;

She's probably getting paid by some museum, and some other archeologists are on to the same artifact. The result is a kind of a competition to find the dig sites, lost cities, etc., and if the other archeologists find it, they'll send it to a local museum instead of one back in Canterlot where the artifacts can be studied. In her fiction, she turns the competition into the evil Ahuitzotl to make it more adventurous.

On her expeditions, she's seen old traps - spike pits that were once covered, but have decayed and no longer are, so she can easily walk around them. She once saw a tiled floor, and in some bout of imagination imagined - what if it was trapped at some time?

Her active imagination and thirst for adventure led her to her hobby of writing. An archeologist by day, and an author by night, she turned her interesting experiences as an archeologist, made the competition into an evil villain, made the traps still work, raised the stakes and viola', she turned it into a best-selling adventure book series.

Posted Image

It's not dishonesty; she publishes them as fiction, but she gets the ideas from her real experiences then goes off on an imaginitive bout with them. And Daring Do, is basically her adventerous side. IRL she's a lot like that, and loves the adventure of going into the jungle and exploring ruins; but she's not quiet as crazy as the fictional Daring; she does it with a team instead of by herself, and on top of being like Daring Do, she also has an active imagination, and is a little bit of a bookworm (just a little).

That's what I think of the author. Is she ever named? (assuming the author is a mare)

What do y'all think? :P

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 4

Daring Do is a fictional character within a fictional show with fictional characters. Fictionception.

We must go deeper. Rainbow Dash must read a Daring Do book about Daring Do reading a book about a heroic pony.

Or better yet, Rainbow reads about Daring Do reading about Rainbow O_O

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 5

I love the OPs suggestion that Daring Do is half fiction. I don't think it will be canon, but I would love to see fan art/fics about the author of the Daring Do series as described above. Assuming that they don't mention the name of the author in the episode (I'm pretty sure they don't, but someone might double check?) what name should this author have?

EDIT: misspelled canon (it's just two n's right?)

Edited by PaxSlayer

I love the OPs suggestion that Daring Do is half fiction. I don't think it will be canon, but I would love to see fan art/fics about the author of the Daring Do series as described above. Assuming that they don't mention the name of the author in the episode (I'm pretty sure they don't, but someone might double check?) what name should this author have? EDIT: misspelled canon (it's just two n's right?)

Well, I can see two options for sources of inspiration:

Indiana Jones' name is actually: Dr. Henry Walton Jones

Or, I like this one better, the original Indiana Jones, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was written by George Lucas and Philip Kaufman. Is there some way to ponify and make female "Philip Kaufman"?...

Well, I can see two options for sources of inspiration:

Indiana Jones' name is actually: Dr. Henry Walton Jones

Or, I like this one better, the original Indiana Jones, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was written by George Lucas and Philip Kaufman. Is there some way to ponify and make female "Philip Kaufman"?...

I think that's a good compromise. It's certainly a more likely situation than the OPs idea... I'd like to see either one personally. :P

I think that's a good compromise. It's certainly a more likely situation than the OPs idea... I'd like to see either one personally. :P

Okay... I'm confused now. I was talking about names :huh:

Okay... I'm confused now. I was talking about names :huh:

OH! Sorry. I thought you were suggesting that the author of Daring Do be synonymous with Philip Kaufman, one of the writers of "Indiana Jones".

Edited by PaxSlayer

Daring Do is a fictional character within the show's continuum. Rainbow Dash is a serious fan-girl! I want to see her start cosplaying soon. They should have her wear the hat, but get embarrassed and hide it whenever one of her friends comes near!

LOL

Oh, and since Equestria does have motion pictures, maybe Rainbow Dash could go crazy trying to meet the actress playing her hero! Better still, have Photo Finish give her a screen test for the role!

(I know she's a still photographer, but what the heck!)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Filly Kaufstallion.

That is the shittiest name I have ever come up with. V:

It's shitty. So shitty it just... might... work.

That's the first time I've ever sworn in a post. Just FYI.

Edited by Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 2

I believe there is already a thread on this (correct me if I'm wrong) Yes, Daring Do is indeed a fictional character in a story within a story, which is, My Little Pony:Friendship is magic. Hope that helped!

• 1 month later...

I like to think of it like this- Daring Do is a real pony, and all of those things did happen. Daring Do wanted to tell her story without getting famous so she wrote the series under an alias and never tells anyone she's really Daring Do. And besides, no one would believe her if she told everypony it was true, so it shall stay a "fictional" book. It would be cool though if they made a Daring Do movie and Daring Do played herself to get some spotlight without blowing the secret.

Lol, it took me a while to understand the question; I had forgotten about that character. I think it could go either way: "Daring Do" could chronicle the adventures of old time adventurer or she could still be young very much alive or she could simply be fictional. Thing is with MLP being such an open ended serial there are a number of things that could be done with that. It all depends on what the writers decide.

• Brohoof 1

Daring Do is a fictional character within a fictional show with fictional characters. Fictionception.

We must go deeper. Rainbow Dash must read a Daring Do book about Daring Do reading a book about a heroic pony.

Or better yet, Rainbow reads about Daring Do reading about Rainbow O_O

Rainbow Dash reads a Daring Do about Daring Do watching an episode of My Little Pony where Rainbow reads a book about Daring Do watching an episode of....

INFINITE LOOP.

I just read a hilarious fic where Daring Do got sucked into our world and Indy got sucked into Equestria...and at the end it turns out

it's Daring Do fanfic written by RD (aided by Rarity I think?)

:D

Considering she is most likely that worlds equivalent of Indy, who is a fictional charcater in our universe, she must be a fictional charcater in their universe, too.

I like to think of it like this- Daring Do is a real pony, and all of those things did happen. Daring Do wanted to tell her story without getting famous so she wrote the series under an alias and never tells anyone she's really Daring Do. And besides, no one would believe her if she told everypony it was true, so it shall stay a "fictional" book. It would be cool though if they made a Daring Do movie and Daring Do played herself to get some spotlight without blowing the secret.

Hmm. Am I the only one thinking of... Marco Polo was it?

Told fantastic stories of dragons and such, then said he'd only said half of what he'd seen, because he thought nobody would believe him?

Or, some other author, that hinted at something like this, publishing it as fiction because nobody would believe it as non-fiction.

I believe there is already a thread on this (correct me if I'm wrong) Yes, Daring Do is indeed a fictional character in a story within a story, which is, My Little Pony:Friendship is magic. Hope that helped!

Darn, sorry to double-post. I'm curious how that thread went...

Why are ya so sure it's fiction? The stories are fantastic, but not much more fantastic than, hey, the entire MLP universe :P (particularly the adventures of the mane 6 )

Haha, if it's real, that's exactly how I'd think it is.

What I put in the OP was more like reality, but this sounds more like Equestria to me :D

Filly Kaufstallion.

I like it.

Hmm. Am I the only one thinking of... Marco Polo was it?

Told fantastic stories of dragons and such, then said he'd only said half of what he'd seen, because he thought nobody would believe him?

Or, some other author, that hinted at something like this, publishing it as fiction because nobody would believe it as non-fiction.

(first off on phone) then we can add an excuse to insert a yo dawg joke and/or inception joke. I mean it seems obvious that Daring Do is in a book in the FiM universe, maybe based off a supposedly real adventurer?

Darn, sorry to double-post. I'm curious how that thread went...

Why are ya so sure it's fiction? The stories are fantastic, but not much more fantastic than, hey, the entire MLP universe :P (particularly the adventures of the mane 6 )

Haha, if it's real, that's exactly how I'd think it is.

What I put in the OP was more like reality, but this sounds more like Equestria to me :D

I like it.